Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Played some MK8 last night and the new additions are excellent.
    I honestly can't see this game being surpassed on any other format, at least in this genre.

Unless there's a new Crash Team Racing... :P

The love that game gets is baffling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Played some MK8 last night and the new additions are excellent.
    I honestly can't see this game being surpassed on any other format, at least in this genre.

Not until they pull the finger out and release a new F-Zero. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There was a slight tear to be shed when hurtling around the FZero track in MK8, in the Blue Falcon, loving it but thinking... It's Not Enough Nintendo, It's Not ENOUGH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Set up the ps1 and straight into RES1 & dino crises. Forgot how great they are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There was a slight tear to be shed when hurtling around the FZero track in MK8, in the Blue Falcon, loving it but thinking... It's Not Enough Nintendo, It's Not ENOUGH!!!!

If you want a fuller F-Zero experience, stick it on 150cc and fall off the sides.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Set up the ps1 and straight into RES1 & dino crises. Forgot how great they are

But doesn't the GC remake of Resident Evil not kinda do in for the original?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But doesn't the GC remake of Resident Evil not kinda do in for the original?

Both different experiences so much so that its worth playing both.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Both different experiences so much so that its worth playing both.

Most of the features of the original are still good, I'll grant you, once we take the passage of time into account.
    But those controls, tank controls, I just can't go back to those at all.
    I must give the DS a try, picked it up and have yet to play it

Most of the features of the original are still good, I'll grant you, once we take the passage of time into account.

The tank controls are still in the GC remake. Also the puzzles have been changed significantly in the GC Remake meaning you're getting to very different experiences. I don't mind tank controls at all and I feel that the game is built around tank controls, removing them will ruin the game. The new HD version will have the option to not use tank controls so we'll see then how it affects the game. I'd put money on it making it significantly easier and ruining the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I really wish survival horror games had retained tank controls. They add so much to the experience.

All these post RE4 over the shoulder 'action' survival horror games just aren't the same.

• Advertisement

Wow, I could have sworn the controls were better in REmake.
    The noggin is getting more useless by the day :(

On a brighter note Valkyria Chronicles is pretty gorgeous, my action orientated mind has to get accustomed to the combat system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I've been re-playing Portal this week, not sure it's retro enough but... well I'm playing it anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I started the first Tomb Raider on ipad earlier this year.
    Tank Controls + flaky touch screen pad = an exercise in frustration.
    Mind you I'm on Natla's Mines and have set myself the goal of actually finishing it.

Been playing a lot of Megaman Legends recently. Such a brilliant game and still looks stunning even after all these years. Air pirates, forgotten underground ruins, cute servo bots and a wonderful cast of charming characters with some excellent voice acting. It's pretty much the closest videogames have gotten to a Studio Ghibli film.

I finally got into the original Super Monkey Ball, I'd only properly played the sequel to this point. It's a cruel beast with its continues, but the more arcade-y feel is quite sweet.

Kinda wondering where to go after finishing it. There's a lot in the series, but from my experience, and what I've read, the series takes a bit of a dive after the first two.

Master of the Universe

Still playing lots of Silent Scope due to the sheer amount of content on that Xbox disc. I never was an advocate of the original Xbox (Other than the odd good release like PDS Orta or Steel Battalion) but it's worth it for this. Especially as the rifle and game can be had so cheap.

I think it's the only game where I've seen a 'sexual content' on/off in the options screen! :D

Don't tell Anita Sarkeesian...

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I finally got into the original Super Monkey Ball, I'd only properly played the sequel to this point. It's a cruel beast with its continues, but the more arcade-y feel is quite sweet.

Kinda wondering where to go after finishing it. There's a lot in the series, but from my experience, and what I've read, the series takes a bit of a dive after the first two.

The GBA is impressive, I'd only because of the format they got it working on.
    The PS2 one is a compilation afaik.
    The Wii one isn't great because of the alterations due to the lack of precision due to the woolly motion controls but it does have balance board support.
    The Vita edition looks the business too, and its portable format is perfect.

I guess its like Katamari Damacy, you buy the first two and that's it, you've seen all you really need to see, the rest is just a cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Why would you ever need the option to turn it off !! :)

Sure its just the occasional pool side woman in a bikini isn't it?

Wii due to the woolly motion controls but it does have balance board support.

That sounds like a straight-up exercise in frustration.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Why would you ever need the option to turn it off !! :)

I guess they realized all this 'Gamergate' stupidity was going to happen so future proofed the game to stop us all feeling like misogynists :pac:
    Sure its just the occasional pool side woman in a bikini isn't it?

Something along those lines alright, women in windows etc. You get an extra life, your scope shape changes to a heart and the playable character says 'Wow!' or something along those lines. Silly but harmless really. I'd be interested in turning the 'sexual content' thingy off just to see what effect it has on that. Do they wear more clothes? Do they turn into feminists holding 'down with this sort of thing!' signs? (I jest! I jest!)

Master of the Universe

Anyone else playing New Super Mario Bros WiiU at the moment?

When I started it I thought it was great, looked gorgeous and was lots of fun.

I'm probably 2/3 of the way through it now and just not enjoying it anymore.

Some of the levels look gorgeous (the ones modeled after 'The Starry Night' for example), but argh, I'm just not feeling it. Think I'm a bit New Super Mario Bro'd out at this stage, they're just all a bit samey.

Haven't played Super Mario 3D World yet, might need to give up on this one and start that instead!

I really like the WiiU version of the game. The Wii NSMB I think is up there with SMW and Mario 3, it's a great game. I've not finished the WiiU version but I like what I have played so far. It's the handheld NSMB games I don't really like with the DS version being a really mediocre platformer.

The whole New Super Mario Bros thingy is kinda justified by the fact it lead to Super Luigi U. It trolls in a nice way. Instead of unfairness, it punishes you for trying to play it like any other Mario game. There's a couple of bits where the shortcuts remain from NSMB-U, but trying to avail of them will either see Luigi get blasted in the face with fire, or overshooting a jump because Luigi has to have his slippiness accounted for constantly. It's just like Ninty actively screaming "STOP TRYING TO PLAY THIS LIKE A MARIO". Yeah, post-game spoiler but,
    there's a bizarre reward in ths post-game where it lets you return to Mario-like physics, should you wish.

It's the kinda thing you learn in retrospect, having vented your frustration at being a lazy bum trying to power through like it was any other Mario title. The Nabbit stuff can be bit of a gamebreak in multiplayer, mind. F**k, it's flat-out gamebreaking.

I find Super Luigi U just doesn't like me at all.
    It sees me coming, rubs it's digital paws together and gets ready to make a show if me :(

Super Mario 3D World is incredible.
    Another reason why everyone should own a WiiU and why we will never be satisfied with mediocre ports from other consoles.

Super Mario World 3D is a reminder that games can be fun and colourful and not brown misery simulators.

Super Mario World 3D is a reminder that games can be fun and colourful and not brown misery simulators.

You're talking about the Resistance games again, aren't you?
    The first Killzone is probably the worst though, looked like misery and played like it too :(

The post-game is a lesson in how many ways a game can say 'feck off' and still have you enjoying every second of it.

Geometry Wars 3 has grown on me terribly.
    I still have some disappointment with the visuals, is the PS3 different to the PS4 one in looks, I have the latter and was surprised to see the purchases aren't linked, rather the same game has to be bought separately on each system, how Nintendo of them!
    I'd love to see it on the Vita though, maybe the 3DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone else playing New Super Mario Bros WiiU at the moment?

When I started it I thought it was great, looked gorgeous and was lots of fun.

I'm probably 2/3 of the way through it now and just not enjoying it anymore.

Some of the levels look gorgeous (the ones modeled after 'The Starry Night' for example), but argh, I'm just not feeling it. Think I'm a bit New Super Mario Bro'd out at this stage, they're just all a bit samey.

Haven't played Super Mario 3D World yet, might need to give up on this one and start that instead!

the checkpointing is so annoying. I get through a few levels, get defeated by the boss, give it a break for a few weeks and have to redo everything again.

Advertisement