Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C15 Waitin' on the call!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rashe591

Thank you :) fingers crossed i hope. Yeaah i know, but its definately what i'd love to do :) i've spoke to people i know in the job already and they've given mixed responses but i guess i'll have the time to think it over whilst waitingg. Ahh, have you done your medical etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 nursey

thanks rio...rc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭0607

rashe591 wrote: »
    well done to yous all:) im totally jealous! im RC with merit score of 400 so i guess theres no point waiting around then right? i'm still in school so i guess theres always next year!!

One of my previous merit placing was higher than that, and was successful, so theres no reason why 400 wouldnt be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

rashe591 wrote: »
    well done to yous all:) im totally jealous! im RC with merit score of 400 so i guess theres no point waiting around then right? i'm still in school so i guess theres always next year!!

I hope your 400 score is more than good enough!! I am still clinging on to the hope that my 700+ RC score will get me in, somehow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bubba1981

Does anyone know if there's calls going out in January? Or are they going to wait till Feb? At this stage no news is good news as far as I'm concerned as I'm just waiting on vetting to clear (it was sent off last July)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 von clinkerhoff

I imagine there'll be calls going out every five or six weeks. That's how they work the new squads in garnerville (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭poppysox

Yeah usually the calls are every 5/6 weeks but did someone not mention that there would only be 300 recruited this year instead of the usual 440 so the intakes might be staggered a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

Happy Christmas everyone! Hope 2010 will the year of the Garneville :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

is 189 non rc a good numbeer? i have a bit of bad credit history but i'll have 0debt by feb. thin i should hang by my phone?

I'm counting on it being good enough Gazza!
    Well done! (I hope)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jonnym61

is 189 non rc a good numbeer? i have a bit of bad credit history but i'll have 0debt by feb. thin i should hang by my phone?

Does Debt come into it? im almost exact the same as u Gazza but my credit history has been less than perfect in the past!

You have got me slightly more worried now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 peter_green

i am seriously considering applying next time round. i graduate this july coming and don't want to be stuck in an IT desk job...

how exactly are these merit scores calculated?

The application process normally goes like this...

Early March : Campaign is advertised and applications are submitted.

April / May : Initial selections begin. Tests covering basic numeracy and basic literacy as well as problem solving. (lke the old verbal reasoning tests.)

If you pass the initial selection...

June - August (ish!) : Assessment centre. Role-plays covering seven competencies.

If you are successful, you will be contacted and told your details will be passed to the PSNI. If not, you'll be told so.

The PSNI then either contact you and say no thanks or call you for a medical and ask you to submit vetting papers.

While this is going on you should get feedback from the Assessment Centre giving your score in each of the seven competencies.

This score is also passed to the PSNI who will create a list of names based primarily on the assessment centre, secondarily on the initial selection test and as a tie breaker they may consider size of boot required (larger boots cost more you see).

This list along with community background designation is used to pick who gets in.

It's all very straight forward as I'm sure you can see. Campaign 15 began in March 2009 with the first group of successful candidates starting training in January 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 peter_green

Thanks for the information - the more and more i look at it, the more i think this is the career for me, dissident threat or not.

I have been reading nearly every post in these threads and have 2 questions. I've read a lot about definitions. I take it these are infact what they say - definitions of what an offence is?

Also, i read somewhere you get your driving training too - it mentioned something about a provisional class c licence - what is this for, and, would it be advantagous to get this?

Cheers for the info again. I just hope given the current "threat" level, the numbers for recruits will go up a bit, although ive heard from a source that there is a recruitment freeze for the forseeable future given the financial situation atm

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

It's all very straight forward as I'm sure you can see. Campaign 15 began in March 2009 with the first group of successful candidates starting training in January 2010.

actually the first group from c15 started in november!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭0607

I have been reading nearly every post in these threads and have 2 questions. I've read a lot about definitions. I take it these are infact what they say - definitions of what an offence is?

Also, i read somewhere you get your driving training too - it mentioned something about a provisional class c licence - what is this for, and, would it be advantagous to get this?

You will get a small booklet with definitions on your SRN, or SRD (student registration day) as it is now. So, dont worry about it until you pass everything, and are invited along to the college.

Im not sure about the licencing, I suspect they just want you to be prepared to train to drive anything in their fleet...
    Im not sure what weight the tangi's are, but id say close to 5ton, which a C1 would cover. Category C is for any vehicle over 7.5T (with a trailer not over 750kgs). Again, I wouldnt worry. You'll be given a heads up in plenty of time and the opportunity to get what you need. Youve 21 weeks of training to go through before being let near a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

You need C1 on your licence in order to drive the trucks, if you dont have it dont worry. It is good to get it but dont be stressing if you dont have it. As long as you have your standard licence you'll be able to do the driving course to drive the cars in the fleet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭hotel glo

Hi all. I got a letter back in September saying that "the Chief Constable is not in a position to determine whether an offer can be made or not" and it was based on not knowing how many appointments can be made from the qualifying pool at that time.

So I thought sod it, i'll try again in March! But I got a letter a few days ago inviting me to a medical. I take it this means that I'm back in the hunt???!!! Is there anybody else in a similar situation with one of these letters?

Plus I havent been vetted yet, oddly!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

hotel glo wrote: »
    Hi all. I got a letter back in September saying that "the Chief Constable is not in a position to determine whether an offer can be made or not" and it was based on not knowing how many appointments can be made from the qualifying pool at that time.

So I thought sod it, i'll try again in March! But I got a letter a few days ago inviting me to a medical. I take it this means that I'm back in the hunt???!!! Is there anybody else in a similar situation with one of these letters?

Yeah, sounds like you're back in there.

I've a couple of friends got the same letter in sept. Out of interest what was your A/C score or merit position like?

• Advertisement

It falls between 200 and 210 and i'm non rc. I was surprised to get the 'in reserve' letter when i found out my merit score as i thought it to be ok. But hey, maybe i'm getting somewhere again. Does anybody else think i should have a vetting questionnaire by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 MILLBILLIES

Thats good news. I also got one of those letters in september and like you thought sod it wait until March and reapply. Have heard nothing further at this stage other than merit number is around 280 which i know on other years would probably have been good enough (non rc). Think its just a matter of sitting tight they are seem to be working through them slowly. Watch this space. Better get back to gym and shred few extra pounds put on over Christmas in case I get a medical date lol !

Thats good news. I also got one of those letters in september and like you thought sod it wait until March and reapply. Have heard nothing further at this stage other than merit number is around 280 which i know on other years would probably have been good enough (non rc). Think its just a matter of sitting tight they are seem to be working through them slowly. Watch this space. Better get back to gym and shred few extra pounds put on over Christmas in case I get a medical date lol !

Fingers crossed. The medical couldnt be coming at a better time for me as i've lost over 2 stone in the last 4 months! Out of interest, have you been vetted yet? And you mention that a merit number of 280 would have been good enough in previous years, is there less of an intake this year or why might it not be good enough this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭unistudent2009

Fingers crossed. The medical couldnt be coming at a better time for me as i've lost over 2 stone in the last 4 months! Out of interest, have you been vetted yet? And you mention that a merit number of 280 would have been good enough in previous years, is there less of an intake this year or why might it not be good enough this year?

There's been no official statement of a lower intake. You were never told in the letter in Sept that you were not being offered a place. one possibility is that people ahead of you have failed vetting/medicals and you are next in line to get processed. well done.

There's been no official statement of a lower intake. You were never told in the letter in Sept that you were not being offered a place. one possibility is that people ahead of you have failed vetting/medicals and you are next in line to get processed. well done.

Dont get me wrong, i was happy it wasnt a 'dear john' letter, but i wasnt overly optimistic that i would get back in the hunt either. I think what you say about failing medical and/or vetting is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭unistudent2009

Dont get me wrong, i was happy it wasnt a 'dear john' letter, but i wasnt overly optimistic that i would get back in the hunt either. I think what you say about failing medical and/or vetting is spot on.

I just hope that its not me who failed vetting!!!! Am i correct in saying that those who fail vetting get told?

The way I understand it goes is that you're informed if your vetting goes badly. If not, the first you hear is thhe call!

Just a wee update... Got my vetting stuff a few days ago and its been sent back. Just medical to go shortly and i'll be waiting for the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

Hey

Does anyone know what happens if you get the call and you have a holiday booked? Would like to get the summer holiday booked but don't want to book it and then loose my deposit.

If I phoned recruitment would they be able to advise or would they tell me to go away lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

IIRC they don't consider holiday bookings when offering appointments. If you want to defer, you better have a much better reason than that.

Advertisement