Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CK401 Computer Science

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Project this week...yay ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

if u could that wud be great! i might even go to lectures next week!

Are you in group A or B?

This is being done for group A and just the CS modules cause I'm doing Italian and haven't got the timetable yet. :pac:

Monday: 9-10 CS1109 WGB 107 ,12-1 CS1101 WGB G01, 2-3 CS1105 WGB G01 ,3-5 CS Induction Lab WGB G21 *

Tuesday: 10-11 CS induction lab WGB G21/G26, 2-3 CS1109 WGB G01

Wednesday: 9-10 CS1106 WGB G03, 1-2 CS1101 WGB 107, 3-4 CS1105 WGB G01

Thursday: 2-4 CS1107 WGB G01,4-5 CS INDUCTION LAB WGB G01

Friday 11-12 CS1109 WGB G01,12-1 CS1106 WGB G01

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

derek is teaching 2nd years now too? wtf? so unfair :(

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Are you in group A or B?

This is being done for group A and just the CS modules cause I'm doing Italian and haven't got the timetable yet. :pac:

Monday: 9-10 CS1109 WGB 107 ,12-1 CS1101 WGB G01, 2-3 CS1105 WGB G01 ,3-5 CS Induction Lab WGB G21 *

Tuesday: 10-11 CS induction lab WGB G21/G26, 2-3 CS1109 WGB G01

Wednesday: 9-10 CS1106 WGB G03, 1-2 CS1101 WGB 107, 3-4 CS1105 WGB G01

Thursday: 2-4 CS1107 WGB G01,4-5 CS INDUCTION LAB WGB G01

Friday 11-12 CS1109 WGB G01,12-1 CS1106 WGB G01

Hope that helps :)

i have no idea what group im in, i wont be doing the induction labs tho im a repeat student

Can someone tell me if they're having issues getting onto the http://www.cs.ucc.ie site?

I'm trying to check my site and it's just giving me errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the whole comp sci network is down. there was a major power failure in the WG building late friday night and the power won't be restored till tomorrow morning. Services will take a while to come up, assuming there's no damage.

I'll be really cranky in the morning, so I'll be best avoided tomorrow :)

deRanged wrote: »
    the whole comp sci network is down. there was a major power failure in the WG building late friday night and the power won't be restored till tomorrow morning. Services will take a while to come up, assuming there's no damage.

I'll be really cranky in the morning, so I'll be best avoided tomorrow :)

Ah right,Cheers for that..

I'll just avoid people which don't to happy,I'll be in there at 9 too :pac:

I'll just avoid people which don't to happy,I'll be in there at 9 too :pac:

you won't see me, I'll be in the server room shouting at servers.
    the helpdesk guys will be in their part of the server room, but they're more mature than I am, so less shouting&swearing in there.

you won't see me, I'll be in the server room shouting at servers.
    the helpdesk guys will be in their part of the server room, but they're more mature than I am, so less shouting&swearing in there.

I dunno what your position is in the IT dept of the Western Gate building,But any idea you know why the internet times out?And quite a bit too?

I dunno what your position is in the IT dept of the Western Gate building,But any idea you know why the internet times out?And quite a bit too?

I'm in a research group, so I don't actually use the same vlan you guys are in. There really shouldn't be any timing out - what's happening exactly?
    Is it when you're surfing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I'm in a research group, so I don't actually use the same vlan you guys are in. There really shouldn't be any timing out - what's happening exactly?
    Is it when you're surfing?

Every so often the internet just gets dropped for ~4/5mins and nothing loads (maybe one or two packets). Can happen whenever, but it affects everyone, as far as I can tell.

Jeebus wrote: »
    Every so often the internet just gets dropped for ~4/5mins and nothing loads (maybe one or two packets). Can happen whenever, but it affects everyone, as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't say every 4-5 mins,Mine seemed to be about 10 or 15 mins,The pages would just take ages to load and eventually time out,Normally after refreshing once or twice and waiting for it to time out again it'll then just kick in again and be OK.

hmm. the core network is fine, so there's no reason for that to happen.
    have ye reported it to the helpdesk?

hmm. the core network is fine, so there's no reason for that to happen.
    have ye reported it to the helpdesk?

Nope not yet,I was planning to do it later on today as I've got a free hour..

Also anyway know how to FTP to the UCC server?While on the UCC wireless?I want to edit a page but I'm in the library,Derek said it would be possible but wasn't to sure how..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Bit OT, but does anyone know what the story is with Phone reception in WGB?
    Is there jammers installed or some kind of lining in the walls blocking it or something? Or is it just a side effect of the building materials?? Cause reception SUCKS in there..

Redisle wrote: »
    Bit OT, but does anyone know what the story is with Phone reception in WGB?
    Is there jammers installed or some kind of lining in the walls blocking it or something? Or is it just a side effect of the building materials?? Cause reception SUCKS in there..

I can make and receive calls in the building but as you said the signal is crap,I doubt they've blocked them as I've seen people(even Lecturers [Derek]) using 3G broadband in there,Due to lack of wi-fi ...

This it's just down to materials used in the building.

it;s illegal to block phone signals, and I don't think they'd do it anyway.

it's just a strongly built building, all poured concrete, blocks the signal.
    there are rooms with literally no signal at all, it's quite a pain.

It's a pain indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sepulchrave

Nope not yet,I was planning to do it later on today as I've got a free hour..

Also anyway know how to FTP to the UCC server?While on the UCC wireless?I want to edit a page but I'm in the library,Derek said it would be possible but wasn't to sure how..

Hehe, Derek also told us last year it was possible but never told us how.

Anyway here is what to do.

You need an SSH, or SFTP client which means Secure FTP. Standard FTP is blocked on the cosmos server.

Most of my friends use SSH Secure Shell Client. It's free, they have it on the lab pc's as well. You can download it from any one of the links on this page: http://www.filewatcher.com/m/SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe.5517312.0.0.html All of the files are the same.

Install it, open the File Transfer program, and connect to student.cs.ucc.ie which is cosmos. Use your CS username and password to gain access. It should take you straight into your Z drive.

The client also comes with a Tectia client, which is like a terminal/command prompt window. You can use it to login to cosmos for things like using MySQl databases for CS1106. It is very similar to the Putty client Derek probably showed you for changing your CS password. However for accessing the files on your Z drive (eg public_html and Induction if your still using it, and any other files you create, Derek probbaly had you create a CS1109 folder for lab work), use the File Transfer client.

Hope that helps.

Hehe, Derek also told us last year it was possible but never told us how.

Anyway here is what to do.

You need an SSH, or SFTP client which means Secure FTP. Standard FTP is blocked on the cosmos server.

Most of my friends use SSH Secure Shell Client. It's free, they have it on the lab pc's as well. You can download it from any one of the links on this page: http://www.filewatcher.com/m/SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe.5517312.0.0.html All of the files are the same.

Install it, open the File Transfer program, and connect to student.cs.ucc.ie which is cosmos. Use your CS username and password to gain access. It should take you straight into your Z drive.

The client also comes with a Tectia client, which is like a terminal/command prompt window. You can use it to login to cosmos for things like using MySQl databases for CS1106. It is very similar to the Putty client Derek probably showed you for changing your CS password. However for accessing the files on your Z drive (eg public_html and Induction if your still using it, and any other files you create, Derek probbaly had you create a CS1109 folder for lab work), use the File Transfer client.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

I actually got an email off a friend yesterday telling me what to do,It was winSCP works great :)

I might try the client you recommended

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me whens our first CS**** Module today??

I have CS1109 down for 2pm but there must be something before?

I see quake works just fine in the labs :)

just fyi quake players in the ground floor lab. using the back row with the wall behind ye to shield what ye're doing only works if there's no door in that wall :)

Wooo free software :pac:

nomnom win7

megcork wrote: »
    nomnom win7

Yet to install it,As my laptop has broke but I've downloaded it :D

Just got an email about the class party,Check the emails that you wrote down today on the sheet of paper :)

the wireless is now active in the WGB. I don't actually have a device registered to check it myself, but the email went around that it's available.

the wireless is now active in the WGB. I don't actually have a device registered to check it myself, but the email went around that it's available.

Checked it,Working :pac:

If you're registered on campus you'll connect straight away for anyone who has a laptop etc.

ugh, labs starting. makes mondays really long now: 10-5 with only an hour break.

• Advertisement

and ye'll have no demonstrators, bar the occasional volunteer.

Advertisement