Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CK401 Computer Science

Options
  • 17-08-2009 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Who here is going into this? :)

Also to the people in it what's it like?What do you actually cover in the computer bit?The prospectus is abit vague,Anything in particular that's very tough and a definite to keep on top of?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sepulchrave

I assume you are going in to first year?

You will be learning how to design web pages with (x)html, and css.
    You will then use that when learning to program in php. Thats all CS1109.

You will learn basics of logic circuits (logic gates), bit of basic pc hardware, and some machine assembly language in CS1101.

You will learn about sets, functions (same as lc maths just more), relations, algorithms, propositional logic, predicate logic, graphs, trees in CS1105. EDIT: I forgot to include counting and combinations, paths, proofs, and big O notation.

You will learn about database management systems in CS1106, using SQL databases and the MySQL data manipulation and creation language, along with some relation algebra.

You will learn how to manipulate images, audio and a bit of video in CS1107.

You will learn about computer science in industry and what you can do with the degree in CS1108. There will be guest speakers and 5 site visits if it is the same this year as last year, we went to IBM, EMC, and Apple.

Any other questions just ask. I'm about to go into second year so I cant tell you anything about anything else except they have changed second year this year from last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

MJJOS wrote: »
    I assume you are going in to first year?

You will be learning how to design web pages with (x)html, and css.
    You will then use that when learning to program in php. Thats all CS1109.

You will learn basics of logic circuits (logic gates), bit of basic pc hardware, and some machine assembly language in CS1101.

You will learn about sets, functions (same as lc maths just more), relations, algorithms, propositional logic, predicate logic, graphs, trees in CS1105.

You will learn about database management systems in CS1106, using SQL databases and the MySQL data manipulation and creation language, along with some relation algebra.

You will learn how to manipulate images, audio and a bit of video in CS1107.

You will learn about computer science in industry and what you can do with the degree in CS1108. There will be guest speakers and 5 site visits if it is the same this year as last year, we went to IBM, EMC, and Apple.

Any other questions just ask. I'm about to go into second year so I cant tell you anything about anything else except they have changed second year this year from last year!

Thanks for that great help!I'm panicking abit about some of this stuff(already!! :P ) I only have a very basic knowledge in PHP and html will all these be done from scratch?

Do not panic! All is thought from scratch! From <?php echo "<p>Hello World!</p>"; ?> to the more complicated things like retrieving content from SQL databases to be displayed on your web pages using php while loops, result sets and MySQL in php, is all covered from scratch. No prior knowledge is assumed :)

My advice would be stay up to date with all labs, go to all lectures. You will make the end of year exams way easier. This is especially important in CS1101! No matter what you do, always go to CS1101!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Hi,
    Can anyone give me any information on computer science and economics. Whats involved, etc.

Are there compulsory module choices for both?

How difficult is it - would a C1 in pass maths be a good enough standard to get through the course.

Is computer science single honours an easier option?

Any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Going into 3rd year, have fun newbs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Any one at all got any info on the Economics part of this course

I suggest you look here and read it carefully:

http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/science/sci006.html

It will give you all the information you need as regards to what doing the joint economics degree means.

You can also find out about all the modules it mentions here:

http://www.ucc.ie/modules/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

There will be guest speakers and 5 site visits if it is the same this year as last year, we went to IBM, EMC, and Apple.

God, when I did that degree, the only site visit we had was down to the western star :D:D

omahaid wrote: »
    God, when I did that degree, the only site visit we had was down to the western star :D:D

Haha! The Western Star is gone now!

• Advertisement

Haha! The Western Star is gone now!

Starting to show my age now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

What should I pick as my optional subject ? I have Spanish chosen atm since I speak it quite well and it will be handy enough for me. Would I be better of choosing Calculus or Maths/Applied maths further on in the degree ? I would struggle with Calculus I'd say, given my pass maths !

Jeebus wrote: »
    What should I pick as my optional subject ? I have Spanish chosen atm since I speak it quite well and it will be handy enough for me. Would I be better of choosing Calculus or Maths/Applied maths further on in the degree ? I would struggle with Calculus I'd say, given my pass maths !

In the same position myself,Don't wanna chance the maths cause I only did pass,Any one have any opinions on the other modules?

Ricky91t wrote: »
    In the same position myself,Don't wanna chance the maths cause I only did pass,Any one have any opinions on the other modules?

Beginners Spanish...one step closer to my 1:1, so thats me decided !

I did MA1003 Introduction to Mathematics and Applied Mathematics. Due to personal health reasons I went to less than 10 lectures in the year, went to not one tutorial, missed one in class test out of 2, and came out with 84% in the module in the summer exams (marks derived from 2 in-class tests, and the summer exam), which was actually my highest mark on the summer exams. I however did higher level maths and higher level applied maths for my leaving cert so I have expierience hehe. The module in my opinion was easy, all the tests were very repetitive in terms of the questions, it was like in the same questions in every years exams with just different numbers. Yet I know many people had great difficulty with it, and many failed the summer test and had to repeat. Only myself and about 10 others tops from CS1 actually did it. So don't take my word for it. I was surprised people found it very hard. So I suppose if you had trouble with pass leaving cert maths maybe it's not for you. On the first day the lecturer "Bob" as we called him, said that the maths was not hard, and if you were looking for a challenge sadly you would not find it in this module. That's a direct quote. Still I stand by what I said before, if your maths is not strong, don't bother.

Information on MA1003:
    http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/MA.html#MA1003

Information on MA1054 Calculus and Analysis:
    http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/MA.html#MA1054

Information on HS0028 Spanish Language (Beginner [00] Level:
    http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/HS.html#HS0028

You can also do: EC1401 (Foundations and Principles in Economics), MG1004 (Introduction to Management and Organisation), MG1903 (Introduction to Marketing), GE0001 (German Language Beginner [00] Level), GE0006 (German language (Intermediate [05] Level), FR1105 (Threshold French), FR1107 (Threshold French for Reading Purposes I), and IT1109 (Introduction to Written and Spoken Italian). You can look up all of these as well in the UCC Book of Modules available at http://www.ucc.ie/modules/

Hope that helps.

I did MA1003 with only an average pass in my LC Maths. It's definitely doable as the previous exam papers for both summer and CA exams are up on blackboard (some posted with answers), just practise these and you'll be fine.

Yep Meg has the right line of thinking here, I agree. All those papers on blackboard have sample answers. Well most of them. You could just practise practise practise and you would probably be fine. I'm just saying I know a lot of people who struggled this year. Of course that could be completely their own fault for not working!

If you have the determination for it there should be no problem :)

Besides, for the first 2 weeks they let you go to different lectures of the different optional modules. So you can mix a bit and see what you like and don't like, after 2 weeks then you need to make a permanent decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

I'm going into this this year! I'm thinking of doing italian as my elective... has anyone done italian? good idea or not? i'm maybe thinking economics otherwise. but I like languages... and would it be better to do maths or something?

pearliefan wrote: »
    I'm going into this this year! I'm thinking of doing italian as my elective... has anyone done italian? good idea or not? i'm maybe thinking economics otherwise. but I like languages... and would it be better to do maths or something?

Same boat as you man ! Italian does sound like fun though. If nothing else, you'll be able to chat up the Italians that come over for Summer courses....;).

Jeebus wrote: »
    Same boat as you man ! Italian does sound like fun though. If nothing else, you'll be able to chat up the Italians that come over for Summer courses....;).

Just to point out, I am girl! :pac: hopefully not the only one in the course but we'll see!
    I'll still be able to chat the hot Italians though and wow everyone else with my Italian! albeit beginners Italian...:pac:
    you're going in this year yeah?

• Advertisement

Was also considering Italian,Meant to be an easy enough language from what i've heard :pac:

I'm still deciding though!

oh and does anyone know if the Italian teacher is any good?
    What do you do in it like?
    Is it all writing and crap or do you actually talk Italian?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

For those of you entering 1st Computer Science i'll see you on orientation day. I'm Damien and I am entering final year computer science. Please bombard me with questions on they day so i'll have something to do :D

I'm assuming a laptop would be recommended for this as we wouldn't have full time access to the labs,Has anyone who's already done the course or started it recommend one?

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'm assuming a laptop would be recommended for this as we wouldn't have full time access to the labs,Has anyone who's already done the course or started it recommend one?
    You do have access to the labs nearly all the time :S Unless I've misread somewhere. They're opened until about 10.30pm

Ya, CS students have to have constant access to computers, and the labs are open 7 days a week IIRC until late. No need for laptop (although of course it helps :D)

omahaid wrote: »
    Ya, CS students have to have constant access to computers, and the labs are open 7 days a week IIRC until late. No need for laptop (although of course it helps :D)

I'll be living in Digs and most of the time only in cork for the week!I'd also like to be able to work from the digs as the winter probably isn't going to be the best walking/cycling weather :pac:

Anyway I went ahead and ordered one from dell :)(thanks to a loan off my mum as the offer was finishing this wensday!!) so if anyone is looking for a new pc keep an eye on adverts,Netbook is already sold :pac:

x43r0 wrote: »
    For those of you entering 1st Computer Science i'll see you on orientation day. I'm Damien and I am entering final year computer science. Please bombard me with questions on they day so i'll have something to do :D

Think i saw you today,Were you one of the people in read t-shirts which the CS group for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

Hi,
    Can anyone give me any information on computer science and economics. Whats involved, etc.

Are there compulsory module choices for both?

How difficult is it - would a C1 in pass maths be a good enough standard to get through the course.

Is computer science single honours an easier option?

Any help appreciated.

the joint honors is very easy in first year (economics wise)

i did it last year but am now repeating first year as i failed 2 cs modules so ya il be in with all the nubes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 dAvE_hR

When do classes start? I'm repeating and i havn't a clue.

Advertisement