Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Bouncers on Boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I think this "be confident" advice is misleading. I think if you look too physically confident (i don't think it matters what size you are) the bouncers will see you as more of a threat.

I haven't been refused from anywhere since I started college (2 years ago), not only that but I'm always drunk going in and get called out on it quite regularly.

What i do hate though is the way some bouncers almost become lick-arses towards attractive women (contrasted with the way they treat guys).

I mean, when has the on-duty bouncer ever gotten the girl?

It's just unproffessional and tbh, seeing someone else benifit so much from positive discrimination annoys me to no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lolwut

Went to the palace week before last with my boyfriend who had come up from Galway. We got in there early enough, I think it was just before 11, walked up to the door and went to walk in. Bouncer stopped him and said "hang on there". He asked had he been here before. He said no, and the bouncer looked ready to tell him to get lost. I interjected to say it was because he was from Galway. I said I had been.

He then asked for our IDs. We gave them to him. He gave my boyfriends a really long look.

Then he asked how many we had had, we had literally only had about 2 in mine before getting the bus into town. He told him that his eyes were very glassy for someone who had two so not tonight.

It was if he had decided straight out that he wasnt getting in. He's 24, doesn't look young or like3 a scumbag in the least and was wearing a shirt and shoes. There was absolutely no reason for it at all.

Are you talking about the Palace in Athlone?
    If you are that was my cousin, And i apologize on the behalf of him lol

vinylmesh wrote: »

What i do hate though is the way some bouncers almost become lick-arses towards attractive women (contrasted with the way they treat guys).

I mean, when has the on-duty bouncer ever gotten the girl?

It's just unproffessional and tbh, seeing someone else benifit so much from positive discrimination annoys me to no end.
    This tends to be bouncers who are employed directly by the club. When you work for a company there is a more strict code of conduct as you cant diminish the company's reputation by acting like a womaniser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Thats hitting the nail exactly on the head.

If you are refused for whatever reason however, have a bit of dignity and walk away ffs.

Its not the end of the fcuking world.

Agree with that!
    Use it to your advantage. If you're going to some overpriced city centre bar/club just cos your mates insist, act really drunk so you get refused and go to a decent bar!

People seem to think that if if you look like a scumbag, you'll get refused. The irony is that you're probably getting refused by a guy who wouldn't get in himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

No it was the palace on Camden street, Dublin. We were just so shocked that we said fine and literally laughed the entire way down to the Button Factory. There was a gig on there that I really wanted to see so it wasnt all bad. But I had been supposed to meet up with my best friends who I hadnt had a chance to see in ages, and they were broke so they wanted to have a clubbing night that was free, so in that sense it was a bit of a kick in the teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

When did i insult and antagonise anyone?

Here
    go complain to your parents for god sake

and here
    Act your bloody age and cop on

and here
    whoever they god damn please

JMcCR wrote: »
    Here

and here

and here
    Its just common sense here, i dont mean to across the way you speak of but this thread has been done over and over again and im quite tired of it.

Arguing about a refusal only justify's why you are refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

People missing one big sorry sore point in this thread. If you and maybe only one or two other mates, or perhaps just you and your girlfriend, are out and a couple of lads start on you inside a pub/club with promise of the rest of their mates joining in, outside of the odd chance of some other punters bailing you out, imagine there was no bouncers or doormen or other security staff.

Just imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A smile and a "hows things" is usually enough. The worst thing to do is stop expecting them to look for ID or check you out.

When refused just act as if you're not a bit surprised and say no bother (they will actually feel sorry for you). If you desperately do want to get into that place for whatever reason you can walk by again a few minutes later ignoring it. A lot of the time the bouncer will call you over if you've seemed decent.

We all complain about bouncers but we also want to go into a place with a decent crowd.

Regarding the dress code. I've gone into town wearing white puma runners the last few times and not had a problem. Now I'm sure I'd have put shoes on going to somewhere like Howl at the Moon but there's definitely a change from years ago when you had to wear shoes to every place in town.

On a side not, i happened to be working at a Boards beers in town about 2 years ago. Everyone was so polite and had such a great laugh with all of them, i was on the smoking door and never once did i have a problem. They were all smashing people.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I was a bouncer for a year in cork, It was one of the most enlightening jobs I've ever had!
    It was in a pretty nice club so I didn't have to deal with much scumbags. Half the time I refused people it was due to orders coming in over the radio from my manager or the guy on the security camera. They didn't pay me to ask why.
    Sometimes we were told to only let people with blue/brown/cream/neutral coloured clothing. As it looked better from the outside... The safest reason to give is that "You've seem to have had too much tonight." Some sort of legal loop hole means that even if the guy seems 100% sober, it was still a solid reason due to it not being quantitative. I rarely said "Not tonight", as I remember how annoying that was whenever I heard the same words.
    Also, I'd never grab a cheap feel off one of the customers, if anything they would be much more likely to do that to me! drunk irish wimmin are frightening sometimes! Neither would any of the lads I worked with. They were sound out guys and well educated for the most part. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

i was a bouncer when i was doing my degree, and while i hoinoestly wouldnt treat anyone badly myself, i did work in one particular clulb in dublin where the boss would tell us "no men with brown shoes tonight lads...no women with short black hair...no men with long hair..." etc, purely for the purpose of "making the night more interesting. Personally I couldn't give a toss, because I don't frequent clubs. I do sympathise with those of you who have had bad experiences though, because I know exactly the kind of prick you find yourselves up against from time to time. best advice i can give is don't even try debate with them, not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

One day I was wearing tracksuit bottoms walking through temple bar. They were a baggy pair, not tucked into my socks or anything but em, I decided to walk into the Quays bar and restaurant for a club sandwich, and the restaurant is located in another door. So this was roughly 3pm in the day. when I approached the door, a bouncer from inside the pub came out the other door fairly hastily and asked me was I alright. I said I was, and walked up the stairs.

I thought to myself, what a wanker.

I dont know why I posted this, but it seems bouncers suspect that anyone not dressed in their sunday best at 3pm in the day is a knacker. Paranoid *****

And of course, you'd be delighted if the door staff in your favourite indie/professional-type bar started letting anybody with a tracksuit in.

It's called a dress code and they enforce it. They're not out to get you.

The more I read these threads I wonder what percentage of you are actually friendly to door staff, catch their eye as you enter or leave the place and approach the door with at least the impression that it's not a given that you'll get in.

The majority of posts here sound like teenagers griping about the cheek of those trained monkeys daring to refuse them entry to one of hundreds of places that they can to.

And you'd all be the first to be on here crying if some gorilla battered your boyfriend/mate in the bar and there were no door staff to come and help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

stovelid wrote: »
    And you'd all be the first to be on here crying if some gorilla battered your boyfriend/mate in the bar and there were no door staff to come and help you.

Actually, my first complaint would probably be with Dublin Zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

stovelid wrote: »
    And of course, you'd be delighted if the door staff in your favourite indie/professional-type bar started letting anybody with a tracksuit in.

It's called a dress code and they enforce it. They're not out to get you.

The more I read these threads I wonder what percentage of you are actually friendly to door staff, catch their eye as you enter or leave the place and approach the door with at least the impression that it's not a given that you'll get in.

The majority of posts here sound like teenagers griping about the cheek of those trained monkeys daring to refuse them entry to one of hundreds of places that they can to.

I hate the mentality that all bouncers are ****, i've a friend who was convinced that all bouncers were out to get him. The fact that he acted the total bollox after a few pints didnt come into it.

If you go up to a bouncer expecting a row, you're probably going to get one.

Not worth the stress IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

davyjose wrote: »
    Actually, my first complaint would probably be with Dublin Zoo.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Its just common sense here, i dont mean to across the way you speak of but this thread has been done over and over again and im quite tired of it.

Arguing about a refusal only justify's why you are refused.
    If any time I've been refused entry I dont argue with the bouncers as to the why. They get enough grief as it is. And argueing over doesn't get anywhere. And hopefully the next time I'm there, the bouncer remembers that I wasn't a prick and lets me in. And I'm glad to hear from a bouncer that I was right.
    I've only ever queried a bouncers decision once, and that was after being refused entry about 5 times in a row on different weeks. I simply asked why, he explained that I had been hollering abuse at them after being removed(which was my own fault). I told he had me mistaken, and that I had gone home after being removed, and I said that I had known that had I shouted abuse at them I'd never get in again, and that I could go home a bit black and blue. So after explaining myself, he let me in. But I'm sure they were keeping an eye me anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

mink_man wrote: »
    I've applied for my bouncer thingy in fas! you only have to be 16 to be a bouncer ya know! ;)

what IQ of 16?

Mink_Man wrote:
    I've applied for my bouncer thingy in fas! you only have to be 16 to be a bouncer ya know!

You have to be 18, You have to be 16 to do the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

16 would be far to young to be bouncing. You do actually need a degree of maturity to do the job well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Its a typical i hate bouncers thread, was one last week too.
    You dont get in? fine, act your age and file a complaint if you feel you are hard done by. Sick to death of these threads, all the OP's seem to think that all bouncers go to the college of complete bastards. Why dont you post when you do get in somewhere and have a pleasant time. Even had a lad pm me before about how to get in to a club. Its you that comes bad out of this when you say thing like " I was going to kick him up and down the street". Act your bloody age and cop on.

If you don't like it then don't read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

what IQ of 16?
    Did you use your mensa level IQ to think of that quip? Maybe it's just me and my IQ of 16 but I fail to see the funny part of that quip, in fact it brings me back to my original post on this thread, oh my how witty and intelligent you are to think of that, I bet nobody even had to help you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

A few years ago I tried to get refused from a club in temple bar, i was out with the girlfriend and she wanted to meet up with her friends that were up for the match, I didn't want to tag along plus I was fairly skint at the time so wanted to go to a free bar instead, so my plan was to go to the door with a bit of attitude, enough to get refused, but not enough to ]let her know what I was up to

Bouncer - have you had much to drink?
    Me - I'd had a few
    Bouncer - where you here before?
    Me - (bluntly) No
    Bouncer - where are you from?
    Me - Coolock , why?
    Bouncer - (pausing) OK go on
    Me - (aah crap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

TheZohan wrote: »
    I haven't been stopped getting into a club/bar in years.

1. Don't act the pr!ck in the queue to get in.
    2. Don't be hammered
    3. If there's a gang of girls and guys try and couple up even if you're not couples
    4. Adhere to the dresscode.
    5. Say hello to the door staff and don't act like a dick.
    6. Enjoy yourself inside, don't ruin anyone elses enjoyment.
    7. Say thank you when you're leaving, they're the ones that made sure no scum got in to ruin your night and made sure that things ran smoothly inside.

That's nonsense, you can be courteous, be dressed appropriately, not act the prick and they can still judge you in a split second before you even say hello and decide on whether you're getting in or not.

Some of the bouncers here are absolutely spot on, dead genuine nice people - but others, are roided out of their brains and get insane roid rage and take it out on punters.

If a bouncer doesn't like you, you're not getting in.

In saying that, I have'nt been stopped in a long time - but being stopped is embarrassing, and the bouncers feed off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Just a little suggestion..

If a bouncer says you're not getting in then don't argue the case..you'll only end up looking like a muppet. Just walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ive been refused sober one or twice and just accepted it, one time i was going to meet mates for rugby game and i argued it - i was working the sat morning and rushed into town to make the game....

was refused - i missed the 1st 1/2 standing outside asking the bouncer to explain why i was refused who at first said your too drunk then later switched to "not today mate"

so i asked for the manager which i didnt get - about 40 mins of me standing there another bouncer came out and i pleaded my case with him who said go in no problem (i didnt get an apology either)

some bouncers are just assholes but i know some sound ones as well who would still recongise me and say hi even though i havent been in said pub for months or even a year

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

My friend and I were refused from Capitol a few weeks ago for no apparent reason, despite being REGULARS!

Just got the 'not tonight' line! Couldn't believe it, we were dressed well and sober!!!!

Have heard it from a lot of people since then, they must have changed their door policy recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The majority of bouncers I've come across in my time have been decent enough... only once have I come across the 'not tonight lads' line, it's fúcking annoying though. Stood there trying to get a reason out of him for 5 minutes, the guy was just full of shíte. Was just the three of us, well dressed and sober, he wouldn't even make up a reason for not letting us in.

When I was 18 my night out basically involved getting as drunk as possible and then wandering around, I went through a phase of being a bit of a prick... and one night in Q bar I just starting slapping all my friends thinking it was hilarious (I actually gave up drinking for about 6 months after this). Bouncer decided he'd had enough of me but instead of throwing me out he just informed me I'd had enough and I needed to go home but would be welcome back next week. He followed me around for about 2 minutes until I found my friend who'd been put in charge of getting me home. Sound bouncer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

the_syco wrote: »
    When I worked in a club, I saw few scumbags let in, until the Hitching Post was closed. Then they streamed in :mad: Was fun to see 3 to 8 bouncers stream through the crowd when there was trouble outside, with the manager behind them with the video camera.

How is Mr.Hannigan these days?...(I'm guessing still a prick).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TheZohan wrote: »
    I haven't been stopped getting into a club/bar in years.

1. Don't act the pr!ck in the queue to get in.
    2. Don't be hammered
    3. If there's a gang of girls and guys try and couple up even if you're not couples
    4. Adhere to the dresscode.
    5. Say hello to the door staff and don't act like a dick.
    6. Enjoy yourself inside, don't ruin anyone elses enjoyment.
    7. Say thank you when you're leaving, they're the ones that made sure no scum got in to ruin your night and made sure that things ran smoothly inside.

Plus, people don't mess with The Zohan!.

But in all honest, after meeting you in person this is the kind of attitude I'd expect from you. Its just a pity more people couldn't take a leaf out of your book.

But to the OP's rant.

My alarm bells went off when he/she mentioned door staff coping a feel of females, without even having the benefit of having met the chap I'm thinking that the door staff made a good call.

Also people posting rants about bouncers - jeeze guys, your asking us here to assume alot - ie that your not a prick/lunatic/drunk/stoned/underage/violent/history of trouble at the venue or like the OP of last weeks bouncer rant (was it Piste?) he admitted walking up to the que, then the door drinking from a can of beer!.

Of course there are pricks working the doors, lord knows I've worked with alot of 'em myself but as I've said, posting these rants is really asking the people of boards.ie to assume your lilly white yourself.

And thats not an assumption I'm willing to change making.

Advertisement