Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Looking to buy a replacement mower - our Flymo just died. We got it as a pressie and it served its purpose but since using the neighbour's one (Bosch Rotak 650, 41cm cutting width) I wouldn't go for something so small again, glorified strimmer.

It's going to be shared between my house and my sister's around the corner so cost will be split. Gardens are typical housing estate, quite small. Would prefer plug-in because it might be less hassle between the two houses as battery/petrol means who is going to provide the power/fuel if it goes empty (not that we'd fall out but just preempting stuff!). That said, I've had a read of the thread and some good suggestions out there already for battery/petrol so not averse to either if the price is right! I'd say budget is about 200 quid.

Here were some that seemed potential ones, any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flymo-EasiStore-Electric-Rotary-Mower/dp/B082H6GVGS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=UAN7nFbAdTuSAeR0zD8-6w&hsa_cr_id=6430422460402&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Rotak-Electric-Rotary-Mower/dp/B00GZLFPRG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Bosch+Rotak+34R&qid=1592526834&s=diy&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFBTFhTNUo4M01XV0cmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMzQ0NTExWkg5UkxNRzQ2MTBWJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNTUzNzYyVU9WRUlBOVY1T09HJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Lawnmower-NGP-16in-Poly-Deck-Push/9059710

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭deezell

This might suit, cordless, 2 batteries, so charge one while cutting with the other, plus a strimmer for the awkward bits. €250, or €180 for mower and 1 battery

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7459238/Trail/searchtext%3ECordless+lawnmower.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

deezell wrote: »
    This might suit, cordless, 2 batteries, so charge one while cutting with the other, plus a strimmer for the awkward bits. €250, or €180 for mower and 1 battery

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7459238/Trail/searchtext%3ECordless+lawnmower.htm

Would this be better value? currently on sale with 3 year warranty . I hear good things about parkside and lidl are very good with warranties

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-projects/cordless-lawnmower/p44080

Would this be better value? currently on sale with 3 year warranty . I hear good things about parkside and lidl are very good with warranties

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-projects/cordless-lawnmower/p44080

Bigger cut at 43cm, but don't forget, "Batteries Not Included". The charger plus one 20v 2Ah battery for €30 is insufficient, you need at least an extra 20v 4Ah battery, also €30. This will give you 6x20 = 120 WattHours of charge. The Argos offer had two 24v 4Ah batteries, so 192 WattHours of juice.
    Here's the batteries and chargers.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/diy-projects/c1204/w1

Parkside stuff is good btw, I have a mix of theirs for years, very solid. Only complaint was getting a spare rechargeable battery for the cordless drill/driver after many years. They had upped to a different bigger model and battery, and the smaller one was impossible to find. I eventually broke it open, bought three replacement right sized LiPo cells from China and brought it back to life. I've seen lots of cordless tools in the recycling bins in Power City, obviously useless when batteries are obsolete. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Wouldn't be too worried about the petrol , I bought a gallon for my lawn and there was lots left over after the summer, ye will hardly burn the gallon between ye!

QUOTE=thevinylword;113779893]ooking to buy a replacement mower - our Flymo just died. We got it as a pressie and it served its purpose but since using the neighbour's one (Bosch Rotak 650, 41cm cutting width) I wouldn't go for something so small again, glorified strimmer.

It's going to be shared between my house and my sister's around the corner so cost will be split. Gardens are typical housing estate, quitcause it might be less hassle between the two houses as battery/petrol means who is going to provide the power/fuel if it goes empty (not that we'd fall out but just preempting stuff!). That said, I've had a read of the thread and some good suggestions out there already for battery/petrol so not averse to either if the price is right! I'd say budget is about 200 quid.

Here were some that seemed potential ones, any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flymo-EasiStore-Electric-Rotary-Mower/dp/B082H6GVGS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=UAN7nFbAdTuSAeR0zD8-6w&hsa_cr_id=6430422460402&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Rotak-Electric-Rotary-Mower/dp/B00GZLFPRG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Bosch+Rotak+34R&qid=1592526834&s=diy&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFBTFhTNUo4M01XV0cmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMzQ0NTExWkg5UkxNRzQ2MTBWJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNTUzNzYyVU9WRUlBOVY1T09HJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Lawnmower-NGP-16in-Poly-Deck-Push/9059710

Cheers![/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 34 diabhail

Hi - missed the Woodies mower. Any feedback on this:

DRAPER 500MM PETROL MOWER 5HP - €295
    Robust steel deck Mulching function Side discharge Single lever height adjustment Self - propelled 50L grass collection box Cutting width 500mm

https://www.clarkesofcavan.ie/shop/gardening-groundcare/draper-500mm-petrol-mower-5hp/

diabhail wrote: »
    Hi - missed the Woodies mower. Any feedback on this:

DRAPER 500MM PETROL MOWER 5HP - €295
    Robust steel deck Mulching function Side discharge Single lever height adjustment Self - propelled 50L grass collection box Cutting width 500mm

https://www.clarkesofcavan.ie/shop/gardening-groundcare/draper-500mm-petrol-mower-5hp/

Decent pattern/generic mower, backed by the Draper brand, so parts should be assured. It's a discontinued model, so the price is keen for 50cm cut and 173cc engine, still on sale in UK for about €400 in some places. Engine is decent Chinese overhead cam, should have plenty of power for the 20" cut. Go see and kick the tyres (literally!), before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Where would be the best place to source parts? I have the Pro-Lawn mower that was being discussed a while back from Woodies and hit a rock that broke an arm off the side discharge piece. It still goes on, but comes off with any resistance at all so needs replacing. Would Woodies themselves be the right starting point?

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Where would be the best place to source parts? I have the Pro-Lawn mower that was being discussed a while back from Woodies and hit a rock that broke an arm off the side discharge piece. It still goes on, but comes off with any resistance at all so needs replacing. Would Woodies themselves be the right starting point?

First and only point, unless you want to browse the other budget mowers our there and identity the pattern parts that are common. Post a few pictures of the side flap. When you do go to Woodies, ask for tge name and number of the agent who handles their spares and repairs.

• Advertisement

First and only point, unless you want to browse the other budget mowers our there and identity the pattern parts that are common. Post a few pictures of the side flap. When you do go to Woodies, ask for tge name and number of the agent who handles their spares and repairs.

Here's a few images:

106279680-291420475243911-6234457103588031641-n.jpg

75250868-267374397870104-334533183708627548-n.jpg

105708289-969048383547215-8930872803498251562-n.jpg

IMG-20200625-215725-1.jpg

Will pop in to Woodies and try that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭893bet

Bought a Stihl 650 T on a whim yesterday.

Am I going to regrets it?

GinSoaked wrote: »

Jesus I feel stupid now :P I searched for the whole thing and it brought up nothing, but not for that part alone. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Jesus I feel stupid now :P I searched for the whole thing and it brought up nothing, but not for that part alone. Thanks!

Bit of luck really don't know how often I've looked up part numbers like that for myself and found nothing - but had to be done and if deezell hadn't asked for the pictures no one would have found it.

Thanks folks - saves me some hassle. Mortified of course, but hassle saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

was this a recent model? I have same issue for a woodies pro-lawn from a few years ago I use for a part of lawn too high for ride on

was this a recent model? I have same issue for a woodies pro-lawn from a few years ago I use for a part of lawn too high for ride on
    You'll find that flap fits a lot of machines. Hercules are identical to Prolawn I'm certain, there's a good few dealers for them, so they might have that flap knocking around. I've one for a Cobra, and it looks to be almost identical, designed to fit into that standard looking side discharge moulding. If you'res is a 48cm/18" cut, that flap would most certainly be the same.

Recent model alright - bought few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Stephen93

Wondering if somebody could offer me some advice;

We have a Castlegarden XDC 140 ride on mower.
    The last day we took it out of the shed it appears as though the deck will no longer adjust.

We last used it in the number 5 position. The handle will not go higher than this. It will go lower, but the deck is still stuck at the original height.

The handle is ok and the cable is intact.

No tension whatsoever going from 5 to 1 amd if we try to force it higher than 5 the deck still wont move and would take a team of people to pull the handle.

Any advice be great. Thanks

• Advertisement

Stephen93 wrote: »
    Wondering if somebody could offer me some advice;

We have a Castlegarden XDC 140 ride on mower.
    The last day we took it out of the shed it appears as though the deck will no longer adjust.

We last used it in the number 5 position. The handle will not go higher than this. It will go lower, but the deck is still stuck at the original height.

The handle is ok and the cable is intact.

No tension whatsoever going from 5 to 1 amd if we try to force it higher than 5 the deck still wont move and would take a team of people to pull the handle.

Any advice be great. Thanks

Sounds like the cables are rusted solid. They're Bowden cables on that deck? Like a heavy duty brake cable, inner wire through an outer sleeve, one on each side. Symptoms match, you cant lift the handle higher as the cable is seized, when you try to lower it the cable goes slack at the lever end. Was it hosed down maybe? Or left out in the rain. You'll need to get some penetrating oil into the sleeves at the top end of the levers let it soak in. Lower the lever to 1 and gently tap the deck downwards on either side. If you get it to drop, oil the exposed inner cable at the deck side, raise, lower, oil, till it frees up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 thebandit2020

How long was it used in number 5 position?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Stephen93

Thanks, that worked.

The lawnmower is only a year old so yeah maybe something caught or stuck in place. A few whacks helped and everything greased up works better than before.

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

You'll find that flap fits a lot of machines. Hercules are identical to Prolawn I'm certain, there's a good few dealers for them, so they might have that flap knocking around. I've one for a Cobra, and it looks to be almost identical, designed to fit into that standard looking side discharge moulding. If you'res is a 48cm/18" cut, that flap would most certainly be the same.

HI there the one I have is a 53 cm one I believe

HI there the one I have is a 53 cm one I believe
    I see it here on the sherpa brand 53cm mower, identical to Prolawn. Good to know if someone is looking for parts for the woodies version. Dont see anyone here retailing sherpa, but not to be confused with the extremely expensive AS brand, which has a model called the Sherpa.

Sherpa_ST53H_side_discharge-500x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

Hi, probably well covered already apologies.
    Weve recently rented a house with 3/4 of acre of lawn. Very level and in decent condition. It’s obviously down to us to maintain and hadn’t factored in the cost of a ride on lawn mower into the move. Expensive times Bit don’t fancy spending 3-4 hrs cutting it. Realistically is it possible to pick up something Around 12.5hp 36” for 850-900 Quid? What model should I aim for or am i dreaming? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Looking for recommendation for a lawnmower - self-drive, aluminium deck, good engine, mulcher.

About 500 mark if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Weve recently rented a house with 3/4 of acre of lawn. Very level and in decent condition. It’s obviously down to us to maintain and hadn’t factored in the cost of a ride on lawn mower into the move. Expensive times Bit don’t fancy spending 3-4 hrs cutting it. Realistically is it possible to pick up something Around 12.5hp 36” for 850-900 Quid? What model should I aim for or am i dreaming? Thanks

We have .75 acre of site with .5 acre of grass, I cut it in an hour and 10 mins with a push mower with very little effort using a mulching mower.
    Plenty advised that Id need a ride on but funds don't allow at the min.
    Might be a cheaper option until you're in a position for a better ride on.

Looking for recommendation for a lawnmower - self-drive, aluminium deck, good engine, mulcher.

About 500 mark if possible.

Not much in aluminium/Alloy at that price range. Mountfield were selling off a alloy deck model a while back.
    Gardencare have one of the lowest price alloys, a 48cm/19" cut model, 4 swing tip blades, should make a good mulcher.
    https://www.gardencaredirect.com/shop/garden-machinery/lawn-mowers/gardencare-lmx48spa/

They had a bigger version, seems to be discontinued, the lm53spa. Here's one you might haggle down to €500

https://www.watsonhire.ie/product/gardencare-lm53spa-alloy-deck-mower/

This Proplus has a huge 56cm cut, 22", and is a tad over €500. Unsophisticated but robust, and is ideal for .5 acre sites mentioned in other posts, an hour or so and you're done.

https://www.raygrahams.com/products/149415-proplus-56cm-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-with-briggs-stratton-motor.aspx

Woodie's I recall had an alloy deck 53cm model also last time I was in, Prolawn, their own brand.
    You don't say if you want a mulcher only mower? That's a different type altogether, but Cobra, Castelgarden have affordable mulch only, though not with alloy decks.

• Advertisement

Go used, if you want a decent ride on sub €900, or else a big walk behind like this
    https://www.raygrahams.com/products/149415-proplus-56cm-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-with-briggs-stratton-motor.aspx

Advertisement