Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ncounties wrote: »
    I was looking at Google Maps (Satelite View) recently, and I noticed how there is so much green fields right up to Main Street Naas, and I wondered, as a town of 22k+ people, and with almost a blank canvas to it's NW for development, would it not make sense to extend the DART to here eventually.

I really don't believe that extending the DART to Hazelhatch will benefit the M7 a great deal, and Naas is a big contributor to traffic volumes on the route, and to me it just smacks of common sense.

It would require less than four kilometres of rail line (and 16km of electrification from Hazelhatch), but with a little demolition, you could have a DART station on Naas Main Street. You could even add a P&R at Junction 9.

Thoughts?

You should check out the old Naas alignment that brougth the railway into the town, the Tesco and Maxol on the dublin road are located where the station was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You should check out the old Naas alignment that brougth the railway into the town, the Tesco and Maxol on the dublin road are located where the station was.

Are you saying there is no alignment to get a Railway into the main street in Naas?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Are you saying there is no alignment to get a Railway into the main street in Naas?

I think BonnieSituation is just highlighting that there was an alignment originally into Naas, which no longer exists. This was in response to my suggested route, given current development, approaching the main street from the NW.

ncounties wrote: »
    I think BonnieSituation is just highlighting that there was an alignment originally into Naas, which no longer exists. This was in response to my suggested route, given current development, approaching the main street from the NW.

Indeed I was. :)

And for those that don't like clicking:
    498289.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Irish Times have an article up on the Dart Expansion, which is hilariously behind the times. It seems to be based on the Engineers Ireland presentation from months and months ago, and they've warm it up and served it as fresh news.

See here, but don't be expecting to read anything you didn't already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,069 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Times (the remaining shell of the Irish version) claim today that IE are 200m short for this and are proposing kicking the Hazelhatch and Northern lines down the road unless more money comes along; just proceeding with Maynooth/M3.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    The Times (the remaining shell of the Irish version) claim today that IE are 200m short for this and are proposing kicking the Hazelhatch and Northern lines down the road unless more money comes along; just proceeding with Maynooth/M3.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lack-of-funds-could-push-dart-expansion-off-rails-52ggvrzc9

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Seems a bit mad that in a €2.3 bn scheme they are considering scrapping 2/3ds of the scheme for want of 2/300 mil

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Talk about bad timing for FG!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

marno21 wrote: »

so CIE can't find/fund about 10% of the capital costs... so let's scrap the whole lot.

joke of an organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

absolutely insane! €200,000,000 is nothing! Might aswell shelve it over €20! billions for the rural broadband scheme though! Every budget vast sums can be found for all sorts of crap! Except transport!

they have very valuable land at heuston. Sell it off and the air rights! no better time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wonder are they putting it up to the politicians and any prospective government, give us more money or your constituents won't thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

prunudo wrote: »
    Wonder are they putting it up to the politicians and any prospective government, give us more money or your constituents won't thank you.

take out paid ads in those areas, if that is their intention!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Idbatterim wrote: »
    absolutely insane! €200,000,000 is nothing! Might aswell shelve it over €20! billions for the rural broadband scheme though! Every budget vast sums can be found for all sorts of crap! Except transport!

they have very valuable land at heuston. Sell it off and the air rights! no better time!

yeah, fantastic idea, sell off more land for more or less no gain and hem the railway in more and prevent expansion. it's worked soooooooooo well in the past like.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Jesus Christ I thought it was bad enough that it did NOTHING for the N7 corridor (Sallins, Naas, etc.) but this is a complete and utter failure. That DART line to Celbridge is years overdue and if the government can’t even achieve that, then I don’t know how they’re going to build a metro hahahaha. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

yeah, fantastic idea, sell off more land for more or less no gain and hem the railway in more and prevent expansion. it's worked soooooooooo well in the past like.

The future of any railway expansion in Dublin city centre is underground, not overground.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Depressing but sadly no longer surprising. Today the federal government here (Germany) announced a contract with the Bahn to invest 86 billion in infrastructure improvements.

Having said that, the German basic law (constitution) states:

4) The Federation shall ensure that, in developing and maintaining the federal railway system as well as in offering services over this system, other than local passenger services, due account is taken of the interests and especially the transportation needs of the public. Details shall be regulated by a federal law.

(Federation here means federal government).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

presumably no coincidence that IR are making this claim as the election kicks off.

Time to give out to canvassers and candidates, the next govt has to prioritise public transport. This was the Luas this morning, the city is grinding to a halt and literally nothing is currently under construction:

luas.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

I think this is a clever ruse by Irish Rail to be honest. It passes the overcrowding and poor services onto the lap of the politicians. This is how rail commuting becomes a political issue.

This is how we got the DART to begin with. The famous 'with the aid of a screwdriver' comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

5 Years after announcing the Dart expansion to Maynooth and the Northern Line, they are only now saying they are short money and say the completion is now 2028?

September 25th 2015 - Dart to be extended to Balbriggan by 2022
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dart-to-be-extended-to-balbriggan-by-2022-1.2361505

So instead of 2022, we are here at the start of 2020 with not a single bit of cable having been put up for the expansion.

If that's not disheartening, I don't know what is.

MrAbyss wrote: »
    I think this is a clever ruse by Irish Rail to be honest. It passes the overcrowding and poor services onto the lap of the politicians. This is how rail commuting becomes a political issue.

This is how we got the DART to begin with. The famous 'with the aid of a screwdriver' comment.

What was that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What was that all about?

It refers to the state of the push-pull stock used prior to DART.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/dart-at-the-heart-of-dublin-culture-1.73425

That link should explain all.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    It refers to the state of the push-pull stock used prior to DART.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/dart-at-the-heart-of-dublin-culture-1.73425

That link should explain all.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

loyatemu wrote: »
    presumably no coincidence that IR are making this claim as the election kicks off.

Time to give out to canvassers and candidates, the next govt has to prioritise public transport. This was the Luas this morning, the city is grinding to a halt and literally nothing is currently under construction:

luas.jpg
    I agree, this is beyond a joke!

That picture from Heuston is hardly surprising.

Loads of people coming in by train to join a tram system but almost nobody getting off the tram to switch to the train or for local employment.

Only surprising thing it's taken so long to be a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭prunudo

That picture also tells me that we really are a slave to our 'smart phones'.

But back to the congestion and overcrowding, the politicians don't care, thats why we have no public transport being built and chronic underfunding.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

prunudo wrote: »
    That picture also tells me that we really are a slave to our 'smart phones'.

But back to the congestion and overcrowding, the politicians don't care, thats why we have no public transport being built and chronic underfunding.

can only see four people on their phones

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Zebra3 wrote: »
    That picture from Heuston is hardly surprising.

Loads of people coming in by train to join a tram system but almost nobody getting off the tram to switch to the train or for local employment.

Only surprising thing it's taken so long to be a major issue.

They expected this when the Luas was built and put in a terminus platform at Heuston for a shuttle service to Connolly. What happened to that?

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    They expected this when the Luas was built and put in a terminus platform at Heuston for a shuttle service to Connolly. What happened to that?

Is there space for more services between Heuston and Connolly at rush hour?

Advertisement