Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

ah right, I hope he isn't out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

s3129 wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are very much mistaken. I was at the game and it was very fair in terms of fouling, there was no messiness, the lads on both teams played the ball. Clarinbridge do not foul like that off the ball, they don't rise to it, if you look at games against Portumna and Loughrea there was none of that going on. They are not a dirty team, they fight for the ball but do not attack off the ball. The lads had their heads in the game at all times. It is the refs decision when he blows the whistle and played only a few seconds over the minute. I don't hear you complaining about the soft free de la salle got at the end of the 2nd half to draw it? The ref gave enough time for a de la salle attack after the winning goal, and if your foward had got the ball into his hand it would very much be a different story. Stop your complaining and understand there can only be one winner. The game was up and down throughout, both teams played unbelievable, but we all know, and it was proven, it takes just one puck of the ball to change a game. Rant all you want but theres no need to make up stories.!

Rant over :)

Yeah cause that free had nothing to do with chopping the hurley across on stephen daniels hand while he had the ball in it.
    Look at the end of the day, the winning goal was scored fair and square by clarinbridge so i cant have much grievance there. I can have it with the ref though and he did at the end of the day lose the game for de la salle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I thought this was a game of immense quality. there were 4 NHL games over the weekend where the quality was well below average. DLS and Clarinbridge was by far the best game of the weekend in terms of quality... the skill level on both sides was unbelievable and resembled summer senior inter-county hurling at its best.

I'd say most of the time but there were enough instances where players couldn't pick the ball up in part due to trying to do it with one hand and the like. Also, there were some poor mis-hits. But I agree there was quality there in abundance too. The one thing I would say is the Inter county teams are only just back training and a lot of it at this time of year will be without hurleys and there was more at stake plus a better surface (though obviously not as good as it will be in the summer).

On the issue of the ref, I thought he let a lot go and then called stupid things like that free he gave Clarinbridge on the 21 instead of the keeper getting to take his puck out, that just didn't make sense. There was no nastiness though, and of the frees that weren't given I'd say it was fairly even. I do see your point I think when Mullane cleared the ball he should have blown it and maybe that's why the buzzer rule will be a step in the right direction but then at the same time it could take the magic away from the game too. The ref didn't lose the game for De La Salle to be fair, they were unlucky maybe they deserved to win but then they had the game won twice and they let it slip and went a point behind, something they couldn't draw back the second time. That's sport, it's killer for them and they did themselves very proud and I can't wait to see Moran and Mullane back with Waterford, in addition to Twomey and Daniels (he didnt have his best day out on Saturday but still a class player) and to see Jake Dillon with the minors and possibly under 21s and Madigan with the 21s because he was immense yet again when he came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭s3129

O Riain wrote: »
    Yeah cause that free had nothing to do with chopping the hurley across on stephen daniels hand while he had the ball in it.
    Look at the end of the day, the winning goal was scored fair and square by clarinbridge so i cant have much grievance there. I can have it with the ref though and he did at the end of the day lose the game for de la salle.

I was just about to agree with your post until the very last line. Don't call yourself a follower of hurling if you are going around saying the ref lost the game for de la salle. Don't be hung up over a matter of seconds, if it was the other way around you wouldn't be talking about the ref at all.

You are the only one who says the game was dirty. It wasn't. It was the best club match I myself have ever seen! It was exciting and had everyone on the edge of their seats til the very end. Neither team gave up and one team were victorious. Some one had to be. Don't be so sour as to blame the ref. Each team were deserving of a win and although it must be heart breaking for de la salle to lose that way, if Clarinbridge lost it would have been the same story.

Im sure if you called on any of the players they would agree that the game was played fairly by both teams and ref, so please, end your complaining.

Thats hurling.

s3129 wrote: »
    I was just about to agree with your post until the very last line. Don't call yourself a follower of hurling if you are going around saying the ref lost the game for de la salle. Don't be hung up over a matter of seconds, if it was the other way around you wouldn't be talking about the ref at all.

You are the only one who says the game was dirty. It wasn't. It was the best club match I myself have ever seen! It was exciting and had everyone on the edge of their seats til the very end. Neither team gave up and one team were victorious. Some one had to be. Don't be so sour as to blame the ref. Each team were deserving of a win and although it must be heart breaking for de la salle to lose that way, if Clarinbridge lost it would have been the same story.

Im sure if you called on any of the players they would agree that the game was played fairly by both teams and ref, so please, end your complaining.

Thats hurling.

Look I wouldnt consider pulling,dragging and holding particularly aggressive or dirty but they do constitute a foul.
    In fairness to clarinbridge the only thing even remotely dirty i saw was a wild pull by one of the players but that can be put down to being careless rather then dirty and would have constituted no more than a yellow.
    At this stage I have nothing against clarinbridge and I do wish them the best of luck, but please leave me with the one little thing that the Ref was and is, an arsehole :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 horselips

I thought it was a fantastic game of hurling, end to end, unbelievably exciting. Fair play to both teams, pity there had to be a loser but thats sport.

O'Riain I read today that Michael Ryan's term as manager is up. Do you know who the manager/backroom team are for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Lads I did an interview with Molumphy for my show on Monday if any of you wanna check it out. He only rang half-way through the ad break so apologies for the 'eh's and 'hmm's, was kinda caught off guard! One of the other guys did a piece with Mullane last week before the DLS game if you want to listen to it as well. Just go to facebook.com/dcufmsport and click podcasts there on the left.

Shameless plug over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

horselips wrote: »
    I thought it was a fantastic game of hurling, end to end, unbelievably exciting. Fair play to both teams, pity there had to be a loser but thats sport.

O'Riain I read today that Michael Ryan's term as manager is up. Do you know who the manager/backroom team are for next year?

Ray Murphy and Luke Lalor,will stay on, with maybe Owen Dunphy coming back in as a selector this time,but nothin set in stone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

I hear Owen Dunphy is definitely going back in as manager this year, returning after a year with Clonea.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Are the De La Salle players back for the game against Tipp this Sat evening in Thurles. Also can anyone tell me if St Mollerans/Carrick beg are still joined up with Portlaw at underage. I never hear any tell of them..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

alllcounty wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if St Mollerans/Carrick beg are still joined up with Portlaw at underage. I never hear any tell of them..

Not unless they have gone back with each other this year.

tnks tom, yeah was thinking they wearn't, no minor team this year either, doesen't look to good for them. Good win for Ard Scoill Ris, champions of munster 2 years in a row. Limerick hurling is not all dead. I was walking around de la salle college there at the weekend, and looks like they have just one small crap pitch at the front of the school. Is that their only training facilities, if so they'll hardly be winning any more colleges titles

tnks tom, yeah was thinking they wearn't, no minor team this year either, doesen't look to good for them. Good win for Ard Scoill Ris, champions of munster 2 years in a row. Limerick hurling is not all dead. I was walking around de la salle college there at the weekend, and looks like they have just one small crap pitch at the front of the school. Is that their only training facilities, if so they'll hardly be winning any more colleges titles

they've a 50,000 seater stadium up the back next to the ball alley. pitch wudnt make much of a difference even though the pitch in DLS is dire, but theres more fields across the road by the river.

Deise_Davy wrote: »
    I hear Owen Dunphy is definitely going back in as manager this year, returning after a year with Clonea.

He definitely wont be in as manager will he?? I thought he was to be offered selectosr role.. it would be completely un-fair to Ray Murphy an Luke Lawlor if he was given Manager's job in my opinion.. And also I dont see Owen wanting to come back?? Didnt he leave on his own accord,saying he brought them as far as he could???

Are the De La Salle players back for the game against Tipp this Sat evening in Thurles. Also can anyone tell me if St Mollerans/Carrick beg are still joined up with Portlaw at underage. I never hear any tell of them..

I Heard the seniors are playin Cork tomorrow nite in carriganore?? -Dunno how true it is but i heard some players from DLS are gettin a trial.. And I also heard the minors are playing carlow aswell tomorrow nite also in carriganore like i said now i only heard...

Ya hopefully the de la salle players will be available, badly need them against Tipp. After losing their opening 2 matchs their not going to be in any mood to pushed around in their home pitch. Reckon galway will do the league and all ireland double this year, got odds of 18/1 yesterday, decided to put 30 on it. They have been on an upward curve these last 2 years, been in leinster, having a stable management structure and seeing tipp do it last year will drive them over the line this year.

Ya hopefully the de la salle players will be available, badly need them against Tipp. After losing their opening 2 matchs their not going to be in any mood to pushed around in their home pitch. Reckon galway will do the league and all ireland double this year, got odds of 18/1 yesterday, decided to put 30 on it. They have been on an upward curve these last 2 years, been in leinster, having a stable management structure and seeing tipp do it last year will drive them over the line this year.

Same is said every year about galway, i know one year they will do it, possibly this year, but honest to god now, we've been saying it since 2005, even longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

O Riain wrote: »
    Same is said every year about galway, i know one year they will do it, possibly this year, but honest to god now, we've been saying it since 2005, even longer.

I agree. Galway flatter to deceive every year, they look good in the league but once push comes to shove they seem to be lacking that something in the championship. Ollie Canning is gone this year and he's been the backbone of their team for the last number of years. Its hard to believe a team that loses a player of his calibre is going to better this year. They have young players coming through as usual but in my eyes there nothing more than dark horses (as with every year).
    My moneys on the cats again this year being honest. Hard to see them being beaten again, remember theyve only lost once in the championship in the last 5 years and there's nothing to suggest that they are on the slide. Guys like Richie Hogan coming through is only going to freshen things up more.
    Tipp will be under pressure to get to the same level they got to last year in my opinion. Obviously a new management team is in place and its a big ask to pick up from where the last crowd left off. Declan Fanning has retired and he was a very important player for them. Very underrated in my opinion. They will be there or thereabouts again but can they reach the heights of last September again? Big ask. Liam Sheedy took three years to get that performance out of them and obviously doesn't fancy the challenge again.
    From Waterford's point of view I think we can beat anyone when we put our minds to it.

I agree. Galway flatter to deceive every year, they look good in the league but once push comes to shove they seem to be lacking that something in the championship. Ollie Canning is gone this year and he's been the backbone of their team for the last number of years. Its hard to believe a team that loses a player of his calibre is going to better this year. They have young players coming through as usual but in my eyes there nothing more than dark horses (as with every year).
    My moneys on the cats again this year being honest. Hard to see them being beaten again, remember theyve only lost once in the championship in the last 5 years and there's nothing to suggest that they are on the slide. Guys like Richie Hogan coming through is only going to freshen things up more.
    Tipp will be under pressure to get to the same level they got to last year in my opinion. Obviously a new management team is in place and its a big ask to pick up from where the last crowd left off. Declan Fanning has retired and he was a very important player for them. Very underrated in my opinion. They will be there or thereabouts again but can they reach the heights of last September again? Big ask. Liam Sheedy took three years to get that performance out of them and obviously doesn't fancy the challenge again.
    From Waterford's point of view I think we can beat anyone when we put our minds to it.

Agree that Kilkenny are the team to beat this year. Tipp wont be far behind them but will start to get their act in order soon. They have played three competive games (2 league and 1 waterford crystal cup) under the new management and have not won any. If they are to have realistic chance of winning the All-Ireland again this year its important that they start winning. There is nothing like putting an unbeaten run together for confidence. I know it could be argued that in these games that they were missing a fair few of last years All-Ireland winning team but so are other teams up to now.

There is something not right in Galway. They can win Minor All-Irelands year in and year out or at least reach the final, but they are not bringing this talent through to the senior team, a bit like Limerick when they won the three under 21's in a row.

Waterford and Cork will be there or there abouts again in 2011 but i cant see them do better than Kilkenny or Tipp and to a lesser extent Galway. Maybe, (hopefully) i will be wrong in saying what i did just there about waterford and will be made eat my words.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,685 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Agree that Kilkenny are the team to beat this year. Tipp wont be far behind them but will start to get their act in order soon. They have played three competive games (2 league and 1 waterford crystal cup) under the new management and have not won any. If they are to have realistic chance of winning the All-Ireland again this year its important that they start winning. There is nothing like putting an unbeaten run together for confidence. I know it could be argued that in these games that they were missing a fair few of last years All-Ireland winning team but so are other teams up to now.

There is something not right in Galway. They can win Minor All-Irelands year in and year out or at least reach the final, but they are not bringing this talent through to the senior team, a bit like Limerick when they won the three under 21's in a row.

Waterford and Cork will be there or there abouts again in 2011 but i cant see them do better than Kilkenny or Tipp and to a lesser extent Galway. Maybe, (hopefully) i will be wrong in saying what i did just there about waterford and will be made eat my words.

KK are obviously going to be gunning for Liam but I do think Tipp will get their act together for the championship. Tip would be my tip;). Galway, well, no one really knows. On their day they could knock out KK or get beaten by a lesser team. Depending on provincial results and the draw Tip and kk in the final. 2 of Waterford, Cork and Galway should make up the semis with possibly dublin breaking the mould and causing an upset somewhere down the line. I'm expecting some classic games in Munster again with Leinster being a bot more interesting now dublin have 'arrived'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Looking forward to heading over to Thurles on Sat night although Im fearing a backlash from Tipp after their poor start. We've been a little unlucky in the league so far; Dublin with a point to prove after last year, wexford coming off the back of a hammering and now Tipp with a new manager bulling for his first win. So far the young lads have done well but they will be severely tested on Sat night.
    I havent seen a team named yet but am assuming it will be close to the one that played Wexford, good experience for the Fives and O Mahoneys and hopefully they can continue to make progress.

carter10 wrote: »
    Looking forward to heading over to Thurles on Sat night although Im fearing a backlash from Tipp after their poor start. We've been a little unlucky in the league so far; Dublin with a point to prove after last year, wexford coming off the back of a hammering and now Tipp with a new manager bulling for his first win. So far the young lads have done well but they will be severely tested on Sat night.
    I havent seen a team named yet but am assuming it will be close to the one that played Wexford, good experience for the Fives and O Mahoneys and hopefully they can continue to make progress.

Can never figure out why this is not done early in the week. The selectors obviously have the team picked and the players told and it has been forwarded to the printers to be included in the programme. A rule should be made that the team is named a certain time before the game is due to be played. I am not a rugby fan and dont know one end of a rugby ball from the other, but i have often heard the teams been named maybe the monday or tuesday before a game. If rugby can do it why cant the gaa. There's nothing to be got from delaying the naming of it. For example like in last years All-Ireland Semi Final it was delayed because Brian O'Halloran was in the team and the selectors did not want the papers getting hold of this for definate. a huge amount of Waterford supporters knew he was playing and so did the a huge amount of Tippm fans and the selectors will also have heard it.

Maybe the delay in naming the team to play Tipp is down to the number of injuries we supposedly have,but i agree it should be definately named more less the day before the game. Whatever happened to the days of A.N OTHER??
    The second string Team played Kilkenny wednesday night in Carriganore where there were some new faces getting a chance to impress the management team and it was great to see Tony Browne back playing, the man's a legend and probably same age as Davy Fitz and still going strong, their playing Clarinbridge in Tipp Town tomorrow before the League match not sure of a time yet..

In news released Weds it said John Mullane and Kevin Moran are injured. Also said Eoin Kelly and Tony Browne are easing their way back. John and Kevin were flying it there 2 weeks ago in Thurles, how are they injured, and does it mean EK and TB are also ruled out. If thats the case we certainly wont be getting anything out of this game, need another 2points to be sure not fighting regulation. Also can anyone tell me if the semi finals are back this year in the league.

In news released Weds it said John Mullane and Kevin Moran are injured. Also said Eoin Kelly and Tony Browne are easing their way back. John and Kevin were flying it there 2 weeks ago in Thurles, how are they injured, and does it mean EK and TB are also ruled out. If thats the case we certainly wont be getting anything out of this game, need another 2points to be sure not fighting regulation. Also can anyone tell me if the semi finals are back this year in the league.

Im not sure would the heads be right after that crushin defeat there only 2 weeks ago. Psychollogically very hard to get back into the right mind frame after that.

John Mullane and Kevin Moran are not injured,just given a well deserved break is all, there back training probably next week and Tony Browne was playing centre back wednesday night so he could be playing some part, as for Kelly i dont know how he's fixed tbh..

What better way to get the mind focused is a competitive match, 2 weeks of sitting around is plenty of time. I think they should be playing, we are a small county as it allready is, the smallest in Munster, along with 1/3 of the county taken over by the commeraghs and knockmedowns. We need our best players more than other hurling counties or we'll be getting beaten by 10+ points or more like pre 98.

What better way to get the mind focused is a competitive match, 2 weeks of sitting around is plenty of time. I think they should be playing, we are a small county as it allready is, the smallest in Munster, along with 1/3 of the county taken over by the commeraghs and knockmedowns. We need our best players more than other hurling counties or we'll be getting beaten by 10+ points or more like pre 98.

So because we have mountains in waterford John mullane and kevin Moran shud be playin all year round without a break.. Good man yourself haha

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

no one on the predictions thread has gone for waterford - 16/16 for tipperary so far

• Advertisement

Maybe the delay in naming the team to play Tipp is down to the number of injuries we supposedly have,but i agree it should be definately named more less the day before the game. Whatever happened to the days of A.N OTHER??
    The second string Team played Kilkenny wednesday night in Carriganore where there were some new faces getting a chance to impress the management team and it was great to see Tony Browne back playing, the man's a legend and probably same age as Davy Fitz and still going strong, their playing Clarinbridge in Tipp Town tomorrow before the League match not sure of a time yet..

As i say, the team would have been wanted for the programme before it is actually named in the media so why cant they name the team at the same time. I was a team secretary a few years back for one of the county teams and we had to have the team picked by the monday night, tuesday morning at the latest for a Saturday afternoon game. The reason was so that it could be with the printers for the programme which was often only a hand out. Maybe things have changed since and teams are given a little more grace when it comes to naming their team,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement