Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomorrow's Irish Independent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

asdasd wrote: »
    The only thing I would agree with is that the leaving cert is not a big predictor of very much success in later life ( neither is IQ). Most people who are top smarts are a bit socially inept ( which is far from being proud) and/or intelligent but not creative. They have drive for the leaving cert, and for the degree, and that gets you a good job in medicine.

But lets face it - medicine is rote learning, mostly. And comfortable, not rich.

The A students often work for the B students, the real talent someone could have is smarts and entrepreneurialism.

Dunno about that. One of the most charming people I know got 600 points in their Leaving and spent every working hour studying or going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Most?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Alot of jealously in this thread shrouded with being anti-smugness or whatever.

If you were in their position you wouldn't be the the oh so humble person you expect the rest of the world to be.

Anyone can be humble, a humble doctor or a smug bin collector(Ok maybe not the best example :p), its not what job you have or how you took care of your education or if you are talented, its just how your personality is.

That said most high acvhievers in the LC would be a bit socially introverted and thats fine, Not everyone has to be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i know somone who will get 600....no friends at all...not that no one tried.... just he didnt fit in at all.

and his sister wo was a super genius as well went crazy and attacked somone ...she is litreally in a mental hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Most?

Agreed.

I always hang a most on my assertions too. Otherwise pedants take me to task about my generalizations which is boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Begrudgery...jeez, the only candidate with 9 A1s this year was a lad from Cork. I don't care how much he studied, he did it.

One of mine got 590, really tough home situation, stayed in studying late, a school with not a great academic reputation. If you want it, get it, that's what I say!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

You're being sarcastic aren't you?

It's hard to tell on this interweb yoke!

No, not at all (although it is hard to tell on this yoke). Such a decision is a genuinely nice break from the Hello/Sunday Independent school of pretension that too often marks such choices. A girl I know also got well over 500 points but chose architecture in Bolton Street over UCD, although the more insecure UCD heads would make a lot of assumptions about why she is in a DIT, all of which would be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The whole idea that you're somehow "wasting" points if you're smart and don't care about doing medicine or law or whatever is stupid anyway. Just pick what you'd like to do, and might be good at. There is no such thing as wasting points.

Jesus, what if the freaking musician, philosopher, writer or artist were not humble, or did well in music, English, or Art in the leaving cert.

hehe asdasd. If he were not humble then he would not be my preference which was not for a musician but for the humble musician. English, marvellous language, eh ;)
    Humility is largely over-rated. A good sportsman should be proud of his abilities, as a good musician should, as a good artist should.

Humility is a far greater value in my book than some ostentatious pride, particularly when the pride is frequently largely due to having many advantages in life. A quiet pride is admirable and a sign of maturity and wisdom. Cockiness is cruising for a bruising, and that bruising always comes. To take one example of many, how could anybody not have wanted Chris Eubank to be beaten black and blue with the way he carried on like a peacock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Most?

Ah I dunno really. Again, I think you'll find anti-social types at all ranges of grades, be it 600 points or 6 points.

Sure where I went to school, bar one lad who was autistic, all the social retards were stupid too.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    I always hang a most on my assertions too. Otherwise pedants take me to task about my generalizations which is boring.

Ahem. Should that not be mostly rather than always? (or even 'often', 'regularly', 'frequently' ...) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i can't imagine Jesus is that jealous to be honest. He's got loads goin on.
    The f**ker can change water into wine. Course I'm jealous of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Since it's Thursday now, here's today's Irish Times' front page photograph:

http://www.irishtimes.com/todayspaper/2009/0813/index.html

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Ice_Box wrote: »
    Anti-intellectualism is not just an Irish problem ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-intellectualism

tl;dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

If he were not humble then he would not be my preference which was not for a musician but for the humble musician. English, marvellous language, eh

But why should the world take your preferences into account? Famous musicians are not humble. In general. There are always people who hate the legitimately proud ( we all hate the illegitamtely proud like Pee Flynn). Back in the day someone hated Beethoven, the proud show-off. It's all spit-balls from the back of the mediocre class.

And why should anyone really care what the perenial begrudgers think.

Back OT, some kid has worked hard and is now in the paper. If that upsets you then, really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well...has anyone seen it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Well...has anyone seen it yet?

Who? the big nerdy ginger on the front of the times?
    imagine the pu$$y that guy is going to get

http://www.irishtimes.com/todayspaper/

He may get a haircut first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Naikon wrote: »
    I smell BS.

Why?

So the guy worked hard, studied well ( shame on him ) and gave it his best shot. The doesn't mean he was sitting there for the last year thinking "I am going to get 9 A1's".

I am sure he worked hard, and intended to acheive, but that doesn't mean he's driven by ego and HAD to get 9 A1's.

A lot of the attitude in this thread makes me wonder what people's LC scores were like. I get the impression it's a case of "too school to make it through school" with a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Who? the big nerdy ginger on the front of the times?
    imagine the pu$$y that guy is going to get

http://www.irishtimes.com/todayspaper/

If he's so smart - how come he can't find a cure to being ginger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Forget about that ginger lad. What about that 18 year old from Limerick whot got 8 A1s and is now off to Harvard - turns out he's also a millionaire from selling a software company himself and his brother started a few years ago. :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0813/1224252501479.html?via=mr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The posts saying stuff like "I knew someone who got 6 A1s and they had no friends/were a weirdo/will kill us all" make me laugh! It's as if people who didn't get that are somehow guaranteed to be more normal. Guess what? The biggest freak/weirdo I ever knew dropped out of school at 15 and became a junkie. Now that's a loser, not somebody who happens to have put a bit of effort in and got great results in the leaving. Yes some people who get 600 points are odd, but take almost any demographic or group and you will find the sociable and unsociable. Fair play to people who do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Doesn't matter how smart he is, he's still a ginger and that's always going to hold him back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The posts saying stuff like "I knew someone who got 6 A1s and they had no friends/were a weirdo/will kill us all" make me laugh!l.

Exactly.

I did well in the leaving and I was by far the coolest guy in school.

In the whole postcode, in fact.

And I'm not ginger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

lala stone wrote: »
    These A1ers always seem to be from Cork? anyone notice that?!
    See... always from Cork!!!!!!

Ah well 4 years of celibacy for Ginger dude.. bring on the good times!

Dragan wrote: »
    Why?

So the guy worked hard, studied well ( shame on him ) and gave it his best shot. The doesn't mean he was sitting there for the last year thinking "I am going to get 9 A1's".

I am sure he worked hard, and intended to acheive, but that doesn't mean he's driven by ego and HAD to get 9 A1's.

A lot of the attitude in this thread makes me wonder what people's LC scores were like. I get the impression it's a case of "too school to make it through school" with a lot of it.

Methinks you take things way too seriously.

Dragan wrote: »
    "too school to make it through school" with a lot of it.
    what does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Ah well 4 years of cleibacy for Ginger dude.. bring on the good times!

What does that mean? I presume you didn't get an A1 in English.

prinz wrote: »
    What does that mean? I presume you didn't get an A1 in English.
    No ur right I didnt... if that was a dig because I asked what the above was then dont bother, I genuinely thought this was some phrase I had never heard of..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

No ur right I didnt... if that was a dig because I asked what the above was then dont bother, I genuinely thought this was some phrase I had never heard of..

'too cool for school' I'm guessing. And I didn't need 9 A's to work that one out.

Advertisement