Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Bouncers on Boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Spot on

Wasnt there one of these last week?
    You can get a prick serving you in a centra.Do you start threads about those people too?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Haha you cnut
    Banned for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I've never been refused from a nightclub, and I'm not the type that would fit in in many of them. I have long dreadlocks, a beard and glasses. The worst I've ever gotten from a bouncer was the bouncer looking at my I.D. for about 30 seconds, then asking me what age I am in a suspicious tone, because I look a lot younger on my Garda I.D.

How do I do it? Just don't be a loud obnoxious arsehole in the queue, say hello to the bouncer, look and act friendly, if he asks any questions ("Where are ya coming from?", "Have you any on ya?") just answer them like you'd answer a friend, make eye contact, and don't look as guilty as a bull walking out of a china shop in a balaclava.

Seemples.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Never really had trouble getting past bouncers bar once.

Went into the pub, no bother at all. Went out front to have a fag, when I went for going in he grabs me by the arm and I reply "What are you doing??". He goes show me your id and I went "fine but you already let me in". He tells me now that I cant go in despite having a legit id. No reason what so ever. Wasnt too bothered as he was the same twat who punched my mates GF so when driving by him again we gave him a nice surprise of tacho/cheese chips into the face. We laughed for a few minutes and then just carried on.

Other than that, most bouncers will have the crack with you when you go for a fag and are sound out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Daroxtar wrote: »
    How would there be any bouncers on Boards? If you cant read you can hardly use a computer.
    :rolleyes: Wow that's so witty and intelligent using the same line that's used in every bouncer thread ever started on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

TheZohan wrote: »
    1. Don't act the pr!ck in the queue to get in.
    2. Don't be hammered
    3. If there's a gang of girls and guys try and couple up even if you're not couples
    4. Adhere to the dress-code.
    5. Say hello to the door staff and don't act like a dick.
    6. Enjoy yourself inside, don't ruin anyone else's enjoyment.
    7. Say thank you when you're leaving, they're the ones that made sure no scum got in to ruin your night and made sure that things ran smoothly inside.
    I agree.

Firstly, there are gobschites in every job. Its unfortunate but true.
    After that, all staff including bouncers, the vast majority who don't want to start or cause trouble, just want to be able to do their job and go home in one piece anyway.
    I'm sorry if you were stopped at a door but in all honesty, the best thing you should do is grumble under your breath (to yourself) and come back the next day if possible when maybe you feel a bit fresher and attempt to ask the 'blocking person' "why?" the night before. Any decent experienced bouncer will sometimes times tell you his/her reason in regard to the prior time.

Remember however that you were probably not the only person NOT let in on that faithful night - so don't feel personally victimised too much (even though its understandable why you would feel that way). The bouncer again in all honesty, wasn't just out to pick on you - and if the rare one was (and had a personal grudge, etc), being on that property was probably not the best place to be!

A bouncer by the way sometimes asks you an innocent question NOT to be nosey but to try and gauge by your response, your level of intoxication, your general demeanour/attitude going in and if your indeed in such a bad intoxicated way - could you even understand the question!

The bars/licenced premises, etc reserve legally the right of admission. They can at time also refuse a person on the grounds that their presence on the property might lead to a breach of the peace. They can also refuse legally your entry on the grounds that due to a previous occasion, you might have been involved with a prior incident that might have happened and a re-occurrence might be thus possible.

The owners have a "legal duty of care" to those in it. Like it or not, for cost reasons alone, high "public liability" rates, court awards, etc, the bouncer at the door is the first form of protection to the owner/manager to keep those costs down as low as possible.
    Sure - absolutely - they are going to make mistakes. Even the best of them do. To say different would be wrong. A big mistake on most peoples part however would be to think that by they getting refused entry, it was a slight or implied stain on their personal character. Its not. That is never the intention of any decent security person. Its just perhaps caution that sometimes has an occasional unfortunate side-effect of catching a totally innocent person along with the many others that have been correctly refused entry that night (and rightly so for the safety of those already inside).

You could write to the manage/owner and tell them in a calm, clear, cool, collected way that you were refused and you didn't understand why. Explain to him/her that by the security door personnel actions, your money and presence will no longer be found on their property in future - along with your friends and their money too.
    The one thing that owners/managers fear is the loss of revenue (more so these days) and if a number of folk are starting to stay away, you can be sure he/she will start paying attention when they see their opposition gaining more monetary revenue and they less.
    Managers/owners all the time hear from drunken bums on the night the equivalent of "me and my mates are never coming here again" but in the cold light of day if they hear it from you and each of your mates who also take the time to write an individual protest letter, using a clear head - any manager/owner worth their salt will again sit up and take notice, get back to you and see a wrong put right.

If they don't, if they ignore your letter(s) they are assholes and in the long run, your better off not being on their property in the first place.
    Next time say to yourself "stuff them" and reward a better place with your hard earned money instead.

All the best. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If you claim to have problems with bouncers every week then it does suggest that you're the one causing the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Voltwad wrote: »
    Also, if any of ye are brave enough to post will you admit to 'copping a feel' of passing females?

OP - why should you be allowed into a club if you behave like this? That is assuming you do otherwise why ask the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I can barely believe what I'm reading... Tips on how to get past bouncers? Allowed into a club? What kind of bullsh!t is this!? Oh please sir, what kind of salad tossing do I have to do to spend huge money in your club? If a bouncer is going to be an arsehole I don't f**kin want to be there when there are plenty of half-decent friendly places around. The managers and owners are probably arrogant boll*xes too if they let that sh!te go on.

F*ckin hell you don't go to a shop and have to justify why you should be allowed buy a jar of jam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Voltwad wrote: »
    Also, if any of ye are brave enough to post will you admit to 'copping a feel' of passing females?

You've got a really ****ty attitude mate.

How am i supposed to explain the mentality of another person?

You are not exactly opening yourself up to reasonable explanation when you instantly assume that because i do a certain job i would engage in sexual assault.

And why is it considered "brave" to post?

I would consider it "brave" for you to express your opinions to the face of the bouncer in question, instead of just moaning on line like another little bitch. I'm gonna put you on the pile with Piste.

If you would like me to offer a possible reason as to why you were stopped, i need to know more. How many of you were there, what state were you in, any trouble on that door before, any personal trouble with the bouncer or a friend of his, any rep around your area for being a cnut....that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Katarn1

I got refused over the weekend. Its a kick in the nuts when it happens.

I'm a lad and was out with three girls. Tried to get in to the Dragon and got told no. We were all well dressed, not drunk and certainly not loud.

So I tried the time honoured trick of saying "no problem", all of us walked away, then I went back up after a few minutes and politely asked the bouncer would there be any chance he'd reconsider. He said ok and let us in.

Same thing has worked for me a few times before.

Turned out he was just concerned that the girls would freak out if they were hit on by a lesbian, when I said to him that they all have plenty of gay friends he was cool with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Turned out he was just concerned that the girls would freak out if they were hit on by a lesbian
    What the... ? Is the dragon a gay club or something? If so why would you go in if you were afraid of that? And why... Bloody hell I'm disagreeing with that bouncer on so many levels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Katarn1

komodosp wrote: »
    What? Is the dragon a gay club or something? If so why would you go in if you were afraid of that?

Yeah its a gay club and the girls all knew that.

Gay bars tend to get a lot of traffic from straight girls cause the bars tend to have a reputation for a good laugh. According to the bouncer there was incidents in the past where the people got very offended when they were hit on by a gay person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I have travelled around a fair bit (New York, Sydney, Dubai and also to a lot of places in Europe and the only place I have ever been refused into a club is Dublin. A lot of my friends that have come to Ireland on holiday have also commented that in Dublin it seems that bouncers are there to stop you getting into a club rather than letting you in. Have to say that I agree with them.

For instance I was in Brighton at the weekend and the bouncers there were great. Not one bit of hassle in getting in anywhere. I was in Leeds last year for a friends birthday party. We were all in fancy dress and were in 4 different pubs and a nightclub. No hassle getting in anywhere. If were in fancy dress in Dublin I can guarantee that we would have problems getting in to places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Dragan wrote: »

I would consider it "brave" for you to express your opinions to the face of the bouncer in question, instead of just moaning on line like another little bitch. I'm gonna put you on the pile with Piste.

If you would like me to offer a possible reason as to why you were stopped, i need to know more. How many of you were there, what state were you in, any trouble on that door before, any personal trouble with the bouncer or a friend of his, any rep around your area for being a cnut....that kind of thing.

I don't think it's ok for people to abuse other posters just cause they're mods Dragan. Someone was banned earlier in this this thread for doing just that and ironically this whole thread is about people abusing their power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Dragan wrote: »
    You've got a really ****ty attitude mate.

How am i supposed to explain the mentality of another person?

You are not exactly opening yourself up to reasonable explanation when you instantly assume that because i do a certain job i would engage in sexual assault.

And why is it considered "brave" to post?

First thing said to us was 'Never seen you lads around here before'. When we explained we were in town for a birthhday one lad was refused because he only had his passport and no 'College ID' even though he expressed he wasn't in college as he was taking a year out. We didn't do anything that would have remotely suggested that we were there to cause trouble and that's the god honest truth. I stated already that I know not all bouncers are like this, clearly. But there's a high enough percentage of them to make me curious about things like why exactly they get the job and is there more to it than being a 6'5 tank.

I actually rarely have trouble with bouncers, the reason I started the thread with 'another week....' is because I hear all too often of the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i was out for my end of exams party with the college crowd and we were meeting in a well-known cocktail bar near Camden St. We spent a couple of hrs there and a fair bit of money. Niether myself nor any other girl was even ID'd on the way in,but each lad was given a grilling. Finally,a bunch of the lads were refused point blank,and the bouncers wouldn't give a reason.

i was still quite sober so attempted to talk them round,or at least find out why. in the end i called for a manager and told him that we were leaving (easily 50 people),taking our business elsewhere. their loss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gazzer wrote: »
    I have travelled around a fair bit (New York, Sydney, Dubai and also to a lot of places in Europe and the only place I have ever been refused into a club is Dublin. A lot of my friends that have come to Ireland on holiday have also commented that in Dublin it seems that bouncers are there to stop you getting into a club rather than letting you in. Have to say that I agree with them.
    I would somewhat agree with this too. Though of course both mine and your experiences of other countries are going to be small in number. I do think the Irish hospitality industry, while having it's good points also has a touch of the up themselves attitude, from managers down. "You're blessed to be paying for this" kinda thing. The price fixing and general rip off culture irritates. Though at least I will leave and go somewhere else if I come across a bad example of it.

That said I would say that over the years I have had almost zero problems with security. That's not bad going considering the amount of times involved. I've had more good experiences than neutral too. In the hierarchy of pub/club employees, I've had far more issues with bar staff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭bakkiesbotha

Katarn1 wrote: »
    Yeah its a gay club and the girls all knew that.

Gay bars tend to get a lot of traffic from straight girls cause the bars tend to have a reputation for a good laugh. According to the bouncer there was incidents in the past where the people got very offended when they were hit on by a gay person.

When that place was Sosume, I was thrown out because I was walking around with my balls hanging out my fly. I was trying to imitate Buster Gonad. I bet I'd get a different response to that these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

***All Your comments so far***

Not attacking the poster but highlighting an attitude....

From reading this thread one thing stands out. You have not defended or explained the actual reasons for refusal. You just insult and antagonise everyone who complains about members of your profession. In my opinion what you have actually done here is concrete the general perception that bouncers are a law into themselves and when asked for their reasons, they just tell you to complain to your parents.

Real insightful. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Confab wrote: »
    If you claim to have problems with bouncers every week then it does suggest that you're the one causing the trouble.

Not really a fair comment. I know an absolutely lovely lad, nicest bloke you will ever meet, just a teddy bear of man. Has terrible trouble getting into clubs because he is well over 6ft and has a shaved head (not really his own choice). Bouncers rarely like the look of him and there is always murder trying to get him in to clubs. Would never cause any hassle anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

absolutely ,..... dragan is really showing his doorman attitude here.

I especially love the bit where he says " show bravery n' come up here and say it to my face " ..... in a im' bigger than you mentality.

a real tough guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

When I consider the guys I knew who went on to be bouncers, I'm not surprised they make dumb decisions.

You take a multi-milion euro club, and you put some guys on the door who, let's be honest, are there because of their physical attributes :P It doesn't make business sense.

A few years ago I got refused from a club for no reason. I told the guy he was pretty pathetic to use decent people to fuel his power trip. He said "yea worever". I swear it was like talking to Vicki Pollard. And this guy seemed to be in charge of the other doormen. Another mate of mine, who I really like, was a doorman for years while he was taking tablets for rage problems :pac:

I think the best thing is the way they do it in some places overseas. You have an actual manger-type person on the door, who decides if you can come in or not. Then if you try and push past him or her, the hired muscle can do whatever it is they do.

I know a lot of people are also saying you should walk up and be all nice and smiley, regardless. But for a lot of us, that's a problem. I respond to how I'm spoken to. If a bouncer is curt with me, that's how I am in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 beezer84

I was a bouncer myself in Leeds. We did get told by the manager's not to let large groups in etc. I had trouble getting in sometimes in Dublin when I was younger being 6ft 5 and 18 odd stone. But now back in Dublin i find if you talk to a bouncer making eye-contact, even smile once in a while, I have never had a problem. The times I was refused when younger I had had too many beers or was in a large intimidating group approaching the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've never been refused into a club since I was 17....

I've no idea what I'm doing so right....

I don't go to clubs in large groups, I'm not a tool and I don't give off the impression of overconfidence. I think the latter is the reason many people get stopped going into clubs and feel hard done by as a result. Hard to explain exactly what they do wrong, but if you're inclined to start a thread on boards after you get refused from a club, you're likely to fall into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

komodosp wrote: »
    I can barely believe what I'm reading... Tips on how to get past bouncers? Allowed into a club? What kind of bullsh!t is this!? Oh please sir, what kind of salad tossing do I have to do to spend huge money in your club? If a bouncer is going to be an arsehole I don't f**kin want to be there when there are plenty of half-decent friendly places around. The managers and owners are probably arrogant boll*xes too if they let that sh!te go on.

F*ckin hell you don't go to a shop and have to justify why you should be allowed buy a jar of jam

This.

I dont frequent places that require "doormen" or places that require me to change my appearance to suit some dress code, pay stupid money to pay more stupid money for watered down muck, to stare at slack jawed collar popping idiots and their chartbusters tanned excuses for talent, and listen to chart dreck all while the owner is rubbing his hands with glee with euro signs in his eyes.

f**k that

JMcCR wrote: »
    Not attacking the poster but highlighting an attitude....

From reading this thread one thing stands out. You have not defended or explained the actual reasons for refusal. You just insult and antagonise everyone who complains about members of your profession. In my opinion what you have actually done here is concrete the general perception that bouncers are a law into themselves and when asked for their reasons, they just tell you to complain to your parents.

Real insightful. :rolleyes:
    When did i insult and antagonise anyone? How could anyone explain or defend a refusal of another bouncer? I never said that bouncers are the law themselves, clubs have the right to refuse anyone. In know way have i insulted anyone on this thread, i was pointing out that there is one of these threads every week and im sick of it. If you look through this thread you will see that it is bouncers being generalized and called names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

the bouncers in Q-bar are alri,especialy the ginger 1 he let me 17 year old brother in on saturday:Ponly got refused in Q-bar once cos we had no I.D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

This.

I dont frequent places that require "doormen" or places that require me to change my appearance to suit some dress code, pay stupid money to pay more stupid money for watered down muck, to stare at slack jawed collar popping idiots and their chartbusters tanned excuses for talent, and listen to chart dreck all while the owner is rubbing his hands with glee with euro signs in his eyes.

f**k that

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/worldofwarcraft/files/2008/12/southpark_wow2.jpg ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

JC 2K3 wrote: »

no....try again. (hint look at my sig, you may have missed it, while you were missing my point)

Advertisement