Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's worst county?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

rossie1977 wrote: »
    oxygen is held in a small field

A small field that is probably bigger than Tullamore town centre.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I just took it for granted that everybody knew Meath is the greatest place on the planet. Granted, your average marginalised Dubliner has succeeded in getting in the door of the Fifth Province, but it must also be noted that that door closes firmly just north of Ratoath and Ashbourne. Beyond that remains your average cultured and sophisticated Meathman toiling away on the soil, conversing in the local pub and plotting revenge on their neighbouring parish down on the pitch. Places like Skreen would stare dead the average Dublin barbarian should they brave the terrain and end up in the Yankees, Fox's or Swans.

You've gotta be kidding? I actually quite like Meath, it's got Newgrange, the Boyne Valley etc. but Dubs are settled ALL OVER the county and even have an entire part of the county town Navan - Johnstown - to themselves. Meath is now a satellite of Dublin, face it.

I always link Meath and Kildare together - they're sister counties IMO - stud farms, rolling good agri land that looks like a big park in places, commuter towns etc. Except Meath is much better at GAA than the Lillywhites...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

starflake wrote: »
    I actually hate Waterford. Waterford city that is.

At least its a real city :pac:

From Kilkenny perchance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

For someone that has moved from limerick to clare, id have to nominate clare for this one.
    All they do is play their fiddles and milk their cows while cutting the turf out in bogland.

Do you need the bus fare to go back into Limerick, I'll give it to you .
    On second thoughts , I may have been a little harsh , I don't know if you have been moved to Clare as part of the relocation and renovation plan that is going on in those beautiful areas of Moyross and Southill where the only things being fiddled and milked are the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Is this not essentially the same thread? I think my disdain for Leitrim is worth mentioning again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Meath needs more of a mention here...

Navan - built on the meeting of the Boyne and the Blackwater and giving blow-ins more drowning options after they've encountered the locals. Only good thing about the place since they got rid of their main tourist attraction, the maze in Navan shopping centre.

Kells - Like a cowpat on a well tended garden.

Duleek - There is a reason they built that incinerator there!!

Dunshauglin - Full of country skangers with cars and notions.

Ashbourne - Twinned with Hell.

Athboy - Yet to properly enter the 20th Century in terms of basic sanitary norms and incest laws.

Julianstown - That Julian has a lot to answer for. The spiritual home of all Julians. I've never met a Julian that is not a prick, this is why.

Laytown - A normal Summers day might include some stabbings in your local supermarket and they actually write racist slogans on your clothes with permanent marker if they sniff you out as being a 'no-tail'. Then they burn you.

Ratoath - Semi-retirement home for Dublin criminals. When that lot breed with the locals it will have catastrophic results for neighbouring counties and future generations.

Meath side of Drogheda - A constant source of shame and degradation for Drogheda dwellers especially when Meath win GAA games and the muck savages leave their farms and congregate in the nearest urban area. They may be decent at GAA, but they are filthy degenerates in terms of style, application and well, just in general.

Trim - Grim though they have got electricity now and I hear the wheel even made an appearance at a 'Trade Fair' there.

Nobber - Is actually full of knobs as the name suggests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Expresso Bongo

^^ so many places I had never heard of before (and will probably never visit.)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

^^ so many places I had never heard of before (and will probably never visit.)

Don't visit them, they are right ****holes. Use your life for more enjoyable purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

At least its a real city :pac:

From Kilkenny perchance?

Yes I'm from county Kilkenny, not the city. Haven't lived in Kilkenny in years. My OH is from Waterford. I just don't like Waterford city at all. I find it completely uninteresting. The only thing to do there is drink really. It's nothing personal it's just a boring place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Kradock wrote: »
    On second thoughts , I may have been a little harsh , I don't know if you have been moved to Clare as part of the relocation and renovation plan that is going on in those beautiful areas of Moyross and Southill where the only things being fiddled and milked are the system.

Damn right, Clare is great. It's really beautiful and there is (surprisingly :pac:) lots to do there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

mike65 wrote: »
    Laois is hard to love it must be said.

inter-city train and road

Have to say, I think your totally wrong. Laois has some of the best land in Ireland, some really beautiful places there like the Slieve Blooms, Glenbarrow and Ballyfin, Emo Court, Stradbally and the Windy Gap, Timahoe, Abbeyleix, the Rock of Dunamaise.

I grew up in Laois, and while I'll say it is far from perfect, it is FAR from the worst county in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

donegal is the worst county in ireland.

Constant fooking chip on their shoulder, "we're better than everyone else, for no reason at all", they do nothing but sneer at developed counties because they have more infrastructure than a church and twelve pubs per hundred people.

Although if my day was as boring as a donegal person's I'd be fairly miserable aswell -

Wake up. Bowl of wheat. Go to work. Dig holes. Leave work. Go to pub. Drink pint. Go home. Eat cabbage. Say prayers. Bed.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Can we include counties on the mainland?

If so then I've never liked Yorkshire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Wexford, because of Enniscorthy.....hehehehahahahohohohoho

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Well the worst county i ever had the misfortune of staying is Cavan.

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned :confused:

Completely off the mark. One of the best counties IMO.

There is some counties I have never been like Carlow so can't comment.
    Leitrim must be the most quiet and boring county out there although some people go for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭IceICEbaby

For someone that has moved from limerick to clare, id have to nominate clare for this one.
    All they do is play their fiddles and milk their cows while cutting the turf out in bogland.

Oh no way! Clare's deadly! I'm just back from a weekend there and the sessions were unbelievable! The people are (in general) really nice aswel.

There are WAY worse places to be...( *ahem* Cavan/Offaly/Laois/Roscommon/Longford)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

leitrim, if it exists. ive only heard urban myths

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭D.U.M.B

Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Fleadh Cheoil 200,000 - 250,000 WTF?

I didnt even know it existed(and now feel like a dumbass). Even with the facts in my face i still find it hard to believe.

**** this, , , im going up that weekend!:D

Possibly a bad move, unless you are feeling a bit flaithiúil with your money: accommodation is ridiculously expensive from the date the fleadh holder is announced the year before. Camping might be an option, though. There is definitely at least one large officially-sanctioned campsite where places are allocated on a first come first served basis. Only €25 per day as well.

Try this: http://www.fleadh2009.com/stay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Can we include counties on the mainland?

If so then I've never liked Yorkshire

Hello, Steven G. Ellis. Just thought I'd drop you a line to say Yorkshire is actually on an island. But let's not allow the facts get in the way of the "mainland" "British Isles" brigade.

Try France, a real country on a real mainland. There you will find the origin of the English 'county' in the French comté, which itself is from the Latin Comitatus. After that you can proceed to the 'condado' of Spain or the 'grafschaft' of Germany for more feudal origins.

How very European our "mainland" advocates really are as they sit on their island and try to pretend that they are the centre of the world and everything, including counties, originated there.

• Advertisement

Whats not to like about Cavan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Right first time. Place is like the seventeenth century. Remember the Mayo Echo Lough Lannagh article?

The asshole that ran that freesheet rag (its now out of business) created controversy for the sake of it. His views are about as representive of the average Mayo person as the 'Irish Catholic' is of the average Irish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

DB10 wrote: »
    Whats not to like about Cavan?

cavan!

mods should ad a poll and end this skutter!

im sill voting for longford

Aye Longford is a kip. The Granard gypsies make sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Kradock wrote: »

ah no you're grand. I can pay for my own bus fare, thanks for asking. Im not from moyross by the way. You generalise too much. :)
    Ennis is an alright town but alot of the rest of clare is all...farms..! Every parish is either called a bog or a home for the culchies.
    Maybe living here has just blinded me of its beauty?? *meh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Hello, Steven G. Ellis. Just thought I'd drop you a line to say Yorkshire is actually on an island. But let's not allow the facts get in the way of the "mainland" "British Isles" brigade.

Try France, a real country on a real mainland. There you will find the origin of the English 'county' in the French comté, which itself is from the Latin Comitatus. After that you can proceed to the 'condado' of Spain or the 'grafschaft' of Germany for more feudal origins.

How very European our "mainland" advocates really are as they sit on their island and try to pretend that they are the centre of the world and everything, including counties, originated there.
    Rather than travel back in time, I shall stay in the present. And I'm still not a fan of our Yorkshire brothers and sisters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Hello, Rebelheart.Just thought I'd drop you a line to say that he a certain Randolph was taking the mickey and you fell for it hook,line and sinker :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Meath needs more of a mention here...

Navan - built on the meeting of the Boyne and the Blackwater and giving blow-ins more drowning options after they've encountered the locals. Only good thing about the place since they got rid of their main tourist attraction, the maze in Navan shopping centre.

Kells - Like a cowpat on a well tended garden.

Duleek - There is a reason they built that incinerator there!!

Dunshauglin - Full of country skangers with cars and notions.

Ashbourne - Twinned with Hell.

Athboy - Yet to properly enter the 20th Century in terms of basic sanitary norms and incest laws.

Julianstown - That Julian has a lot to answer for. The spiritual home of all Julians. I've never met a Julian that is not a prick, this is why.

Laytown - A normal Summers day might include some stabbings in your local supermarket and they actually write racist slogans on your clothes with permanent marker if they sniff you out as being a 'no-tail'. Then they burn you.

Ratoath - Semi-retirement home for Dublin criminals. When that lot breed with the locals it will have catastrophic results for neighbouring counties and future generations.

Meath side of Drogheda - A constant source of shame and degradation for Drogheda dwellers especially when Meath win GAA games and the muck savages leave their farms and congregate in the nearest urban area. They may be decent at GAA, but they are filthy degenerates in terms of style, application and well, just in general.

Trim - Grim though they have got electricity now and I hear the wheel even made an appearance at a 'Trade Fair' there.

Nobber - Is actually full of knobs as the name suggests

You forgot a few!!

Enfield, Kilcock, Kinnegad - Why bypass them when you had a perfect opportunity to eradicate these 1 horse towns from the map. Although there would be a worldwide shortage of Toyota saloons and a severe danger that Fine Gael may never get elected again ever...but I think it would have still been worth it!

Bettystown where all the pretentious wannabe D4 horsefcukers hang out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Knee Grow Plz

Cavan, then Navan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Cavan, then Navan.

navan's a county now?

Advertisement