Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CK401 Computer Science

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Katiecupcakes

thanks sepulchrave :D:Dyeah i think ill put cs as my 1st opition any way maybe bis second:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

thanks sepulchrave :D:Dyeah i think ill put cs as my 1st opition any way maybe bis second:D

I'd have a look at all the computer courses first,Depending on your background(computer wise) you could find the course boring or not what you want,I've done a lot of practical PC stuff in my own time(breaking/fixing pc's ,networking etc) and therefore a course that so far has only been full of a vast majority of theory,has been fine, And different people do like different things so you might find networking written down is confusing but actually doing it will help you understand..

I've heard a few people mention that a lot more could be learnt better/quicker if we actually wrote a program containing an algorithm or designed the circuit on a breadboard, And therefore you should maybe just look at other courses which might be more your thing..

That said,I'm only speaking for myself..It's a great course but for someone who's new to computers and the world of I.T but it could get a bit frustrating only doing lectures/labs(web design,problem solving,multimedia) when they might want to be building computers etc..

Just a suggestion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Katiecupcakes

That said,I'm only speaking for myself..It's a great course but for someone who's new to computers and the world of I.T but it could get a bit frustrating only doing lectures/labs(web design,problem solving,multimedia) when they might want to be building computers etc..

Just a suggestion :)[/quote]

thanks for ur suggestion :Dbut building cumputers isnt really wat i had i mind i like sovling problemsa and web design is something im really intrested in:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 iNigel

I really want to do this coarse but with the amount of popularity it's getting I fear that the points will go up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Well its been 300 points for quite a few points so I cant imagine it suddenly shooting up in points, but I imagine it will get more popular as IT is one of the few areas where theres still tonnes of jobs available these days.

• Advertisement

thanks for ur suggestion :Dbut building cumputers isnt really wat i had i mind i like sovling problemsa and web design is something im really intrested in:D:D

Don't get me wrong,I'm sure at some point we will get to do stuff like that,I think John Morrison has mentioned it,And he's already shown us a bread board(circuit) so we are moving towards that stuff..

It seems a lack of the more hands on stuff has been due to the cuts in funding across the board.But I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 yo!its_yoyo

Hi, Could someone tell me if the economics module is cut from the year coming 2010/2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Just wondering are all the classes for this course in the WGB?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Liveit wrote: »

Your elective module is usually on campus somewhere, but everything else is in the WGB. They were this year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

All CS modules are in WGB. CS modules would account for the majority of modules taken. It may sound like a bad thing to be in the one build almost all the time but luckily its fantastic building. I don't miss main campus at all

• Advertisement

Thanks guys
    So what is the workload like?
    And how much did you know before you started the course?

Thanks guys
    So what is the workload like?
    And how much did you know before you started the course?

I knew feck all before starting but had a huge interest and thats what kept me going. You need to give it a chance and you will reap the benefits of the course. Its a tough 4 years but ultimately rewarding.

I have grown a bit disinterested in some areas of IT after doing it for 4 years and i'm gonna do a masters in BIS next year to crossover to something like management consulting or IT analyst at a financial company. But the CS background will be of great benefit to me in either of those roles.

The workload is tough to deal with in first year because all of the concepts are so new and it takes time to get your head around them. Second year is the hardest year for many but although the general workload doesn't lighten too much your ability to handle it grows.

The best advice I could give you is to make friends in your class. This is made easier given the smaller class size compared to other courses. I learned so much from my classmates and vice-versa because I understood some stuff that they didn't and they picked up some stuff quicker than me

So what do you think of the course overall?

So what do you think of the course overall?

Overall I enjoyed it. There are somethings you will be taught that you will never use again. But I think its its no so much what you learn in this course but how you learn to think and work out problems

Problem solving ability is a great skill and they teach it well here

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Ah.... I'm going to miss first year! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I'm thinking of changing my CAO no.1 to CS this year.

I'd like to be able to code, and i am quite familiar with computers in general (just no coding, bar basic HTML)

Am i wasting my time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I'm thinking of changing my CAO no.1 to CS this year.

I'd like to be able to code, and i am quite familiar with computers in general (just no coding, bar basic HTML)

Am i wasting my time?

I went into the course very familiar with computers, having built a few, some motherboards, made a few websites. It's still a very challenging course. There's a guy currently in First Year who has worked in AI for the past 8 years, he came out of the last test saying that he found it very difficult.

It's a tough course, I don't really get why you're asking if you're wasting your time ? If you have no prior programming knowledge, essentially everything you do will be new to you - CS is a course to become a programmer, after all !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Does anybody know what the story is with our elective module next year? Or more specifically, when we can get rid of it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

dorgasm wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the story is with our elective module next year? Or more specifically, when we can get rid of it :p

At the start of next year, thank Christ ! We've to pick 60 credits, and we can pick all CS ones if we like ! Or change to a different elective. Pity we can't just do Irish, would be so easy !

dorgasm wrote: »

Sooner the better :D

It also means, In second year we'll just be confined to the WGB if we pick no non CS modules.. Pretty handy on a rainy day :)

• Advertisement

Looks like it's gonna be all CS modules next year ha, delighted to hear that now :D There wont be any guilt for not going to maths purely because of the walk up to the boole!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Aren't all your maths classes in the WGB considering that's where the maths department is?

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Aren't all your maths classes in the WGB considering that's where the maths department is?

Nope, that would make sense though but only one class is in WGB, the other two are in the boole basement! I was doing MA1003, but I think the other maths module MA1054 had most of theirs in the WGB, but I'm not 100%.

It would be ok if they were all in the WGB but when you have a CS lecture in the WGB immediately before a maths lecture in the boole it's just impossible to make it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

I'd like to have classes on main campus too... :(

(Not that the WGB doesn't look awesome)

I'd like to have classes on main campus too... :(

(Not that the WGB doesn't look awesome)

I hate main campus, Western gate is where it's at! :pac:

I'm looking forward to second year now, 2 months and 10 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

N-N-N-N-NECRO BUMP!

Hows it going, didn't feel like starting a new thread, hop this bump is ok with the mods. Anyone on here in First Year now? How're ye finding it? Also <3 Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I miss first year :( (final year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mmmuffin

As a recent CS graduate. I do not envy any of you :P

Seriously though, it's an awesome degree to have!

• Advertisement

Mmmuffin wrote: »
    Seriously though, it's an awesome degree to have!

+1

I graduated too recently and the cs degree is very strong when job hunting

Advertisement