Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I did the foundation physics with no previous physics and I thought it was pretty tough. I think it was more the way it was taught rather than the subject matter, and everyone I spoke to who hadn't done it before had a similar opinion. If you're interested in physics I'd say do all or nothing, but don't bother with the foundation physics.
    Yeah the way its taught is unfortunately a complete mess, but I'd almost recommend it, you do pick up a bit of physics and if nothing else it's an easy pass if you put in any kind of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Iceuil

Thanks guys, but i meant the full physics course. Im thinking about the modules now and I cant decide. I will definitely do chemistry and maths and I am torn between biology and physics. Biology is a prerequisite for genetics, which I am interested in doing. But tbh, im more interested in chemistry, all the atomic stuff and nanoscience. I never considered it before, genetics and chemistry were the only options for me, but now Im starting to think about doing physics.

So is it possible to pick up physics or should I stick with biology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Iceuil wrote: »
    Thanks guys, but i meant the full physics course. Im thinking about the modules now and I cant decide. I will definitely do chemistry and maths and I am torn between biology and physics. Biology is a prerequisite for genetics, which I am interested in doing. But tbh, im more interested in chemistry, all the atomic stuff and nanoscience. I never considered it before, genetics and chemistry were the only options for me, but now Im starting to think about doing physics.

As long as you make sure to go through your lectures from the very beginning, you'll be able for it. If you don't like it, you could always change a few weeks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Well prerequisites aren't suggestions, so if you want the possibility of doing genetics, do Biology. Otherwise you won't be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

First years should also probably note that science at third level is a whole new ball game in terms of approach.

Biology is more like LC Chemistry, Chemistry is closer to LC Physics, Physics closer to LC Maths while Maths itself becomes more about logic (least from first year anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭OrlaB12693

Craguls wrote: »
    First years should also probably note that science at third level is a whole new ball game in terms of approach.

Biology is more like LC Chemistry, Chemistry is closer to LC Physics, Physics closer to LC Maths while Maths itself becomes more about logic (least from first year anyway)

Thanks for ruining my life!! D: oh my god... that is literally like the worst news ever!! :( :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 zoolander006

hey, i was just wondering if anyone knew the new entry pionts to do science, people said that it had change so i was wondering if anyone knew what it was, on the website sais its 440 since 2009, but people said it was higher now was wondering if anyone knew what it was now?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭OrlaB12693

was 460 last year and went up to 475 this year i believe.... its been going up pretty steadily for the last few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Does anyone here know is it exam scores over 50% or 40% that you can compensate with?

dog_pig wrote: »
    Does anyone here know is it exam scores over 50% or 40% that you can compensate with?
    From the JF Exam regulations pdf on the Science Course website.
    2.3 To compensate at the Annual examinations, students must
    (i) obtain an overall mark of 40% or higher AND
    (ii) obtain individual marks of 40% or higher in modules to the value of 40
    credits AND
    (iii) obtain marks of 35% or higher in each of the remaining modules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Geography/Geology :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

One quick question. How difficult is it to do physics without doing it for Leaving cert?

I did it with an A1 in HL Physics and struggled when it came 'round to exams. Having done physics for leaving cert. matters f*ck all, but if you've done applied maths you'll be sound is what I felt for the majority of the year. Could also partially be that I did OL Maths, though I don't think that's a massive factor, managed to get near (****ing 2% off, rage) a first in the exams so...

Mind, I hated, hated[/I] half the course. (And I did science to do Physics....sigh) Mechanics (needed applied maths imo), Mauro's, although I love him (that accent, *swoon*), notes are utter sh1te. Ray's course on astrophysics is interesting, but his notes again are rubbish. Literally just pictures. And the book he suggests reading isn't fabulous either. Mind, having done LC Physics, Bradley, Cross (The start of it, the second half is like, whut?!) and Blau's courses are a doddle.

Foundation Physics is supposed to be just like LC Physics...had a few friends who were bored stiff in those lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Iceuil

Thanks guys, helped me a lot. Ill stick with biology :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MrSnrub

I'm taking Human Genetics, but I'll be doing the Biology, Chemistry and Maths modules from Science. What should I expect?

MrSnrub wrote: »
    I'm taking Human Genetics, but I'll be doing the Biology, Chemistry and Maths modules from Science. What should I expect?
    Well what would you like to know?

Well, I just really want to know which will have the biggest workload.

MrSnrub wrote: »
    Well, I just really want to know which will have the biggest workload.
    The workload is what you want it to be really, the only work that's going to be checked week to week -in biology and chemistry anyway- are the lab manuals, and the write ups in the second semester.
    Lecture wise in biology I felt like there was a lot of information but most of it is pretty straightforward. In chemistry there's some difficult topics but much less learning off; so long as you grasp and understand the core concepts most of the course falls into place nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Those of you who took BY2207 Behaviour, what did you think of the subject?

It's a toss-up between taking MA22S1 (Multivariable Calculus) with BY2207 or taking CH2202.

I do love maths and dislike chemistry but would love to hear some opinions on that Behaviour module.

Lawliet wrote: »
    The workload is what you want it to be really, the only work that's going to be checked week to week -in biology and chemistry anyway- are the lab manuals, and the write ups in the second semester.
    Lecture wise in biology I felt like there was a lot of information but most of it is pretty straightforward. In chemistry there's some difficult topics but much less learning off; so long as you grasp and understand the core concepts most of the course falls into place nicely.

Thanks :P I hate writing up lab books :( It's going to be really hard for me to do 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Morgase wrote: »
    Those of you who took BY2207 Behaviour, what did you think of the subject?

It's a toss-up between taking MA22S1 (Multivariable Calculus) with BY2207 or taking CH2202.

I do love maths and dislike chemistry but would love to hear some opinions on that Behaviour module.

CH2202 is very difficult in that unlike first year where there was a split between physical and organic/inorganic there is no distinct split and you effectively cover the harder more abstract stuff in semester two. It was also the first exam I've seen large amounts of people being unable to answer a whole section and basing their study around that.

MA22S1 is iffy. I haven't done myself but I've heard the lecturer is difficult to understand from friends of mine. This is supposedly changing for your year though.

BY2207 is a great module in that it's interesting as it's somewhat more psychological that you'd might expect and covers interesting things memory and learning from childhood to adulthood to how birds navigate their flights for winter. I can't fault the lecturers either, all of them were great. Probably one of the best modules I did last year.

• Advertisement

CH2202 is very difficult in that unlike first year where there was a split between physical and organic/inorganic there is no distinct split and you effectively cover the harder more abstract stuff in semester two. It was also the first exam I've seen large amounts of people being unable to answer a whole section and basing their study around that.

MA22S1 is iffy. I haven't done myself but I've heard the lecturer is difficult to understand from friends of mine. This is supposedly changing for your year though.

BY2207 is a great module in that it's interesting as it's somewhat more psychological that you'd might expect and covers interesting things memory and learning from childhood to adulthood to how birds navigate their flights for winter. I can't fault the lecturers either, all of them were great. Probably one of the best modules I did last year.

Thanks so much, that's extremely useful for me. :)

I've read somewhere that the closing date for BC applications is this Friday, 9th September. Thing is, I can't remember where I've read that. Anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Heading into SF Science and just looking for some help with module choices, basically it comes down to a choice of 2 from BY2206 (Ecosystem Bio), BY2207 (Behaviour), BY2209 (Infection) and BY2210 (Plant & Animal Bioresources). Any feedback and any of these modules would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

BY2207 (Behaviour): In my opinion one of the most interesting and well taught modules. Can't fault any of the lecturers. The material we studied was delivered in a very entertaining way and gave a very basic understanding of zoology/psychology.

BY2209 (Immunology): Not my favourite module by a long shot. I didn't enjoy it very much but I do know people who found it very interesting. The books recommended for this module aren't much cop apart from one. I think it was a big yellow one lol.

I didn't take either of the other two modules. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, it's been a good few months!

Heading into SF Science and just looking for some help with module choices, basically it comes down to a choice of 2 from BY2206 (Ecosystem Bio), BY2207 (Behaviour), BY2209 (Infection) and BY2210 (Plant & Animal Bioresources). Any feedback and any of these modules would be great.

I did BY2207 and BY2206:

NeuroCat is totally right about behaviour (BY2207), it's a brilliant module and it's not hard, just really interesting and fun. Show up for all the lectures and you'll find it a doddle.

As for BY2206, I really enjoyed it. It was a smallish class which was nice, and we got to do a field trip to Bull Island where I got to wear my wellies (I love my wellies). The course content was good, not too difficult, and when it got round to exam time and most of my friends had picked Immunology instead, I was more than glad to have an anxiety-free module in terms of exam. There's two sections to it, a terrestrial/climate one, sort of like Junior Cert Geography, which is interesting and easy, and a water one, which is far less interesting (in my opinion) and not so easy.

So overall I'm really glad I did both modules and I'd recommend both/either.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

whats the story with people who transfer late into JF science when it comes to picking modules?
    (aside from being 2-3 weeks behind...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I'm taking Physics (not doing Biology or Chemistry) so do I need a lab coat?

bscm wrote: »
    I'm taking Physics (not doing Biology or Chemistry) so do I need a lab coat?
    You shouldn't need one, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Dingle Ranger

For Sale
    JF + SF Science Books + Lecture Notes

Microbiology - Prescott, Harley and Klein (€25)
    Calculus(Maths Methods) - Bittenger, Brand and Quintanilla (€30)
    Biology - Campbell + Reece (€30)
    Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity - Kotz, Treichel and Weaver (€30)

JF Lecture Notes + Slides – All Biology and Chemistry Notes printed on A4. €15 each

SF Lecture Notes+Slides Printed –
    €10 each
    BY2201 + BY2202 + BY2203 + BY2204 + BY2205 + BY2207 + BY2208 + BY2209

PM for more info.
    Open to offers for multiple items.

• Advertisement

Can anyone who did BY2204 Evolution tell me about the lab work for that module please?

I'm pencilled in on the timetable to have that lab at a really awkward time (as in it means I've no break for the entire day) and am wondering if it is a formal lab in one of the laboratories, or is it done in your own time?

Advertisement