Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Holders Waterford had to work hard to overcome a strong challenge from Cork Institute of Technology in the quarter final of the Waterford Crystal tournament at a dry but bitterly cold Walsh Park today. Despite being reportedly injured, Liam Lawlor lined out at full back with the recently married Brick Walsh at centre back (neither were listed to play in the match programme).

Assisted by a stiffish wind which blew diagonally across the field in the direction of the city goal, CIT dominated the first half against a rusty and rather listless home side. CIT were well drilled, played some slick hurling, put some good moves together and once they figured out the tricky wind began to put the scores on the board. Waterford did create some chances but shooting into the wind, their radar was way off. At half time CIT led by 0-9 to 0-3, Waterford's scores coming from frees by Maurice Shanahan and Richie Foley and a good score from a difficult angle by Seamus Prendergast.

Waterford upped the tempo of their game in the second half, driven on by Stephen Molumphy and Richie Foley at midfield, and with the wind now helping out, they dominated matters after the change of ends. Apart from his good performance in general play, Foley gave an exhibition of long distance freetaking while his well-taken goal from a 20-metre free ten minutes into the half really set Waterford on their way. Their cause wasn't helped when Maurice Shanahan was red-carded with 15 minutes to go for what appeared to be a loose pull in a midfield schemozzle. However, they continued to dominate and should have won by more but hit a lot of wides in the closing stages.

Waterford scorers: Richie Foley (1-8, one point from play), Maurice Shanahan (one free), Gavin Crotty, Seamus Prendergast and Brian O'Halloran (0-1 each).

Waterford starting line-out: Clinton Hennessy; Jerome Maher; Liam Lawlor; Christy Ryan; Darragh Fives; Brick Walsh; Jamie Nagle; Stephen Molumphy; Richie Foley; Brian O'Halloran; Seamus Prendergast; Maurice Shanahan; Gavin Crotty; Shane Walsh; Shane Casey. Subs: Frank McGrath for C Ryan; Paudie Mahoney for Crotty; Eamonn Murphy for Casey.

The most impressive of Waterford's new players was Darragh Fives. Playing at right half back in the first half he cleared a lot of ball, showing good stickwork and vision, and also intervened well on a couple of occasions in defence. Moved back to the left corner in the second half he wasn't as prominent, but still impressed with his tackling, hooking and blocking.

Christy Ryan, who played the first half at left full back, only seemed to be getting into the game when he was replaced at half time by Frank McGrath of Roanmore who went to right half back. While he cleared a couple of balls, he looked like he needed a few more games to get up the pace of this level. Gavin Crotty of Dungarvan showed a couple of good touches early on and scored a nice point just after half time but he also found it hard to get into the game and was replaced by Paudie Mahoney who played some good ball when he came on.

Brian O'Halloran frequently threatened with his blinding pace and good touch, but ultimately achieved little enough, although his attitude was very good. Maurice Shanahan got little enough possession but when he did he earned several frees by running at the CIT defence. Apart from one shot early in the second half which brought a good save from the CIT keeper, Shane Casey made little impression and was replaced late on by Eamonn Murphy of Dunhill, a member of last year's county minor team.

Stephen Daniels was listed to play for CIT but didn't. They did have Shane Kearney of Dungarvan (a member of the Waterford 2010 under-21 team) at right corner back where he did okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

comeraghs wrote: »
    Any particular reason Tom why the Hurling is run with 2 groups of 6 & the football with three groups of four!

Well its pure discrimination against the footballers..to win the county the hurlers get to play 8 games whereas the footballers only get to play 5.

The reason the footballers dont get the same is because the county board would have to try fit in the extra games which the footballers who are committed and train as hard as the hurlers are crying out for.

It should be the same for both competions but i'd say if the county board had there way they would like to decide the football with a game of rock, paper, sissors!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Ermm just a few things from the day..
    Why was Davy in the stand for some of the game? :confused:
    Was there some kind of plan that Richie Foley had to have a great game today or something? I know that sounds odd but it seemed for a while every pass had to include him some how and people were constantly shouting "Richie, Richie" even when he was at the other side of the pitch.
    Also he was totally wired up today, I know no player takes pushing around but he was going out of his way to shoulder fellas and the language outta him was unreal! :P
    Maurice was having a bad day iswell.. I know he made one or two runs but he wasnt really going anywhere, missed a two frees iswell I think? He was all hot and bothered too though, up in everyones face the whole time and in the middle of any "schmozzle".. Didnt he get a yellow card before the red card iswell? Or was it just his name taken? He was being kinda stupid out there, hopefully his suspension will make him learn from it..
    I thought Darragh Fives was pretty good but in the first half he didnt seem to be marking anyone, so that helped, he seemed good though.
    Lawlor isnt fully fit either, I was watching him he was limping every few strides when he sprinted and there in the first half at one stage I thought he was gone, but he seemed to run it off..
    And errm O' Halloran is still just too light tbh, he was pushed about abit and at one stage I saw him almost lifted up by a CIT guy..

I know I sound kinda harsh on them there, just picking out a few things I noticed, obviously they are going to be kinda rusty and it isnt the first team etc..
    Anyone know anything about Aiden Kearney? I know he was having an operation last year but still no sign this year? Or what about James Murray?

Also forgot to say Eoin Kelly was standing behind me there today..Buggy in one hand fag in another.. He ran into the dressing room at half time whatever that was about.
    That turned out way longer than I intended!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

If any kind soul has a programme could they possibly put up the C.I.T. team, clubs included?

Ermm I can give you the team but I cant tell you which actually lined out... But shur here anywayy
    1) Tommy Quaid - Effin, Limerick
    2) Shane Kearney - Dungarvan, Waterford
    3) John O' Callaghan - Inniscarra, Cork
    4) Brendan Weathers - Banteer, Cork
    5) Brian O' Sullivan - Fermoy, Cork
    6) Ross Cashman - Kilbrittan, Cork
    7) Stephen Daniels - De La Salle, Waterford (Defo didnt play...)
    8) Nicky Kelly - Mayfield, Cork
    9) Padraig Gould - Na Piarsaigh, Cork
    10) Eoin Cronin - Glen Rovers, Cork
    11) Colm Casey - Inniscarra, Cork
    12) Michael O Sullivan - Tracton, Cork
    13) Simon O' Brien - Carrigaline, Cork
    14) Ryan Clifford - Newtownshandrum, Cork
    15) Stephen Corcoran - Carrigaline, Cork
    16) Kevin Roche - Banteer, Cork
    17) Eoin Dillon - Milford, Cork
    18) Jack Herlihy - Newtownshandrum, Cork
    19) Stephen McDonald - Glen Rovers, Cork
    20) Craig Leahy - Sarsfields, Cork
    21) Stephen White - Ballygarvan, Cork
    22) Lorcan McLoughlin - Kanturk, Cork
    23) Michael Bowles - Newtownshandrum, Cork
    24) Tony Murphy - Carrigaline, Cork
    25) Patrick O' Connor - Tubber, Clare
    26) Colin Fennelly - Ballyhale Shamrocks, Kilkenny
    27) Michael O' Neill - Bishopstown, Cork

So I guess not many people outside Cork go to CIT..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Orizio wrote: »
    If any kind soul has a programme could they possibly put up the C.I.T. team, clubs included?

As in the programme: 1 Tommy Quaid Effin 2 Shane Kearney Dungarvan 3 John O'Callaghan Inniscarra 4 Brendan Weathers Banteer 5 Brian O'Sullivan Fermoy 6 Ross Cashman Kilbrittain 7 Stephen Daniels De La Salle 8 Nicky Kelly Mayfield 9 Padraig Gould Na Piarsaigh 10 Eoin Cronin Glen Rovers 11 Colm Casey Inniscarra 12 Michael O'Sullivan Tracton 13 Simon O'Brien Carrigaline 14 Ryan Clifford Newtownshandrum 15 Stephen Corcoran Carrigaline 16 Kevin Roche Banteer 17 Eoin Dillon Milford 18 Jack Herlihy 19 Stephen McDonald Glen Rovers 20 Craig Leahy 21 Stephen White Ballygarvan 22 Lorcan McLoughlin Kanturk 23 Michael Bowles Newtownshandrum 24 Tony Murphy Carrigaline 25 Patrick O'Connor Tubber (Clare) 26 Colin Fennelly Ballyhale 27 Michael O'Neill Bishopstown

Selectors Pat Mulcahy Brendan Mulcahy Maurice O'Sullivan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deise_girl wrote: »
    Was there some kind of plan that Richie Foley had to have a great game today or something? I know that sounds odd but it seemed for a while every pass had to include him some how and people were constantly shouting "Richie, Richie" even when he was at the other side of the pitch.

Isnt this the same game plan that Waterford have had with the last few years while Davy was in Charge. If John Mullane or Eoin Kelly was playing them everything would go through them. Every manager knows this now and will be ready for Waterford, yet Davy is not able or at least refuses to use other tactics and if he continues with it Waterford will be out of the championship very early in 2011. I have said it before and will continue to keep saying it, Davy should not have been reappointed as Manager of the Waterford hurlers this year because in my view under him we are going no where.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Isnt this the same game plan that Waterford have had with the last few years while Davy was in Charge. If John Mullane or Eoin Kelly was playing them everything would go through them. Every manager knows this now and will be ready for Waterford, yet Davy is not able or at least refuses to use other tactics and if he continues with it Waterford will be out of the championship very early in 2011. I have said it before and will continue to keep saying it, Davy should not have been reappointed as Manager of the Waterford hurlers this year because in my view under him we are going no where.

Yea thats a fair point about the "one man show" but Eoin Kelly and John Mullane are much bigger scoring threats and theyre more accurate then Foley. Hes not even a forward..
    I just think it kinda odd that he was the guy to who was to win the game for us when normally he wouldnt score more then 2-3 points in most matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yea thats a fair point about the "one man show" but Eoin Kelly and John Mullane are much bigger scoring threats and theyre more accurate then Foley. Hes not even a forward..
    I just think it kinda odd that he was the guy to who was to win the game for us when normally he wouldnt score more then 2-3 points in most matches.

what more do you want from foley he had a super game and ur still criticising him .. makes me sick the begrudgers in this county

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

djfern84 wrote: »
    jesus deise girl u talk sum sh*t what more do you want from foley he had a super game and ur still criticising him .. stick to the cookin and cleaning and leave the debating for people who know what ther talking about.. makes me sick the begrudgers in this county

Hey djfern84, i think you are out of order in what you said to Deise girl, everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

makes me sick the begrudgers in this county
    lol lol

what more do you want from foley he had a super game and ur still criticising him .. makes me sick the begrudgers in this county

What? It wasnt criticism it was an observation.
    How can I criticize a guy for doing what hes being asked to do and giving it his best attempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Steven Daniels wasnt playing there he was on john mullane's stag, but i think he will definitly feature for the county team this year in latter stages of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

how come WIT withdrew from the waterford crystal cup? is it cause they would have been playing LIT 2 days after in the fitzgibbon? could this not have been anticipated?

O Riain wrote: »
    how come WIT withdrew from the waterford crystal cup? is it cause they would have been playing LIT 2 days after in the fitzgibbon? could this not have been anticipated?

Yea I heard it was just a build up of matches.. That they had the game that got abandoned, the replay, the LIT game, and then if they beat UL they'd have another game Sunday and then again next week, so they decided to just pull out of the WCC altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,529 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well the replay game couldnt have been anticipated tbf. They are playing UCD tomorrow in the Fitzgibbon, would have needed to play LIT replay in the Waterford Crystal, and then possibly a game v Cork. Also they got a very tough group in the Fitzgibbon - the group of death really. Its unfortunate but entirely understandable

They are playing UCD tomorrow, then would have to play UL on Friday, if they won that they won that they would have to play Cork on Sunday and then Play Fitzgibbon again on Wednesday. The possibility of having to play four games in less than a week is a bit Irish. The players are not robots, even if some of those responsible for training our top players are training them as if they are robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

could someone put up waterford transfers for this year...cant get them online in local papers

doublejj wrote: »
    could someone put up waterford transfers for this year...cant get them online in local papers

Printed in last weeks News and Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

out abroad Tom, it's not in the on-line N&S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any idea if the hurlers game today v Clare will be on WLR? Or will they just be doing updates or anything?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Any idea if the hurlers game today v Clare will be on WLR? Or will they just be doing updates or anything?

Would be very surpised if there's a live broadcast. Updates only a maybe. Clare FM might have it live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Good win there for us lads, I know it's only a pre-season game but it's encouraging to see that we still have those battling/"never-say-die attitude" qualities. No harm for the lads to keep winning games and keep them in that mindset. At least it will give us another game to get more people up to speed and give fringe players another run out.

Once again I have to ask who, when and where will we be playing next??

Good win there for us lads, I know it's only a pre-season game but it's encouraging to see that we still have those battling/"never-say-die attitude" qualities. No harm for the lads to keep winning games and keep them in that mindset. At least it will give us another game to get more people up to speed and give fringe players another run out.

Cork 0-3 v UL 0-0 in the other semi final is the latest from Cork. Not sure where the final will be, but I imagine it will be on next Sunday.

Glad to get the win today as well (despite losing a few quid on it). Extra game with a bit of competivness is good before the league. Bit concerning to see another very slow start to the game though

The winners of the UL, Cork match which is being played at the moment, but Ive no idea whos winning :/
    And I dont know where its going to be played either!
    I assume they'll draw for it though? And the finals on Sunday btw :)

And as much as I love this never give up attitude and as much as it livens the game, wtf is going on in the first half that makes them play so awful? Like one extreme to the other! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cork won by a few points, we have basically our development squad out with a few fringe players and a load of U-21s.

What was today's Waterford side?

Orizio wrote: »
    Cork won by a few points, we have basically our development squad out with a few fringe players and a load of U-21s.

What was today's Waterford side?

Dont have the exact team, but probably not to different from last time out

V Cork in Cork next Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Yes_Man

Anyone got the team line up and scorers from today?

• Advertisement

Munster GAA News
    Visit the Munster Council GAA Web site at http://munster.gaa.ie

Waterford will play Cork in the Waterford Crystal Cup Hurling Final on
    Saturday February 5th at 2;00pm in Pairc Ui Rinn.

Visit the Munster Council GAA Web site at http://munster.gaa.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement