Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Dean Ryan Cup Semi Final result from today,

De La Salle 0-13 Blackwater Community School 0-12.

Good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

tatoo wrote: »
    I see De La Salle v Sarsfirlds is the TG4 live game on Sunday,
    it should make for a good game , DLS's ability to hold Cussen could prove crucial to their chances .

From what i have seen of Sars its Cian McCarthy who is their biggest scoring threat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

deisedude wrote: »
    From what i have seen of Sars its Cian McCarthy who is their biggest scoring threat
    To be honest I reckon this Sars team are a poor outfit and were lucky enough to win a poor standard Cork senior hurling championship. Cian Mc is a good hurler but I don't think he'll be a major threat to the DLS defence. I'd go with DLS to win by 7 or 8 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Clashmore 10/11

St Breckans evens

Draw 7/1

I belive there is a very confident clashmore poster among us:D

Get your money out then!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

DLS's ability to hold Cussen could prove crucial to their chances .

:D

Anyway, should be an interesting match on Sunday. Conor O'Sullivan will be picking up Mullane apparently.

• Advertisement

And it should also be noted that at that time he was concentrating very much on the football , he will be much more of a threat this year with the hurling he has done in the meantime .

If anything he seems to have gotten worse at hurling since he joined the inter-county panel for whatever reason. Also, Sars tend to rotate their forwards a lot, so he may not start full-forward and will probably play no more then a portion of the game in that position. I'd expect him to start half-forward. TBF he is very good at winning possession at this level but his use of ball is often headless and his shooting pretty awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zoozoo

Clashmore 10/11

St Breckans evens

Draw 7/1

I belive there is a very confident clashmore poster among us:D

Get your money out then!!:D:D

I wouldn't say that now =p

Orizio wrote: »
    :D

Anyway, should be an interesting match on Sunday. Conor O'Sullivan will be picking up Mullane apparently.

He is a very tidy cornerback, be interesting to see how he fares on Mullane

He is a very tidy cornerback, be interesting to see how he fares on Mullane

No doubt they'll have Ray Ryan playing in front of MUllane trying to cut off the supply. Presumebly DLS play a two man full forward with the half forward line quite deep ala Waterford? Should be an interesting tactical battle.

No doubt they'll have Ray Ryan playing in front of MUllane trying to cut off the supply. Presumebly DLS play a two man full forward with the half forward line quite deep ala Waterford? Should be an interesting tactical battle.

Not really, they seem to play a more orthodox system. DLS arent as reliant on Mullane as Waterford. Young Dillon in particular is a real handful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

Not really, they seem to play a more orthodox system. DLS arent as reliant on Mullane as Waterford. Young Dillon in particular is a real handful

I'd have to agree there. With all the Sars attention on Mullane it could be a big day for young Dillon. Hopefully another big performance from Daniels at wing back. As I have said many a time on these posts the Deise half back line is in dire need of new wing backs. Tony can't keep going forever and on the other wing Nagle/Pender/Foley just aren't up to inter-county standard. But luckily for us we have the likes of Daniels and others coming through. Future is bright for Waterford hurling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why would you assume that? Not being smart btw, just curious.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Why would you assume that? Not being smart btw, just curious.

Because when you have player like John Mullane it makes sense to try and isolate him in space near to the goal, like Waterford try to do (and did quite successfully against Cork last year).

In a general sense, two-man full forwards in both codes is increasingly where the game is heading as players are faster and fitter and thus space is more at a premium.

Because when you have player like John Mullane it makes sense to try and isolate him in space near to the goal, like Waterford try to do (and did quite successfully against Cork last year).

In a general sense, two-man full forwards in both codes is increasingly where the game is heading as players are faster and fitter and thus space is more at a premium.

Yet again those type of tactics seem far more prevalent at intercounty level. At most of the club games i have seen in Cork and Waterford this year the clubs play the traditional positions with maybe a tactical switch or two on to the opposition teams better player

Do you think it works when the opposing team keeps their three man full back line in tact and as soon as someone like Mullane gets the ball not only is his own man in on top of him but the free man in that line as well.

Space is only created when the player that moves out the field has his marker follows him, and the best of coaches i am sure will have told their players to leave them off and take a chance. Davy Fitz trying to make space against Tipp this year did not work did it, as Sheedy who i think was a good inter county manager/coach had instructed his players to hold their own line.

Yet again those type of tactics seem far more prevalent at intercounty level. At most of the club games i have seen in Cork and Waterford this year the clubs play the traditional positions with maybe a tactical switch or two on to the opposition teams better player

Possibly, however in Cork at least I've seen teams play center-forwards in midfield, half-forward lines play closer to midfield etc all with the purpose of creating space in the forwards. Nevermind Newtownshandrum pioneering the support/running game that on Cork two All-Irelands.

Of course there may be nothing like this on Sunday. Anyone from around here heading down?

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Do you think it works when the opposing team keeps their three man full back line in tact and as soon as someone like Mullane gets the ball not only is his own man in on top of him but the free man in that line as well.

Space is only created when the player that moves out the field has his marker follows him, and the best of coaches i am sure will have told their players to leave them off and take a chance. Davy Fitz trying to make space against Tipp this year did not work did it, as Sheedy who i think was a good inter county manager/coach had instructed his players to hold their own line.

No, and one thing Kilkenny do very well is to keep their half-back and full-back lines intact, half-back line supporting full-back line and midfield supporting the half-back line. Players don't get dragged out of position creating problems elsewhere.

Of course its easier to do that when you have superior athletes, like Kilkenny and Tipp do.

No, and one thing Kilkenny do very well is to keep their half-back and full-back lines intact, half-back line supporting full-back line and midfield supporting the half-back line. Players don't get dragged out of position creating problems elsewhere.

Of course its easier to do that when you have superior athletes, like Kilkenny and Tipp do.

Maybe if Waterford did this all over the field we might win an All-Ireland. Hurling is a simple game made difficult by Tactics dreamt up by someone. They only work if the opposing team react the way a coach/manager would like them to.

Maybe if Waterford did this all over the field we might win an All-Ireland. Hurling is a simple game made difficult by Tactics dreamt up by someone. They only work if the opposing team react the way a coach/manager would like them to.

Not really - when you have teams of different sizes and styles you will have different ways of playing the game and different gameplans to counter different team's styles. Tactics are nothing more then the means put in place to achieve victory - Cork had tactics in place based around keeping possession and using what ball we had in as effective as possible, this meant short puck-outs, a short passing game and a running game that was a mjor reason for our success in the mid 00s. It worked because we had small fast players who were good at soloing and accurate passing. In recent years this has failed due to over-elaboration while teams like Kilkenny designed their own gameplan to counter our running/short passing game - a perfect example is how Kilkenny began to mark space rather then players for puck-outs, cutting out the likelihood of short puck-outs to half backs or midfielders and forcing teams to play it long in the air.

Kilkenny won multiple All-Irelands playing a style based around hard-work, physicality and pressure, putting multiple players around an isolated hurler and forcing turnovers. They play the ball in the air because traditionally that is where Kilkenny hurling's strength is, and they also over-run the ball constantly because referees rarely whistle for steps. They hold formation or their line because that is an golden rule in all team sports. These are all tactical things that ensured the game was played to their advantages and helped them win multiple All-Irelands. Tipp won this year though confidence and hunger but also largely by emulating the style of pressure hurling Kilkenny has played for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Rumours are with a while that Ballinameela will not be strong next year. There has been talks of one or two players transferring.

What players would they be Deise Tom and to whom are they rumoured to be transferring too. Heard one about two former Waterford panelists transferring to another club in the east of the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

good win for tallow today v kilfenora (clare)
    best of luck to clashmore tomorrow
    if they win it'll be a clean sweep for west waterford clubs in munster championship football v clare teams

good win for tallow today v kilfenora (clare)

Ya, Tallow were very good today. Some of there players really stood out, players like Paul O'Brien and Donnchadh Mulcahy who got four points each. Fada and William Henley also had good games. Best of Luck to Tallow in the semi final against the Limerick Champions in two weeks time. Getting so far shows that Football is alive and well in the far west of the county with Lismore also getting to the Western Final and Ballyduff getting to it and winning it two years ago and doing well in Intermediate since they went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Interesting reading the DLS/Sars preview in the Indo today which said that Bull Phelan announced his inter-county retirement during the week. Sounds like very little was made of it but I suppose it was obvious he was never going to fit into Davy's plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

I saw that Kilfenora team win their county final and was very impressed with their forward play that day,but for a junior team to put 1-15 on the scorboard is mightly impressive so the waterford team must be a decent outfit,anyway
    St. Breckans to stop the rot!!:D:D

Daysha wrote: »
    Interesting reading the DLS/Sars preview in the Indo today which said that Bull Phelan announced his inter-county retirement during the week. Sounds like very little was made of it but I suppose it was obvious he was never going to fit into Davy's plans.

It was announced on WLR on Friday morning. The national papers were informed but did not go with it. Maybe he is not seen as a big name by some of them.

I saw that Kilfenora team win their county final and was very impressed with their forward play that day,but for a junior team to put 1-15 on the scorboard is mightly impressive so the waterford team must be a decent outfit,anyway
    St. Breckans to stop the rot!!:D:D

Hope you visited Paddy Power's after writing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well done to DLS today, very good game from what I've heard. Away all weekend so didn't catch any of it but was told they clawed it back in normal time to a draw and squeezed through in the end of ET by the minimum. Hopefully highlights on TG4 during the week. Anyone at it/saw it and can give an account of who played well etc.??
    Makes for a good Munster final against Thurles Sarsfields. Will that be next weekend or the weekend after?
    Also, where will it be on? Would it be Thurles considering Thurles are in it?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Well done to DLS today, very good game from what I've heard. Away all weekend so didn't catch any of it but was told they clawed it back in normal time to a draw and squeezed through in the end of ET by the minimum. Hopefully highlights on TG4 during the week. Anyone at it/saw it and can give an account of who played well etc.??
    Makes for a good Munster final against Thurles Sarsfields. Will that be next weekend or the weekend after?
    Also, where will it be on? Would it be Thurles considering Thurles are in it?[/QUOTE]

Will be two weeks today.

Am sure it will be Cork unless the Munster Council toss for home advantage. Unlikely to happen i would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cake Man wrote: »
    Also, where will it be on? Would it be Thurles considering Thurles are in it?

They should have on in normal time tbh, missed a lot of frees/shots especially in the second half of normal time. Also the Sarsfields keeper made at least 4 top class saves to prevent goals. That said they showed great heart to get the game into extra, a wonder point from Moran ith the last puck of the 60 mins doing it. Moran was MOTM for me, Twomey and Mullane also very good.

DLS will need to take their scoring chances better against Thurles Sars in the final

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It was announced on WLR on Friday morning. The national papers were informed but did not go with it. Maybe he is not seen as a big name by some of them.

Its a pity Davy seems not to rate him at all as I honestly think Bull still has something to offer at inter county level. We're not exactly overflowing with good midfielders and he's an option from frees/sidelines as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement