Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So to the NJPW rookie, what periodic shows does one need to watch to keep up to speed, and how can one do this? They have a subscription service, right?

NJPW World

https://www.njpw1972.com

It depends on where you wanna start and how familar you are ? Have you watched Wrestle Kingdom from January? Id revisit that show first and go from there if you havent.

Actually Id go further back but its a good starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

beakerjoe wrote: »
    NJPW World

https://www.njpw1972.com

It depends on where you wanna start and how familar you are ? Have you watched Wrestle Kingdom from January? Id revisit that show first and go from there if you havent.

Actually Id go further back but its a good starting point

How far back would you recommend? Are the shows indexed by timeline on the NJPW World service? If I just watch the ppvs will there be vignettes before the matches to give me the backstory?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

The big matches on this Dontaku tour are being spread out over three shows, happening tomorrow, Saturday and next Wednesday. I’m most excited for the Takahashi vs Ricochet match on Saturday. Omega vs Ishii was great in the New Japan Cup, so their match on Wednesday should be really good too.

I’m really interested in what people think, or want to happen for the BOSJ tournament, and then the Dominion and Long Beach shows coming up after that. The assumption seems to be that they’re using these Dontaku shows to set up Naito vs Tanahashi and Omega vs Okada, two rematches from the Dome, for Dominion. I was listening to the Purocast and one of the guys on there was making the case for doing the Omega vs Okada rematch on one of the Long Beach shows. His argument was based on having this broadcast live on AXS TV, therefore being a bigger opportunity for potential growth, and that Naito vs Tanahashi would be enough to sell out Dominion. It’s an interesting idea, but from a quick search, I see that they usually have the Heavyweight title defended at Dominion, so I’d imagine that Omega / Okada will happen there. What do people here think about the potential Dominion and Long Beach cards?

It’s also really interesting to see what they’ll do with the juniors. The biggest criticism of New Japan booking is that they’ve done absolutely nothing with Ospreay since Dominion last year, but they seem to be building him back up before the BOSJ. I’m thinking that they’ll have to do an Ospreay / Takahashi match. Also Kushida vs Takahashi is likely happening again, and of course they still have to do the Ricochet vs Ospreay rematch in New Japan. I had the thought that Long Beach could be the perfect place to do the Ricochet / Ospreay rematch. They could also just have them in the same block in BOSJ again, or have them meet in the final. I’ve seen people speculating that Marty Scurll could be included in the BOSJ this year, so I’m hoping that happens now. Anyone have any ideas what they’d like to see, or what they think will happen in the BOSJ and for the Jr title match at Dominion? Obviously there’s that Takahashi vs Ricochet match for the title on Saturday to happen first. Takahashi has gotten a monster push so far, anyone think they might have Ricochet beat him?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

New Japan have announced a 2 night tournament at the G1 Special in the US to crown an inaugural IWGP United States Champion.

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/863201857367408640

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

That title is hideous

But that show should be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I actually like it, not exactly modern looking but has a nice old boxing title look to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

looks better than most wwe belts

Better looks at the new IWGP United States Championship.

18486052_1437845632942957_7417129382922552228_n.jpg?oh=e5677d5708a67dd44a206f68186b269e&oe=59AD24E7

18485498_1437845636276290_1775216304034884236_n.jpg?oh=68209dc2c399a1690fd876c0c782f450&oe=59BF1E64

And
    Jay Lethal
    is the first person announced for the 2 night tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

New Japan put up some very good matches on their YouTube channel for limited times. Well worth subscribing to it.

The groupings for this years G1 Climax

Block A Hiroshi Tanahashi- Togi Makabe- Tomohiro Ishii - Hirooki Gotto- Yoshi Hashi- Bad Luck Fale- Yuji Nagata- Zach Sabre Jr- Kota Ibushi- Tetsuya Naito

Block B Juice Robinson - Kazuchika Okada- Toru Yano- Satoshi Kojima- Michael Elgin- Tama Tonga- Sanada- Evil- Minoru Suzuki- Kenny Omega

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Be nice to see Okada vs Omega go a reasonable length. The 45-60 minute matches just aren't my taste. G1 is what got me in to New Japan in the first place. 12 minutes of Goto and Ishii beating the piss out of each other is very much to my taste.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It makes me a little sad that this will be Nagata's last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I'm looking forward to Suzuki killing everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Can't wait for tonight. Has a real big time buzz about it. It's a huge deal for NJPW. I hope it goes to plan for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Can't wait for tonight. Has a real big time buzz about it. It's a huge deal for NJPW. I hope it goes to plan for them.

I'll catch both shows but neither live, very excited though. The potential is there to break into a new market.

If you don't want my cynicism potentially ruining this show for you, I'll spoiler this:
    I just hope to christ the indie smarks attending this show don't ruin it by trying to hyjack it. One of the best things about NJPW is how the fans buy into the contest and add atmosphere to the matches. I'm dreading the 'this is awesome chants' or that 'ONE FALL' thing :mad:

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If you don't want my cynicism potentially ruining this show for you, I'll spoiler this:
    I just hope to christ the indie smarks attending this show don't ruin it by trying to hyjack it. One of the best things about NJPW is how the fans buy into the contest and add atmosphere to the matches. I'm dreading the 'this is awesome chants' or that 'ONE FALL' thing :mad:

They've been fine so far. I agree. They are the worst.

Rest of these matches now will put the last 10 years of WWE to shame.

Average enough show so far Jr is horrendous

Elgin vs omega was fantastic loved it. Enjoyed it a lot more than omega vs okada matches

• Advertisement

In ring wise last night's show was a big success. Omega vs Elgin was incredible. If Omega has a few more performances like that in the G1, he could take wrestler of the year from Okada.

Production issues and the English commentary held the show back. JR was clueless. He couldn't even tell the difference between EVIL and Bushi.

A big success from the show was that the crowd were into all the New Japan acts, and not a smarky Bullet Club crowd. The pop Okada got was outstanding. Also, makes for great dynamics for the Okada vs Cody and Tanahashi vs Gunn matches. The main event for tonight's show should be spectacular.

Very happy Ishii went through, Omega and Elgin was amazing. Okada/Cody was really good. Way better than expected. Can't wait for tonight. Ishii/Omega final maybe? That would be the dream.

I thought the commentary was good where it needed to be. Omega v Elgin was greatly subserved by JR and Barnett discussing things like the importance of going for quick covers and the fine line between Omega's insanity and genius. They also reinforced the story of the match, ie that Omega only got the upper hand once he went with the knee strikes.

Similarly they did a great job of getting Cody over in the main event as talented but easily distracted, and they constantly put Okada over as the mega star he is.

All in all, it was just great to hear a commentary team talk about the talents and not the promotion. Or talk about strategy for winning, and not what's trending on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

anywhere I can watch this online from last night as I fell asleep

I love when companies do these little teases.

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/881600225869037568

montyrebel wrote: »
    anywhere I can watch this online from last night as I fell asleep

NJPW World

sky88 wrote: »
    I love when companies do these little teases.

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/881600225869037568

Punk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Punk?

Nope. Cody costs Omega the title and kicks Kenny out of the BC. Possibly The Bucks get kicked out too so we get Cody leading the BC of Scurll, Fale, Page, Yujiro and Chase Owens while The Elite go off and be their thing full time.

That's not really a surprise, that's just an angle. He said the Bullet Club have a big surprise, not just him.

• Advertisement

Just can't see punk coming back to wrestling but if he did it would be a huge statement.

My thoughts were Kenny getting kicked out of bullet club with cody costing omega the title.

Maybe the guy who wins joins the bc.

Advertisement