Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomorrow's Irish Independent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

yawn.
    Thanks. At least now we know that it is you with the problem and not the people doing well in their exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Did that even make sense in your head before you said it?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

K4t wrote: »
    Fair play to the guy I say.

A lad in my school got 600, another got 590 and a good few more got over 550. Nearly all of them are some of the nicest, most genuine people you could meet. They went out during the year to parties, were involved in various sports etc. I would say maybe one of them is slightly socially shy but I still always gave him the time of day and always say hello if I see him on the street. Achieving over 500 points in the LC requires a lot of work and committment. These guys did their 3 or 4 hours a night but still had time for the internet, friends, televison, sports etc. But they were at school to work hard and receive an education and this they did to the best of their ability. And it is for this reason I salute them. We have had a lot of threads in AH recently about welfare state 'spongers' and so on. Yet when young boys and girls in this country go out and work hard in school and achieve incredible results, they are scorned by many of you and unfairly judged. Fair play I say. They deserve their moment in the limelight.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'd just like to say-

A friend of mine from school got 8A1s this year and he's absolutely lovely. Really sound and well rounded. And well liked by everyone.
    He's not a total losebag either who just sits in all the time, I've been to clubs and parties with him many a time.

I got 5As this year, and I don't see myself as being socially inadequate either.
    I didn't dedicate myself to my studies either, I was out pretty much every weekend and averaged 1.5hours study (including homework) a day.
    I went to a public school and did no grinds or revision courses or anything of the sort.
    So there.
    Smart people can be cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Look, if you got loads of A1s and are well adjusted and happy that's very unfair. Stop bragging and let us inadequate people believe that we could achieve too if only we tried

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Misterdenudatio

"I really hate the way success is dissed on in this country. Begrudgery, jealousy and bitterness is alive and well in this little benighted isle of ours...frown.gif"

Ah...isn't that why Ireland is feckin great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Misterdenudatio

bythewoods wrote: »
    I'd just like to say-

A friend of mine from school got 8A1s this year and he's absolutely lovely. Really sound and well rounded. And well liked by everyone.
    He's not a total losebag either who just sits in all the time, I've been to clubs and parties with him many a time.

I got 5As this year, and I don't see myself as being socially inadequate either.
    I didn't dedicate myself to my studies either, I was out pretty much every weekend and averaged 1.5hours study (including homework) a day.
    I went to a public school and did no grinds or revision courses or anything of the sort.
    So there.
    Smart people can be cool too.

But you seem to be the exception to the rule obviously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 splashdown18

and why do most these a-listers feel obliged to do medicine,simply because its the highest( and one of the most respected) courses?
    i really admire the girl who got 9 a1s this year whos doing primary teaching. i dont want some swot with no social skills telling me ive got arse rot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mr.Obvious

legendal wrote: »
    I'd rank people who do well because they work hard and have the foresight to make sacrifices during their school years as being pretty intelligent. One A1, let alone nine, isn't easy to come by so kudos to the guy in Cork.

I'd rank most of them as lacking in intelligence tbh.

Making all them sacrifices and working so hard when they could be doing more useful things with their time and still get the course they want. Now if that isn't dumb I don't know what is.

There are plenty of perfectly good courses in the 300-500 point range. Working really hard to get into a high points course when there's a mid-ranged one that equally interests you and has the same money prospects at the end of it, is pretty dumb also imo.

As for people who get 360 points and work really hard, that is because they have not been as enthusiatic about learning as the high achievers over the previous 13 years of school and as a result find themselves at a disadvantage. The further you fall behind the harder it gets to catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

and why do most these a-listers feel obliged to do medicine,simply because its the highest( and one of the most respected) courses?
    i really admire the girl who got 9 a1s this year whos doing primary teaching. i dont want some swot with no social skills telling me ive got arse rot

Ugh! Dude! Arse rot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

As for people who get 360 points and work really hard, that is because they have not been as enthusiatic about learning as the high achievers over the previous 13 years of school and as a result find themselves at a disadvantage. The further you fall behind the harder it gets to catch up.

Or because they are not as bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Riverpineapple

Hard work is nearly as good as being bright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 couch13

hard work is most important for success.

Hard work and talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 couch13

and abiltiy to memorize.

Which is a form of intelligence. i would hesitate to hire a doctor with a crap memory.

The leaving cert is no more a test of memory than most other exam systems - including university exam systems - and is less rote than some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Hats off to everyone who done well and worked hard for their LC. They deserve the applause etc.

The only problem I have though, is that the more and more coverage these 600 pointers get, the less prestigious lesser points are.

For example, the course I intend to do went up by 15 points this year to 400. When my auntie heard this she said "400! Sure that's not very much." Because of the media's constant coverage of these 8/7/6A1's students, 550+ becomes the industry standard to people who aren't familiar with the work involved, and therefore those of us who work hard to achieve 400+ are deemed less intelligent...

becomes the industry standard to people who aren't familiar with the work involved, and therefore those of us who work hard to achieve 400+ are deemed less intelligent...

Maybe you are not as intelligent?

This would hardly be a problem with hardworking soccer apprentices who dont get to play for United as a pro, would it? People need hard work to succeed but also, talent. Intelligence in exams, ability in soccer.

hardwork only gets so far.

But cheer up, as I said recently, the B students employ the A students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I say fair play to them. Whether you think the LC is just a 'memory test' (funny how often I hear this from people who got 300 points or less themselves:rolleyes:) or not, it takes alot of hard work and talent to get 600 points. Fair fcuks to to them, I say, and don't let the begrudgers drag you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

like its such a generalisation to assume anyone who does well is a nerd

i studied hard this year but like went out every weekend without fail, played football, won an all-ireland, went for long walks with a friend everyday and followed home and away religously...and i got 600 so like it really pisses me off when people make us all out to be like ugly nerdy geeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

rois! wrote: »

i studied hard this year but like went out every weekend without fail, played football, won an all-ireland, went for long walks with a friend everyday and followed home and away religously...and i got 600 so like it really pisses me off when people make us all out to be like ugly nerdy geeks

Woah that is seriously impressive!

I mean even I missed a couple of episodes of Home and Away.

u obviously werent as committed to the cause as i was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So what if they got 9 A1s? Isn't that better than if they were drug addled and banged up for their third babby?

I really hate the way success is dissed on in this country. Begrudgery, jealousy and bitterness is alive and well in this little benighted isle of ours...:(

Failure is dissed just as much. Being a drug addled sloshpot pays the bills in this begrudging little island nation of ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

asdasd wrote: »
    Maybe you are not as intelligent?

This would hardly be a problem with hardworking soccer apprentices who dont get to play for United as a pro, would it? People need hard work to succeed but also, talent. Intelligence in exams, ability in soccer.

hardwork only gets so far.

But cheer up, as I said recently, the B students employ the A students.

Your just proving my point, "Maybe you are not as intelligent?"

I could achieve 600 points if I really wanted to, but guess what, my course only requires 400. It's a level 8, honours degree course, just because I don't want to do medicine or architecture, does not mean that I'm less intelligent than anyone else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

The LC points system is heavily biased towards those who are strong at maths. So if you ace maths 500+ should be no bother as you should really ace applied maths physics and chemistry too. Maths was by far my worst subject and was my only Ordinary Level I took out of my 7, so I never had a realistic chance of getting 500 nevermind 6.

It is always going to be much more difficult in acing highly subjective subjects like English and history, because it is alot more than just being right/wrong ala the maths subjects. So I'd take the whole 'your must not be intellignet enough' with a pinch of salt, because it's just about utilising your strengths really. Like you could be a mathematical genius and get over 500 points and not be able to put 2 coherent sentances of Irish/English together on a piece of paper. Likewise you could be very good at languages and not much else and still do very well.

And I'm not bitter, I'm just pointing out a potential flaw of the 'all-round' LC points system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

The LC points system is heavily biased towards those who are strong at maths. So if you ace maths 500+ should be no bother as you should really ace applied maths physics and chemistry too. Maths was by far my worst subject and was my only Ordinary Level I took out of my 7, so I never had a realistic chance of getting 500 nevermind 6.

It is always going to be much more difficult in acing highly subjective subjects like English and history, because it is alot more than just being right/wrong ala the maths subjects. So I'd take the whole 'your must not be intellignet enough' with a pinch of salt, because it's just about utilising your strengths really. Like you could be a mathematical genius and get over 500 points and not be able to put 2 coherent sentances of Irish/English together on a piece of paper. Likewise you could be very good at languages and not much else and still do very well.

And I'm not bitter, I'm just pointing out a potential flaw of the 'all-round' LC points system.

I agree to an extent, but I also did OL Maths and History/English were my best subjects, I got over 500 points. Not boasting, just saying that it can be done!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

rois! wrote: »

Winning an All-Ireland in the year of your Leaving is impressive. In fact, so impressive that I have to re-read the above to find the number of points you got. The latter still don't really mean as much to me. Unlike the Leaving, the All Ireland medal will stand to you, your kids and your grandkids for decades.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Acacia wrote: »
    I agree to an extent, but I also did OL Maths and History/English were my best subjects, I got over 500 points. Not boasting, just saying that it can be done!:D

Of course it can be done, but it's more difficult no? Like my brother was a freak at Maths and left his HL physics exam an hour early cos he knew he had got everything right i.e. guaranteed A1 - that's what your up against!

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Winning an All-Ireland in the year of your Leaving is impressive. In fact, so impressive that I have to re-read the above to find the number of points you got. The latter still don't really mean as much to me. Unlike the Leaving, the All Ireland medal will stand to you, your kids and your grandkids for decades.

Well done.

omg thank you!! hey thats not even impressive...some of my classmates won 2 all-irelands this year!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Look at ye all with yer high points score!!!
    Well done ye studied away for the 2 years and came out with 550+ pts:eek:
    Where do you go from there?Off to Trinity and work yer little heads off studying medicine or law for another 4/5 years and then get a highly pressure filled job that may pay well but you wont even have time to spend any of it!!!
    My L.C. 2009
    7 SUBJECTS
    4 HIGHER
    3 ORDINARY
    PASSED EVERYTHING!
    275pts :cool:

Planning on becoming a member of An Garda Siochana(once things pick up in a few years:pac:) after I complete my 3 year course in my local I.T.

Advertisement