Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they should do something like Apocalypto where we get to see it from the other point of view
    So we have the Space Jockeys landing on LV-426 and how they dealt with the Aliens all done with subtitles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Plot outline? [not sure if spoilers]

http://io9.com/5816884/if-this-is-actually-the-real-plot-for-ridley-scotts-prometheus-just-shoot-us-now
    If this is actually the real plot for Ridley Scott’s Prometheus, just shoot us now
    Annalee Newitz — A tipster has forwarded us what somebody close to the production on Prometheus claims is the plot outline to Ridley Scott's long-awaited prequel to Alien. We're fairly dubious that this is the actual plot. And not only are we skeptical about the authenticity of this outline, but we're really hoping that our skepticism is justified. Because if this is the real plot outline to the flick . . . well, abandon all hope. It's like an awful cross between Beneath the Planet of the Apes and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

With those caveats, we present to you the hopefully inauthentic outline of Prometheus:

Earth. Year 2058.

Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by a advanced alien race (space jockeys). These "Alien Gods" also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God's home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and his crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their "children", their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it's not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the "bio-source code" to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods' power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to "clean up" worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What's left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission.

Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.

Thanks for the tip, Merciki!

Chestburster plushie by Paleona!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, “Luke, I am your father”, by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise.

This is ridiculous. The Star Wars prequels would only have spoiled the surprise if George Lucas was a Time Lord and released them before 1977. Anyone watching the series for the first time should watch them in the order they were made. The same rule applies to books - read them in publication order.

(Actually, anyone watching Star Wars for the first time should watch IV and V and then play the Lego video games of the rest.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

chin_grin wrote: »

Am I the only one who thinks that is not AS terrible as they make out?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I think it could be kind of good, apart from the fact that I'd now know what happens, so for that reason I hope it's fake.

(and it does seem to be almost the exact opposite of what Scott/Lindeloff have said about the film)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Yeah, which I have trouble believing as stuff like that would almost certainly be all cgi.

Not true, even in the AVP movies the xeno's were mostly guys in suits, with CGI tails

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hmmm, it's certainly a depature from the franchise. Still, anything better to get away from those AVP films.

I won't believe anything until it's official, anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Turtyturd wrote: »

Well to me it screams Scientology. <puts on tin foil hat>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

doesn't that sound like 3 movies?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Did this really happen? I've watched both recently enough and IMO, Cameron's 80's gung-ho military take on it has dated quite badly whereas Scott's use of suspense, mystery and silence create a terrifying atmoshere which has yet to bettered (and it is unlikely that it will be).

You feel Aliens is dated? Why so? To me still remains one of the top war/sci fi films yet. Rife in tension suspense and not a frame of cgi in sight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

faceman wrote: »
    [Aliens]Rife in tension suspense and not a frame of cgi in sight

Several of the model shots look like toys, though. Particularly when there is fire or flames in shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Well to me it screams Scientology. <puts on tin foil hat>

It seems more like a retelling of the Prometheus tragedy from Greek myth - stealing fire from the Gods etc.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hmmm if thats true it sounds like the crew of the Nostromo should have known what the Space Jockeys were in the first place no? Also I thought Ridley Scot basically came out ages ago and said these movies ould not be direct prequels to the Alien movies, that sinopsis is very much a direct prequeal. I'm hoping it's a hoax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hmmm if thats true it sounds like the crew of the Nostromo should have known what the Space Jockeys were in the first place no? Also I thought Ridley Scot basically came out ages ago and said these movies ould not be direct prequels to the Alien movies, that sinopsis is very much a direct prequeal. I'm hoping it's a hoax.

Not necessarily, I'd say that if the Space Jockeys get their asses handed to them, then the crew of the Prometheus will too. No-one will survive to tell the tale about the Alien "gods" and their fav bio weapon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Here's what the press release says:
    Visionary filmmaker Ridley Scott returns to the genre he helped define, creating an original science fiction epic set in the most dangerous corners of the universe. The film takes a team of scientists and explorers on a thrilling journey that will test their physical and mental limits and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life’s ultimate mystery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Who says they didn't? During the first Alien movie, all we know is that the Company wanted to keep the specimen alive & there were subtle hints that Ash knew more than he was letting on.

As it happens, it's not the worst plotline I've ever heard, it's certainly a fairly direct retelling of the Prometheus story, if the script is genuine. I think it could be a cracker. Mind you, I hope it isn't real, because the idea that the movie is now spoiled for me before it's even started shooting makes me angry & sad :( This is definitely why I hate the internet sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've added spoiler tags to the earlier post... just in case it is genuine.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Who says they didn't? During the first Alien movie, all we know is that the Company wanted to keep the specimen alive & there were subtle hints that Ash knew more than he was letting on.

As it happens, it's not the worst plotline I've ever heard, it's certainly a fairly direct retelling of the Prometheus story, if the script is genuine. I think it could be a cracker. Mind you, I hope it isn't real, because the idea that the movie is now spoiled for me before it's even started shooting makes me angry & sad :( This is definitely why I hate the internet sometimes.

It was fairly clear they had no idea what the space jockey was, Ash knew everything though for sure. The more I think about it the more it makes sense, I think it could be cracking film to, kind of wish I hadn't read it now though :(

One thing though, if thats the whole story arch they really shouldn't be making 2 films.

I think the 2 film idea has been abandoned for now. But if this is successful they might make a sequel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

They could always just wait 5 years and do a remake, or if it's really successful wait 2 and do a reboot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I read the supposed plot and it sounds very interesting.

I just hope, so, so much that they won't CGI and action the hell out of it. Alien is NOT! an action movie.

Ridley, don't disappoint.

Supposedly they're in Iceland at the moment "filimng the beginning of time"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Supposedly they're in Iceland at the moment "filimng the beginning of time"
    Set Photos have snuck out, and one of them suggests
    a Giger influence, so perhaps the Space Jockeys are involved...

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=39533.msg1154458#msg1154458

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

The Alien crew talked to Comic Con and were surprisingly open about the new film. They even showed footage, which I couldn't find online but they did release this image:

prometheus_660.jpg

Full article here:
    http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/07/prometheus/

The interesting bit of this for me is this quote from Scott:
    “I was actually too busy doing other movies and exploring other genres, so frankly I never actually thought about science fiction until I realized there was something in the first Alien movie that nobody had ever asked the question about … and I thought that could be the centerpiece of what we’ve just completed. That said, that is the only DNA loosely applied to the original Alien. We’ve gone in a different directions, but in the last few minutes of this movie you’ll see what I’m talking about.”
    hmmmmm. I wonder if the DNA bit is more literal then it appears. And in the last few minutes of Prometheus we'll see how it ties in with the original, and that question that nobody has ever asked about it before...

That landing pad on the right is in the set pics from Iceland. No I dea what question he's on about though.

I do like how it looks "Alien" if you get me.

I do like how it looks "Alien" if you get me.

Yea. It's very reminiscent of LV 462 by the looks of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

From what little I've seen it looks similar visually to Alien. This is good. :)

Absolutely, I like Alien 3 but at times it didn't look right and Alien Resurrection looked like it was set in an entirely different universe to the previous films. Less said about AvP the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

"outstanding, now all we need is a deck of cards"

Advertisement