Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

LeeJM wrote: »
    Was just about to post them. Thats huge news. Also explains why Kenny didnt win at the Dome which was IMO the logical choice. All I will say is if the move to WWE happens he isnt coming in to feud with Big Cass, he will be a sure fire main eventer. Let the speculation begin

I would've though Nakamura would be straight onto the main roster a la AJ Styles. Argument could be made for Roode there too. Kenny could replace any current outgoing NXT Star or could slot in easily on any show tbh. Has a great and different look too. East or West is his oyster

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Clegg wrote: »
    I don't think New Japan would have booked the WK match the way they did if Omega was on his way out. It was booked as a match between equals. And the fact that Kenny never hit the One Winged Angel means that they have plans in place for a future title match, I think. If he was leaving Okada would have kicked out of one.

Them having him not hit it was so so good to me as an outsider. That over someone kicking out of it is sublime and virgin territory for me as a viewer. Really enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Will the Tokyo dome show be put up on any legal streaming site? Or has it already been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

njpwworld.com only costs a little over €8 a month. If its just the dome show you wanna watch then pay it and cancel the sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Ah nice one! I was actually on that site but couldn't seem to find it until I went to schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Kazuchika Okada is the best wrestler in the world and everyone needs to get on board with that. His match with Minoru Suzuki from this morning's New Beginning show was an absolute cracker, working such a different style of match to the Omega one and yet it may have been just as captivating. He's the complete package, his selling of the leg, the timing of his comebacks, the struggle to string power moves together as the match wore on and his leg had been worked over more, that crazy submission spot, his on-point physical expressions that get across the story of the match, and in typical Okada fashion, an absolutely killer closing sequence. I loved the storytelling in this match, the psychology of it and ultimately that led to wonderful drama. Suzuki can't fly or bump like Omega but his strength is his character work and his ability to take every little thing that happens in a match and make it all mean something greater collectively. Maybe I'm being a bit hasty, possibly I need to rewatch it again but, for me, this match could be *****

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Absolute Meh match for me mainly due to suziki just don't like him at all. He has go away heat for me and I just fail to see why he's in the spot he's in.

sky88 wrote: »
    Absolute Meh match for me mainly due to suziki just don't like him at all. He has go away heat for me and I just fail to see why he's in the spot he's in.

I suppose in a way I can see just how that might happen. Because if your a new fan to puroresu I guess maybe the significance of Suzuki to wrestling and mma doesn't matter so much and you'd probably end up thinking he's an old guy who doesn't bump very much. On top of that, not being able to speak Japanese eliminates him from making an emotional attachment with you through his promos (btw that pre match video promo NJPW shot for Suzuki-Gun before this main event match was killer). So I guess maybe I can see how what you say can happen. The man is a legitimate badass, an incredible personality who is a genuinely significant player in the history of the sport in Japan and of mma in Japan too. Off the top of my head if I were to relate him back to a western worker it'd probably be Jake Roberts, because Suzuki has a mind for wrestling like nobody else, his brilliance is in making the simple things look devastating. His leg work and his character work in this match are the things all wrestlers aspiring to not only make it to an elite level but who want to have longevity at that level should seek to emulate. At 48 the man is churning out a 40 minute long, arguably 5 star match in a company in an environment like New Japan. That's remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,059 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Last night's New Beginning in Osaka PPV is getting rave reviews. Shibata vs Riddle and Takahashi vs Dragon Lee are getting huge praise and I've seen 5 star ratings for Naito vs Elgin.

NJPW have been putting on fantastic cards for a few years now but since last month's Wrestle Kingdom the wrestlers have stepped up another level again. The WWE guys have gone up a gear as well. We're in for a great year if they keep this level up.

• Advertisement

Only saw natio vs Elgin and thought it was unbelievable. My favourite new Japan match of the year which is some going.

Haven't had a chance to watch the rest yet

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I only got around to watching the Suzuki/Okada match from Sapporo and I thought it was great. The speed and quickness of Suzuki at 48 blows me away. I loved the striking exchanges - the one where Okada just stood there taking shots especially - and the selling by Okada was excellent. I thought the match told a great story. Like how a few times Okada would go for the Rainmaker but Suzuki would counter by hooking his injured leg. And near the end Suzuki tries for the leg again but Okada is wise to it this time and so instead hits him with a German suplex. I'd like to see Suzuki get a run with the title at some point.

I also thought Cyrus did a good job (I listened to the version with him and Kelly). He grates on me at times when I listen to the podcast he does with Storm so I was worried he'd annoy me, but he didn't. I haven't seen other matches from the show though so I don't know what his overall performance was like. But for this match at least he was fine.

Need to now check out some of the other matches mentioned on this thread.

Meltzer saya Zack Sabre Jr is gonna debut in NJPW quite soon. You'd assume it'd be for the best of the super juniors tournament and I'm irrationally excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

So I just left Kourakuen Hall, picked up tickets for both Honor Rising events as well as Wednesday's NJPW show and a BJW deathmatch tournament next Saturday.

The sheer amount to wrestling here is crazy. Shows literally every night! Met Juice Robinson on the way to the njpw store, sound lad! Think there are signings with the ROH lads tomorrow before the show so will head along to that. Will be sure to do a write up with some pics in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,059 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So I just left Kourakuen Hall, picked up tickets for both Honor Rising events as well as Wednesday's NJPW show and a BJW deathmatch tournament next Saturday.

The sheer amount to wrestling here is crazy. Shows literally every night! Met Juice Robinson on the way to the njpw store, sound lad! Think there are signings with the ROH lads tomorrow before the show so will head along to that. Will be sure to do a write up with some pics in the coming days.

I hope you enjoyed.

Btw was this the show where Tanahashi dressed up.as one of Dalton Castles "Boys"? If so I'm extremely jealous

Clegg wrote: »
    I hope you enjoyed.

Btw was this the show where Tanahashi dressed up.as one of Dalton Castles "Boys"? If so I'm extremely jealous

It was great craic. The shrieks of "Kennnnyyy" all throughout were hilarious. Also, one thing I've not seen anywhere else at shows in the world is groups of 10-20 seemingly single attractive girls all coming to see the show together, not that I'm complaining :D

The cosplayers are gas too, there was a spot on Bubba Ray, couldn't catch him for a pic afterwards but hopefully he's there tonight again.

I met Kevin Kelly and Adam Cole backstage, no time for pics as they were working but both were really nice.

It is indeed that show so was pretty funny! I think tonights show will be much better, the main event tag should be a great spotfest!

My schedule for this week alone is as follows:

Honor Rising Night 1 and 2
    NJPW Show Wednesday
    Freedoms Deathmatch Tournament Thursday
    BJW Deathmatch Tournament Saturday.

Next week is more New Japan, All Japan and Dragon Gate. It's definitely an expensive hobby here as ticket prices can be steep enough but I live like 10 mins from the Dome so might as well while I'm here!

At Sakura Genesis now! It's in a sumo hall so sitting in a little square with legs folded haha and have to take off your shoes as well, definitely an experience.

Picked up some savage Tekken/Bullet Club crossover merch!

At Sakura Genesis now! It's in a sumo hall so sitting in a little square with legs folded haha and have to take off your shoes as well, definitely an experience.

Picked up some savage Tekken/Bullet Club crossover merch!

You must be absolutely euphoric after that show, especially THAT main event!

Oh my God, something else. Tonnes of us in my section just roaring for Shibata. It was amazing. Funniest thing ever was when Fale came out, guy turned to me and in broken English went "**** sakes" haha!

The thing that amazes me at these shows is the merch setup. Every single performer is represented and has their own section on the table. Just interesting when you hear at WWE shows only a handful are represented. LIJ are super popular, more so than Bullet Club now I'd say, was quite cool being in a packed train surrounded by people in their merch.

Kushida match ended abruptly so there was some initial concern in the crowd. Also, I have no clue how David Finlay ever got near being signed by a big company. He screams minor league and looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Anywhere to get a replay of the okada shibata match online?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Oh my God, something else. Tonnes of us in my section just roaring for Shibata. It was amazing. Funniest thing ever was when Fale came out, guy turned to me and in broken English went "**** sakes" haha!

The thing that amazes me at these shows is the merch setup. Every single performer is represented and has their own section on the table. Just interesting when you hear at WWE shows only a handful are represented. LIJ are super popular, more so than Bullet Club now I'd say, was quite cool being in a packed train surrounded by people in their merch.

Kushida match ended abruptly so there was some initial concern in the crowd. Also, I have no clue how David Finlay ever got near being signed by a big company. He screams minor league and looks awful.

That's brilliant! I say with an absolute tonne of envy that you've lived my dream. I gotta ask were tickets difficult to get? And was the language barrier tough to overcome in making your way around Tokyo? I'm hoping to get to a Wrestle Kingdom eventually, so always trying to read stuff from westerners who've made the trip.

In the arena in the aftermath of the main event was there a suspicion that Shibata was legit hurt? I'd say LIJ are the most popular act in the company, incredible to think NJPW can draw a super no vacancy with so many big draws in throwaway multi man tag matches.

Gotta say, on reflection I loved the finish of the Jr Title match, really puts Hiromu over as a killer and the real ace of the division, also a nice reminder that a title match in NJPW isn't automatically 20+ minutes and could end at any moment.

Definitely his dad had something to do with it. I like aspects of his work but of the 4 young lions in that class (Komatsu, Sho Tanaka and Jay White being the other 3) he'd certainly be the weakest.

Angron wrote: »

Terrifying. Super dangerous spot to do, I can think of others in puro who may want to reconsider how often they do this.

That being said, that stunning visual that NJPW's production team got of Shibata slowly raising his head as a trickle of blood runs down his forehead has been seared in my memory all day.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Anywhere to get a replay of the okada shibata match online?

Yes, NJPW World.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well that match was all the hype and more. In anything its not getting enough hype compared to the WK match. If that got six stars, this should eclipse that. Both men brought the best out of each other and the match just oozed big match feel. The emotion through-out made the match riveting and as a result the suspense built and built until a perfect climax.

The perfect match and probably my fav match in a long time. MOTY so far for me

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Well that match was all the hype and more. In anything its not getting enough hype compared to the WK match. If that got six stars, this should eclipse that. Both men brought the best out of each other and the match just oozed big match feel. The emotion through-out made the match riveting and as a result the suspense built and built until a perfect climax.

The perfect match and probably my fav match in a long time. MOTY so far for me

The Omega factor, the interest he generates in a western audience and that the Omega match was the main event of NJPW's biggest show of the year are all contributing factors to that match having more buzz in the west than the Shibata match.

Jesus that match was amazing much better than omega/okada for me.

Shibata seems to be in a bad way by twitter not sure if storyline or real.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

sky88 wrote: »
    Jesus that match was amazing much better than omega/okada for me.

Shibata seems to be in a bad way by twitter not sure if storyline or real.
    He had a subdural haematoma, had to get rushed to hospital for surgery.

That's brilliant! I say with an absolute tonne of envy that you've lived my dream. I gotta ask were tickets difficult to get? And was the language barrier tough to overcome in making your way around Tokyo? I'm hoping to get to a Wrestle Kingdom eventually, so always trying to read stuff from westerners who've made the trip.

In the arena in the aftermath of the main event was there a suspicion that Shibata was legit hurt? I'd say LIJ are the most popular act in the company, incredible to think NJPW can draw a super no vacancy with so many big draws in throwaway multi man tag matches.

Gotta say, on reflection I loved the finish of the Jr Title match, really puts Hiromu over as a killer and the real ace of the division, also a nice reminder that a title match in NJPW isn't automatically 20+ minutes and could end at any moment.

Definitely his dad had something to do with it. I like aspects of his work but of the 4 young lions in that class (Komatsu, Sho Tanaka and Jay White being the other 3) he'd certainly be the weakest.

Oh sure, feel free to ask away!

Lived here for 3 months now on a business trip which unfortunately is coming to an end in two weeks but will be applying to make the move permanently as soon as I return home.

To date I've been to:

5 NJPW Shows
    1 Noah
    3 Big Japan
    2 Freedoms shows
    1 DDT Show
    1 Dragon Gate Show
    1 Zero-1 show (with our very own Maxer Brennan headlining!)
    1 All Japan show

As with all concerts etc here, it's an expensive hobby but well worth it. Tickets are super easy to get for NJPW, can go directly to their store or the Korakuen box office and ask for "Chikketto" and the show name and they'll pull out a seating chart and ask you to pick which area you want to sit in.

All the shows I've been to have been in Korakuen Hall, Shin Kiba 1st Ring, Sumo Hall and the bar that DDT ran in haha.

For Big Japan, I was able to reserve tickets online easily and collect at box office by venue. They get a great kick out of Gaijin in the crowds here and will try to make friends with you always, it's good as now I have a crew that meets at the different companies shows and we have the customary bag of cans :D

Fascinating thing here is that they don't rip you off on beer prices at events, in fact the beers are bigger and cheaper than most places in Tokyo, especially at Korakuen. I asked my Japanese friends and they say to attract men to these events, they make the beer prices reasonable, amazing! The fried chicken available in Korakuen is amazing too!

Shin Kiba is a little venue out in warehouse in the sticks of Tokyo effectively. It's very accessible by train and the venue is a minute walk from the station. Best thing about here and also Korakuen seemingly is you can bring in your own cans no bother. Great to make it a cheap night if needed.

Sumo hall has cheap beer but I would avoid the Sumo seats if at all possible. Not a bad seat in any of the venues mentioned so really won't make much difference where you sit at all, but definitely try to get a proper seat at Sumo Hall, I'm still aching from Sunday's event.

In terms of Shibata, no real feeling from the crowd that he was that seriously hurt at all, most people just gutted at the loss. There was more concern for Kushida.

Tokyo is great to get around, language barrier not a major issue at all once you learn about 10 basic phrases and use google translate you'll be fine. It's even more accessible than it was when I was here last, lots more English menus in restaurants etc, obviously they're gearing up for the Olympics.

This was far longer than initially planned but hope the info is useful! I'll post a write up with some pics when I get back home, it's been an amazing adventure and would strongly urge everyone to try this if they ever get the opportunity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So to the NJPW rookie, what periodic shows does one need to watch to keep up to speed, and how can one do this? They have a subscription service, right?

Advertisement