Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I started FFX on the Vita. I'm not liking it as much as I used to..

Finally coming round to see the truth, it's a load of ****e :pac:

Well I thought it was a load of ****e when it came out, haven't played it since. I doubt my opinion would have changed much since though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did you beat it? I remember it getting a lot better the further you got into it. However it is very linear and the random battle encounter rate is maddening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd love to see a new Final Fantasy game with the same sort of controlled schizophrenia as VII (and IX). That amazing sense of discovery and fun, where it feels like a genuine adventure on a vast world map full of secrets, one-shots, distractions, wacky asides and worthwhile subplots (forget the main story - it was each character's individual narratives that made that game sing). Each new town felt like an exciting and distinct place, which is something I haven't felt about any of the subsequent games (even the more open-ended XII). Hopefully XV will be more willing to have some fun, and not end up just another sprawling game of near endless fighting and po-faced storytelling (although that sadly seems near inevitable). The trailers so far make it hard to call.

Master of the Universe

Did you beat it? I remember it getting a lot better the further you got into it. However it is very linear and the random battle encounter rate is maddening.

I gave up at the 3/4 point as the linearity was pissing me off so much. I think by that point, the only thing keeping me interested was Lulu's chest. Unfortunately even that began to bore me.

Absolutely monumentally annoying cast. I didn't think it could be beat in that regard - then FF XIII came along and did the impossible.

Edit - actually you know what, I went off gaming quite a bit during the PS2 generation. Originally I thought it was down to beer and young ones, but now I think it might have also been influenced by the combined huge disappointment that was FF X and MGS2. I think they were released quite close together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Talking of PS Vita, is that Curry God game any good? Thinking of picking up a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Talking of PS Vita, is that Curry God game any good? Thinking of picking up a copy.

I like my games on the easy side, but Sorcery Saga was way too easy. Stopped playing it around the second dungeon. I might pick it up again when I need something low stress though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd love to see a new Final Fantasy game with the same sort of controlled schizophrenia as VII (and IX). That amazing sense of discovery and fun, where it feels like a genuine adventure on a vast world map full of secrets, one-shots, distractions, wacky asides and worthwhile subplots (forget the main story - it was each character's individual narratives that made that game sing). Each new town felt like an exciting and distinct place, which is something I haven't felt about any of the subsequent games (even the more open-ended XII). Hopefully XV will be more willing to have some fun, and not end up just another sprawling game of near endless fighting and po-faced storytelling (although that sadly seems near inevitable). The trailers so far make it hard to call.

FFVII is anything but controlled, it's a miracle that game came out in a playable state.

Mass effect has a lot to answer for when it comes to making FFXIII bad. Both had a codex filled with boring fluff that was in no way interesting. Mass Effect at least had the decency to make it unnecessary to understand the game. FFXIII on the other hand didn't even make sense if you spent the time reading it.

It would be nice to get that sense of discovery, FFVII and IX were just as linear as FFXIII but the pacing was right and it gave the illusion of discovery and being non linear. Your reward for going through a dungeon was a new town to explore and once you got bored of that you were back in a dungeon again. FFXIII was just a big dungeon. It would also be nice to bring the wacky back. FFVI was a very dark game but it also had Ultros. Sometimes you just need a bit of comedy or bizarreness to break things up.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I gave up at the 3/4 point as the linearity was pissing me off so much. I think by that point, the only thing keeping me interested was Lulu's chest. Unfortunately even that began to bore me.

Absolutely monumentally annoying cast. I didn't think it could be beat in that regard - then FF XIII came along and did the impossible.

Edit - actually you know what, I went off gaming quite a bit during the PS2 generation. Originally I thought it was down to beer and young ones, but now I think it might have also been influenced by the combined huge disappointment that was FF X and MGS2. I think they were released quite close together.

FFX actually has an amazing cast. Some real top quality voice actors there. However the direction they were given and the script was so poor that they gave really lousy performances. Tidus and Yuna in particular are voiced by two very talented actors and yet come across as awful, Yuna in particular. Compare Yuna to Hedy Buress's performance as Rosie in Valkyria Chronicles, it's hard to believe it's the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Picked up another gba sp today with a few games, still no ags 101 but sure feck it.

Realised i have two copies of supermario advance, and a link cable, so first time to play some two player gba original mario bros! Good craic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Los Lobos wrote: »
    so first time to play some two player gba original mario bros! Good craic

Would love to give that a crack at some stage. Ninty went through a mad phase by plopping it on every Mario Advance entry, so it goes 3 times unloved in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

I have a dedicated mario bros cab i bought a while back, remake of course, running mame, mario bros is great fun when ya get a few levels in!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

After seeing o1s1n's posts about his monitor handywork, I fired up my AWSD Friday. Swapped out Strikers 1945 II for Raiden DX - very rusty and not able to get any of the secret bonuses on the first play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Those winking medals, it's hard to swoop in at the right moment, before they go dull, and snatch maximum points!
    According to O1s the PS version is pretty spot on as conversions go, and that's the one I have, an amazingly fun game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Those winking medals, it's hard to swoop in at the right moment, before they go dull, and snatch maximum points!
    According to O1s the PS version is pretty spot on as conversions go, and that's the one I have, an amazingly fun game.

Ah I usually leave trying to time the medal grabs, usually end up dead otherwise. I was talking about the gold radars in the training level - I can usually get 3 out of 7 of them on a good day.

Aye the PS1 port is very good, nabbed that myself. Might be a little be speedier but has the added bonus of saving your replays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Never played it properly so decided to give Megaman 2 a run...

my wife is learning a lot of new french words at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Road Redemption, aka Rogue Rash. It's still in Alpha so a bit rough around the edges. They've got the feel spot on anyway. The whole Rogue style XP structure is nice. Also the huge car accidents. Sticky bombs are class. The guns feel a tiny bit too much but they don't have a ton of ammo so I suppose it isn't that big a deal. Not really feeling the rooftop levels either gets it a bit far away from the core Road Rash experience.

Master of the Universe

Just finished Mother 3. I'm absolutely blown away. Everything about it is perfect. From the incredible, hilarious dialogue (some of the best I've read in a game) to the utterly amazing soundtrack and out there character design - but to top it all off, the pure emotion conveyed in the game, far surpasses anything else I think I've played.

And it's not contrived 'oh here's when a main character dies, time to feel sad' emotion, it's far more mature and genuine.

Just to note, the translation is really something else. I believe one of the guys involved is a professional localizer and the care put into it resulted in something probably far better than Nintendo could have put out.

Yeah it's an incredible game. I found it spelt out it's themes more than earthbound but was no less great. Even one thing that kind of annoyed me was handled really well in the end,
    one of the bad guys identities being very obvious but right near the end you ask the dad and he says he knew who it was all along, just like the player did, but just refused to accept it.

Ultimately I feel the whole thing is about accepting the past and moving on with your life and not letting it dictate your life. Most of the problems stem from that and it fits nicely in with the ending
    the destruction of the world but ultimately for it to be rebuilt anew.
    I loved that ending so much I can't put my finger on why but I choke up thinking about it.

Master of the Universe

Ultimately I feel the whole thing is about accepting the past and moving on with your life and not letting it dictate your life. Most of the problems stem from that and it fits nicely in with the ending
    the destruction of the world but ultimately for it to be rebuilt anew.

The post ending part (where it literally says 'end?' and you can walk around in darkness, only to discover all the characters are still alive) sums up exactly what you mean about moving on with your life and I think you're spot on. All the characters are wishing you well (as in YOU, the player) you don't want to let go of them and finish the game (and 'move on' with your life) but they help you along and reassure you... it's really not something I've witnessed before in a game and would definitely leave you with a lump in your manly throat!

Spoiler alerts aside, I was really pleasantly surprised with the battle system in the game. It's a huge improvement on Earthbound's. Some of the boss battles were quite tricky!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My son is playing Earthbound now and loving it.

As much as I love Mother 3,
    it always bothered me that they went and buried Hinawa whilst Flint was still locked up. Still, I love how casually the game confronts the player with most likely fighting the reanimated corpse of your mother; it's just a random encounter like any other

• Advertisement

Well what I got from that was
    as Leder explained the villagers were all brainwashed and never had to deal with such a violent event before.

Well what I got from that was
    as Leder explained the villagers were all brainwashed and never had to deal with such a violent event before.

Aye, I've heard that one before, but it still niggles at me slightly. As you know, barely even tints, let alone taints, the story.
    Kinda adding to your point about closure and letting go, I like how they frame the Earthbound/Eagleland references into Pokey's characterisation; the obscuring view of nostalgia and the not all too subtle hint at it being a run-off of full-on mentalism, like 'Tunnel of Earthbound' near the closing of the game and Pokey outright jettisoning any reference to what he put the Eagleland crew through.

Anybody a survivor of the original Rayman? I'm playing the GBA version, which is not the best from the off, but wow, for something so consistently cheap (unforeseeable pitfalls, wonky hit-detection and whatnot), it still manages to stay playable throughout.

The Playstation and Saturn originals were just as cheap.
    For a game that looked like a kids cartoon it s incredibly hard.

Hmm, just finished it there a couple hour ago. Wasn't sorry I played it, nor that it ended. It's dogged by a lot of those token statements that get thrown at slightly iffy platformers; trial-and-error, left-field difficulty spikes and an engine that sometimes can't even abide by its own physics. Are the 3D sequels worth a bash? Yanno, personal recommendation? Origins and Legends seem like the series zenith thus far. I'm probably trolling someone with that sentence, I'm guessing.

Moved onto a GBA game called Lady Sia, which is a nifty action-platformer. Seemingly there's a 90s/Early 00s European gaming theme going on at the moment.

Rayman 2 is probably my favourite 3d platformer after Mario 64, and though it appears originally on the N64 it also is available on the DS and in spectacular form on the 3DS.
    Really is well worth picking it up.

Rayman 2 is best on the dreamcast and PC. Rayman 3 is great as well.

Master of the Universe

Jaysus my right arm is killing me this morning (oooh errr Matron etc :pac:)

Yesterday I loaded loads of PS2 lightgun games onto the HDD and spent a few hours playing them all.

Time Crisis 2
    Time Crisis 3
    Crisis Zone
    End Game
    Gunvari Collection (Point Blank Jap release, also comes with the original Time Crisis!)

In the meantime, also got my hands on;

Biohazard: Gun Survivor 2
    Virtua Cop Elite Edition
    Death Crimson OX
    Gunfighter II - Revenge of Jesse James

I didn't realize the PS2 had so many lightgun games! There are still a few more I haven't got yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Check out Vampire Night

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Thank you sir :) will get it now.

Advertisement