Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 in croker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

People can whinge, moan, begrudge, slag and be negative all they like, I never said anything to the contrary.

But while these people were whinging, moaning, begrudging and being negative nearly a quarter of a million people were having a ball in Croker watching these 4 guys doing what they love most. Just saying, I prefer to be with the people having a ball.

If you don't kike U2, great, you just whine and be negative as much as you want. Free country.

I just say screw the begrudgers, let them moan and the rest of us will concentrate on having fun.

I think Bono himself summed it up best on Saturday night when he said something along the lines of :

"We had a great night last night but we're going to top that tonight. I know somepeople would like us to top ourselves. That would make some people happy ! But they're not here tonight.......... you are !"

Damn right, let the moaners moan, the rest of us will just enjoy ourselves instead !
    So we can moan about him? Great!

By the way, don't mistake begrudgery. People like Gerry Ryan, Ronan Keating and Brian McFadden genuinely think people hate him because they're rich and famous. It's not, it's because they're tossers. It's the same with Bono.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Paparazzo wrote: »
    it's because they're tossers. It's the same with Bono.

Yep, a seriously rich tosser.... and fair play to him for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alalou

Hi guys, just reading all the stuff about U2 and its weird what one person thinks in brilliant another doesn't. I thought the concert was 'Magnificient' especially when they playd that song. I go to loads of concerts and I must say that it will be a long time before one surpasses Friday night. As for the Crazy song, I loved the additional jazzy bit in it, thought it brought more life into the original song. Def, best rock band in the world and I'm not even Irish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yep, a seriously rich tosser.... and fair play to him for it !
    Being rich has nothing to do with it;)
    alalou wrote: »
    Hi guys, just reading all the stuff about U2 and its weird what one person thinks in brilliant another doesn't. I thought the concert was 'Magnificient' especially when they playd that song. I go to loads of concerts and I must say that it will be a long time before one surpasses Friday night. As for the Crazy song, I loved the additional jazzy bit in it, thought it brought more life into the original song. Def, best rock band in the world and I'm not even Irish!!
    I thought it was a great gig too! Especially the older stuff. Best rock band? No, but that's entirely subjective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

People can whinge, moan, begrudge, slag and be negative all they like, I never said anything to the contrary.

But while these people were whinging, moaning, begrudging and being negative nearly a quarter of a million people were having a ball in Croker watching these 4 guys doing what they love most. Just saying, I prefer to be with the people having a ball.

If you don't kike U2, great, you just whine and be negative as much as you want. Free country.

I just say screw the begrudgers, let them moan and the rest of us will concentrate on having fun.

I think Bono himself summed it up best on Saturday night when he said something along the lines of :

"We had a great night last night but we're going to top that tonight. I know somepeople would like us to top ourselves. That would make some people happy ! But they're not here tonight.......... you are !"

Damn right, let the moaners moan, the rest of us will just enjoy ourselves instead !

Bono really said that stuff? Christ, in that case he's starting to sound like your average grudge bearing All Ireland winning captain.
    Or worse still, Bertie Ahern after the last election.
    I wasn't there. Have nothing against U2, to be honest.
    I like some of their songs and they've contributed handsomely to the country, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

menuisier wrote: »
    Whats with all this Muse talk?? they arent even that big, saw there show a few years ago at oxegen good show but wouldnt rank in away close to being the best show i've ever been to and theres no way Muse could sell out three shows in croke park.

the fact that they supported u2 in the states says it all really.

U2 been known in States since 80's, Muse since mid-00's(Absolution, their 3rd album). People have said Muse don't have resources to put on big shows....eh, 16 & 17th June, 2007, Wembley Stadium says it all. Someone also says the singer Matt has no charisma...he is a genius with the guitar, and even better on piano. Muse nowadays make great songs, U2 don't. Muse do have a back catalogue to play big shows, especially after this year, the big crowd favourites will only be alternated. They'll be around for a while to come yet...thankfully!

The new tour for U2 does look amazing, undoubtedly, I'll give them that. But thats all it is, a light spectacle backed by horribly average songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

LET THE MIGHTY INTERNET HAVE THE LAST WORD

http://www.1vs1.name/?q1=u2&q2=muse&zone=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Stadium rock sucks cock big time.

Why people pay money to see somebody play on a big screen is beyond me....

Same difference staying at home and watching it on the box, only you dont have to pay exorbitant ticket prices, get screwed for drinking plastic cups of beer and have little or no view of the 'artist' that you have gone to see.

Small(ish) intimate gigs are the way to go. Just my humble opinion. Not necessarity a reflection on U2 (who i despise), but a general observation on going to a gig along with a few hundred thousand other people.

I couldnt think of a worse way to spend a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

feh. Neither Muse nor U2 could put on the show George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic will do in Tripod this friday night. do you think Bono could drop da bomb for 3 hours, getting down just for the funk of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

feh. Neither Muse nor U2 could put on the show George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic will do in Tripod this friday night. do you think Bono could drop da bomb for 3 hours, getting down just for the funk of it?

Whoah whoah, whoah whoah whoah whoah, George Clinton is in Dublin on Friday...god damn it! Another classic to be missed. Although I'd say Muse in there may mean multiple trips to the hearing doctor may be needed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I was at the Monday night gig and it was fantastic. It's a shame they could only play for two hours but Croke Park are ridiculously strict on the curfew.

I disagree with anyone who claims U2 are no longer making good music and are no longer relevant. The material they played from No Line On The Horizon sounded much better live than on the album. The dance version of "I'll Go Crazy.." was mad. They'll probably never make another Joshua Tree but live they are a force to be reckoned with.

Yes Bono is a bit of a twat but he has written some spectacular songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

. It's a shame they could only play for two hours but Croke Park are ridiculously strict on the curfew.

They could have started earlier than 9. Springsteen kicked off at 7.30. They didnt really need a support act with 200 songs or so in their back catalogue. They just didnt want to play for more than two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Honestly, people who make comparisons with Muse & Radiohead obviously don't have a clue about either band.

did they not have the same producer for one album each , fair comparison, they have similar dread feeling.

although mr muse indulges in conspiracies theories

thom yorke talks about killing of whistleblowing scientists

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

The anti-U2 ****e is just typical Irish begrudgery and I doubt the band give a toss what some nobody on a message boards or anywhere else thinks of them.

At the end of the day they are part of one of the greatest rock bands ever, have made millions from doing what they love and 30 years after setting out can still fill any stadium in the world with a ridiculously huge and loyal fanbase.

The begrudgers can talk when they've achieved all that :pac:

well said my friend!!
    As for Bono's political stuff.... who here has tried as hard as he has to make a difference to the less fortunate in this world. At least he has used his celebrity to do a bit og good, and the guy has achieved a lot in this respect. Yeah he drones on a bit but who here is perfect ?

it's funny to see how many people thinks Bono is a tosser for his political stuff while some junkies like Amy Winehouse/P. Doherty are considered "very cool" when they don't do anything good to themselves, to the music and to the world.

novarock wrote: »
    They could have started earlier than 9. Springsteen kicked off at 7.30. They didnt really need a support act with 200 songs or so in their back catalogue. They just didnt want to play for more than two hours.

I went to Springsteen too - he didn't kick off until 8 the night I went.
    He played for 3 hours, 20 minutes which was brilliant but he also got slapped with a fine for breaking the RDS's curfew.

True, U2 didn't NEED support acts. However, I'm sure Bell X1, The Script and the other support acts were hugely grateful for the oppurtunity. For some of those bands, it may be the only time they'll ever play to a crowd that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Driver 8 wrote: »

The residents dropped their protest because MCD threatened to sue the 128 people protesting which is a disgrace and echoes the arrogance of U2 themselves.

Boner is so out of touch he thought signing the back of a setlist and handing it to some silly resident woman would smooth the wheels of greedy big business against the small man. Deluded kn0bhead that he is.

The residents actually only stopped the protest so U2 could get their Boner Alter off the pitch to let the matches go ahead at the weekend.

U2 dont give a crap that they are crap, they will just keep ploughing on regardless trampling over anyone and anything that gets in their way.

If Boner had tried to give me a signed set list I would have wiped my ar$e with it and fcucked it back in his smug face. EW !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The residents dropped their protest because MCD threatened to sue the 128 people protesting which is a disgrace and echoes the arrogance of U2 themselves.

Boner is so out of touch he thought signing the back of a setlist and handing it to some silly resident woman would smooth the wheels of greedy big business against the small man. Deluded kn0bhead that he is.

The residents actually only stopped the protest so U2 could get their Boner Alter off the pitch to let the matches go ahead at the weekend.

U2 dont give a crap that they are crap, they will just keep ploughing on regardless trampling over anyone and anything that gets in their way.

If Boner had tried to give me a signed set list I would have wiped my ar$e with it and fcucked it back in his smug face. EW !!!
    I cant think of anything else so im just gonna go :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

which big young act has played croke park? and i don't mean wet lite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 focusfan

Was my fourth time to see U2. Went on Saturday night and I have to say I enjoyed it. Thought the line-up Republic of Loose,Kaiser Chiefs were very good. U2 were superb great lighting show and musically very tight. A great nights entertainment.

It's spelt "Bono".
    I know you're attempting to insult him by using what you thought was a humourous play on words. But really, it just looks ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Tbh I don't have much sympathy for the protestors. If you live near Croke Park, you should expect this kind of thing. If you don't like it, move.
    Oh yes, how dare they continue touring. I mean, only a quarter of a million tickets were sold for three nights at Ireland's largest stadium. It couldn't be clearer that they are rubbish and no-one wants to see them.
    Or you could, y'know, sell it on eBay and make a load of money off it. Sell it to one of those so called "sheeple" who apparently know NOTHING about music because they went to see the band who recorded such awful tripe like "With Or Without You", "One", "All I Want Is You" and "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, I understand people not liking Bono and not liking U2 but the amount of vitriol directed against them by some people is actually pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 I really don't get the vitriol. I mean they're a band, a band that have made a pretty big impact on the world stage and have had a pretty big influence on music itself. If people like them, then what's the big deal? Is the world a musically better place because of them? I say on balance, yep it is, regardless of ones personal views of that. End of. Being the contrary type I am, Im quickly becoming more of a fan in the face of the vitriol.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kevinmcm

Always find the anti U2 vitriol spewed funny. You can taste the bitterness off the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Well I went to the Saturday night, amazing gig, the biggest band in the world on top form.....really made my weekend and cheered me up after a rough couple of days :)

Are U2 the most hated band in Ireland? Goin by Boards yes they are....do I care? Not a jot. Stuff the whingers.

kevinmcm wrote: »
    Always find the anti U2 vitriol spewed funny. You can taste the bitterness off the posts.

I can't understand it either.
    If people just said "I don't like U2's music and I don't like Bono" fair enough.

But some people just take their hatred of U2 to extremes. Instead of rationally explaining why they dislike U2 they just resort to shouting "ZOMG! TAX DODGING SCUM!" and listing off a list of childish and offensive personal jabs at Bono.

People criticising U2's music is fine, as long as they understand that that's their opinion and "U2 IZ SH!T, INNIT?" is NOT a solid music fact.

It's all so pointless: as if Bono is gonna wake up one day and think "I have millions of fans, loads of money and a loving family....but it's all worth nothing if internet warriors don't like me." :rolleyes:

Tbh I don't have much sympathy for the protestors. If you live near Croke Park, you should expect this kind of thing. If you don't like it, move.
    I live near Croke Park and said the same thing. They're hardly going to stop hosting events over a protest, it's a stadium ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I went to the Saturday night, amazing gig, the biggest band in the world on top form.....really made my weekend and cheered me up after a rough couple of days :)

Are U2 the most hated band in Ireland? Goin by Boards yes they are....do I care? Not a jot. Stuff the whingers.

Amazing indeed, best concert of my life.

Most hated according to boards.ie - well we've a very small minority of the thousends upon thousends of members bad mouthing 'em, based on fvck all tbh, but I seen 80k ++ on Saturday night have the absolute time of their lives.

I don't know about anyone else, but it filled me with pride to see so many flags from countries from accross Europe to South America and Asia whose people put aside political differences to absolutely party the arse's off here in Dublin to the music of the biggest and best rock band in the world.

For me it truely was a night to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Was just watchin a video from this on youtube; has anyone mentioned the Auld Triangle yet?

Now Bono; I admire him for having the courage to strive to be where he is to day, and his talent (his version of Springhill Mining Disaster was a revelation); but for God's sake... if you're gonna sing a sing, at least know half the words to it.

The intention behind it was nice - a tribute to Ronnie Drew, a lovely touch... but the version of the song was God-awful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

brummytom wrote: »
    Was just watchin a video from this on youtube; has anyone mentioned the Auld Triangle yet?

Now Bono; I admire him for having the courage to strive to be where he is to day, and his talent (his version of Springhill Mining Disaster was a revelation); but for God's sake... if you're gonna sing a sing, at least know half the words to it.

The intention behind it was nice - a tribute to Ronnie Drew, a lovely touch... but the version of the song was God-awful :(
    I thought you just make up the verses to that as you go along :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

I went to Springsteen too - he didn't kick off until 8 the night I went.
    He played for 3 hours, 20 minutes which was brilliant but he also got slapped with a fine for breaking the RDS's curfew.

True, U2 didn't NEED support acts. However, I'm sure Bell X1, The Script and the other support acts were hugely grateful for the oppurtunity. For some of those bands, it may be the only time they'll ever play to a crowd that big.

u2 are enjoyable but a springsteen concert...now that is rock and roll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

kevinmcm wrote: »

you licking the screen again?

Advertisement