Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Yep, that was me last year looking for Chanel perfume for the mother. I don't know why they feel the need to make it so complicated...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yesterday evening I played a couple of hours of Goldeneye for the first time in ages.

You know what, it was actually quite enjoyable.

With the shoddy original n64 pad out of the way and the hori one in it's place, it felt far more controllable.

Saying that, the one analog stick control system is really archaic in our modern world of dual stick controls, the framerate does chug along, but there's something there which is still very playable.

One thing which caught me by surprise, the draw distance. It's a lot better than I was expecting. When you get onto the top of the dam, you can see all the way to the end of it, even picking little tiny dudes off in the distant watchtowers with the sniper rifle.

I think I'll stick with it, interested to see how the rest of the levels hold up.

The dam level is very well designed. Some of the later levels are stinkers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The dam level is very well designed. Some of the later levels are stinkers.

Protecting Natalya later on is a pure pig of a mission.
    Otherwise the variable missions depending on difficulty was brilliant, not saying they were first but they implemented it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Of Orcs and Men on the PS3, enjoyable tactical/rpg fantasy romp...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Flicking through the marvel and capcom cross over fighters on the cab, via groovymame.

They still look amazing today. Very vibrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Flicking through the marvel and capcom cross over fighters on the cab, via groovymame.

They still look amazing today. Very vibrant.

xmen vs street fighter is gorgeous on a CRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

X-Men versus street fighter on my cab. Using groovymame at 31k with fake scanlines

IMAG0733_zpshg755hqy.jpg

IMAG0732_zpsfiuamatw.jpg

IMAG0728_zpsscevd8mv.jpg

IMAG0730_zps3n2tvo7m.jpg

IMAG0736_zps84dbjdms.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,476 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Windwaker is such an incredible game. I knew it was going to be good, but it's very quickly turning into my favourite Zelda game after ALTTP.

Visually I find it far superior to OOT, Twilight Princess and the more serious ones. The cel shaded style is far more in tune with the Snes game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's just a pity they rushed the last third though, and that knocks it down a peg or so, seems to be the only one they released incomplete AMD quite out of character for the developer and the franchise.
    As a more casual Zelda fan I really enjoyed Twilight Princess as a kind of Greatest Hits of the series, seeing as how it borrows so heavily and makes straight lifts from previous games in the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Windwaker is such an incredible game. I knew it was going to be good, but it's very quickly turning into my favourite Zelda game after ALTTP.

Visually I find it far superior to OOT, Twilight Princess and the more serious ones. The cel shaded style is far more in tune with the Snes game.

I've set myself the task of playing & completing it over the Summer holidays, I've neglected it for far too long (only ever played about 2 hours of it)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    I've set myself the task of playing & completing it over the Summer holidays, I've neglected it for far too long (only ever played about 2 hours of it)

As a fellow LTTP fan, definitely do. Its the only 3rd person Zelda game that comes close to having a similar feel to the 2d games.

The stealth part at the start of the game is incredibly annoying. (Its why I'm only playing it properly now!) But once you get it done the game opens up.

As Cideman said, the only down side is it was a bit rushed towards the end (two dungeons were removed). I'm at a stage now where I'd love for it to go on for another 10 hours but I think theres only about half that left.

Nintendo really need to make a sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nintendo really need to make a sequel.

They've made two ;)

Master of the Universe

They've made two ;)

Hah! You know what I mean :P

I never did play through Spirit Tracks. Might go back to it once I've finished this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I lost interest in Spirit Tracks near the end. The dungeons were reliably inventive and a big improvement from Phantom Hourglass, but the train was probably the worst 'gimmick' / signature feature of the Zelda series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I lost interest in Spirit Tracks near the end. The dungeons were reliably inventive and a big improvement from Phantom Hourglass, but the train was probably the worst 'gimmick' / signature feature of the Zelda series.

Exact same thing happened to me. I got pretty far into it, but for whatever reason stopped & never went back to it. The thoughts of that train mechanic prevented me from ever starting over :(

Master of the Universe

Yep, I played it for a little bit but felt like I was playing a train simulator. And not a good one!

I know a lot of people (/cough Johnny Ultimate :pac:) had issues with repeating dungeons in Phantom Hourglass but I absolutely loved that game. Haven't played it since release mind you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never played Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass left a bad impression. I didn't even mind the dungeon you have to repeat it was more how insultingly easy the game was. A little bit of challenge instead of so easy you'll never see the game over screen would have made it such a better game.

Master of the Universe

Windwaker is also piss easy but its a damn fine game.

Windwaker is also piss easy but its a damn fine game.

True but I found phantom hourglass on a whole different level of insultingly easy. It's hard to explain but it's like in Phantom Hourglass you really had to go out of your way to die, it was harder to die in the game than finish it.

I just got p1ssed of tramping around dungeons in Phantom throwing a boomerang.

• Advertisement

A PS1 game called ray tracers, pretty fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

airmax87 wrote: »
    A PS1 game called ray tracers, pretty fun.

Saw the CGR review of that, looks really fun. Is it as short as he says?

Saw the CGR review of that, looks really fun. Is it as short as he says?

It's a shmup so it's going to be short if you credit feed it but then again if you credit feed a shmup it's your own fault for spoiling it.

I'd actually get Ray Storm the previous game in the series and IMO far better (or even the game before that, Layer Section/Galactic Attack which is better again and one of the best looking 2D games of all time)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a shmup so it's going to be short if you credit feed it but then again if you credit feed a shmup it's your own fault for spoiling it.

I'd actually get Ray Storm the previous game in the series and IMO far better (or even the game before that, Layer Section/Galactic Attack which is better again and one of the best looking 2D games of all time)
    Tis not a shmup, It's a racing game where you bash other cars , then a boss vehicle, but it happens to be made by taito too.

EDIT: Also

tumblr_nhp580VgiA1u2ftudo1_1280.jpg

Facepalm. Thought it was Ray Crisis.

They were both out at the same time.
    Ray Crisis is on Taito GNet hardware and Ray Tracers looks very very nice on the PS1 but is incredibly easy and short, but a good little game nevertheless.

My guess is the name refers to the lighting effects as much as anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Not retro but just cleared The Last of Us on the PS4, fantastic game! Onto the DLC now

Rival schools for PSX
    tumblr_nhv4fcYWKh1u2ftudo1_1280.jpg

Master of the Universe

The Triforce shard collecting quest in Windwaker has to be one of the most mind numbingly boring fech quests ever. Talk about taking all the forward momentum and steam out of the game right at the end.

Shame they didn't remove it from the HD version and reinstate the missing dungeons.

• Advertisement

I think they shortened it in the HD version. At that stage I actually juat went and visited all the islands in each sector of the map and picked up the pieces as I went. There's some nice things to find on them (and some awfully boring cut and paste stuff).

At least you have one of the most visually impressive final battles ever to look forward to. It's worth it!

Advertisement