Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

And Ninja Assault.

Think you've pretty much covered all the major ps2 light gun games then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Resident Evil Dead Aim is surprisingly great and a canon resi game.

The PS2 version of Virtual Cop and the sequel is a thing of beauty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ghoul Patrol
    A point blank reskin for Halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Any Legend of Kage 2(NDS) fans up in the shop?

Controls can be a pain in the bollocks, but I imagine it'd go down well in these parts. It's hard, but unlimited continues and well check-pointed. Muncho action-platformer goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Recently played thru `Brothers` on PS3, nice little indy title. Now playing Arkham Asylum for the first time, can't beat the PS+ freebies :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have yet to play Arkham City, only ever played the court room scene, after that I move on to something else.
    Must go back and get into it sometime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Any Legend of Kage 2(NDS) fans up in the shop?

Controls can be a pain in the bollocks, but I imagine it'd go down well in these parts. It's hard, but unlimited continues and well check-pointed. Muncho action-platformer goodness.

It's hard to believe such a great game was spawned by such a ****ty one.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's hard to believe such a great game was spawned by such a ****ty one.

I'm guessing that means I shouldn't bother going near it afterwards? I'm already 2/3rds the way through 2 and itching to line up something else.

Nope, the original Legend of Kage is a pile of Poo. Legend of Kage 2 however is great. I did however quite like demon sword on the NES which is a sort of Kage sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm rewatching Twin Peaks at the moment for the first time in what must me about 15 years (almost at the end now) and although I remember Deadly Premonition had lots of homages, wow, the sheer number!

Was reading up on it a bit more this morning and apparently the original ideas in the game were just so similar that they had to make a lot of changes.

Which is pretty mental considering the amount of similarities which still remain. In fact, if you changed the title to 'Twin Peaks the videogame' there's not much else you'd need to do really.

Saying that, it's reminded me how much I loved Deadly Premonition. I think I might give it another playthrough in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I'd argue it's pretty shameless at times, bordering on outright theft occasionally!

I really enjoyed Deadly Premonition and it has enough delightful ideas and quotes of its own (Twin Peaks doesn't have The Whistle Song - so says Mr Stewart), but the fact that so many ideas, images and even characters were so derivative of Twin Peaks took away from the experience at least a little bit.

Master of the Universe

Thankfully as I played Deadly Premonition so many years after watching Twin Peaks, I didn't realize that it lifted so much. Maybe a replay might be best avoided... :pac:

For example I thought the whole Zach thing was just a bit of oddness out of nowhere but it's clearly Twin Peak's Agent Cooper speaking into his dictaphone - minus the dictaphone.

I'd say the original version of Deadly Premonition had a dictaphone, but they just decided to remove it for fear of rip off accusations. (but didn't want to remove the monologues).

So I've a feeling Zach stems less from premeditated weirdness/wanting to make the main character seem a bit schizophrenic to actually being just an interesting side effect at avoiding plagiarism. (which they decided to run with)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope, the original Legend of Kage is a pile of Poo.

Just wondering if you've any opinions on the remake that popped up on that PSP Taito comp? I'm finding nothing online about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

I was playing Spyro the Dragon yesterday for half an hour, great game :)

Just wondering if you've any opinions on the remake that popped up on that PSP Taito comp? I'm finding nothing online about it.

First I even heard of it existing.

Goddamnit, Retr0. Info is thin on the ground, beyond a tidbit on Wiki and a couple of let's-plays that I can't summon the patience to watch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Little bit of an arcade vibe with the office/gamesroom this afternoon - the eldest was playing Injustice on the PC, the youngest playing Sonic & Comix Zone on the MD while I toiled away at Image Fight on the Saturn. Such a hard game that is, Jedi reflexes are needed. Has that 'one more go' appeal to it though. I was playing it on the vert B&O with the HHS-0136 which is damn sweet, but I was thinking it would be even sweeter to play it on the cab with The Last Bandit's jamma yokey-bob. ;)

Image Fight was apparently the inspiration for Radiant Silvergun.

Not retro but more late to the party but I've been playing a lot of Fallout New Vegas recently. It's amazing and is pretty much the game Fallout 3 should have been. The quest design is so good and so much fun.

Master of the Universe

Image fight is touted as one of the hardest classic type shmups ever made. It's hard as balls. I can't get anywhere in it at all :pac:

Yeah Fallout NV is far more like the original Fallout games than 3 was. I cannot wait until the next installment in the series. Would prompt me to buy a new console/new PC/something new and expensive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Playing Chip n Dale on the NES at the minute, shockingly I've never played it. It's a simple little game but really fun and the music is good too, takes me back to watching the cartoon as a kid.

I just bought an Everdrive N8 so I'm looking forward to trying out some of those NES titles that I'll never get my hands on - Little Samson etc. Just hope having access to that doesn't ruin my appreciation of the original carts, I put off buying one for that very reason but decided to bite the bullet in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Bought a game on Steam today called Woah Dave! because a friend of a friend did the graphics.

It's alright but It mostly makes me want to play Joust instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

2K2UM
    tumblr_ney7g6zQ4k1u2ftudo1_1280.jpg

KoF '02:UM was when Eoilith finally got their **** in regards to series, isn't it? I remember it was the KoF I encountered most in arcades on my travels.

KOF 2001 was the only one that sucked really by them. I think they also made the sucky Samurai Showdown as well though before getting their **** together as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

KoF '02:UM was when Eoilith finally got their **** in regards to series, isn't it? I remember it was the KoF I encountered most in arcades on my travels.
    UM' came out in 08' for X360 and PS2, its 2002 with a giant roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I went to play Destiny last night but servers were down.
    I then went to play Mario Kart 8 with updated DLC but the DLC was taking forever to download so...

I slotted in the Mega Drive Collection disk into my 360 and played me some Shinobi 3 and Streets of Rage 3.

Its been a looooong while since I played Streets of Rage 3 and I must say I didnt really care for it. Its ok but I much prefer 1 and 2. Music and gameplay just seemed to be lacking something.

Shinobi 3 imo on the other hand is just fantastic still to this day. I loved every second of it and Im better at it now than when I was young thankfully so got a decent way through without the save states.

Now that I have a mega drive I must start buying some of these classics to get the true experience.

Nice to take a step back from Destiny though for something completely different.

The japanese version of Streets of Rage 3 is far better. The damage you do is halved in the US version and the damage you take is doubled and it just makes the game far more frustrating and just not a whole lot of fun.

Master of the Universe

Streets of Rage 3 is a very frustrating experience alright. They had a great game at their disposal and completely butchered it when it was Westernized.

Although, that ****e music is still in the Japanese version :D

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Playing Namco Museum DS and Sonic Classics Collection on my DSI XL.

• Advertisement

Played some MK8 last night and the new additions are excellent.
    I honestly can't see this game being surpassed on any other format, at least in this genre.

Advertisement