Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Portsalon wrote: »
    Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that it was a petrol/hot oil mix but I'll head out and have a look.

I'd have a go at re-starting it only I'm worried that it might blow up!

Where are you I'm just thinking about scraping a similar machine with a similar engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

my3cents wrote: »
    Where are you I'm just thinking about scraping a similar machine with a similar engine.

Hi there I bought a Lidl version of these about 5/6 years ago. Brilliant machine as I have .4 acres grass.

Little bit of rust on body but engine is fine. Could I just change e gone to a different body and give to a family member?

Hi there I bought a Lidl version of these about 5/6 years ago. Brilliant machine as I have .4 acres grass.

Little bit of rust on body but engine is fine. Could I just change e gone to a different body and give to a family member?

Within the size ranges the engines all have fairly standard mounts and the shaft lengths are normally the same as are the threads so yes in most cases you can swap engines over.

One place I worked used to regularly swap old 5 hp brigs engines for 5 hp honda ones with no problem at all and I've replaced a good few engines with different models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I'm in Donegal.

But since my earlier posts I restarted the mower - it restarted first go! Then drained and refilled both the oil and petrol tanks, checked the air filter and everything seems fine.

You were correct that it was only hot oil that had erupted through the cap, there was no petrol in the mix and the petrol that I drained out was completely clean; so presumably the oil had overheated because I was working the mower too hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 junipershade

Hard to say but I'd say something was wrong? Is the electronic clutch working correctly? When you start the engine the deck should be disengaged. Everything is going around fine just as it should under the deck. The manual version of that deck has loads more components that aren't used in the electric one.

That deck design does vibrate a good bit but it looks like something might be out of balance on yours. So check under the deck for anything bent (blades) chunks out of the blades or something attached too or wrapped around the blades.

The electronic clutch seems to work fine, and the deck will engage and disengage, it just seems to strain the engine almost to the point of cutting out. Once running it seems ok. I'll contact the seller and see what they say.

• Advertisement

The electronic clutch seems to work fine, and the deck will engage and disengage, it just seems to strain the engine almost to the point of cutting out. Once running it seems ok. I'll contact the seller and see what they say.

I'll be honest and say I don't really know the electric clutch on those on the decks I'm use to the manual and vacuum clutches.

Both the manual and vac clutches engage quite slowly. It takes up to 5 seconds for the blades to get moving so the engine can slowly take up to load. I wonder if the electric clutch dumps power to quickly too hard into the drive mechanism and so the engine struggles until its up to power.

I think thats about a 12hp engine which should be OK on that deck (its a very common deck thats been used for years on loads of machines).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sunny day out there boys, time to rev up them engines!

fryup wrote: »

Time to start crawling around fixing the bugger first :mad: A simple belt guard/retainer fell off last cut and I couldn't find it anywhere. EVerytime I stop the deck the belt falls off. Dealer forgot to order the part then found me a similar part from another machine (should work OK) last night I discovered the mounting screws I've got are too small :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

are you in clare? i'll cut your grass....€40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I was cutting yesterday and Monday in the pouring rain, today is a rest day :)

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^

are you in clare? i'll cut your grass....€40

If I was in Clare I'd rip your hand off. 4 hours work and at least a tenners worth of petrol would be a great deal for €40 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

If I was in Clare I'd rip your hand off. 4 hours work and at least a tenners worth of petrol would be a great deal for €40 :D

Is that using a ride on ? Must be a huge area !

Daz_ wrote: »
    Is that using a ride on ? Must be a huge area !
    Yeah, not that big good acre but lots of going round obstacles and then its a narrow area and grass needs dumping at one end. Under 4 if I keep up and the crops not to thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not sure if this is the right place. But does anybody know anywhere in Dublin that would do body repair work on a lawnmower?
    Lawnmower is fine, just caught out in the rain too many times, 7inch x 4inch hole where one of the arms connects.
    A deck/cutterhousing is €200 + whatever it costs to fit it.
    So would prefer if it was possible to repair.

Suckit wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place. But does anybody know anywhere in Dublin that would do body repair work on a lawnmower?
    Lawnmower is fine, just caught out in the rain too many times, 7inch x 4inch hole where one of the arms connects.
    A deck/cutterhousing is €200 + whatever it costs to fit it.
    So would prefer if it was possible to repair.

Just get a new deck and do it yourself. I did last year and replaced all the bearings at the same time. Its not a big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Just get a new deck and do it yourself. I did last year and replaced all the bearings at the same time. Its not a big job.

Can't find part one.... :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSnnDe8homo

Not sure I would be able to. I saw another video but the guy had taken the whole thing apart, and parts were everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

peadar76 wrote: »
    I have a budget of approx 700 euro for a new petrol lawn mower

For me the most important thing is that it is good at bagging the grass, even if a bit damp.
    Ideally would like a blade clutch.

I was considering extending my budget to go for the Honda HRG536VYE, but read somewhere (possibly here) that the Hondas are overpriced and there is better value to be had in other models.

Recommendations would be much appreciated

I bit the bullet and bought the honda. 799 from Doyles in Wexford. I'm very happy so far. First cut and I had only to empty the bag 6 times, would have been at least twice that with my old mower. It really packs the grass in. Blade break is brilliant. I tried the last section with the mulcher and I couldn't believe it, at a glance there is no difference. You couldn't see the grass that was left on the lawn, except at each end when turning around. My only criticism would be that it is very heavy and takes a bit of strength to manoeuvre around obstacles when not using the self drive. That doesn't bother me, but might an older person. Also each wheel has to be adjusted separately to change the height. Again doesn't bother me.

I bit the bullet and bought the honda. 799 from Doyles in Wexford. I'm very happy so far. First cut and I had only to empty the bag 6 times, would have been at least twice that with my old mower. It really packs the grass in. Blade break is brilliant. I tried the last section with the mulcher and I couldn't believe it, at a glance there is no difference. You couldn't see the grass that was left on the lawn, except at each end when turning around. My only criticism would be that it is very heavy and takes a bit of strength to manoeuvre around obstacles when not using the self drive. That doesn't bother me, but might an older person. Also each wheel has to be adjusted separately to change the height. Again doesn't bother me.

Glad to hear you’re pleased with it, Honda mowers are very good and I wouldn’t be without mine, although my one is another 19kg heavier than yours, but I just got used to it over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

19 kgs! Wow. What model is it? It must pull the arms off ya

19 kgs! Wow. What model is it? It must pull the arms off ya

Hrh535hx four wheel and hrh536qx roller models, I have the four wheel sped up as well so it goes faster, you get used to the weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

deezell wrote: »
    Stiga Estate 5092 H is the pick of the Agrieuro €2-2,5K price range. Made in EU, american made B&S avs engine, hydro, electric blade, a hefty 10% off brings it right under your budget.. Slightly narrower cut than some in this price point at 93cm, but given the relatively small cutting area this might be an advantage if you have tight spaces in parts. AVS engines have less vibration than normal single cylinder engines. As you only have 0.3acre to cut, ( make sure your reading from the app was in Acres, not Hectares), and some of this is not suitable for a ride on, maybe you would be better off with a large 30"/77cm walk behind mower like this Toro Timemaster, €1400.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/toro-timemaster-30-quot-mower-new-model/12288417

For about the same money you could have this used Honda v twin engined ride on, from the same dealer.

HI Deezal

had some car issues so never purchased at that time you gave this advise

I see that company in Kilkenny you posted are selling htis

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/viking-stihl-16hp-38-quot-ride-on-mower/22409738

would this be a good machine considering the year? I wonder would there be movement on the price

I love that stiga you reference above - loaded with accessories. My head space was in the castelgarden xdc 150, when I checked agri euro they were charging for the mulch kit so price difference between there and a local guy 2400 meant it was nearly worth going to him

seems like the xdc150s are running out of current stock
    My other interest was this. seems like it can be got for 2600 cash

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/new-castlegarden-lawnmower-xdc-160-hd/21628170

Any thoughts? Am I better to wait at this stage for off season?

Budget ideally is in the 2K-2.5K

I took the plunge and purchased the stiga estate from agrieuro.

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-estate-5092-ride-on-mower-briggsstratton-engine-grass-collector-mulching-system-p-10498.html

Let see how it goes. I’m probably a little mad buying so late in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Update on mine. I decided, after re talking to my husqvarna dealer, to purchase new. He offered me 75 trade in for old mower. After looking at done deal and other research, I've decided to try and sell the mower privately, as the engine and other parts are working perfectly. I purchased

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Lawnmowers/Petrol-Lawnmowers/Mcculloch-170cc-Honda-Gcvx170-Self-Propelled-Lawnmower--51cm-1714062

It was cheapest Honda powered mower I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭deezell

Paint the arse of the deck with 2 coats rust primer before first use and keep it cleaned and dry, or you'll have another perfect Honda engine attached to a few kilos of Iron Oxide in a few years time!
    You should have took the €75, hard to sell a rusted through deck, but good luck with sale, the buyer might just want the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Great advice re painting inside. This one is supposed to have hose attachment for cleaning the deck... However that works. The r53 was always cleaned.

That's what I'm hoping. There were two similar up on DD, with same problem in last couple of weeks. Both sold... Not sure for how much of course. I estimate I've put 60 hours on the engine over the years. My garden is not big.

The 75 was towards a full price €650 mower. It was basically a 10% discount. I felt I wasn't getting a good deal.

Ah, not €75 off the Mccullough. You're right, you weren't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I am thinking of this McCulloch Ride on. An thought on it or would there be a better alternative for the same or less outlay
    Lawnmower.jpg

Thats about as little as you could spend on a collector mower, but it's really a side discharge mower with the rear bin accessory added, grass will be blown up a side chute. I assume its the gearbox version, not the CVT auto.
    A rear bagger mower will cost a bit more for the same cut width and engine power. Have a look at used quality brands, 2 grand is a good budget. Otherwise this is the nearest comparable new in a bagger for that money. Alpina is a Castelgarden brand, engine is their own. https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/alpin-bt-98-ride-on-mower-200-grass-collector-mechanical-transmission-p-12583.html

Thanks for that deezell. I had'nt seen that Alpina on Agrieuro. Will probably go with it as it has a rear discharge/collection.

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Thanks for that deezell. I had'nt seen that Alpina on Agrieuro. Will probably go with it as it has a rear discharge/collection.
    For €120 more you can have a slightly less powerful Briggs engine on the same machine. GGP engine should be fine though, you pay a bit more for the B,&S name.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/alpina-bt-98-ride-on-mower-grass-collector-briggsstratton-344-cc-engine-p-12582.html

• Advertisement

Deezel, I thought I had made my decision with the Alpin you suggested but I went looking again and am now as undicided as I was early in the week. Any thoughts on this.
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-estate-2084-ride-on-mower-with-grass-collector-and-mulching-kit-ggp-7050-engine-p-15743.html

Advertisement