Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CK401 Computer Science

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

dAvE_hR wrote: »
    When do classes start? I'm repeating and i havn't a clue.
    monday morning at 9! have u registered?? pm me if u were in 1st year last year! (im guessing you were in which case i was in your class)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LEmmerdeur

There's an induction week next week so there's no normal lectures so people repeating presumably don't have to go...

LEmmerdeur wrote: »
    There's an induction week next week so there's no normal lectures so people repeating presumably don't have to go...
    ya i was wondering was it gonna be this week.... i might stroll along any way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

There was only 60 or so at the Orientation yesterday out of around the 100 someone mentioned on here...I assume if they don't turn up for orientation and registration they're removed from the course?

official word from the department is 115 people regiested... nah orientation aint that important, the first week is fairly important tho! advice to any one starting, GO TO CLASS PARTIES! you will end up spending alot of time with these people over the next 4 years so you should get to know them!

oh ya and pass the exams... no one told me do that last year hence back to first year for me.... :P

was there any girls at the orientation? i heard rumour of 110 guys and 5 girls...

• Advertisement

official word from the department is 115 people regiested... nah orientation aint that important, the first week is fairly important tho! advice to any one starting, GO TO CLASS PARTIES! you will end up spending alot of time with these people over the next 4 years so you should get to know them!

oh ya and pass the exams... no one told me do that last year hence back to first year for me.... :P

was there any girls at the orientation? i heard rumour of 110 guys and 5 girls...

Girls yes,There was,Not 100% sure how many cause there was one or two in with our group even though they were doing arts :confused:

I can say I definitely saw three,Your rumour could be right..

Class parties?When? :D

And thanks for the exam advice :pac: Wouldn't of known what to do otherwise!

Sorry to here you failed,Do you know what it was on?Something tough?

jawb.... load o tallent so:rolleyes:

ya i failed 5 in the summer then 2 in repeats - epic phail

i failed cs1105 and cs1109 (in my mind the hardest obviously!)

class parties is upto the class rep, i was one of the class reps but wont be taking that responsability again this year.. too much else on my plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dAvE_hR

ah BigDaddyCan, that time you arranged the class party and the place was closed was hilarious. i'll pm you my number there and give me a text when we head back for classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jonesy3131

If anyone gets a chance could they tell me what room were meant to be going to tomoro morning at 10? I had it written but lost it! I'd imagine I'll be able to find but it would just make things easier.

Cheers!

has any one got a copy of the orientation timetable???

if so bang it up? im considering going to lectures for orientation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 dAvE_hR

Yea if someone could that would be great.

where are we at 10 in the morning?

jonesy3131 wrote: »
    If anyone gets a chance could they tell me what room were meant to be going to tomoro morning at 10? I had it written but lost it! I'd imagine I'll be able to find but it would just make things easier.

Cheers!
    where are we at 10 in the morning?

Did you find it?
    We were switched from one room to another..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

how're ye finding things so far?
    actually, can ye find anything? there's lots of very confused people wandering around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sepulchrave

The building is fantastic! I saw the first year labs, pity there are no windows in it.

The second year lab is great, windows! However some people are sharing pc's because there are not enough :S Some people are having problems logging onto Kubuntu, and there is no flash player installed on the Kubuntu OS :(

Where is the wireless network? Our netbooks can't find any :(

Apart from that loving the place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The wireless should be set up soon, there are wireless ap's around but obviously not turned on. I think they are waiting for the students to settle in before activating it so they can iron out any kinks that arise.

However some people are sharing pc's because there are not enough :S
    seriously? I would have thought that with 19 labs ye'd be grand. I suspect there's still a few labs to be finished off and opened yet.
    Some people are having problems logging onto Kubuntu, and there is no flash player installed on the Kubuntu OS :(
    unles you need flash to work you may be out of luck.

another while yet I'd say (guessing). last time I heard a date it was October, or "when everything else is done". the wireless is a complementary service.

deRanged wrote: »
    how're ye finding things so far?
    actually, can ye find anything? there's lots of very confused people wandering around :)

It's going well so far the new building is pretty cool,And although very confusing at frist i've got used to the place now..
    The building is fantastic! I saw the first year labs, pity there are no windows in it.

The second year lab is great, windows! However some people are sharing pc's because there are not enough :S Some people are having problems logging onto Kubuntu, and there is no flash player installed on the Kubuntu OS :(

Apart from that loving the place :)

Yeah the sharing is fairly annoying alright,I had to do for the first time in there and then had to spend part of lunch in G21(i think) catching up and sorting the stuff out.
    Knasher wrote: »
    The wireless should be set up soon, there are wireless ap's around but obviously not turned on. I think they are waiting for the students to settle in before activating it so they can iron out any kinks that arise.

That'll just be the same as the on campus wireless?Like we won't have to register machines again?
    seriously? I would have thought that with 19 labs ye'd be grand. I suspect there's still a few labs to be finished off and opened yet.

unles you need flash to work you may be out of luck.

another while yet I'd say (guessing). last time I heard a date it was October, or "when everything else is done". the wireless is a complementary service.

On the lab i was in only internet explorer had flash and the rest of the browsers had nothing installed,Didn't even try to use linux or whatever it is yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Not enough hours. I feel like such a waster!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Fantastic Building! Currently sharing a lab with 4th years though, not sure for how long? Our actual lab is meant to be on the first floor but they have us down in G24. Odd.

Restaurant is great, but a little small - anyone else think that?

New computers are a lot better too.

Love the place :pac:

• Advertisement

Jeebus wrote: »
    Not enough hours. I feel like such a waster!

I gotta agree with that,I've just been at a friends house since 10 cause I've got to be at the WGB for 1pm,This week is very quick tbh

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I gotta agree with that,I've just been at a friends house since 10 cause I've got to be at the WGB for 1pm,This week is very quick tbh

Yeah same. There's **** all to do. Never thought I'd say it but...moar lectures/labs please !

Derek is hilarious though. I love him.

I want to have Derek again :(

That Aidan guy seems pretty cool too. And he's specializing in writing software to help train medics and doctors ? I would love that so much ! So so much !

Yeah same. There's **** all to do. Never thought I'd say it but...moar lectures/labs please !

I know,I'm not in till 2pm tomorrow :eek: and then i'm only in for 2 hours,Although I have to add 4 hours of Italian to my timetable.

Derek is brilliant,Really helpful and very funny!:D
    That Aidan guy seems pretty cool too. And he's specializing in writing software to help train medics and doctors ? I would love that so much ! So so much !

Yeah again he's helpful too,Sounds like he's doing a cool masters..

Why is he always in with us though?

I'd say it but...moar lectures/labs please !

don't worry, you'll have plenty to do soon enough. once the assignments start they'll fill some of the hours.

one of the best skills you'll learn in college is how to fill empty hours between lectures.

Not in until 2-3 today, got to love cancelled lectures!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sepulchrave

megcork wrote: »
    Restaurant is great, but a little small - anyone else think that?

New computers are a lot better too.

Yeah it is very small for the size of the building, and when the other floors open up it will be even worse to get a table, although it wasnt too bad this week. I have a feeling it's mostly being filled up with students from BFHS, I don't think there is anywhere to eat in there, so all they need to do is walk across the bridge and invade our building.

That's just the induction program, you should get to meet Dr. Brown for CS1105 and Prof. Morrison for CS1101 next week. You will have plenty more to do hehe.

Derek rocks and I miss having him for programming, we have Dr. van Dongen now in 2nd year for software development. The great news is, I get to have Derek again come Period 2 in January for the Web Servers module :D I'd love to give some choice Derek quotes but I had better not :P

Well the week went well enough, a mature student friend installed flash using the terminal on the Kubuntu OS for myself and my friends, it's great not to be browsing the web and see "Install missing plugins..." showing up all over the place in Firefox. However I get the feeling the pc's were not set up fully, java was not installed in Firefox on Kubuntu either andwe had to use Appletviewer to run our java applets. However, thanks to the same mature student friend, he installed it for me.

Of course on Thursday our afternoon induction labs got cancelled because there was some network failure, and all our pc's would not longer work, could not access the home directories, and Kubuntu gave the unable to moun on / error when we tried to login. Today we have a day off! Looking forward to normal lectures/labs on Monday!
    On the lab i was in only internet explorer had flash and the rest of the browsers had nothing installed,Didn't even try to use linux or whatever it is yet..

You opened IE?! Derek would be ashamed! :P

Well I have no idea. it turns out G20 is our official (and only I believe) second year lab. If you look at the floor plan it says 46 person lab. However, there are between 50 and 60 of us so how could there be enough pc's?! However, various days this week various people never turned up so nobody had to share.

People anyone in 1st year CS who wasn't at the 12pm lecture today,We have a new timetable(yes another one!!) for week 2,If anyonee needs it I could post it up here.

• Advertisement

People anyone in 1st year CS who wasn't at the 12pm lecture today,We have a new timetable(yes another one!!) for week 2,If anyonee needs it I could post it up here.
    if u could that wud be great! i might even go to lectures next week!

Advertisement