Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

alllcounty wrote: »
    What better way to get the mind focused is a competitive match, 2 weeks of sitting around is plenty of time. I think they should be playing, we are a small county as it allready is, the smallest in Munster, along with 1/3 of the county taken over by the commeraghs and knockmedowns. We need our best players more than other hurling counties or we'll be getting beaten by 10+ points or more like pre 98.

What about the Monavullagh's

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Never heard of the mona what!!

Hopefully our full team will be ready by 3rd of April against Offaly. Dont see us beating Tipp, Cork, Kilkenny or Galway especially if seriously depleated team take to the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Tipp and KK away will be very tough so I don't really expect us to go out and win those games, if we can put in good performances I wouldn't be too disappointed. Cork and Galway at home are the games we should look to win, aswell as away to Offaly. If we won 3 out of those 5 aforementioned games, I think that would be a good return.
    no one on the predictions thread has gone for waterford - 16/16 for tipperary so far

I wouldn't really expect anything different tbh, not many givivg us a chance but hey, the underdog tag served us well many a time before!

P.S. Good to see more Deise supporters on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Hopefully our full team will be ready by 3rd of April against Offaly. Dont see us beating Tipp, Cork, Kilkenny or Galway especially if seriously depleated team take to the field.

Id be more optimistic. Id like to see us have a right rattle off Tipp on Saturday night. The pressure is on them, their the all ireland champions and havent won a competitive game since under the new management. Whereas were still unbeaten. Theyve been pretty tame in the league so far so they need a good win. Were underdogs with a youthful side and I think were better served with the younglads at this stage of the league. They should be hungry for it and know that its a chance to stake a place before the more senior lads are back. If were only going up there to make up the numbers and give the younglads game time then were at nothing and heading back to the pre-98 days.
    The one Id like to see us win is the home game against Galway. Weve an awful record against them in the league, couldnt tell you when we beat them last. That should be motivation for us. Theres too much pessimism around about where were at, I think were still one of the powerhouses of hurling and the young lads coming through have what it takes. We just need to get the balance of youth and experience right in the team. The last place we want to be is where the likes of Clare and Wexford are at.

• Advertisement

I agree. Early stages of the league is a good time to blood the new players coming through. Hopefully 3 or 4 of them can rise to the occasion this year. We need at least 2-3 quality players coming through year after year. Likes of other counties like our neighbours in Kilkenny have a panel of 35 that are all very strong, and are all well able to hurl.

If we get beaten tonight so be it, provided what goes out give it their best and don’t wait for things to happen. Determination, skill, choosing the right options and playing as a unit is what is required. If that is in evidence tonight especially among the new lads then we can achieve a strong panel that is evidenced in other stronger counties. This will be important going forward as players pick up injuries, some may be having an off day come championship and even to keep the competition for places strong. Realistically in the league we should be targeting Offlay away, Cork at home and maybe in our last game Galway at home.

Also found out Monavullagh are part of the Comeraghs. Tought they were all the one.

Also found out Monavullagh are part of the Comeraghs. Tought they were all the one.

Not Exactly, Comeraghs are what you can see from near the Butlerstown Round about in Waterford, In Clonmel and Nire Valey etc. Monavullagh's are what you see in Kilrossanty, Dungarvan, Colligan, Kilbrien etc. They do run into each other or almost do however.

Team against Tipp:

C. Hennessy
    D. Fives
    S. Fives
    J. Maher
    W. Hutchinson
    Brick
    J. Nagle
    S. O' Sullivan
    S. Molumphy
    M. Shanahan
    R. Foley
    Padraig Mahony
    S. Walsh
    S. Prendergast
    T. Ryan

Connors and Philip Mahony injured, Shane Casey and Stephen O' Keeffe drop to the bench. In come Jerome Maher, Maurice, Clinton and Shane Walsh.

Not too bad a team I suppose, probably would have liked to see SOK keep his place in goal although Davy and co. did say they'd rotate 'keepers during the league. Good to see Shane Fives been given a good chance to hold our troublesome no. 3 spot. Half back line held strong against Wexford last day out, same again today please.
    Glad to see Molumphy back out to midfield, I think that's his best position and feel he's wasted in the forwards as his scoring rate isn't his strongest part of his game.
    Wonder who'll take freetaking duties-Richie or Maurice. I feel P. Mahoney might be a bit light against Tipp half back line but if he can use his pace he can cause problems.
    I'm hoping we don't persevere with what we did the last day of just raining down balls on top of Seamus Prender, we got little joy from it against Wexford but kept doing it. Tougher test too for Seamus against Paul Curran. Few balls to the corner for Tommy Ryan to run onto to get him more involved as the last day he didn't get much but anytime he did, he went on a dangerous run goalwards. Few scores from Shane Walsh needed too. I reckon we'll see Ken on at some stage.

It'll be tough, hard to see us winning it but if we apply ourselves right, keep up the work rate and take our chances when they present themselves, we'll be in with a shout. Not sure how a game under lights will suit us, by the looks of things it doesn't suit Tipp.

COME ON THE DEISE

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Maybe the delay in naming the team to play Tipp is down to the number of injuries we supposedly have,but i agree it should be definately named more less the day before the game. Whatever happened to the days of A.N OTHER??
    The second string Team played Kilkenny wednesday night in Carriganore where there were some new faces getting a chance to impress the management team and it was great to see Tony Browne back playing, the man's a legend and probably same age as Davy Fitz and still going strong, their playing Clarinbridge in Tipp Town tomorrow before the League match not sure of a time yet..

Story with this?
    Not much respect to Tipperary nor the whole league by playing a challenge before it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Setanta's commentary is f**kin rubbish!

• Advertisement

could say tipp have dropped off, but some spirited performance here by 13 man waterford, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

deise_girl wrote: »
    Story with this?
    Not much respect to Tipperary nor the whole league by playing a challenge before it..

it was the second string team, that played Clarinbridge. Their made up of the intermediate team and the de la salle lads who are getting a chance to impress.

What is Shane O Sullivan playing at hitting his man with a hurley in the back ever before the ball landing. 13 against 15, no contest. Back to the drawing board for our next match.

What is Shane O Sullivan playing at hitting his man with a hurley in the back ever before the ball landing. 13 against 15, no contest. Back to the drawing board for our next match.

couldnt really see it now on my fuzzy tiny television, was it warranted yeah? thought clinton was extremely silly and out of character for what he did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Fair play to the 13 men for keeping it respectable. Daragh Fives could put Eoin Murphy under pressure come championship if he keeps it up

O Riain wrote: »
    couldnt really see it now on my fuzzy tiny television, was it warranted yeah? thought clinton was extremely silly and out of character for what he did

Duno just reading it on rte sport. Looks like Noel McGrath was running rings around the place popping over points from all angles. Cant be having that.

O Riain wrote: »

Ya he deserved it, but to be fair to him he could have been blinded by the lights.

deisedude wrote: »
    Fair play to the 13 men for keeping it respectable. Daragh Fives could put Eoin Murphy under pressure come championship if he keeps it up

Ya fair fecks to the 13 men for keep trying. But lets ask outselves a question, in the second half and in particular after the sending offs how much did Tipp try. I did not see the first half so cant comment. I got the idea Tipp were happy so long as they won, and it did not matter if it was by one point or twenty ones points. I feel if needed they could have uped their game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,685 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not surprised that Tip won to be honest but the 2 reds will be talked about alot. To finish within 5 pts of Tip by the end can be seen as a good result for 13 men. Tip didn't seem to put the foot down however - just did enough - nearly going throught the motions near the end. They have had 2 long seasons and are staring into a 3rd and I think are just happy not to be relegated this year before the real effort starts for the championship.
    As for waterford I would have liked to see all 15 finish the game as it might have made a difference but they will look forward to their next game and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Ya he deserved it, but to be fair to him he could have been blinded by the lights.

you could see o sullivan indicating to the referee that the lights blinded him. no way could the referee take it into account. fitzgerald mentioned the lights in his post match interview as well. hennessy has no real excuse, he had to prevent the goal but could have been more subtle and got a yellow at most. both red cards deserved unfortunately.
    on the goalie issue, if i was fitzgerald i would choose between power and o keeffe and give whoever it is a chance to play every game while hennessy is suspended, give him a real run in the team. think i would lean towards o keeffe although power did nothing wrong this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I agree i'd play o keeffe myself, give him plenty of game time and see how he goes.. Personally i think Adrian power hasnt fulfilled his potential tbh take his long puck out away from him and he's fairly average so it would be good to see more of O'Keeffe he's been great in the club championship last 2 years so why not throw him in now an if he goes well give him the number 1 jersey for the limerick game..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

48-Waterford-v-Tipperary-5-March-2011-500x375.jpg

"Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’" I've being trying for a few minutes to come up with some witticism about this that will seque with my match report and failed miserably. Click here to see how miserably.

Hard what to make of last night, happy that we at least pulled together when the 2 got sent off but disappointed that they were dismissed for silly challenges and let the team down when we were even struggling with 15 on the field. Very uncharacteristic of the 2 lads. Some of our play was poor, we just have this habit of overplaying the ball in defence and got badly caught out for it numerous times. Don't like to say it but Brick was a main culprit for this. Noel McGrath once again the thorn in our sides and having the freedom of Thurles to take some of his scores. He roams outfield a lot so you'd have to ask if it's more use to leave Brick follow him out and leave gaps at the back or to hold his line.
    Up front, we weren't exactly prolific, relying mainly on Foley's frees (took them well in fairness). We never got much of a sniff near goal which was disappointing, bar Tommy Ryans run that resulted in him receiving a high challenge. Thought the ref probably should have gave the Tipp defender a red for a neck high challenge and denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Positives, well it was good to see the two Fives' play well, solid throughout. Padraig Mahony was lively too, Sully was decent until he got sent off, Richie and Molumphy good games too. Seamus and Maurice tried hard but nothing was going to go their way up top when we were down to 13. Good to see Ken back also.

So Cork at home next week, is that in Walsh Park or Fraher? Big improvement needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Cake Man wrote: »
    So Cork at home next week, is that in Walsh Park or Fraher? Big improvement needed.

Amazing how hard it is to find out something as simple as this, you never know which website - GAA, Munster, Waterford - will be up-to-date. In this case, the GAA's one is. It's in Fraher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

I agree i'd play o keeffe myself, give him plenty of game time and see how he goes.. Personally i think Adrian power hasnt fulfilled his potential tbh take his long puck out away from him and he's fairly average so it would be good to see more of O'Keeffe he's been great in the club championship last 2 years so why not throw him in now an if he goes well give him the number 1 jersey for the limerick game..

I wouldn't say Power is average. Superior shot stopper to Clinton but probably not as good at tidying up around the square. I'd still rotate keepers as Davy is doing. Best way to keep everyone on their toes

I dont know. I have seen Adrian in many of the club championship games with the past three or four years and think he is the best keeper in the championship in that time.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Hard what to make of last night, happy that we at least pulled together when the 2 got sent off but disappointed that they were dismissed for silly challenges and let the team down when we were even struggling with 15 on the field. Very uncharacteristic of the 2 lads. Some of our play was poor, we just have this habit of overplaying the ball in defence and got badly caught out for it numerous times. Don't like to say it but Brick was a main culprit for this. Noel McGrath once again the thorn in our sides and having the freedom of Thurles to take some of his scores. He roams outfield a lot so you'd have to ask if it's more use to leave Brick follow him out and leave gaps at the back or to hold his line.
    Up front, we weren't exactly prolific, relying mainly on Foley's frees (took them well in fairness). We never got much of a sniff near goal which was disappointing, bar Tommy Ryans run that resulted in him receiving a high challenge. Thought the ref probably should have gave the Tipp defender a red for a neck high challenge and denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Positives, well it was good to see the two Fives' play well, solid throughout. Padraig Mahony was lively too, Sully was decent until he got sent off, Richie and Molumphy good games too. Seamus and Maurice tried hard but nothing was going to go their way up top when we were down to 13. Good to see Ken back also.

Dont think anyone could argue with what you sayy. I wonder would the challenges that lead to the sending off be down to the training. I dont think there is any need for that sort of challenge on the field.

I dont think either that the Tipp challenge you mentioned deserved a red card. It was more into the chest that Thomas Ryan got the challenge and nowhere near as high or as dangerous as the ones committed by both Clinton and Sullivan.

It cetainly is a worry that we are still looking to one or two players for the scores. There is a need to go back to direct hurling where players shoot when they get a chance and take their score. Right now we depend on Richie for a lot of scores but as sooon as Mullane and Kelly come back it, it will be a case of up to them to score i fear because of the tactics used by the management. The quickest and easiest way to score at times is in a straight line and not making detours so that we have to pass certain spots. i would rather see the six forwards, two lads in centre field and some of the half backs all chip in with two, three or four points each than to have one player with all the responsibility on his shoulders to hit figures in the double digits. However i dont think we will see any changes in this, in the near future. Regretfully i think.

Ah yeah I suppose had the ref given the Tipp defender a red for the TR challenge, I don't think it would have made much of a difference, you always knew Tipp had that extra gear or two to use if they really had to. Agree re the needing more players to chip in with some scores, we can't keep relying on frees to get us through games. Last night in fairness was an improvement on the Wexford game with Maurice (0-1), Seamus (0-2), Molumphy (0-1), Richie from play (0-3), Shane Walsh (0-1) and Ryan (0-1) a better return but it can improve.

What'll be the story with Clinton and Sully now, is it 2 or 3 game bans? I couldn't imagine they are even worth appealing!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Whatever the max ban is, Clinton will get it i'ld say. It was really dangerous and he can have no excuse. He could have tried to wrestle him to the ground or ran into him but looked like he just have a brain surge and paniced. Out of character but that won't save him. O'Sullivan will get 2 matches i guess.

Re: the Tipp 'around the neck' challenge on Ryan. If its around the neck, it should be a sending off, no excuse. The levels of how bad it looks should make no difference. Its better to stop that kind of tackle now before some guy end up a cripple. Its becoming a common place tackle and as usual, the GAA will wait until someone is badly injuried and then kick up war about stomping it out. Announce its a straight red and you stop it at source.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I know people will probably disagree with me here but..
    Im wondering how out of character this kinda thing is for us now. This is 3 red cards we've gotten in what 6 competitive matches? Thats a pretty awful record tbf. And I was reading last week a few comments on another site about the challenge game in sixmilebridge last weekend and I know its only 2 people opinions but still
    in the last 15mins 3 of the WD lads would have had straight reds if it was a league or championship match....
    ...I know it was only a challenge but a few Waterford tackles were criminal at the least...
    And some of the yellow cards we've gotten in games were pure dirty strokes too, like Shane Walshs yellow card last night or Shane O Sullivans against Dublin and I think it was Foley against CIT (Theres been more but I cant remember them exactly) And I wonder did any of yee notice Clinton in the first half? Every time a ball went over his head he was screaming and waving his hands giving out at his players and once or twice he started throwing his hurley at the crossbar, it was no secret he was agitated, but even over the last year Ive watched him getting more and more animated there giving out to umpires and getting in their faces when he was unhappy with decisions. Obviously we know where this recent change of character has come from, the former goalie himself.

I wonder what it is Davy says to the team at half time, we've all noticed the team playing much better in the second half (Against CIT, Clare, Dublin, etc) but by giving them more life and firing them up, its making them give away frees easier and causing them to lose their heads..

I know its the cliché thing to blame your manager, but how on earth do you not learn from the Noel McGrath, Brick thing last year? And how do you not realise that by overplaying the ball you're making yourself more vulnerable for silly mistakes, and that if they played direct hurling it'd benefit us more.
    Im honestly starting to think this year its backwards we're going and I wouldnt blame the players at all. I think they're doing pretty well and a lot of the time its not down to them its down to not being allowed by the management to do any more, eg Brick follow McGrath or forwards take their own scores. But the whole game plan is fecked at the moment and I worry for our games this year :/

*Sorry for the massive post which is probably flawed*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement