Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 in croker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I've met people who've never heard of Led Zeppelin. Someone saying their friends in the US have never heard of Muse doesn't really mean anything to me.
    :eek: Great Googly Moogly

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ok in brief bullet point form -

3. Their style ranges from heavy guitar riffs and soaring vocals to quiet piano melodies (quite often in the same song).

4. Matt Bellamy is a self thought musician who, even if you don't like his style, is impossible to not recognise as a ridiculousy talented individual.

When asked in 2001 by MTV:
    "How do you guys feel about the fact that bands like Muse, Travis and Coldplay are making a career sounding exactly like your records did in 1997?"
    Yorke replied simply: "Good luck with Kid A."

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Honestly, people who make comparisons with Muse & Radiohead obviously don't have a clue about either band.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Honestly, people who make comparisons with Muse & Radiohead obviously don't have a clue about either band.

Or prefab sprout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

Was at it last night. They put on a good spectacle (moving video screens, lighting, all that). It would seriously have been great if it had been true 360 so I really think it was a shame that it wasn't. Overall it didn't blow me away, can't put my finger on why. Missed BellX1 which annoyed me, was really hoping to miss The Script instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Wibbs wrote: »
    Angus Young is a bloody great guitar player. I fcukin love the lad's riffing. You are dead right, he is one of the best guitarists in rock history, never mind today. He is of a type though. Now he has his signature sound, but it's a variation on a theme of classic rock guitarists.

Now the edge. Technically great guitar player? Nope(though he's more of a right handed player, great attack and rhythm). Difficult to copy? Nope. But and it's a huge but, no one and I mean no one sounds like him until after they've heard him. Ordinary? Really? He is one of the few guitar players in rock history that you can say that about. He is probably one of the most original axeman in rock too. He created his own sound. You can trace some of his evolution to people like Tom Verlaine of Television, but he took it in an entirely different direction. Eric Clapton? Yea very original if you hadn't heard of Buddy Guy and a rake of other blues Guitar players. In fairness to Eric he acknowledges it too.
    I know this will raise hackles but I would put the Edge fella up there with Hendrix. Not for technical ability but for creating an original sound all his own. The very second he cranks up, you know who it is. He doesn't sound like anyone else.

BTW all this crap about effects. Yea great argument, Angus uses them, Eric used them, Jimi couldn't get enough of them(wah wah pedal, fuzztone, "tuned" marshall amps, phasers, echo pedals). Unless you want to stick them all in a room and play nylon string spanish guitars that's no argument. I'll give anyone Jimi's gear and see where they take it, ditto for Angus'. It still won't be them and they still won;t come up with new riffs. Exactly the same for the edge. It's called the electric guitar for good reason.

The other thing I like about him is he is measured as a guitar player. Great article in the sunday times about George Harrison recently, where the writer put forward the case that George was one of the greatest guitar players in rock history. He was measured and everything he did added to the song and the sound and the band(even more impressive seeing as he started off in skiffle and ended up in the "Guitar hero" endless riffing era). No fluff, no extra padding. Rare. The writer made a great point; can you imagine any Beatles song with a different guitar part or guitar player?

You can say exactly the same about the edge. Like the songs or them, or not, but without him it simply wouldn't be a U2 song. Think of a U2 song and I would put good money the first musical bit that enters your head is that guys guitar riff. You could replace Angus Young with some of his generation, it wouldn't be quite the same, but it wouldn't be that different. Hendrix would be a charm(that's how much I respect Angus BTW)Who would replace the edge? The bloke from Coldplay, edge lite? He's ripped him off after the fact too. Matthew Bellamy? Good guitar player and has the no fluff harrison vibe to him, so hopefully they keep going, but it wouldn't be within sniffing distance of a "U2 song".

Sheesh I'm not even a fan and I can objectively see that. Even more sheesh I'm defending them!!! :eek::o:D Then again I never got the buzz from the Floyd, but I would defend their place in musical history in a heartbeat.

ac/dc are a garrage band made good , thier a joke band , quientesential hairs arsed rockers whos fans are meat heads , they,ve been churning out the same song and ( DANCE ) for 30 years , thier is more depth to the band AQUA

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

irish_bob wrote: »
    ac/dc are a garrage band made good , thier a joke band , they,ve been churning out the same song and ( DANCE ) for 30 years , thier is more depth to the band AQUA

Would you go away out of that with yer nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

irish_bob wrote: »
    ac/dc are a garrage band made good , thier a joke band , they,ve been churning out the same song and ( DANCE ) for 30 years , thier is more depth to the band AQUA

:rolleyes:

Ah shurrup, they wipe the floor with U2....

Im not looking for 'depth' in a band, pretentious crap. Im lookin for a band that can tear my head off with noise and not lecture me on boring world issues while churning out their jingly jangly middle of the road nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

Did they replace turf for the concert? Or was it different story?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

:rolleyes:

Ah shurrup, they wipe the floor with U2....

Im not looking for 'depth' in a band, pretentious crap. Im lookin for a band that can tear my head off with noise and not lecture me on boring world issues while churning out their jingly jangly middle of the road nonsense.

Meet Rammstein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

Tony255 wrote: »
    Anyone go to see them last night, love them or hate them based on last nights performance they have cemented themselves as the best band in the world in my view nobody can come close in terms of live performances. The claw is mental, Kaiser Chiefs were also brilliant he is like a young bono just as mental. Not sure if it was just me or not but bono didnt seem to make use of the stage as much as he used to maybe old age is catching up.

I paid the nearly €300 for 2 tickets, bought legit through ticketmaster and i thought they were expensive, that thought went out the window after they came on, totally worth it. They completely blasted away the vertigo tour, just keep getting better and better.

Well done lads.

haha!
    as others have said Bruce Springsteen + the E street band ...

way ahead ... and they don't need to talk to Astronauts to jazz up the show ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Comparing AC/DC with U2 is like comparing a 69 Dodge Charger with a 97Toyota Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I just heard Bono talking on the news about that one that got the award. He's an awful prat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Bandit12 wrote: »
    got a free ticket and headed down to the gig last night. If i could describe it in one word that word would be Meh.

True that!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Comparing AC/DC with U2 is like comparing a 69 Dodge Charger with a 97Toyota Corolla.
    The louder one cant turn corners :confused:

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Went last night. I'm not a U2 fan.
    A few things were clear -
    €130 for a ticket
    Massive stage (is that going to be recycled at the end of the tour?)
    Off the stage at 23.00 to the second.
    Very little banter with the crowd, apart from some Amnesty thing about Aung Saan Su Kyi (sp?)
    Collection points for Amnesty all around Croke Park. Could U2 donate some of the €130 I paid for a ticket to Amnesty maybe?

U2 are a business, not a band!

All in all I thought it was good, not great. There were some good moments where everybody held up their phones and when people were singing but other than that, you could pick up most of the atmosphere from their soon to be released (I'm sure) DVD.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I just heard Bono talking on the news about that one that got the award. He's an awful prat.

I went to the gig last night. Good gig, but he's the cheesiest front man ever. It's almost so cheesy it's funny. Not in a cool way either. All the fans were lapping it up as if he was a genius! The lyrics for a song (think it was unknown caller) came up on the big screen and we laughed they were so bad!
    If Alan Partridge was a singer he'd be bono.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Fooz wrote: »
    Was at it last night. They put on a good spectacle (moving video screens, lighting, all that). It would seriously have been great if it had been true 360 so I really think it was a shame that it wasn't. Overall it didn't blow me away, can't put my finger on why. Missed BellX1 which annoyed me, was really hoping to miss The Script instead.

My feelings exactly.

The louder one cant turn corners :confused:

What do you mean? Of course it can go around corners. Turn the steering wheel and point the car!

• Advertisement

What do you mean? Of course it can go around corners. Turn the steering wheel and point the car!
    Depends how fast youre going. Theyre not exactly the most manuverable things ever created

Depends how fast youre going. Theyre not exactly the most manuverable things ever created

So what? They're cool. Toyota Corollas aren't. That's the point

So what? They're cool. Toyota Corollas aren't. That's the point
    Well if everything was judged purely on how cool they are we'd be pretty fcuked right now :p

Well if everything was judged purely on how cool they are we'd be pretty fcuked right now :p

Speak for yourself. I'd be grand:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Not on Irish roads they're not but they were built for wide motorways in the States.

Pure animal sound out of the 8 litre engine.....its a beast....the sound of it thrills me through and through!!!

Anyway
    U2 are a business, not a band!

Exactly. Their music has ceased to excite or interest. Its just lowest common denominator tedium. The true band died a death years ago. Should have slipped away gracefully instead of desperately trying to cling to its one time glory.

Sad and embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Nobody hates like the Irish, pat on the back all round.

U2 were brilliant, say what you want about their egos and personal agendas - The fact remains U2 are an amazing live act.

Yes all the political BS is annoying but ask yourself, what harm is it ?

And for those complaining about the price of the tickets - do you guys know what it costs to put on a show like that, at least u2 put the profits back into the show - nobody else does that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Was there on Friday and Saturday nights. In the cusack lower beside stage on Friday and in pit on Saturday. It was nice to get the two perspectives.

Both nights were top class, great songs and great performances.

The anti-U2 ****e is just typical Irish begrudgery and I doubt the band give a toss what some nobody on a message boards or anywhere else thinks of them.

At the end of the day they are part of one of the greatest rock bands ever, have made millions from doing what they love and 30 years after setting out can still fill any stadium in the world with a ridiculously huge and loyal fanbase.

The begrudgers can talk when they've achieved all that :pac:

As for Bono's political stuff.... who here has tried as hard as he has to make a difference to the less fortunate in this world. At least he has used his celebrity to do a bit og good, and the guy has achieved a lot in this respect. Yeah he drones on a bit but who here is perfect ?

As for the tax thing, who here wouldn't do the same given half the chance ? I would.

I am immensly proud to be a U2 fan. Here is a group of lads from our small country who went out conquered the world with their music, not many have done this.

As I said the begrudgers can talk when they've achieved what U2 have.

This weekend I had a ball at two great concerts. The begrudgers just had a good old negative moan ! I know who I'd rather be.

Great gigs at the weekend. This guy has fantastic decent quality vids on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/U2006com#grid/uploads

Enjoy.

Ps. Kaiser Chiefs were top class on Saturday night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The anti-U2 ****e is just typical Irish begrudgery and I doubt the band give a toss what some nobody on a message boards or anywhere else thinks of them.

Because someone does not agree with you does not make them a begrudger. Why are you begrudging people the right to like different things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Because someone does not agree with you does not make them a begrudger. Why are you begrudging people the right to like different things?

People can whinge, moan, begrudge, slag and be negative all they like, I never said anything to the contrary.

But while these people were whinging, moaning, begrudging and being negative nearly a quarter of a million people were having a ball in Croker watching these 4 guys doing what they love most. Just saying, I prefer to be with the people having a ball.

If you don't kike U2, great, you just whine and be negative as much as you want. Free country.

I just say screw the begrudgers, let them moan and the rest of us will concentrate on having fun.

I think Bono himself summed it up best on Saturday night when he said something along the lines of :

"We had a great night last night but we're going to top that tonight. I know somepeople would like us to top ourselves. That would make some people happy ! But they're not here tonight.......... you are !"

Damn right, let the moaners moan, the rest of us will just enjoy ourselves instead !

Advertisement