Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Where are the quotas for JS moderatorships?
    In the Sophister Course Handbook page 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cdoherty

Hi folks, I've just finished my JF year and only barely passed both Biology modules so I'm thinking of changing to Geography next year. I took it as a subject for my leaving cert but haven't studied it in college so I'd probably need to do a bit of work on it over the Summer. Tried looking for lecture notes on the tcd page but didn't have any luck. Would any earth scientists or JF scientists who took geography as a module be able to point me in the right direction? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's basically no notes, it's lectures and making your own notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cdoherty

Oh right bummer... would you say it's easy enough to pick up? Like I wouldn't imagine a huge amount of material was covered in first year as most students I know only took it as a module in the second term

I'd say it's very easy but I say that about just about everything other than chemistry-type subjects. :pac: If you've already done a module you'll be fine. You could do two modules of it next year and take Geography as your moderatorship.

• Advertisement

As said by the JS Course booklet, publication of moderatorships is supposed to be on the 8th/15th (conflicting statements on different pages). I emailed the science course office and was told we'd probably know by the 9th! Just so ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

Who's up for a protest outside the science course office (In the style of Sinead O'Connor)?, fight the real enemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Does anyone know when we find out what dates our supplementals take place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

dog_pig wrote: »
    Does anyone know when we find out what dates our supplementals take place?

Friends of mine (albeit in the med school) found out in August.

Yeah, I'm half dreading Friday/whenever they're out. Not overly optimistic about getting Immunology but the class surveys and the high failure rate don't completely rule it out at the sametime. Having met with the Biochem with Cell Bio co-ordinator I'm open to doing that as well now, more so than my third choice actually but I just wish I knew where I stood.

Bit of deja vu but has anybody that has ordered a transcript actually gotten it yet?

• Advertisement

Bit of deja vu but has anybody that has ordered a transcript actually gotten it yet?

I ordered one last year and didn't receive it or any word about it. My county council doesn't accept them for some reason anyways so I had to get "proof" from my tutor that I was continuing on to 2nd year, which included my results and no less than 3 letters from trinity. I'm dreading applying again this year :/

NeuroCat wrote: »
    I ordered one last year and didn't receive it or any word about it. My county council doesn't accept them for some reason anyways so I had to get "proof" from my tutor that I was continuing on to 2nd year, which included my results and no less than 3 letters from trinity. I'm dreading applying again this year :/

I assume it's Louth CoCo you're dealing with, nightmare. Combined with Trinity's lack of flexibility or common sense I didn't get registered until the last week before Christmas last year.

Cheers guys. I'm in Wickla and they took the transcript fine last year, got it sorted out now anyway, they're busy as fook in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotfoodforphil

Results are out! Congrats to everyone who passed their exams, I hope you got what you wanted!
    Myself, well I have to repeat two but sure it'll be grand! Not sure about the leftover courses though....
    Anyway hope you all got what you wanted!

(this is danishidiot btw) :-)

Results are out! Congrats to everyone who passed their exams, I hope you got what you wanted!
    Myself, well I have to repeat two but sure it'll be grand! Not sure about the leftover courses though....
    Anyway hope you all got what you wanted!

(this is danishidiot btw) :-)
    Cheers Paul!

Got my 1st choice! Physiology! Anyone else?

Someone might find this useful, just how many places allocated for each moderatorship:

Biochemistry with Structural Biology 2/10
    Biochemistry with Cell Biology 9/12
    Chemistry 13/25
    Environmental Sciences 6/20
    Functional Biology 2/10
    Genetics 16/14
    Geography 4/15
    Geology 12/20
    Immunology 18/18
    Microbiology 22/28
    Molecular Medicine 12/13
    Neuroscience 20/22
    Physics 12/25
    Physics and Astrophysics 12/12
    Physiology 16/16
    Plant Sciences 5/17
    Zoology 19/27

That's not my mistake with genetics btw. :pac: Judging from hot few of them filled up I assume most people got their first choice. :)

Made it into Immunology in the end. So relieved!

Craguls wrote: »
    Made it into Immunology in the end. So relieved!
    Congratulations!

Well now don't I feel dumb... didn't get Neuroscience, but instead, got Biochemistry with Cell Biology. I'm really unhappy but I dunno what to do. Considering writing to the course office to ask if I can switch to Microbiology :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

If so few of the courses filled up, does that mean there was a really high failure rate this year? Those numbers are unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Pet wrote: »
    If so few of the courses filled up, does that mean there was a really high failure rate this year? Those numbers are unbelievable.

From reading around the facebooks it seems molecular medicine and neuroscience are actually "full" as there's spaces being kept for people who deferred exams. 200 places were offered today from I think it's 289 spaces available. Also there's a handful have transferred out of the course. Also I think there's quite a few less people applying than there are places available as there's been a fair few dropouts so far. Bearing in mind that a fail or two out of 10 subjects means no place being offered it's pretty hard to read much into this in terms of failure rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Ah, so if you fail even one necessary module, you don't get a look in at the first round! Madness. Those numbers make a lot more sense to me now, though, thanks.

Ah, so if you fail even one necessary module, you don't get a look in at the first round! Madness. Those numbers make a lot more sense to me now, though, thanks.

You can fail in subjects worth a total of 10 credits and still "pass" once you get over 35 in them. I got over 35 in 2 and under 35 in 2 so I just need to either really improve 2 or marginally improve all 4. But yeah, the main thing is to pass everything, outside of a couple of the moderatorships a bare pass will get you in and even at that it would be an impressive feat to pass everything and have an average of under 50. :pac:

Yeah there was actually. 101 out of 234 failed microbiology, so much that the college itself was apparently unhappy with how the results went so that was a major contributing factor.

But yeah in addition to that many failed metabolism and chemistry meaning that, overall, 125/318 failed which is 39.3% higher than the normal of 33% most years.

I know I'm waaaaaaay ahead of myself here but just wondering:

What's the story with Broad Curriculum modules next year? I was having a poke around the website today. It already has a facility to apply for 2011/12 places, but I can't see any info about procedure ie. deadline to sign up or whether or not they go through the choices/sign up with us during fresher's week. Will we get any notice/instruction on applying or is this one of those things where they assume we're not lazy?

I know I'm waaaaaaay ahead of myself here but just wondering:

What's the story with Broad Curriculum modules next year? I was having a poke around the website today. It already has a facility to apply for 2011/12 places, but I can't see any info about procedure ie. deadline to sign up or whether or not they go through the choices/sign up with us during fresher's week. Will we get any notice/instruction on applying or is this one of those things where they assume we're not lazy?
    I think its open now because some people in other courses (Arts-y ones) could chose from the end of last academic year. I'm not too worried about it, I'd wait until we hear from our own departments!

I'd apply now if I were you. Friends of mine in TSM were never told that they needed to do it and waited until Freshers week when most things were gone.

They seem to have discontinued it for Immunology. I can't tell if this is good or bad...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard from their department yet with regard to timetable or anything else? I'm starting to get a little impatient now.:D Or if any SS can remember when they heard?

Is it not usually the case that your timetable comes up around registration time? I just assumed that's the way they always do it...

• Advertisement

Yeah, but like one from the department and course booklets etc.? Probably won't get them until Fresher's week or whatever but being bored is taking its toll.

Advertisement