Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

0-7 to 0-6 to us, coming into it well, Eamon Murphy doing very well, as isS. Prender, Crotty and Pauric Mahony

0-9 to 0-6 to Waterfrod at HT.

0-16 to 0-9, should have this in the bag

0-21 to 0-16 game over, retained the Crystal cup well done lads, good start to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

johnfarmer wrote: »
    Tourin are a junior club. They are joined with Glenn Rovers to form an intermediate club. He won't improve himself marking average center forwards. Although I believe he plays wing forward for the club.

Something I'd like to see is having divisional teams made up of junior and intermediate clubs like what you'd see in Cork.

From a county perspective it allows more hurlers experience senior club action. Not only would the individual players benefit, the senior champ would have a couple of extra handy teams in it.

I have a lot of sympathy for a good young player who has a very mediocre club to play with. This would also possibly end many club transfer requests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Cake Man wrote: »
    Another poor start from us it seems. O' Halloran off injured

Who came on for O' Halloran?

And when Ken came on anyone know what position he went into?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭deisedude

deise_girl wrote: »
    Who came on for O' Halloran?

And when Ken came on anyone know what position he went into?

Eamon Murphy and played well by the sounds of it. Conor Lehane and Cian McCarthy look great prospects for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Solid performance by Waterford. Molumphy, Casey, 12 and 22 were best for ye, but Lehane was the standout player on the pitch imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

hardybuck wrote: »
    Something I'd like to see is having divisional teams made up of junior and intermediate clubs like what you'd see in Cork.

From a county perspective it allows more hurlers experience senior club action. Not only would the individual players benefit, the senior champ would have a couple of extra handy teams in it.

I have a lot of sympathy for a good young player who has a very mediocre club to play with. This would also possibly end many club transfer requests.

That's all well and good in a county like Cork where there are hundreds of clubs. But it is not as simple as that in Waterford. Far too much pride would be at stake. IMO it doesn't even work at underage level.

Although never tested at senior hurling level of recent times, it was tested in football with the formation of St.Brendans (Bunmahon, Kill, Newtown). This failed miserably as they couldn't even get them to train. GAA is all about pride in the jersey and that same passion simply wouldn't be there with an emalgimated club, especially when rival clubs combine.

So maybe a revamped senior and hurling championship where we would have 14-16 teams rather than the 12. This would give lesser clubs the taste of the big time and as well as that it would encourage the development of younger talent leaving them taste senior action themselves with the possibility of relegation being eliminated for a season to up the number of teams in the new 14 team championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yes, but if De La Salle were thumping teams in the county quarter and semi finals by 20 odd point, could you imagine the damage they'd inflict to a team who would be normally intermediate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

Tourin are a junior club. They are joined with Glenn Rovers to form an intermediate club. He won't improve himself marking average center forwards. Although I believe he plays wing forward for the club.

Eamon Murphy will NEVER play senior championship for Waterford mark my words. Just too small for the modern game.

shut up ya dope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford cruised to a relatively comfortable victory against a game, skillful but inexperienced Cork 15 in the final of the Waterford Crystal tournament at Páirc Uí Rinn today. Although the pitch was in reasonably good nick given the heavy rain of the previous 24 hours, the game was played in dreadful conditions with a strong wind blowing incessant rain from the city end throughout.
    As in their previous games in the tournament, Cork fielded an entire team with little previous senior experience, while Waterford had seven established seniors in their starting line-up. This was to prove decisive, as the Waterford seniors made up most of the dominant players on view.
    Playing with the wind, Cork started brightly with the first two points, and although Waterford quickly got back on level terms, Cork opened up a two-point gap again and were finding it easier to hit the target with wind assistance. However, Waterford then essentially took over around midfield and while, with wind assistance, Cork were still able to send long balls from distance into the Waterford goal area, they were unable to make much impression on the Waterford rearguard and only managed two more points before halftime. They did have a lot of wides, although Waterford also had their share, including three missed frees by Richie Foley.
    Nevertheless, Waterford went in at half time leading 0-9 to 0-6, and in effect the game was as good as over. Cork did start the second half brightly, notching three quick points to level the scores, but Waterford then took over again and with a stream of scores (most of them frees by the now impeccable Foley) opened up a six point lead. Waterford then appeared to relax somewhat (although it may have been fatigue in the gruelling conditions) while Cork raised their game in a bid to retrieve the situation. However, while they put together some nice passing movements out the field, their attacks generally were repulsed when they came near the Waterford goal area, and Waterford weathered the storm to come out victors of the Waterford Crystal trophy for the second year in a row, 0-21 to 0-16.
    Waterford’s man of the match was Stephen Molumphy, who dominated the midfield area virtually from start to finish with his ability to win dirty ball and drive at the Cork defence. His most able assistants were Shane O’Sullivan (who moved from wing back to midfield early on after the unfortunate Brian O’Halloran had to leave the field through injury), Richie Foley (who amassed ten points in all, eight from frees), Seamus Prendergast up front (who got little protection from the referee despite being regularly fouled by a fullback who had little alternative option), and Brick Walsh at centre back.
    The star of the show for Cork was left half forward Conor Lehane who notched seven points from play. In fact he could have had two more but late in the game he tried a couple of Paul Flynn-style dipping shots from around 30 yards which failed to beat Waterford keeper Clinton Hennessy. Unfortunately for Cork the only other member of their starting forwards to score from play was centre forward Bill Cooper who notched two points. Cian McCarthy also scored twice from play after replacing Brian Lawton late in the first half. Cork’s only other scorers from play were wing backs Ray Ryan and Christopher Joyce.
    By contrast, all of the reshuffled Waterford forward line (following Brian O’Halloran’s early departure) scored from play, as did midfielder Shane O’Sullivan and wing back Christy Ryan. Richie Foley amassed a total of ten points, two of them from play.
    Looking in more detail at the Waterford team, goalkeeper Clinton Hennessy deal very competently with all ball that came his way, but was never called upon to make a direct save from a close-in shot. However, one wonders what he was at hitting short puckouts (a couple of which went astray) in the second half when he had the strong wind behind him. Jerome Maher had a very solid game at full back against a much bigger, but cumbersome-looking opponent (Eoin Murphy). Jamie Nagle played the whole game at left corner back and did quite well, while in the other corner Darragh Fives again impressed with his excellent first touch and skill – he is definitely one for the future, especially when he fills out.
    Seamus Hannon played most of the game at wing back having replaced O’Halloran. He played a lot of ball and generally used it quite well, but with his size and lack of pace was probably not the best person to mark the speedy, skillful and elusive Conor Lehane. Brick Walsh had a typically busy day, repeatedly winning possession and bringing the ball out for distribution to better-placed colleagues. Christy Ryan at left half back had a mixed game, doing some very good things but also being caught out a few times. He doesn’t strike me as being a player of genuine intercounty standard.
    At midfield, Stephen Molumphy and Shane O’Sullivan ruled the roost for most of the game with Molumphy in particular showing real leadership and drive. Gavin Crotty did some good work in the first half and landed a good point, but seemed to drift out of the game after half time. Apart from his freetaking, Richie Foley had a very busy game, foraging around the field and providing good support to team mates. Paudie Mahony got a fair bit of possession but tended not to use it very well, and his style of play is a bit one-dimensional.
    The Waterford full forward line caused the Cork inside line all sorts of problems and in better conditions could have done serious damage. Seamus Prendergast put in another good stint at the edge of the square, scoring three points and bringing one excellent point-blank save from Cork keeper Martin Coleman. Shane Casey in the right corner scored two points and also brought a good save from Coleman. In the other corner Eamon Murphy also scored two points and despite his small stature, constantly caused problems with his pace, skill and ability to tackle opponents.
    There was a surprise appearance by Ken McGrath who entered the fray with twelve minutes to go in place of Christy Ryan. He took up the centre forward position with Richie Foley going to midfield and Shane O’Sullivan to wing back. However, not surprisingly, Ken looked like someone who had done very little hurling and his touch was way off. Eoin Kelly also made a late appearance as did John Prendergast in what was his debut for Waterford at senior competitive level. Prendergast, who played at midfield for the Waterford minors last year and had a very impressive club championship at left half back for Lismore, is a big strong lad with definite potential.
    Adrian Power was listed as Waterford’s sub goalie, although Darren Duggan of Dungarvan was also listed on the programme.
    Waterford: Clinton Hennessy, Darragh Fives, Jerome Maher, Jamie Nagle, Shane O’Sullivan (0-1), Michael Walsh, Christy Ryan (0-1), Stephen Molumphy, Richie Foley (0-10, 0-8 from frees), Gavin Crotty (0-1), Brian O’Halloran, Paudie Mahony (0-1), Shane Casey (0-2), Seamus Prendergast (0-3), Eamon Murphy (0-2). Substitutes: Seamus Hannon, Ken McGrath, Eoin Kelly, John Prendergast. Other substitutes listed in programme: Adrian Power, Martin O’Neill, Frank McGrath, Darren Duggan.
    Cork: Martin Coleman, Paul O’Leary, Cian Fogarty, Shane Murphy, Christopher Joyce (0-1), Mark Ellis, Ray Ryan (0-1), Graham Callinan, Brian Lawton, Thomas Murray, Bill Cooper (0-2), Conor Lehane (0-7), Jamie Coughlan, Eoin Murphy (0-1, free), Brian Hartnett. Substitutes listed in programme: Anthony Nash, Gavin Moylan, Patrick O’Mahony, Cian McCarthy (0-3, one free), Seamus Harnedy, Luke O’Farrell, Michael Cussen, Jamie Wall, Barry Johnson.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Eoin Kelly also made a late appearance as did John Prendergast in what was his debut for Waterford at senior competitive level. Prendergast, who played at midfield for the Waterford minors last year and had a very impressive club championship at left half back for Lismore, is a big strong lad with definite potential.

It was Paidi Prenderast who played at midfield for the Waterford minors last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deiseash

Anybody very surprised that johnfarmer left Richie Foley out of his championship starting 15?? And at the fact that he wasn't even mentioned in the few sentences afterwards!?!

Definitely will be starting in my opinion, a fine hurler that gets better with every outing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Is it top two from each group go through? If so then that's good news as you would expect LIT to beat UCD by 3 pts or more. Yeah it would be a shame for WIT not to be involved in a "home" final.

Is Brick playing with UL? G'wan the Brick boy!

Thats definetly not Brick Walsh he's workin in the bank... Plus that hes been playing for Waterford how could he play for UL in the same competition?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Eamon Murphy will NEVER play senior championship for Waterford mark my words. Just too small for the modern game.

How wrong can you be. Tourin are and intermediate club. Glen Rovers/Melleray did assist then in hurling for the last few years, but not this year.

Glen Rovers have their own team this year and will play in the second string intermediate and junior teams competition.

deiseash wrote: »
    Anybody very surprised that johnfarmer left Richie Foley out of his championship starting 15?? And at the fact that he wasn't even mentioned in the few sentences afterwards!?!

Definitely will be starting in my opinion, a fine hurler that gets better with every outing!

He just hasn't got the talent of the other 6 forwards. And isn't enough of an aerial threat. Davy built the team around him during the Crystal Cup he scored no more than 4 or 5 points from play. If frees are what he thrives on then Maurice and Kelly are much more reliable. Am I the only one that is expecting great things from Philip Mahony in 2011???

Thats definetly not Brick Walsh he's workin in the bank... Plus that hes been playing for Waterford how could he play for UL in the same competition?

I never even thought of that!
    He just hasn't got the talent of the other 6 forwards. And isn't enough of an aerial threat. Davy built the team around him during the Crystal Cup he scored no more than 4 or 5 points from play. If frees are what he thrives on then Maurice and Kelly are much more reliable. Am I the only one that is expecting great things from Philip Mahony in 2011???

Not sure about Kelly being reliable at the frees, he was shocking at them last year. One thing Davy has to do IMO is pick someone to hit frees/65's, be it Maurice, Foley, Seamus Prender etc. Kelly just too inconsistent, I'd be more inclined to give them to someone else.
    Looking forward to seeing if Mahony will get in a stake a place, he'll surely get a few league outings so it'll be up to him to hang onto the jersey for championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Go back to bed boy, most stupid statement I have ever heard on this thread

I never even thought of that!

Not sure about Kelly being reliable at the frees, he was shocking at them last year. One thing Davy has to do IMO is pick someone to hit frees/65's, be it Maurice, Foley, Seamus Prender etc. Kelly just too inconsistent, I'd be more inclined to give them to someone else.
    Looking forward to seeing if Mahony will get in a stake a place, he'll surely get a few league outings so it'll be up to him to hang onto the jersey for championship.

Don't think Foley will be freetaker for the championship I think Davy was trying out new things and giving lads a chance to do something different which he is entitled to do in the Crystal. Kelly didnt have a great year last year bar the Munster final drawn game but I think he along with Mullane are our most influential forwards and I think he'll be spear heading the attack with the frees again this year. If Maurice Shanahan is our best free taker he has to concentrate on getting into the starting 15 first. He needs to do the business from play first theres plenty free takers around so he's not going to be there just for the frees.
    On Mahony, Id question whether hes quite ready for this level yet. Give him a run in the league and see how he fares but the jury is till out on him as far as Im concerned. Ive heard a lot about him but anytime Ive seen him play I cant quite see what the fuss is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

On fade street last night I saw a fella from Waterford who said he was stuck with Waterford footballers. Whats his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We need to win at least 1 of our next 2 games if we want to survive div 1 this year IMO but these games are not going to be easy. We have a lot of injury worries going into these games. I think that offaly will be the weakest team in Divison 1 this year. Would love to beat some of the stronger teams in the league this year the kilkennys, galways, tipperarys and cork.

Its hard to believe its that time of year again sadly im going to the rugby so cant go to walsh park on sunday.

Ur thoughts on the game ??

I think we should be ok tbh, I'd be hopefull of beating one of Dublin or Wexford in our opening two games, if not win them both. That would set us up nicely going into the bigger games knowing Div.1 status is secured. Would be great to get one over on KK, Tipp or Galway and give us a confidence booster. Again it'd be great to go on a good run in the league, we tend to do well in championship when we go on a good league run.

I'd be confident we'll beat Dublin on Sunday, just think we'll have enough quality on the field in Brick, Molumph, Clinton, Sully, Foley et al along with the few youngsters that will be eager to make an impression that will see us over the line by 3 or 4 points.
    In Cork for the weekend myself so I'm sickened I'll miss Sunday too especially considering we've only 3 home games in the league. :( Will have to wait for the following week for a trip to Wexford Park.

I agree with John Farmer about Philip Mahony’s potential. I think he stepped up to senior rank with his display in last year’s Munster club final (even though Ballygunner lost). I thought last year he might step into Tony Browne’s shoes, but apparently he decided to drop out for a year – or was he injured?

BTW JF, sorry for mixing John and Paudie Prendergast up. Would you know who are their respective fathers?

I don’t know what you have against Richie Foley. He was one of Waterford’s best players throughout last year. He is very skillful, mobile and a great striker of the ball. Anyone who watched him come up from underage would know that he is a superb long distance free taker and should take all the Waterford frees from outside 45 metres. However, I don’t see him as a close-in freetaker – different technique required.

I’m surprised at the tone of some of the posters here about Waterford’s league prospects – hoping we might win a game or two against the weaker counties. Waterford are a top four team and even with injuries should have no fears against anyone else. They came very close to making the league final last year.

Cake Man says we tend to do well in the championship when we have a good league run. In fact we do well in the championship whether we have a good league run or not – Waterford have reached the All-Ireland semi-final in each of the last five years and seven times in the last nine years.

Will Waterford be able to call on the college players for the start of the league?

Looking further ahead, in the absence of injuries this is the team I would like to see playing in the championship: Stephen O’Keeffe, Aidan Kearney, Shane Fives, Noel Connors, Philip Mahony, Kevin Moran, Stephen Daniels, Shane O’Sullivan, Richie Foley, Maurice Shanahan, Brick Walsh, Stephen Molumphy, John Mullane, Eoin Kelly, Brian O’Halloran.

I would go for Stephen O’Keeffe for his shot-stopping ability. Shane Fives was voted the best full back in last year’s Fitzgibbon Cup competition and was very good in the position for the Waterford Under 21s the year before. Mahony and Daniels have super potential. Kevin Moran has been excellent for DLS at centre back which would release Brick for centre forward where we need his ball winning ability, work rate and ability to carry the ball. I would envisage Stephen Molumphy making up a 3-man midfield. This would give Brian O’Halloran loads of space to use his pace on the left wing.

This leaves us with the following likely subs: Clinton Hennessy, Adrian Power, Eoin Murphy, Jerome Maher, Liam Lawlor, Mark O’Brien, Tony Browne, Jamie Nagle, Declan and Seamus Prendergast, Darragh Fives, Ken and Eoin McGrath, Shane Walsh, Shane Casey (who have I left out?). Someone said to me last year that Waterford now have such depth in their panel that their second team would beat most senior teams in the country. Looking at the above lists there certainly is something in what he said. It makes a difference from the Justin McCarthy days when there were some players on the panel who could hardly hold a hurley the right way.

What do people think?

Id agree with what was said above that if we go out and work hard every week we should comfortably hold our division one status. Dublin are a potential bannana skin in our first outing I think they could be a surprise package this year, so theres no room for complacency. Wexford away the following week we should really be looking to win as they look to be the weakest team in the group along with Offaly. We need a big scalp aswell to guarantee survival. We have an horrendous league record against Galway I cant remember the last time we beat them in the league so Id like to see us get a result against them this year.
    It is important that we get the balance right in this league campaign between youth and experience. To give the young lads a run out is hugely beneficial to keep things fresh and keep healthy competition for places. It is imperative however that we hold division one status as relegation to division 2 could have a detrimental effect on hurling in the vounty. Clare, Wexford and Limerick have all shown the negative effects of division 2 hurling in the last couple years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Giveitfong wrote: »
    What do people think?

I like your confidence and the reasoning behind it - especially the second panel bit. It all augurs well for the season. Up the Déise!!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Id be against having Molumphy lining out as a forward this year tbh
    I know he always drifts back to play as a third mid fielder but last year was a poor year for him, he didnt play up to his usual high standard and I think its because he needs to be properly in the centre of the field, and roaming with purpose not hanging between his half forward and midfield position.
    Last Saturday apparently he had a superb game, against an inexperience Cork side yes, but he played better there than he was as the third man.

Also when we pull him back straight away we're playing with 5 forwards against 6 backs, so we're at a disadvantage straight away and since its mainly just Mullane and plus 2 that score for us at the moment I dont think we're really helping ourselves any bit..

Bring on Sunday lads, been waiting for it since last year!! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deise_girl wrote: »
    Id be against having Molumphy lining out as a forward this year tbh
    I know he always drifts back to play as a third mid fielder but last year was a poor year for him, he didnt play up to his usual high standard and I think its because he needs to be properly in the centre of the field, and roaming with purpose not hanging between his half forward and midfield position.
    Last Saturday apparently he had a superb game, against an inexperience Cork side yes, but he played better there than he was as the third man.

Also when we pull him back straight away we're playing with 5 forwards against 6 backs, so we're at a disadvantage straight away and since its mainly just Mullane and plus 2 that score for us at the moment I dont think we're really helping ourselves any bit..

Bring on Sunday lads, been waiting for it since last year!! :P

Agree with you. The selectors have to place the players in their best positions if we are to have success and to play six back and six forwards and leave others to do what they want. You will never win anything trying to play teams at their own games. Would Tipp have destroyed Waterford last year if they tried to beat Waterford at their own game, ie getting their backs to follow the Waterford forwards out the field, i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

Unlikely that Gary and Lionain will play this year.

• Advertisement

Waterford team to play Dublin in the National Hurling League in Walsh Park on Sunday: C Hennessy. D Fives, J Maher, N Connors. S Fives, M Walsh, J Nagle. S O’Sullivan, P Mahony. S Molumphy, R Foley, P Mahony. S Casey, S Prendergast, T Ryan.

As good a lineout as could be expected given the present spate of injuries etc. Several colleges players back on board. I would be concerned that Dublin would put Conal Keaney in full forward where he would have a big height advantage over Jerome Maher who isn't a ball winner in the area anyway. The obvious solution in that case would be to put Shane Fives back, move Maher to the corner and bring Darragh Fives out to what is his more natural position of half back anyway.

Great to see Philip Mahony making his debut. He is playing at midfield for UCC at the moment so that should be no problem for him, although I would think that half back is his best position anyway. If things aren't going well he could switch with Jamie Nagle who has lots of midfield experience.

I don't see Tomás Ryan as a long-term option but would be only too delighted for him to prove me wrong. The conditions on Sunday won't suit him. At least he is being given a decent chance to show what he can do, as is Shane Casey who I think is a better prospect, better able to deal with different kinds of situations.

I'd expect to see Ken McGrath and Eoin Kelly making an appearance at some stage.

I'm looking forward to this - has a touch of spring about it and a good diversion from the depressing election campaign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement