Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Really fun show, was interesting seeing NJPW in such a different environment and all matches including, and after, ZSJ vs Juice delivered in a big way. It was great seeing how over Naito and Okada are in America, and also that the improvement of Juice Robinson and the development of Jay White aren't things that are going unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Yoshi tatsu is just terrible but fun opener except for him.

Probably not going to catch the rest to later in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm going to try and stick it out. If Kenny vs Ishii is the final. I'm staying for it all.

I'm hoping it's ishii as I still don't see anything in zsj like everyone else does

It is! What great match though. Everything has been great tonight.

• Advertisement

Just watched the final match now. Probably my match of the year by miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Certainly my favourite defensive move of the year!

421445.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Delighted to be returning to Tokyo in two weeks! Best part is my gf told me today she has got us tickets for both G1 nights on Korakuen Hall on the 20th and 21st!

The Japanese are the best :D

Have only caught bits and pieces of these shows so far so looking forward to staying in watching them tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So is anyone else praying that Omega's comments post match, about wanting to find the best competition from around the world to defend his US title, means Punk will sign for NJ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

New Japan World now available on Amazon Fire TV

http://njpwworld.com/feature/firetv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So is anyone else praying that Omega's comments post match, about wanting to find the best competition from around the world to defend his US title, means Punk will sign for NJ? :pac:

Punk signing for NJPW, it's a pipe dream at best, the guy is what 37/38, I doubt he needs the money/be tempted to come back to pro wrestling, then again the NJ schedule isn't as demanding as the WWE's, and as far as I'm aware they travel on 2 different buses for events in Japan, with the odd flight involved here and there.

Then again, watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Certainly my favourite defensive move of the year!

Ishii is amazing. He always makes me so invested in his matches, he's such a great seller. His three matches with Omega this year have all been spectacular.

I don't think punk will come back tbh I'm not sure he'd be good enough with a few years off for it now his in ring wasn't great for the last few years of his wwe run for me but I always thought he was better on the mic then in ring.

I really think it's going to be Bryan vs omega when they come back but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Bryan retweeted omega today

Also anyone else think it's a bit of a mistake if they don't do another show this year to capitalise on the success of this one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The first night of the G1 just finished up. Ibushi and Naito melted my face. Okada/Omega aside this was match of the year so far.

Watch it when you get the chance. NJPW are streaming it for free.

Solid stuff. Surprised by Zack winning.

NJPW doing lots of great things at the moment, streaming that show for free on NJPW World was one of those. The undercard tags were fun, all the G1 matches delivered, the last 3 being crackers and the main event being a legitimate MOTYC. Ibushi vs Naito was insanity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Only watched the tournament matches as no way will I last if I watch the prelim tags every show. Fale vs Makabe was the only match I had below **** and it was still a perfectly fine big hoss battle. Tana made ZSJ look like a killer, the High Fly Flow countered into the armbar was perfect. Naito Ibushi is a must see match. I gave it *****

I'm hoping Ishii wins this, can't see Omega against Okada happening again. Probably Naito winning though.

I've always assumed that the g1 was based around to get a title shot so why is okada in it. I've always watched matches of the g1 but never paid too much attention to the rules and grouping of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

LeeJM wrote:
    Naito v. Ibushi is a must see match. I gave it *****

Looking forward to that when I get time to watch it. My new little hobby is looking at people moan to Meltzer about his apparent * ratings bias to NJPW. What fascinating lives these people must live if that is what bothers them when they wake up in the morning :o

• Advertisement

I'm just after watching night one and I am shaking after that Naito Ibushi match. The second rope piledriver and Ibushi kicking out of the Destino had me losing my mind. That was some opening night, Ishii and Goto are so great to watch wrestling one another. Yoshi-Hashi vs Nagata was a great match to start the tournament as well. I'm really enjoying Yoshi-Hashi at the moment, thought his match with Suzuki last month was really good too.

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    I'm just after watching night one and I am shaking after that Naito Ibushi match. The second rope piledriver and Ibushi kicking out of the Destino had me losing my mind. That was some opening night, Ishii and Goto are so great to watch wrestling one another. Yoshi-Hashi vs Nagata was a great match to start the tournament as well. I'm really enjoying Yoshi-Hashi at the moment, thought his match with Suzuki last month was really good too.

I popped big for Ibushi kicking out of the first Destino, it literally came from out of nowhere. Ibushi's bumps for both Destinos were just crazy.

I popped big for Ibushi kicking out of the first Destino, it literally came from out of nowhere. Ibushi's bumps for both Destinos were just crazy.

Yeah, the Destino's looked a lot more impactful than normal. I've no idea how the A Block can keep that going for the whole tournament, those guys were killing one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The deadlift German suplex & piledriver spots from the second rope while frightening to watch were admittedly just amazing spots by Ibushi.

Ishii/Ibushi is the best match you'll see today. Stiff is not the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Listening to the latest Meltzer podcast where he's saying the New Japan wrestlers are taking wrestling to a new level. He was looking back at previous G1 matches and watched Styles v Suzuki from 2014 which won the Observers MoTY. He thinks it was a phenomenal match and a worthy winner but wouldn't make the top 10 matches from this year.

I think he's right as well. Since last year's G1 there's been an increase in quality matches in every division in NJPW. The 2016 tournament had half a dozen matches that could've been rated 5*. The same is true for this year's except we've only just finished day 5!

The G1 has always been a tournament with quality wrestling but the standard is even higher now. Of course there are matches from previous years G1 which stack up to the very best over the last 18 months, Tana v Nak from 2015 for instance, but I'm convinced that what we've seen over the last 18 months is greater in quality than anything we've seen in the last 10 years or so. The sheer volume of outstanding matches since the turn of 2016 is mind boggling.

Tldr: We're in a golden age of wrestling. Just enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

That suzuki match with aj styles was amazing. First time I ever saw suzuki aswell.

Golden age of New Japan for sure, it's a shame it's only watched by a tiny fraction of the audience. Most people still watching WWE and that is in terrible shape wrestling wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lad's I'm thinking of going to Japan in January not nailed on or anything just musing at the moment but If I do what's the chances of just rocking up at the Tokyo Dome for the January 4th event and getting a ticket at the door or is Wrestle Kingdom a sell in advance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Naito/Omega
    the finale for this years G1 Climax. It'll be an excellent finale.

Advertisement