Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 in croker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what the biggest gig muse have played here?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

what the biggest gig muse have played here?
    Marley Park last year or I guess you could count Oxegen (Do festivals count since theyres noway to tell how many went to see them?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

U2 got the name "The best band in the world" for being ****e according to alot of people in this thread

On a side note i dont like Muse`s "Music" either and i strongly doubt they`ll be around in 25 years, let alone 5.

U2 ceased being a good band a good 10 years ago. You only had to look at the fans walking up to the gig. Sheeple who hadn't a clue about music.
    Spanish and Italian women, japanese tourists and grey haired aul fellas in too short tulip line jeans.

So, spanish and italian women and japanese tourists all know nothing about music. That's a pretty sweeping statement. Almost a quarter of a million people will see them here in Dublin over the 3 nights. It's pretty ignorant to say none of them know anything about music.

Marley Park last year or I guess you could count Oxegen (Do festivals count since theyres noway to tell how many went to see them?)

fairly recent then not bad, glad they've got a good showing here

ok then we get into a discussion if marley park is good enough for muse

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    U2 got the name "The best band in the world" for being ****e according to alot of people in this thread

On a side note i dont like Muse`s "Music" either and i strongly doubt they`ll be around in 25 years, let alone 5.

ah more nighttime vids when our concerts are in daytime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I saw them on Friday and thought they were amazing. I hadn't seen them before and have liked them for years (not so keen on the new album) but they blew me away. Had great seats surrounded by sound people loving the gig as much as we were. The stage was simply stunning, as was the light show. This photo is a bit blurry but it give you an idea of what it was like...

U2036_stitch.jpg

One of the best live gigs I've ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

I love U2. I also love Muse too and will be going to see them as well as U2. Its OK to like both. I like lots of bands and go to lots of gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Muse would've put on a better show on a wooden stage in the local Gah field than U2 in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Neo# wrote: »
    I love U2. I also love Muse too and will be going to see them as well as U2. Its OK to like both. I like lots of bands and go to lots of gigs.

liking two different bands or two different varieties of music [does not compute] :D

kids today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I wouldnt describe them as that.
    I would say theyre the biggest active band in the world though
    They're the most commerical, but yet since 1980, they've done absolutely nothing for music. Its the same ****e being belted out since day 1. Im just waiting for the day U2 open a shop on Grafton Street to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I wouldnt describe them as that.
    I would say theyre the biggest active band in the world though

I'd agree on that (friend of mine tried to argue it was Coldplay :D), they've gone a bit downhill in recent days though. Still gotta say i'm still a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Mus - and the Royal Albert Hall.

I've an album of Status Qou live at the Royal Albert Hall, so ya - Muse must be pretty good.

***late edit.

I've just listened to some Muse on youtube, pretty damn good 70's rock sound - me likes 'em alot!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Im just waiting for the day U2 open a shop on Grafton Street to be honest.

Why, you don't even like them.

Thats silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ok in brief bullet point form -

1. Muse are a three piece from Devon - Matt Bellamy (Vocals, guitar, piano), Chris Wolstenholme (Bass, backing vocals, odd bit of guitar) and Dom Howard (Drums)

2. Debut album 'Showbiz' released in 1999. Followed by 'Origin of Symmetry' (2001), 'Absolution' (2003) and 'Black Holes and Revelations' (2006). Have released two live albums and three dvds.

3. Their style ranges from heavy guitar riffs and soaring vocals to quiet piano melodies (quite often in the same song).

4. Matt Bellamy is a self thought musician who, even if you don't like his style, is impossible to not recognise as a ridiculousy talented individual.

5. They are renowned worldwide for their epic live performances and shows, with highlights including headline sets at Glastonbury, Wembley Stadium, and the Royal Albert Hall.

Definitely worth at least a look imo (though they are my favourite band so I would say that!)

Worldwide?? Really?? Judging from all my American and Aussie mates who have never heard of them I would have to pull you up on that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Please NEVER mention AC/DC and u2 again in the same sentance.

The Edge is not fit to lick the boots of Angus Young who is the best guitarist on the planet today.

The Edge is just ordinary. U2 ceased being a good band a good 10 years ago. You only had to look at the fans walking up to the gig. Sheeple who hadn't a clue about music.
    Angus Young is a bloody great guitar player. I fcukin love the lad's riffing. You are dead right, he is one of the best guitarists in rock history, never mind today. He is of a type though. Now he has his signature sound, but it's a variation on a theme of classic rock guitarists.

Now the edge. Technically great guitar player? Nope(though he's more of a right handed player, great attack and rhythm). Difficult to copy? Nope. But and it's a huge but, no one and I mean no one sounds like him until after they've heard him. Ordinary? Really? He is one of the few guitar players in rock history that you can say that about. He is probably one of the most original axeman in rock too. He created his own sound. You can trace some of his evolution to people like Tom Verlaine of Television, but he took it in an entirely different direction. Eric Clapton? Yea very original if you hadn't heard of Buddy Guy and a rake of other blues Guitar players. In fairness to Eric he acknowledges it too.

I know this will raise hackles but I would put the Edge fella up there with Hendrix. Not for technical ability but for creating an original sound all his own. The very second he cranks up, you know who it is. He doesn't sound like anyone else.

BTW all this crap about effects. Yea great argument, Angus uses them, Eric used them, Jimi couldn't get enough of them(wah wah pedal, fuzztone, "tuned" marshall amps, phasers, echo pedals). Unless you want to stick them all in a room and play nylon string spanish guitars that's no argument. I'll give anyone Jimi's gear and see where they take it, ditto for Angus'. It still won't be them and they still won;t come up with new riffs. Exactly the same for the edge. It's called the electric guitar for good reason.

The other thing I like about him is he is measured as a guitar player. Great article in the sunday times about George Harrison recently, where the writer put forward the case that George was one of the greatest guitar players in rock history. He was measured and everything he did added to the song and the sound and the band(even more impressive seeing as he started off in skiffle and ended up in the "Guitar hero" endless riffing era). No fluff, no extra padding. Rare. The writer made a great point; can you imagine any Beatles song with a different guitar part or guitar player?

You can say exactly the same about the edge. Like the songs or them, or not, but without him it simply wouldn't be a U2 song. Think of a U2 song and I would put good money the first musical bit that enters your head is that guys guitar riff. You could replace Angus Young with some of his generation, it wouldn't be quite the same, but it wouldn't be that different. Hendrix would be a charm(that's how much I respect Angus BTW)Who would replace the edge? The bloke from Coldplay, edge lite? He's ripped him off after the fact too. Matthew Bellamy? Good guitar player and has the no fluff harrison vibe to him, so hopefully they keep going, but it wouldn't be within sniffing distance of a "U2 song".

Sheesh I'm not even a fan and I can objectively see that. Even more sheesh I'm defending them!!! :eek::o:D Then again I never got the buzz from the Floyd, but I would defend their place in musical history in a heartbeat.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Worldwide?? Really?? Judging from all my American and Aussie mates who have never heard of them I would have to pull you up on that.

Seeing as I live in Australia and have seen them twice over here (sold out gigs btw) I'm pretty sure I'm in touch with the Aussie music scene enough to know how well they're known and received.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I was at the gig on Friday, It was good but not great, I've seen them 5 times, Joshua Tree, Zoo, Pop, Vertigo and Friday. I'd say Zoo was the best and Vertigo second best. I was too young to know all the songs for Joshua - I was only ten. and Pop had very poor sound, but a great show.
    The new songs aren't good enough compared to the old songs. That and there were a load of young ones sitting near us who weren't born when the Joshua tree came out.

I didn't see what all the hype about teh stage was for, I mean it was big but as U2 stages go fairly basic. Metalica set twopeople on fire for me in the Point for £17.50 back in the the day. That's entertaining your fans.

Best gig I was ever act I was ever at was Pearl Jam in the Point in 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Just back from tonights gig.

I thought they were epic, my first time seeing them.

And whether you liked them or not, the stage and lights were unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Just back from tonights gig.

I thought they were epic, my first time seeing them.

And whether you liked them or not, the stage and lights were unreal

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Jimmybump

any fans no the song they sang (MONDAY SHOW) were the lyrics came up on the screen as OH OH ! i was fairly drunk but bono's lyrics were like "Enter your name" "Password Is Here" i no this isnt alot to go on but someone may no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭randypriest

Jimmybump wrote: »
    any fans no the song they sang (MONDAY SHOW) were the lyrics came up on the screen as OH OH ! i was fairly drunk but bono's lyrics were like "Enter your name" "Password Is Here" i no this isnt alot to go on but someone may no ?

Its "Unknown Caller" off No Line on the Horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Jimmybump

good bless you man !

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭randypriest

Jimmybump wrote: »
    good bless you man !

No problem, just back from the gig myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Wibbs wrote: »
    Angus Young is a bloody great guitar player. I fcukin love the lad's riffing. You are dead right, he is one of the best guitarists in rock history, never mind today. He is of a type though. Now he has his signature sound, but it's a variation on a theme of classic rock guitarists. ..

Sheesh I'm not even a fan and I can objectively see that. Even more sheesh I'm defending them!!! :eek::o:D Then again I never got the buzz from the Floyd, but I would defend their place in musical history in a heartbeat.

Wibbs.... you the man!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Please NEVER mention AC/DC and u2 again in the same sentance.

The Edge is not fit to lick the boots of Angus Young who is the best guitarist on the planet today.

The Edge is just ordinary. U2 ceased being a good band a good 10 years ago. You only had to look at the fans walking up to the gig. Sheeple who hadn't a clue about music.

Spanish and Italian women, japanese tourists and grey haired aul fellas in too short tulip line jeans.

1. What defines the best guitar player on the planet? Accuracy, imagination? If it's the former, I can think of many classical guitarists who would beat both The Edge and Angus Young into smithereens. If it's the latter, I can still think of people who would beat both. Comparing guitarists like that is like comparing beers; some like them crisp, some like them wholesome, some like them fruity like Marilyn Monroe.

2. If The Edge is so ordinary, how were U2 a good band 10 years ago?

3. I was one of the people walking up to the gig. I wasn't a sheep. I fancied a night out. Not a fan per se, but I know music. And I know that they can make music. Mightn't be my preferred choice, but hell, they make music.

4. I'm not Spanish, I'm just a girl, not yet a woman, my eyes ain't squinty and I'm blonde, young and my jeans ain't tulip line, they're Dandelion.

Mmm, hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

got a free ticket and headed down to the gig last night. If i could describe it in one word that word would be Meh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Get new friends. They're obviously idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Get new friends. They're obviously idiots.
    Or Muse arn't as big as you want to believe

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Or Muse arn't as big as you want to believe
    I've met people who've never heard of Led Zeppelin. Someone saying their friends in the US have never heard of Muse doesn't really mean anything to me.

Advertisement