Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

That should be a great final. The two main events to finish the blocks the last two shows were incredible. Omega and Okada wrestled at a ferocious pace, the match was like a 25 minute closing stretch. Some of my favourite matches from the tournament along with those two are: Naito vs Ibushi; Okada vs Elgin; Tanahashi vs Ishii and Suzuki vs Okada.

Okada has been sensational all tournament, he should get all the awards going at the end of the year. I don't know much about the career of Yuji Nagata, but the stuff after his match with Fale was so well done I was even getting emotional watching it. Just brilliant pro wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SarahVOW

Lad's I'm thinking of going to Japan in January not nailed on or anything just musing at the moment but If I do what's the chances of just rocking up at the Tokyo Dome for the January 4th event and getting a ticket at the door or is Wrestle Kingdom a sell in advance?

Just saw this. It won't sell out the Tokyo Dome is huge. When I was there I got a walk up ticket for the baseball from a stall outside.

You will be able to buy em online beforehand and in Lawson Supermarkets over there. They have a machine in store you can play around with.

Try and see a show in Korakuen hall too, it right beside the Tokyo Dome. Probably my favourite place I've ever watched wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Anyone heading to the ROH War of the Worlds shows next week? I'll be at the Liverpool date alright, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Katsuyori Shibata
    made his first appearance since April.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Anyone heading to the ROH War of the Worlds shows next week? I'll be at the Liverpool date alright, looking forward to it.
    Nah, but I am heading over to see Rev Pro Wrestling's Summer Sizzler. Gonna get to see Jushin Liger live for the first time, which is pretty cool really.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Katsuyori Shibata
    made his first appearance since April.

That was such a beautiful moment when he came out. The reaction of the crowd was unreal.

I'm still buzzing after that Omega/Naito final. I watched it live with the English commentary, then rewatched it later in the day with the Japanese commentary. They had my favourite match of last year in the final night of the blocks, and this match was even better. Amazing that Omega had two five star matches in less than 24 hours. The crowd added so much to the match as well, incredible atmosphere through the whole match.

That Jr tag match was fantastic as well. The Bucks are killing it in njpw this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,880 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Would never really watch the Japanese stuff but watched the last couple nights.

Great matches from what I saw. So strange having so little talking.

Dunno how either of those guys were able to walk out of that final match. A lot of those moves looked vicious. And that piledriver on the table spot did not look healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Apparently the botched pile-driver on the table, and the slip into the turnbuckle, were both pre planned (in Naito v Omega). That's taking it to a whole new level - working a botch. I will not at all surprised if this match breaks the 5 star barrier.

The turn buckle slip looked like a botch at first but when I watched again, I thought it was meant to happen. And not to say they couldn't if it was a botch, but they covered for it brilliantly

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought botch too, but according to Meltzer both spots were planned. Consider yourself worked!

Wow - 5 stars for Tanahashi Naito, 6 stars for Omega Okada and 5.75 stars for Omega Naito!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's been an incredible G1 in terms of quality wrestling. For me Naito/Omega was as good as, if not better than Okada/Omega III. But that's just nitpicking really.

Btw Tanahashi adds another 5* match to his collection. But he gets this one having wrestled the entire tournament with a torn bicep. Ace of the Universe indeed.

So who's next to head for wwe?

CastorTroy wrote: »

Absolutely bloody no one I hope, why leave a company on the up and up, only to be booked crappy upon eventually arriving on the main roster in WWE.

From a creative perspective, hopefully none.

But from the perspective that a lot of guys have given so much this year, and it'd be great to see them take a nice payday for a kinder schedule, the top contenders would be Omega, Okada, Elgin, Naito and Tanahashi. Realistically, only Omega would be likely to head over, MAYBE Elgin.

Juice Robinson seems to be getting more and more over these days too - one to watch for the future for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I can't see any of the top stars leaving. Tanahashi is 40 now. He has a torn bicep and, according Meltzer, an extremely bad back. He's still one of the best wrestlers in the world, but he should save himself for the big matches. Can't see him moving to WWE where their schedule is much more gruelling.

Okada is the face of New Japan now. The only way he leaves is of a mega offer comes his way. Even then he'd probably be more likely to stay. Naito is arguably just as popular and is entering the final stage of a 5 year long story that should culminate in winning the IWGP Title at WrestleKingdom.

Omega would be the most likely to jump ship. He's from North America, is very good at promos and is obviously one of the world's elite wrestlers. He'd fit in well in WWE. But he's the face of New Japan's American expansion and is number 2 or 3 on the card. I think he may stay until he gets the IWGP Title just because it's something he has worked his way towards. From DDT to NJPW's Jr Heavyweight champion, to Intercontinental Champ. It's obviously all a work, but I think the wrestlers in NJPW, at least the top level ones, take enormous pride in thewe championships.

Agree with the above also most Japanese wrestlers have zero desire to go to WWE. I assume Kenny and the Young Bucks will end up there eventually down the line but right now they are making a lot of money doing their own thing.

SarahVOW wrote: »
    Agree with the above also most Japanese wrestlers have zero desire to go to WWE. I assume Kenny and the Young Bucks will end up there eventually down the line but right now they are making a lot of money doing their own thing.

Plus if The Young Bucks & Kenny were to jump ship, their Being The Elite web series would meet the same fate as Zack Ryder's Long Island Iced Z, and I don't want that..

Neil3030 wrote: »

Juice Robinson seems to be getting more and more over these days too - one to watch for the future for sure.

You think they would take him back?

I was watching this thinking if this is what Nakamura is capable of, why don't they let him perform like this?

• Advertisement

You think they would take him back?

I was watching this thinking if this is what Nakamura is capable of, why don't they let him perform like this?

Back in New Japan Nakamura had some really great matches but most were just Ok.

He can have great matches but mostly he just deosnt it's not WWE specific imo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

SarahVOW wrote: »
    Back in New Japan Nakamura had some really great matches but most were just Ok.

He can have great matches but mostly he just deosnt it's not WWE specific imo

Yes, Nakamura brought his A game in the big NJPW matches, other than that he phoned it in.

Juice Robinson is one to watch but hes still got a long way to go.

But you have to admire him, he was extremely brave cutting his cord with NXT. He say others with indy reps get placed above him time and time again, and he decided to leave to improve. He was never given a chance by any fan when he joined NJPW at first but hes slowly built himself up, learning a craft he seems to really love. It took balls to dow hat he did and hes starting to reap the rewards of his bravery and hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i think Juice will be back didn't finn or a-train help get him into new japan

tbh i could see most of the foreign guys wanting to work with wwe eventually.

Only Kenny and the young bucks id imagine are on great money through there merch who probaley dont need wwe as there making a bomb.

being closer to home for the foreign guys is always going to be a lure to wwe for them.

not sure any Japanese stars would go but i think theyll be looking closely to how Nakamaura does in the next few years. i think hes been treated good so far. his match quality has been the same as new japan without that 1 or 2 high quality he did ever year.

and hopefully cody dissapears from both new japan & wwe

Have to say that Nakamura wen't downhill very quickly for me in NXT. Anyone else feel his matches became incredibly repetitive? This may be a tad harsh, but were it not for the great tune CFO$, his time in WWE could have looked very different indeed. Sort of the exact opposite to AJ in many respects, who got over huge despite an incredibly dull theme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I don't think anyone who runs WWE actually likes wrestling at all. They've put Nakamura with absolute dirt so far. Ziggler, Corbin now Jinder. Is it any wonder he doesn't give a crap.

It's very easy. Put him against AJ.

It's baffling how they are still making money.

I don't think anyone who runs WWE actually likes wrestling at all. They've put Nakamura with absolute dirt so far. Ziggler, Corbin now Jinder. Is it any wonder he doesn't give a crap.

It's very easy. Put him against AJ.

It's baffling how they are still making money.

Absolute dirt? Do you not think your going over board here?

Zigglers a guy who can go with the best of them, Corbin (at the time) looked to be the next on the WWE mega push so it makes sense to have him work with Nak and in the hope Nak can bring the best out of him. I get Corbin isnt the most watchable guy, but hes not terrible either. Jinders in the same boat as Corbin just pushed faster.

I will say WWE booked the feuds badly, but in each feud so far Nak has come off like a big deal something no Japanese star has ever really gotten, esp as a face. His match with Cena was a great TV match.

Summerslam is Nak first big PPV and hes capable of dragging Mahal to a good match. Nak isnt perfect himself, he only steps it up on the big stages anyway or when it suits him.

Put him with AJ? Its been done before sure, Id rather see him go against new oppenents first and its only a few months into his main roster anyway, have patients.

I get there are negatives in WWE and Ive been vocal about them too, but Im vocal about the postives too, something you never seem to. If you are always negative about the product, dont watch.

Or just watch and be negative like you always are, up to you.

If you don't like it don't watch.

Really?

If you don't like it don't watch.

Really?

Listen its getting off topic, and maybe Im a bit harsh so I apologise. It just seems you only post about the negative things in wrestling. Im no WWE fanboy, its far from a great product in many ways and Ive moaned about my fair share of crap. But I also comeone here any rave about the times WWE get it right. Forgive me as I may be wrong, but the majority of your posts are just negative and you dont seem to like WWE anymore going by your posts to the point were you are always negative.

Thats the last ill say as its not New japan talk

Pretty positive in this thread. I don't watch WWE because I find it attrocious these days. I only watch the ppv's and if there's a big match on.
    NJPW has been pretty perfect for me all year, I have nothing negative to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Had a great time at the Liverpool War of the Worlds show.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out there was a meet and greet a few hours before the show so headed along for that. It was 20 quid to meet individual wrestlers which got you a signed pic or personal item and a picture. I'm not a fan of paying for meet and greets generally but I'm sure the cost of getting them all to the UK was steep enough and it was still cheaper than what the US cons would charge.

I went for Naito, Sanada, Takahashi and the Bucks. As I walked to Naito's table, he just said "I remember you, Tokyo!" and I started laughing. I have a distinct look and stood out miles while living in Japan and went to lots of shows so guess they saw me! Total gent, told him about my time in Tokyo, where I lived and he was asking about the different areas and what I liked about them. Having the bit of Japanese really helped too as I got them all to open up a little and chat.

All of them were really cool, Takahashi is a fan of punk and liked my vest as it had a Misfits back patch. I told them all of the punk band I play with in Tokyo and gave them the details of our October tour dates and said they can come along. They all said they will do their best with their schedule which was cool.

Bucks were really sound, plenty time for everyone, great to see them be so successful.

In terms of merch, I was hoping to get it cheaper than the Japanese prices but it wasn't to be. 35 pounds for a BC T-Shirt. Now that's standard in Japan but the quality there is much much better, these were the PWTees versions and noticeably of a lesser quality. I did get a hangman page shirt as I had most of the others from my time in Japan (actually have a spare new Japanese Tekken crossover BC shirt that I'll put on adverts shortly).

Matches were all enjoyable, the one with the CMLL guys was great fun. Crowd was smallish but looked worse on TV than it actually was. Cody was good craic replying to all of us heckling him.

Here I am with Naito:

http://imgur.com/a/Ehd6a

Advertisement