Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

alllcounty wrote: »
    No, its a very valid opinion. Too many gaa clubs in waterford sadly focus on the wrong sport. The likes of Kilmacthomas for example are more concerned with kicking a ball around instead of playing hurling. Who in waterford cares if waterford win, lose or draw playing gaelic football. No body goes to their matchs, and rightly so plus they are weaking the strength and depth of the hurling base in waterford. Clubs like Kilmac, Kilrossanty etc are an embarrsment to the county.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

6-7 years ago we had probably the worst football team in the county. Now we're a division 3 team, competing with some top, top counties and are edging closer to a first Munster final appearance in over 50 years. Just saying.

Still one of the worst teams in the country and always will be.

You want to kill every gaelic football team in the county. I think we all know who the embarrassment is.[/QUOTE]

Only fair, its a distraction from the main prize of bringing the Liam MacCarthy aross the suir for the first time since 1959. Time to forget about gaelic football. Kilkenny know it and you know it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Hope the hurlers win and the footballers lose. I cant see the point why we put out a football team, waterford haven't a hope in hell winning an all ireland playing galeic football. Waterford needs to focus on their strengths. It's time we give football the boot.

B_____ S_______. Thats like saying that after Arsenal beat Barscelona last night that Leyton Orient should not turn up to play Arsenal in the FA Cup on Sunday or Crawley Town should not show up to play Man UTd in the same competition on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Anyone know if the De La Salle game will be shown live on TG4, or even delayed coverage?

Who in waterford cares if waterford win, lose or draw playing gaelic football. No body goes to their matchs, and rightly so plus they are weaking the strength and depth of the hurling base in waterford.

Is that right. Why then did approx 2,000 people turn up for a league game with Clare in Fraher Field last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

No, its a very valid opinion. Too many gaa clubs in waterford sadly focus on the wrong sport. The likes of Kilmacthomas for example are more concerned with kicking a ball around instead of playing hurling. Who in waterford cares if waterford win, lose or draw playing gaelic football. No body goes to their matchs, and rightly so plus they are weaking the strength and depth of the hurling base in waterford. Clubs like Kilmac, Kilrossanty etc are an embarrsment to the county.

Ok jokes over allcounty... can we get back to the serious discussion and genuine opinions

Anyone know if the De La Salle game will be shown live on TG4, or even delayed coverage?

Both semi finals are on TG4 Live. WLR are also covering the game.

After wards there could well be two good games on Setanta as well, Dublin and Tipp (I think in hurling) and Dublin and Cork in Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

waterford haven't a hope in hell winning an all ireland playing galeic football. .

ha and you think they have a chance of winning an All Ireland playing hurling, do me a favour mate :rolleyes:

ha and you think they have a chance of winning an All Ireland playing hurling, do me a favour mate :rolleyes:

Based on recent years progress we are the 4th best team in Ireland when it comes to hurling behind Kilkenny (for obvious reasons, structures in the county are far superior than to Waterford), Galway and Tipperary. In football (dont know why we bother) we would be around 27th, and that's generous. So our chances of winning an all ireland is far greater playing hurling than trying to play gaelic football. Therefore based on the above, and i know alot of ye will agree with me, its time to forget about football in the county and focus on the one code, like our neighbours who have been so successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Allcounty!

Seriously, get a grip. If a guy wants to play football ... he can play football. If a guy wants to play hurling, he can play hurling & unfortunatly if he wants to post nonsence on boards.ie he can do that.

Waterford footballers have made great progress in the last few years and any GENUINE GAA person is 100% behind them, winning promotion to Div 3 is their equivalent to winning a Munster title ... & hopefully it can be built on.

Why doesn´t the Irish soccer team give up? We are never going to win the World Cup?

Have you ever played Hurling or football? You know it´s possible to enjoy playing both & be good at playing both!

P.S. I think the DeLaSalle match throws in at 3:45 not 3:30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Based on recent years progress we are the 4th best team in Ireland when it comes to hurling behind Kilkenny (for obvious reasons, structures in the county are far superior than to Waterford), Galway and Tipperary. In football (dont know why we bother) we would be around 27th, and that's generous. So our chances of winning an all ireland is far greater playing hurling than trying to play gaelic football. Therefore based on the above, and i know alot of ye will agree with me, its time to forget about football in the county and focus on the one code, like our neighbours who have been so successful.

If you had your way we'd have packed in the hurling in 1993 when Kerry beat us in Walsh Park. There didn't seem much chance of an all Ireland then in hurling did there?

flahavaj wrote: »
    If you had your way we'd have packed in the hurling in 1993 when Kerry beat us in Walsh Park. There didn't seem much chance of an all Ireland then in hurling did there?

Forget Kerry in 93, what about loosing to the likes of MAYO in the league in the years before this. Maybe we should have burned the hurleys then and given the Sliotars to our neighbours in Cork, Tipperary and Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

and?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Forget Kerry in 93, what about loosing to the likes of MAYO in the league in the years before this. Maybe we should have burned the hurleys then and given the Sliotars to our neighbours in Cork, Tipperary and Kilkenny.

Pretty sure it was Roscommon in Athleague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

Wow! The last day's comments have been absoloutly pathetic!

For someone to say scrap football is madness. In 2003 we beat a Kerry under 21 team to lift a Munster title. A remarkable achievement. Sadly for us football enthusiasts the two dominant players on this team Brick and Shane Walsh were weaned onto the hurling panel. This led to a major decline in the potential promised to be brought to the senior level.

Another point is the huge success of Stradbally, The Nire, Ballinacourty and previously Rathgormack in the Munster championship since the late 90s. Stradbally, The Nire and Ballinacourty all reached Munster finals in the last decade. Also Rathgormack i think in the late 90s were the first club to make the breakthrough, they played out a draw with Laune Rangers the AI champions at the time and were very unlucky not to have progressed. So clearly club football is very strong. Correct me if i'm wrong about Rathgormack i'm only guessing it was late 90s could have been early 2000s for all I know.

Also, from the Waterford hurling panel there is numerous players who would be good enough for the football panel. Clinton Hennesey, Liam Lawlor, Brick Walsh, Shane Walsh, both Prendergasts, Richie Foley, Brian O'Halloran, Eamon Murphy are examples of top class footballers who chose to apply themselves towards hurling instead of the big ball game. So before people judge the quality of player in the county, consider this, we are picking from a limited bunch.

But what sickens me most is for someone to say we should just forget about football and concentrate on the hurling. I guarantee you Brick and co. would love to be playing in Croker with the footballers if the oppurtunity arose on an annual basis, sadly that is not the case.

We are not a hurling county. We are not a football county. We are a GAA county and it is only decency to respect both codes. I myself love both hurling and football equally and attend as many games as humanly possible. Why not all rally behind both teams and get the best from both!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

cornerboy wrote: »

You'll be glad (!) to hear you're both right. We lost to Roscommon in the 1984/5 League in Athleague and to Mayo in the 1985/6 League in Dungarvan. I seem to recall we were 2-6 to 0-0 down at half-time in the Mayo game. Never forget - we live in a golden age!

We are not a hurling county. We are not a football county. We are a GAA county and it is only decency to respect both codes. I myself love both hurling and football equally and attend as many games as humanly possible. Why not all rally behind both teams and get the best from both![/QUOTE]

Unfortunally not possible to get the best from both in the county. The backward thinking county board in Waterford prevents GAA clubs in the East and West of the county from playing each other at under 21 and Intermediate levels for both codes. Standards at these levels are poor. Therefore to maximise the sucess of Waterford it is in the best interests of the county if all GAA clubs focus one one sport instead of trying to be average at both like Wexford. Allthough we are a good bit above average at hurling. We are not the finished article at this sport and the long awaited breakthrough will not materialise if we do not have all clubs singing from the same hym sheet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

<snip>

If you don´t like the way the intermediate championship is run ... join a club ... propose a motion to change it ... that´s how it works!

cornerboy wrote: »

You could be right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

That is the most outrageous thing i ever heard!! And why you having a dig at Kilmac and Kilrossanty?

• Advertisement

johnfarmer wrote: »
    Wow! The last day's comments have been absoloutly pathetic!

For someone to say scrap football is madness. In 2003 we beat a Kerry under 21 team to lift a Munster title. A remarkable achievement. Sadly for us football enthusiasts the two dominant players on this team Brick and Shane Walsh were weaned onto the hurling panel. This led to a major decline in the potential promised to be brought to the senior level.

Another point is the huge success of Stradbally, The Nire, Ballinacourty and previously Rathgormack in the Munster championship since the late 90s. Stradbally, The Nire and Ballinacourty all reached Munster finals in the last decade. Also Rathgormack i think in the late 90s were the first club to make the breakthrough, they played out a draw with Laune Rangers the AI champions at the time and were very unlucky not to have progressed. So clearly club football is very strong. Correct me if i'm wrong about Rathgormack i'm only guessing it was late 90s could have been early 2000s for all I know.

Also, from the Waterford hurling panel there is numerous players who would be good enough for the football panel. Clinton Hennesey, Liam Lawlor, Brick Walsh, Shane Walsh, both Prendergasts, Richie Foley, Brian O'Halloran, Eamon Murphy are examples of top class footballers who chose to apply themselves towards hurling instead of the big ball game. So before people judge the quality of player in the county, consider this, we are picking from a limited bunch.

But what sickens me most is for someone to say we should just forget about football and concentrate on the hurling. I guarantee you Brick and co. would love to be playing in Croker with the footballers if the oppurtunity arose on an annual basis, sadly that is not the case.

We are not a hurling county. We are not a football county. We are a GAA county and it is only decency to respect both codes. I myself love both hurling and football equally and attend as many games as humanly possible. Why not all rally behind both teams and get the best from both!

The fact that out clubs teams as you have pointed out have done so well (without winning it YET) in Munster shows that there is nothing wrong with football in Waterford. As you say we are playing minus the services of a number of players that would greatly strengthen the team. This is something that happens not only in the Senior grade but down through the different teams and it is not a recent thing either. If Waterford was able to put its best available team (IE players were not been told or asked to pick between hurling and football, or you are gone off the hurling panel) we would be able to pick a team that would match most others. In saying that i am not saying we would won an All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Looks like we have a Troll in here

comeraghs wrote: »
    <snip>!

If you don´t like the way the intermediate championship is run ... join a club ... propose a motion to change it ... that´s how it works!

This was done and was rejected at the back end of 2009. Hopefully the idea will get another hearing, a fair one, where the clubs will be the ones that will decide if we should have all county or not. It has helped improve standards at under age level. There is no reason why it cant work if given a chance at Adult level. It would be no good to give it say a year or two trial. It would need at minimum a 3 to 5 year trial and see from there.

allcounty, how do you explain Offaly - a smaller county than Waterford - winning three football and four hurling All-Irelands between 1970 and 1998? I'd settle for either record but there's nothing to suggest they'd have been more successful in one if they had ignored the other

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

If you have a problem with a member or their posts, please use the Report Post Function

Clareman wrote: »
    Folks,

If you have a problem with a member or their posts, please use the Report Post Function

I want to complain, there's some Clare clown stinking up our thread. Remember '98!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone know the team against Wexford yet?
    Or whats the story with Maurice, is he back now for this or still suspended?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck DLS

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Great start for DLS, 0-4 to 0-0 after 10 mins...hopefully they can keep it up. Dillon looks good, Mullane getting on a lot of ball, has one score on the board but is schlipping and shliding around a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Clarinbridge right back into it now. Mullane shudda buried that, he's been a bit quiet otherwise tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement