Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Is there space for more services between Heuston and Connolly at rush hour?

Possibly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,291 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there space for more services between Heuston and Connolly at rush hour?

If you're prepared to significantly choke off north-south bus traffic (and cars, but from a PT perspective) there are probably a few spare tramcars available...

Considering they were able to lend a few 3000/4000 series to the Green line before the extra 5000s arrived; but they may not have liked running the fleet that intensively.

Imagine what this would be like if the park tunnel hadn't opened and you had all those commuters landing at Heuston still looking to head in to the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The LUAS was never a solution to structural mass transit needs in Dublin. It’s been a good service, but it’s a decade and a half in and inevitably approaching max capacity.

Metro and DART Underground should have been built decades ago, as per their original conceptions and feasibility studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭p_haugh

loyatemu wrote: »
    They expected this when the Luas was built and put in a terminus platform at Heuston for a shuttle service to Connolly. What happened to that?
    That’s still a thing, however I don’t think it’s all the frequent

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Luas needs much higher priority between Heuston and Connolly. Trams sit for several minutes at traffic lights which should never happen. Trams should not even slow down for lights as the lights should anticipate their arrival.

• Advertisement

The Luas needs much higher priority between Heuston and Connolly. Trams sit for several minutes at traffic lights which should never happen. Trams should not even slow down for lights as the lights should anticipate their arrival.

as mentioned above, a number of the junctions it crosses are major bus routes (plus the Green line at OCS and Marlborough St.). The one that regularly annoys me is Gardiner St. - it often gets held there while cars go through the junction.

When I was in Cologne many years ago I remember them cut-and-covering sections of the tram network to improve capacity. I wonder if that could ever happen with the Red Line at OCS?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

as mentioned above, a number of the junctions it crosses are major bus routes (plus the Green line at OCS and Marlborough St.). The one that regularly annoys me is Gardiner St. - it often gets held there while cars go through the junction.

When I was in Cologne many years ago I remember them cut-and-covering sections of the tram network to improve capacity. I wonder if that could ever happen with the Red Line at OCS?

I understand that, but it takes the same time (longer actually) for a tram to cross OCS if it does not gets priority than if it does.

When the signal goes green, only one tram can cross at a time but many buses can go at one time. This is the nature of trams, so priority does not affect capacity for buses.

Dart trains get priority at level crossings because that is essential for safety. Trams need priority so they travel faster and it will not affect other traffic. [Obviously it needs proper design].

I understand that, but it takes the same time (longer actually) for a tram to cross OCS if it does not gets priority than if it does.

presumably you want better priority so they can run at higher frequency, which would affect traffic on the other street. I'm not entirely disagreeing, it seems mad to build a system for hundreds of millions euros and then have it sit at traffic lights.

presumably you want better priority so they can run at higher frequency, which would affect traffic on the other street. I'm not entirely disagreeing, it seems mad to build a system for hundreds of millions euros and then have it sit at traffic lights.

Let us begin with faster service.

Obviously, a faster service would allow a more frequent service, which in non busy times would not cause problems. In busy times, there are other measures that could mitigate the extra trams, like removal of some cars from the city centre, and the removal of some on street parking.

More enforcement of traffic laws would be more effective for traffic flow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

can they not put longer trams on? or is there an issue regarding increasing the luas platform lengths on that line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Idbatterim wrote: »
    can they not put longer trams on? or is there an issue regarding increasing the luas platform lengths on that line?
    I believe there would be issues with longer trams around St. James’s Hospital and also outside Bus Aras due to how tight the bends are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

p_haugh wrote: »
    I believe there would be issues with longer trams around St. James’s Hospital and also outside Bus Aras due to how tight the bends are.

curves are not a problem for trams.

extending the platforms at Jervis could be an issue (this is really going off-topic, but I guess there's not much actually happening with the Dart Expansion).

well given that nothing will happen with the DU tunnel , if ever! Surely they either have to lengthen the platforms and trams or improve the speed to increase capacity?

Large amount get out at jervis, turning back there or before it hits OCS isnt an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Isn't this kind of off-topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Moral question - should improving existing DART infrastructure be prioritised over expanding the network (e.g. should the dualling of track from Bray to Greystones be carried out before expanding DART services to Dunshaughlin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

ncounties wrote: »
    Moral question - should improving existing DART infrastructure be prioritised over expanding the network (e.g. should the dualling of track from Bray to Greystones be carried out before expanding DART services to Dunshaughlin)?

Right now the main priority from a heavy rail investment perspective should be completing the city centre re-signalling project (the final phase is focussed on Connolly), electrifying the lines to Maynooth and Hazelhatch, and delivering real capacity enhancements on the northern line.

Then and only then should the rest follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭prunudo

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Right now the main priority from a heavy rail investment perspective should be completing the city centre re-signalling project (the final phase is focussed on Connolly), electrifying the lines to Maynooth and Hazelhatch, and delivering real capacity enhancements on the northern line.

Exactly, while its welcome to hear they will possibly upgrade Bray to Greystones, there's no point doubling the capacity here to the detriment of the service further north.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

LXFlyer wrote: »

Not sure how reliable this is but should be completed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Not really cost overruns , added more things to their shopping list is a more accurate description

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sorry if this has come up already I'm sure it has. I've been doing some lessons in Sandymount the past few weeks and cycling from city centre I get stuck at Sandymount dart station road crossing on the way there and back pretty much every time.
    Can they not have some kind of a bridge or underpass in this day and age? Or at least something for pedestrians and bikes? Or is there a reason they want this so as to keep traffic off this road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Qrt

Sorry if this has come up already I'm sure it has. I've been doing some lessons in Sandymount the past few weeks and cycling from city centre I get stuck at Sandymount dart station road crossing on the way there and back pretty much every time.
    Can they not have some kind of a bridge or underpass in this day and age? Or at least something for pedestrians and bikes? Or is there a reason they want this so as to keep traffic off this road?

There’s a pedestrian underpass in the station, behind the gate line. Though I think the underpass could be divided with a separate entrance that brings you down avoiding the gate line but I’m not sure.

Qrt wrote: »
    There’s a pedestrian underpass in the station, behind the gate line. Though I think the underpass could be divided with a separate entrance that brings you down avoiding the gate line but I’m not sure.

Yeah you still need a ticket to get through though, so it's not much use to people passing by. Oh right I just understood what you meant. Yeah it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not really cost overruns , added more things to their shopping list is a more accurate description

There is some cost overrun and it won't be the last...I would maybe add another 500 million by time its finished.

dont built it when times are "bad" when it would be far cheaper to build and we could keep skilled people here, because we dont have the money. The good times come, dont build it, because its more expensive and we need a hundred public consulatations, before the **** all comes crashing back down again :rolleyes::mad:

take a route that doesn't involve the level crossing? There are bridges under the line closer to the city centre. You can also cycle under it along the Dodder beside Lansdowne Rd.

take a route that doesn't involve the level crossing? There are bridges under the line closer to the city centre. You can also cycle under it along the Dodder beside Lansdowne Rd.

I'll look at a map now, my usual route is via ballsbridge then down sandymount ave

I'll look at a map now, my usual route is via ballsbridge then down sandymount ave

if you hang a left immediately after the bridge in Ballsbridge there's a path that will bring you out on Herbert Road. Just be careful going under the railway itself as it's a narrow passage, probably best to walk that bit.

https://goo.gl/maps/RBP45JsZUbCTwaUn7

Alternatively go down Bath avenue which might be quicker:

https://goo.gl/maps/ks1xw3KxLCrXXV436

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

There are also risks that the cost could rise higher with concerns that relocating the existing Docklands rail station to Spencer Dock, which is under consideration by the National Transport Authority, could add at least €100 million to the final bill.

I am assuming they are talking about reopening North Wall station? I didn't realise this was being considered seriously. I certainly hope it is.

Advertisement