Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Jammyc wrote: »
    Yeah, but like one from the department and course booklets etc.? Probably won't get them until Fresher's week or whatever but being bored is taking its toll.

Emailing your department secretary seems to be the way to go from the looks of it. Apparently we get everything and get told everything then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Don't suppose anyone downloaded the PDF of the exam results. Need to know what subjects I failed but they've already taken it down. :(

I have it but I'm unsure as to whether I know how to attach properly...

Edit: Actually yeah I do know how to attach!

Have some feckin confidence in yourself will ya!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

Hey all,

So heading into SF now. Took Physics, Maths and Chemistry for JF but swapping Physics for Biology this year. Any advice on what I should glance over before starting? (I took HL Biology for the LC and got an A2.)

Cheers.

• Advertisement

SharpBerry wrote: »
    Hey all,

So heading into SF now. Took Physics, Maths and Chemistry for JF but swapping Physics for Biology this year. Any advice on what I should glance over before starting? (I took HL Biology for the LC and got an A2.)

Cheers.

To be honest I found that the SF modules didn't assume much JF knowledge (from what I saw). You shouldn't be missing information by starting at SF level, but people who did do Bio in JF will already have a headstart on some things. Genetics in particular had a lot of overlap, where the same concepts covered in JF were covered again but with more to them, so if you want to be at the same place as everyone else, maybe look at some genetics, but you wont be losing out by just starting at the beginning in September. Evolution was the same, you didn't need to remember stuff from JF, but if you did, it was handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

Cheers, that's excellent then. Should be able to manage it if I just keep on top of everything from September... had great intentions to look over the JF stuff over summer... I read through maybe the first 4 lectures :o

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Does anyone have the PDF of this year's JF results?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

dog_pig wrote: »
    Does anyone have the PDF of this year's JF results?

Cheers!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UDUAB9W1

Repeats study mode engaged!

Rant about getting a note stating I'm continuing college for my student grant forms.

JF: Just sent in a copy of the results pdf sheet with my results highlighted. No problem.

SF: Went into the office and said can I have and they gave me the letter within 60 seconds. No problem.

JS: Just had a doctor app, had rushed to the pharmacy forgetting about the Science office, ended up in the office 10 mins before close, knowing I had to be all the way down on Thomas St. in half an hour for my sister's birthday cake, and they inform me it's been all forms and transcripts since three years ago! I didn't even know what I was filling out, I wasn't sure they knew what I had meant because I didn't know what a transcript was! Now the ladies in the office are lovely, they couldn't be nicer, but the system is ridiculous. They were amazed I had never had to go through the process before. The process is a sham, a sham I tell you. Wasting both my time and the people working in the office who would probably have preferred to print me off a letter rather than file my scribbled form and subsequently contact me by email to come in and collect it.

Okay, I'm finished :)

• Advertisement

Rant about getting a note stating I'm continuing college for my student grant forms.

JF: Just sent in a copy of the results pdf sheet with my results highlighted. No problem.

SF: Went into the office and said can I have and they gave me the letter within 60 seconds. No problem.

JS: Just had a doctor app, had rushed to the pharmacy forgetting about the Science office, ended up in the office 10 mins before close, knowing I had to be all the way down on Thomas St. in half an hour for my sister's birthday cake, and they inform me it's been all forms and transcripts since three years ago! I didn't even know what I was filling out, I wasn't sure they knew what I had meant because I didn't know what a transcript was! Now the ladies in the office are lovely, they couldn't be nicer, but the system is ridiculous. They were amazed I had never had to go through the process before. The process is a sham, a sham I tell you. Wasting both my time and the people working in the office who would probably have preferred to print me off a letter rather than file my scribbled form and subsequently contact me by email to come in and collect it.

Okay, I'm finished :)

I've had to use transcripts since first year. Mind you my county council is exceptionally picky.

I'm Fingal CoCo, but I think they're less picky with me than most people because my application is always so neatly laid out. I think I'll send it out on Monday and just forward the transcript in case they want it. Was really angry yesterday though because of added circumstances.

Awkward moment when I'm also Fingal CoCo >_> Oh well it'll all work out.

Any incoming first years in need of module advice feel free to PM me. The process can be a little confusing if you like to keep all your options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 seasonoflove

Anyone know if I can take a language module with general science? Really want to continue french...:confused:

Anyone know if I can take a language module with general science? Really want to continue french...:confused:

Yup. You can but it'll be in the evening, you'll get a form with your course booklet when it comes in the post.

3rd/4th years, we're still in Natural Sciences for registration regardless of moderatorship right?

3rd/4th years, we're still in Natural Sciences for registration regardless of moderatorship right?

Yup. This is the first year were they have done it like that though. You may register outside that time if you really wanted to.

Ugh, changing the question for repeats, so inconsiderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Iceuil

Ok, this question was asked in the science freshers thread, but I will ask here too. I am going to do general science and I want to do a language too. Will I be able to take it as a broad-curriculum module or do I have to apply to do it NOT for credits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

You have to take the language outside of your credits. There is no broad curriculum option for first year science students. :)

Thank you, thats what i wanted to know!

Not to be a cynic but when third year comes around you'll likely just take whatever broad curriculum seems to be the most interesting and involve the least amount of effort so not to take away from your course. It's a great system but flawed in that you do it in the years that count towards your degree. Also as BC courses are made to be broad curriculum (Unlike electives in UCD that are modules that people in other courses must take) so some are kinda wishy washy.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

I'm starting 'Nanoscience, Physics & Chemistry of Advanced Materials' (TR077) this year. I'm just wondering where it says Science students have to fill out forms and stuff, is my course included in that? Like for modules and things.
    Cheers

DM360 wrote: »
    I'm starting 'Nanoscience, Physics & Chemistry of Advanced Materials' (TR077) this year. I'm just wondering where it says Science students have to fill out forms and stuff, is my course included in that? Like for modules and things.
    Cheers

Nah with NPCAM your modules are preselected for you. Don't worry about stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Padgeman

Good luck to all you people with repeats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Whats this about something being the first year they've done something for registering?

One quick question. How difficult is it to do physics without doing it for Leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Iceuil wrote: »
    One quick question. How difficult is it to do physics without doing it for Leaving cert?
    I can't answer that myself, but if you're just interested in doing a bit of it in first year there's a foundation physics module; it's aimed at people who have never done it before. But I don't think you can do full physics as well as foundation physics, so that might not be much help if physics is prerequisite for you.

• Advertisement

I did the foundation physics with no previous physics and I thought it was pretty tough. I think it was more the way it was taught rather than the subject matter, and everyone I spoke to who hadn't done it before had a similar opinion. If you're interested in physics I'd say do all or nothing, but don't bother with the foundation physics.

Advertisement