Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought the saturn european cases are absolute arse. Stupid flimsy cardboard things like the old Warner Bros. DVD cases. At least they changed them near the end of it's life.

As for lunar I tried to play it ages ago due to the hype but got really bored of it and working designs stupidly ramped up the difficulty so you have to grind in it. Lunar 2 Silver Star Story is meant to be much much better though.

Enjoy Vagrant Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    For some reason the PSone cases really suck, always breaking, not as bad as the Dreamcast cases though, those things want to die!
    Only the Saturn cases seem to have stood the test of time, for two reasons, one, they were better built, both the older plastic and cardboard cases and the later tall, DVD style cases, and the other reason is that no one opened them much because no one played the thing, they were all too busy playing Wipeout and Ridgeracer on the PS, broken cases and all!

As breakable as PSone cases are, and as much as I hate cardboard, I still long for the days when consoles had their own unique style of case.

I'm really hating this generic dvd case crap that's been going on for the last few years. Sure, they keep the disc safe...but where's the originality?!

I don't know at what point I became obsessed with cases by the way. And yes, I am aware how sad it is!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the other reason is that no one opened them much because no one played the thing, they were all too busy playing Wipeout and Ridgeracer on the PS, broken cases and all!

it's true, it's all true, Wipeout was such a classic game IMO, picked up a perfect copy of it in an aware shop couple of months ago. I have still yet to bother to play any of the 3 copies of virtua fighter on the Saturn that I really really wanted to do last year.

Just going into blanch now for more big tubs to house all the stuff I've been building up.

I now need a spectrum, commodore and Atari case, for some reason I now have 8 gamecubes, 5 of which are boxed and only one of which is non standard. I mean how many megadrives can one have? I play them once a year at christmas when the lads are all back home. They only want the classics anyway.

I think I've learned to stop at this stage though, I don't need anymore gamecubes.

I might take a list of what I have, maybe there is some sort of reasonable exchange system that could be operated, i have stuff i don't need but i want to keep it for some reason, don't want to sell it, maybe i should post this in PI.

Master of the Universe

Stoner wrote: »
    I might take a list of what I have, maybe there is some sort of reasonable exchange system that could be operated, i have stuff i don't need but i want to keep it for some reason, don't want to sell it, maybe i should post this in PI.

We have been trying to get something like this going on here.

Give it some support! ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055656911

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well I would like to say i am restarting FF8 while I wait for Borderlands (2 weeks...just 2 weeks...breathe....calm blue ocean) but alas, it seems disc 1 and 2 dont work anymore, I just get a black screen after the PS logo.

Sigh...Im having a bad day :( .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah well it's not that bad really. FFVIII really isn't very good at all and the translation and story are awful (although so bad it's funny in many places).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah well it's not that bad really. FFVIII really isn't very good at all and the translation and story are awful (although so bad it's funny in many places).

Got to love Retro. He is the Final Fantasy Mod and he is their worse critic :D

I was against the forming of the forum as well :)

I'm alright with FF if it's FFIV, FFV. FFVI, FFIX, FFX and FFTactics. I stomach FFXII only because I understand it's not my type of game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was against the forming of the forum as well :)

I'm alright with FF if it's FFIV, FFV. FFVI, FFIX, FFX and FFTactics. I stomach FFXII only because I understand it's not my type of game.

Should've been a JRPG forum rather then just ff

Definitely, especially with Square Enix nose diving in quality and Shin Megami Tensei and the other lesser known but better franchises coming to the fore front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Giving Pro Evolution a break, I play it too much. Fired up the Super Nintendo...well, FC Twin, late last night and progressed a little in Zombies Ate My Neighbours, then played a little Super Mario Brothers 3 and actually didn't suck, this morning played Castlevania for a bit. I like that game alot, its probably my favourite NES game that I've played to date.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Hmm don't know what to play, Crash or Tomb Raider 3. Suggestions?

Master of the Universe

Which Crash? I really love the original. Fairly sure it was the first ps game I ever played. Really made an impression - still looks great too.

Wouldn't really be arsed with any Tomb Raider after the first one to be honest. I bought all three back when they came out (Teenage boy, don't ask!) but the 2nd and 3rd really didn't come close to the first.

Nothing compares to that T-rex moment.

'OMFG, THE T-REX HAS FOLLOWED ME FROM THAT DAMN DEMO DISC AND HE'S PISSED!!'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I ended up playing a bit of both. It's Crash 2, I have the first one but it's too badly scratched to play. I loved crash 2 when I was younger, a friend of mine had it and I'd always play it at her house (yes a girl gamer! :O) I used to have TR3 when I was younger aswell but I could never do the story mode so I'd just p1ss about Lara's house trying to shoot the butler.

Master of the Universe

Sure give the oul toothpaste trick a go on Crash 1. If you stick with it you'll probably get it working again.

Crash 2 was the one with the polar bears and going up and down a lift in the center of a room wasn't it? I also think I remember jetpack type levels. Great game!

I enjoyed the first TR game but not many after. Always loss interest.

Crash was good. No mario or sonic but it was fun :D

Master of the Universe

Well it was better than any 3D Sonic game ever made.

Imagine if Crash Bandicoot had in fact been the first proper 3D Sonic game? Take out Crash and put the blue Hedgehog in.

For some reason in my head that seems to work.

I'm just picturing those boulder chase levels with Sonic speeding along.

How do you do the toothpase trick and what type of toothpaste do you use? I tried it before and it actually scratched the disc more, probably because I was doing it wrong or using the wrong toothpaste. Yes thats crash 2 alright, and it is a great game. Just a fun little platformer to pick up and play every now and again :)

Master of the Universe

You will need -

Toothpaste (Usually use colgate as that's what's around the house)

A soft sock or something similar

Access to a sink!

The toothpaste puts small scratches on the disc. It's how it works. There's an abrasive in it, so you're getting rid of the big scratch by putting smaller ones down over it and burning a small layer of the disc off.

Discs read in a circular pattern, so you want to isolate the scratches that are following the circle around. Scratches that go from the centre out to the edge probably aren't the problem.

So when you're rubbing on the toothpaste on the scratch with the sock (about a pea sized amount) only go from the centre of the disc out to the edge and back again. Don't go around in circles.

Wash the toothpaste off, dry the disc and put it in the machine.

If it doesnt work, repeat until it does! Sometimes takes quite some time but it's worth it in the end for the satisfaction of getting a broken game working again.

Thanksfor that, does it matter if the toothpaste has "whitening crystals" or stuff like that in it?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Hmmm. I would imagine if it's safe to use on your teeth and gums then it should be safe to use on a plastic disc! I think the main ingredient of importance is meant to be the baking soda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

After hearing that Ryo Hazuki is a part of the new Sega Racing game, I went back to Shenmue 2. Weird playing a game on the 360 and getting no achievements. It's holding up well for it's age though. Now can we have a 3rd episode please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, so you can hang around in bars and pick up sailors!

After the toothpaste trick at least your collections will be minty fresh!

Yum! mint. I'll try it now after I have lunch and see how it goes

Just got it working there first time :D thanks o1s! (I would give you thanks but I'm using the DSi and therefore boards mobile) It's a very very good game from what I've played so far :D

Master of the Universe

Just got it working there first time :D thanks o1s! (I would give you thanks but I'm using the DSi and therefore boards mobile) It's a very very good game from what I've played so far :D

Ah nice one! another one saved from death! Glad I could help out. Spread the word, toothpaste rocks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

After the toothpaste trick at least your collections will be minty fresh!

Is this what it means on eBay when they say that the secondhand games are in mint condition?

*punchline drum noise*

Master of the Universe

Is this what it means on eBay when they say that the secondhand games are in mint condition?

What an apt username.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I have a copy of Midtown Madness 3 for the Xbox that I never got working, must have a crack at it,
    NoOOOOO, Snaaaake!
    She bought BLUE MINTY GEL!!!!!!

Arse!

Now I'll have to wait til it runs out before I have a go,

Or go completely mad and buy a tube of Colgate for myself,

And why has no one else mentioned cavity prevention?

A Bit Of A Comedian, are you asleep on the job?

Advertisement