Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CK401 Computer Science

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

deRanged wrote: »
    the wireless is now active in the WGB. I don't actually have a device registered to check it myself, but the email went around that it's available.

Its faster than the wireless on main campus because the WGB has its own wireless controller

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

Thinking of doing CS next year, just wondering, if you dont know that much about programming languages etc how hard would it be to pick it up?
    Also, what kind of multimedia content is in the course? Can you do an elective in it or what? Any info is apprieciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

dodgystuff wrote: »
    Thinking of doing CS next year, just wondering, if you dont know that much about programming languages etc how hard would it be to pick it up?

you don't need to know anything about programming before you start. they'll show you anything you need, then it's up to you to spend the time in the labs practising. you'll pick it up fine if you put the effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sepulchrave

Well the free software is great, Win7 Pro is now my primary OS along with Ubuntu. I wonder who is picking up the cheque? I can't see Microsoft giving all that away for nothing.

There must have been something very wrong with us when my class was in first year last year, everytime I walk past the first year labs all I see is games being played on the pc's, all we did was worked and browsed the web! Then again the computers in the Food Science Building Block E labs were not up to much. God help them if they came in last year! :P On the bright side I saw them doing some work in there once the other day :D

It's great to have the wireless on now!

deRanged, having been to many lectures now I must say the lights are awful, they just keeping coming on and going off for no apparent reason, so I pity you at your desk!

Well the free software is great, Win7 Pro is now my primary OS along with Ubuntu. I wonder who is picking up the cheque? I can't see Microsoft giving all that away for nothing.

There must have been something very wrong with us when my class was in first year last year, everytime I walk past the first year labs all I see is games being played on the pc's, all we did was worked and browsed the web! Then again the computers in the Food Science Building Block E labs were not up to much. God help them if they came in last year! :P On the bright side I saw them doing some work in there once the other day :D

It's great to have the wireless on now!

deRanged, having been to many lectures now I must say the lights are awful, they just keeping coming on and going off for no apparent reason, so I pity you at your desk! must do CS1107
    Also, what kind of multimedia content is in the course? Can you do an elective in it or what? Any info is apprieciated!

In first year you have to do CS1107, Introduction to Multimedia Authoring Systems, for Period 1 (September to December), which is all about manipulating and creating images using Photoplus X2 (a Photoshop alternative, the department does not support Adobe's monopoly in the market), and a bit of sound editing and recording with Audacity. You also do a tiny bit of movie editing with Movieplus X3, it is not examined and you basically take two clips and put them together. That's all you do in it.

In second year, new this year, you have the option of doing CS2508, Animation, which is about animation techniques and obviously creating them. Its in Period 2 from January to March and so has not started yet, I am not doing it, so don't know anything about it. My friend is though so he might have more info once the time comes. All this is part of the course re-design and my year was the first to take it, so I don't know how 3rd year and 4th year are being changed yet so I can't say what kind of multimedia will be in those years if any. The department also offers an MSc in Interactive Media though once you have your BSc.

In first year you learn php for programming, in combination with (x)html. It is not hard if you go to labs, lectures, and practice. In second year you learn Java. It's harder than php because it is a strongly typed language, but not hard either. For example in php ypu could declare a variable say, $animal = "badger"; php knows it is a string, in java you have to declare this information, String animal = "badger"; . Same for integers, php: $number = 1;, java: int number = 1;

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

x43r0 wrote: »
    Its faster than the wireless on main campus because the WGB has its own wireless controller

Has it?Haven't noticed any major differences in speed tbh,Suppose it depends on the time of day...
    Multimedia in first year is ,Photo manipulation(using photoplus) abit of sound and video editing towards the end of the year.Depending on what you've done already it can get quite boring..

Programming is fine,If you have some spare time during your Summer have a look over (X)HTML,If you're planning on partying a lot an advantage in that will help :pac:

• Advertisement

Ricky, you guys are very lucky, I was looking at Derek's CS1109 page, trying to remember the good times, when I saw your already doing php, last year we didnt start php until 3 days before Christmas! We spent thewole time up to then looking at (x)html! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

@ sepulchrave.
    Just browsing through the thread as i was once in this course and i noticed you said free software and pointed to win 7. Did you get this just for being a uni student of was it die tzo the comp Science conection? I know its off topic but im just curious :P.

Ricky, you guys are very lucky, I was looking at Derek's CS1109 page, trying to remember the good times, when I saw your already doing php, last year we didnt start php until 3 days before Christmas! We spent thewole time up to then looking at (x)html! :D

lol,Woah that's pretty cool then looking forward to PHP :D
    @ sepulchrave.
    Just browsing through the thread as i was once in this course and i noticed you said free software and pointed to win 7. Did you get this just for being a uni student of was it die tzo the comp Science conection? I know its off topic but im just curious :P.

It was just the Computer Science Students(AFAIK) pretty cool though,Using
    windows 7 professional as my OS on my new laptop,Beat vista :D

And pressing the windows key and tab at the same time is very handy(i know it was on vista but I've only ever used the basic of that!)

@ sepulchrave.

Ricky is right, it's some e-academic campus in partnership with MSDN, all undergrads at least have been registered on it, we get what must be thousands of euros worth of software (including Win 7 before it is released to the public! :P) for nothing! It is only the Computer Science students though not the whole university!
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    lol,Woah that's pretty cool then looking forward to PHP

Do, I love php! Java is being a bitch on this assignment I'm working on right now despite it being far more powerful and extensive than php, if I could do it in php I would have it done in 60 seconds! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Liessssssss!

• Advertisement

Jeebus wrote: »
    Liessssssss!
    My apologies you are right, we started just toward the end of November, I can verify this with lab work, but we certainly did not do any php in October!

Stupid webpage of mine has had 3 completely different iterations already !

Went off on my own tangent the first time and the CSS ended up being about 827 lines long, with no spaces (slight exaggeration! :P). It worked, but...I'm...not...I don't know, it kind of felt like a very rare form of torture to look at the stylesheet. Like I was looking at my child being mutilated. Only it wasn't my child. It was my website. And it wasn't being mutilated, it was my CSS.

Second time it worked, only I wasn't happy and decided it was better just to start again.

Working on it now and...its okay. Everything is in the right place and all, only its about as aesthetically pleasing as Mary Harney's left testicle. Back to working on the banner now though...yay ! Wish me luck !

Stupid webpage of mine has had 3 completely different iterations already !

Went off on my own tangent the first time and the CSS ended up being about 827 lines long, with no spaces (slight exaggeration! :P). It worked, but...I'm...not...I don't know, it kind of felt like a very rare form of torture to look at the stylesheet. Like I was looking at my child being mutilated. Only it wasn't my child. It was my website. And it wasn't being mutilated, it was my CSS.

Second time it worked, only I wasn't happy and decided it was better just to start again.

Working on it now and...its okay. Everything is in the right place and all, only its about as aesthetically pleasing as Mary Harney's left testicle. Back to working on the banner now though...yay ! Wish me luck !

I nearly lost it in the lab,Couldn't get it going right at all,In the end it all clicked and got it all working now :D

What's your banner going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Nonsense, back when I was an undergrad we used to play unreal and quake on the old p3 compaqs we had at the time. I used also play on my laptop and I found a really amusing bug with speedstep and unreal where it would go twice as fast as soon as you plug in the power.
    Hell I remember times we got drunk at the back of the labs while gaming, or when people used to game during scheduled labs, shouting over the demonstrator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Katiecupcakes

hey planin on doin this course next year was just wonderin if it was any good?? can u do it with chinese??is chinese hard??i have never learned it before bt i think it would be intrestin , is chinese like learnin french or is it totally different?? if anyone could reply that would be great!:D:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

hey planin on doin this course next year was just wonderin if it was any good?? can u do it with chinese??is chinese hard??i have never learned it before bt i think it would be intrestin , is chinese like learnin french or is it totally different?? if anyone could reply that would be great!:D:D:)

hey, I'm doing this course and it's really good. don't be fooled into thinking it's easy coza the points, its not. and you should like maths a bit to do it as well.

I'm also doing the chinese elective with it and it's not very easy or anything, but it's not difficult! the teachers are really good. It's just taught very well. The charcters are hard but flashcards really help! :P but yeah, it's a good choice. it's not that different from learning any language except the different tones and sounds and the characters... but if you have a good ear then you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

sick of hearing about counter strike!

pearliefan wrote: »
    hey, I'm doing this course and it's really good. don't be fooled into thinking it's easy coza the points, its not. and you should like maths a bit to do it as well.

I'm also doing the chinese elective with it and it's not very easy or anything, but it's not difficult! the teachers are really good. It's just taught very well. The charcters are hard but flashcards really help! :P but yeah, it's a good choice. it's not that different from learning any language except the different tones and sounds and the characters... but if you have a good ear then you'll be grand.

thanks alot thats really helpful:Du dont have to have higher level maths do you??cos like i like maths but it doesnt like me most of the time!!:p
    if u could reply that would be great thanks:D:)

thanks alot thats really helpful:Du dont have to have higher level maths do you??cos like i like maths but it doesnt like me most of the time!!:p
    if u could reply that would be great thanks:D:)

Hey,

I am doing the course. Same situation as pearlie, doing Chinese and all! We're best of friends ! ;). No, you don't have to have higher level maths (I don't!). It would be a slight help though I would say. Just make sure when you pick your elective don't even think of choosing MA1054 (Calculus). You'd think it would make sense to do it alongside a computer degree, but having asked my mentor and lecturers etc it seems a pretty pointless thing to do...but then again, if you want to, fair dues to you, I suppose!

It's a really good course so far. We have some brilliant lecturers and some great people here, plus we're learning a lot. I'm actually in the lab right now posting this on my break from writing my report ! (It's 4 pages long and I'm not done, and I need to get rid of stuff but...I can't! :(. It's meant to be 3 pages *cry*!) :(.

There are a few downsides to the course though - everyone will think you're a geek (though, personally, I find this to be a good point, it saves time on me showing them my geek!).
    The main downside to the course, I guess, is that it is quite hard, apparently one of the most difficult courses in the college (I'm not far enough into the course to judge yet, but my girlfriend is studying medicine, and thus far I have a LOT more hours than her, and I'm in the library about the same as her, which is a bit mad when you think about it!). Now, I like the challenge, but others might not.

Also, unfortunately since the course is a relatively low 300 points, you will get idiots thinking "Oh, that dude only got 300, he must be stupid!". This is frustrating when you have Jacinta who is doing commerce actually looking down on you (<brag>doubly-so when you actually got the points for medicine but wanted to do Computer Science!</brag>.).

The main issue with the course, for me, is the number of ****wits who seems to get into it. As I said before it is a relatively low number of points, at 300. This means that some idiots who just "threw it down for the laugh" will get in and it can be very annoying in that at the back of some lectures you will get spastics heckling and annoying lecturer's. This can be frustrating, and annoying, and make you want to punch, punch and never stop punching - especially if you're having trouble understanding a concept and you can't hear the lecturer because there's a crowd of people having a full conversationg about how much they drank the night before behind you (don't do this. Very annoying).

All in all though, its a great course - and I am fully sure what I want to do now as well... which is odd since I had Physics down as my #1 up until a week before the closing date, Law down 2 weeks before that, Biochem down before that, accounting before that ....etc !

Well, I'm really enjoying it anyway, and its definitely a course I would recommend to anyone - the facilities are great because of the new building, the lecturer's are fantastic ,and so funny sometimes ! The course is interesting, and useful, the people are mostly hilarious (and mostly very intelligent (scarily so, some of them) too, there is just the odd ****wit, to be fair - and hopefully they will all be gone by 2nd year!).

CK401 is great. I'd recommend it to anyone, keep in mind that you'll never look at a wombat the same way again, though :(. You'll understand when you get here !

Chinese, well, we're only getting into it so I can't comment but...I get the feeling it's going to become very difficult, very fast. It's already pretty hard, but its moving along at a fast pace, so don't expect a cakewalk. The exams in it are quite difficult too. I love the language, and drawing the characters is actually class (I'm terrible at it - not an artistic bone in my body!) but its lots of fun. The lecturer's in that are great too, actually, always happy to help, even when you accidentally tell your teacher you want to drink her milk ! :( *embarrassed face*.

Anyway, back to reporting...hope this helps !

Hey,

I am doing the course. Same situation as pearlie, doing Chinese and all! We're best of friends ! ;). No, you don't have to have higher level maths (I don't!). It would be a slight help though I would say. Just make sure when you pick your elective don't even think of choosing MA1054 (Calculus). You'd think it would make sense to do it alongside a computer degree, but having asked my mentor and lecturers etc it seems a pretty pointless thing to do...but then again, if you want to, fair dues to you, I suppose!

It's a really good course so far. We have some brilliant lecturers and some great people here, plus we're learning a lot. I'm actually in the lab right now posting this on my break from writing my report ! (It's 4 pages long and I'm not done, and I need to get rid of stuff but...I can't! :(. It's meant to be 3 pages *cry*!) :(.

There are a few downsides to the course though - everyone will think you're a geek (though, personally, I find this to be a good point, it saves time on me showing them my geek!).
    The main downside to the course, I guess, is that it is quite hard, apparently one of the most difficult courses in the college (I'm not far enough into the course to judge yet, but my girlfriend is studying medicine, and thus far I have a LOT more hours than her, and I'm in the library about the same as her, which is a bit mad when you think about it!). Now, I like the challenge, but others might not.

Also, unfortunately since the course is a relatively low 300 points, you will get idiots thinking "Oh, that dude only got 300, he must be stupid!". This is frustrating when you have Jacinta who is doing commerce actually looking down on you (<brag>doubly-so when you actually got the points for medicine but wanted to do Computer Science!</brag>.).

The main issue with the course, for me, is the number of ****wits who seems to get into it. As I said before it is a relatively low number of points, at 300. This means that some idiots who just "threw it down for the laugh" will get in and it can be very annoying in that at the back of some lectures you will get spastics heckling and annoying lecturer's. This can be frustrating, and annoying, and make you want to punch, punch and never stop punching - especially if you're having trouble understanding a concept and you can't hear the lecturer because there's a crowd of people having a full conversationg about how much they drank the night before behind you (don't do this. Very annoying).

All in all though, its a great course - and I am fully sure what I want to do now as well... which is odd since I had Physics down as my #1 up until a week before the closing date, Law down 2 weeks before that, Biochem down before that, accounting before that ....etc !

Well, I'm really enjoying it anyway, and its definitely a course I would recommend to anyone - the facilities are great because of the new building, the lecturer's are fantastic ,and so funny sometimes ! The course is interesting, and useful, the people are mostly hilarious (and mostly very intelligent (scarily so, some of them) too, there is just the odd ****wit, to be fair - and hopefully they will all be gone by 2nd year!).

CK401 is great. I'd recommend it to anyone, keep in mind that you'll never look at a wombat the same way again, though :(. You'll understand when you get here !

Chinese, well, we're only getting into it so I can't comment but...I get the feeling it's going to become very difficult, very fast. It's already pretty hard, but its moving along at a fast pace, so don't expect a cakewalk. The exams in it are quite difficult too. I love the language, and drawing the characters is actually class (I'm terrible at it - not an artistic bone in my body!) but its lots of fun. The lecturer's in that are great too, actually, always happy to help, even when you accidentally tell your teacher you want to drink her milk ! :( *embarrassed face*.

Anyway, back to reporting...hope this helps !

I sit at the back and don't have conversations,Some people do,But not all...:pac:

Anyway I second this,The lecturers are nice and helpful,Some more than others!The course isn't easy(and don't go into it thinking it is)I live with an Arts and a BIS student and it's quite depressing to see the numbers of hours the arts students has and the number of lectures the BIS student has missed and they're still on top of work..

So you might find you've got a lot more hours than your friends/room mates but you'll still have free time in the evenings for fun/clubs and socs.

At the end of the four years you have quite a broad degree and can chose what to specialise in or even do a masters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

i got windows 7 there last week, where can i get the lisence key from that free microsoft software thing?

i got windows 7 there last week, where can i get the lisence key from that free microsoft software thing?

http://msdn60.e-academy.com/unic_cork_cs/

Only open to CS students and you only get one license per piece of software

http://msdn60.e-academy.com/unic_cork_cs/

Only open to CS students and you only get one license per piece of software

good thing im in CS then! where do i find the lisences?

my djing career depends on it :p

good thing im in CS then! where do i find the lisences?

my djing career depends on it :p

You gotta log in and select the software. You have to "buy" the software. But when you get to checkout, the price is always €0.00. Thats where you get the serial key

You gotta log in and select the software. You have to "buy" the software. But when you get to checkout, the price is always €0.00. Thats where you get the serial key
    oh thats the job, ur room mate gave me the disk last week! not overly impressed all things taken into account... will still be buying a mac:D

thanks jeebus+ riky91t
    im really intrested in doing some course in ucc with computers cant deside on weather to cs or bis!So im tryin to get as much info as possible:Di was wonderin is ther many girls doin computer science course cos i dont want to be the only girl ther!:) and i have a far idea of software and computer programmes bt do u learn everything from scratch? Do u learn how to make video games?and stuff like that?
    ur info will be very helpfull :D

thanks jeebus+ riky91t
    im really intrested in doing some course in ucc with computers cant deside on weather to cs or bis!So im tryin to get as much info as possible:Di was wonderin is ther many girls doin computer science course cos i dont want to be the only girl ther!:) and i have a far idea of software and computer programmes bt do u learn everything from scratch? Do u learn how to make video games?and stuff like that?

Hey there,

There's about a 9:1 ratio of boys to girls, in a class of 116. So get used to guys !

You learn everything from scratch, sometimes painfully from scratch. I suppose you could go on and make video games, yeah. You'd probably be better off doing the video-game making course in UL for that though (it is in the title, like!). :)

Hey there,

There's about a 9:1 ratio of boys to girls, in a class of 116. So get used to guys !

You learn everything from scratch, sometimes painfully from scratch. I suppose you could go on and make video games, yeah. You'd probably be better off doing the video-game making course in UL for that though (it is in the title, like!). :)

ok will do :Dthanks a mill :)do u mind me askin bt wat do u hope to do when ur finished??:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

thanks jeebus+ riky91t

In 3rd year - the multimedia module includes an assignment on creating a video game using XNA.

Not many girls but seems to be increasing? Only 3 girls in 1st year 2007/2008.

• Advertisement

thanks jeebus+ riky91t

Hello Katie,

I am currently in second year. Last year we were the first first year's (2008/2009) to take the new course. Included is CS1108: Computing: Profession and Society. The lecturer ( so very sound and a pleasure to have) said that these days most businesses and employers come looking for CS graduates rather than BIS, as they prefer the problem solving skills of CS graduates! At least that is what he said hehe.

There are about 56 of us in this second year, of which I count 4 girls!

Hope that helps!

Advertisement