Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hope the Transformers mentioned isn't the lousy movie adaptations and is instead the excellent pre-movie edition, it's awesome! Although a little easy!
    I picked up the Directors Cut version of the PS2 game a year or two ago for pittance.

It's the pre-movie edition CiDeR. Very good game. Have gotten to the final level but just realised I need to go back through previous levels to find missing minicons in order to clear the last level, which is a huge task in itself. All the levels I previously cleared now seem much harder too. It's a deadly shooter, graphics are quite good. I especially liked the CGI cutscenes, they were great. I like when a game surprises you like that, your not thinking its going to be too good but it rocked :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, a great game, and so much better than all the versions of the Movie license that came out later.
    Odd that, isn't it.
    Amazing that no one in Hasbro, the people who played the original PS2 edition didn't call the shots and ask why they were being insulted with games based on the two movies.
    Better perhaps to just repackage the PS2 game, for the PSP at least, could have been the best one!

At least none of the Transformer games were as bad as the recent license GI Joe, I believe it's truely pitiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

CCCP^ wrote: »
    It's the pre-movie edition CiDeR. Very good game. Have gotten to the final level but just realised I need to go back through previous levels to find missing minicons in order to clear the last level, which is a huge task in itself. All the levels I previously cleared now seem much harder too. It's a deadly shooter, graphics are quite good. I especially liked the CGI cutscenes, they were great. I like when a game surprises you like that, your not thinking its going to be too good but it rocked :)

is this the one with the huge tidalwave in it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, the weakest part of the game in my humble opinion, a nasty little war of attrition between you and a franly god-like decepticon, with you spending a good deal of your time hiding behind a shaggin' rock.
    Very disappointing to be honest after the genius of the rest of the game.

Hmm, lashing through the jungle as Red Alert in car mode, sighting enemies over a cliff, hitting transform and landing in their midst to kick their ass, nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Finally managed to get some Neo-Geo games on to my Dingoo, and my god how great is Metal Slug to play. Glorious killing of enemy soldiers, blowing up tanks etc etc., makes me wish it was 1992 and I had a bag full of 20p's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

atariman wrote: »
    akes me wish it was 1992 and I had a bag full of 20p's :)

Unfortunately if it was 1992, you'd have to wait another 4 years to play Metal Slug :D

It's my own favourite run and gun game. Really doesn't get any better. The animations are just the height of 2D.

Now, back to trying to 1 credit the damn thing..!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

I'm playing the game of posting on Boards at work without being seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

'96? Wow really thought it was older than that. And 1 credit??!! That i'd pay a bag of 20p's to see :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Playing Driver on PS1 a cracking game. A quick google tells me the sequels are fairly iffy and i shouldnt bother.

Also playing track and field on the DC, exactly what i expect it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

atariman wrote: »
    And 1 credit??!! That i'd pay a bag of 20p's to see :pac:

Just takes a bit of practice! You need to focus on dodging the bullets rather than shooting the enemy. Sounds obvious but you'd be suprised how many people get caught up ripping through the enemy with a machine gun and get shot themselves.

It's easier to do in Metal Slug X. Actually it's fairly easy to get through the first three levels of Metal Slug X without taking a hit at all.

• Advertisement

Driver was awesome, we were invited to see a pre-release of the game and were all blown away by it, looking back it all feels a bit embarrassing!
    But it laid down a template followed by GTAIII and at least it didn't suck as badly as Driver3 did!
    Oh, and the game was totally spoiled by the next to impossible final mission.

Still going with Transformers, started Doom 64, played some Sonic Unleashed also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Driver was awesome, we were invited to see a pre-release of the game and were all blown away by it, looking back it all feels a bit embarrassing!
    But it laid down a template followed by GTAIII and at least it didn't suck as badly as Driver3 did!
    Oh, and the game was totally spoiled by the next to impossible final mission.

It was spoiled as well by a next to impossible opening training mission as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Driver was great, never did manage to complete the final mission though.

The only explanation for Driv3r was that it was released before it was finished, some parts of the game worked quite well and the environments were good, but it didn't hang together at all and other parts of the gameplay were completely broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Took up 1080 Avalanche again after two years of neglecting it, and it was surprisingly good. I immediately stopped playing the first time I picked it up, because I didn't give it a chance in the shadow of the original. It's such an adrenaline rush to play. The extreme mode was hard on the first completion, but, after and once you get the opportunity to unlock the rocket board, it's piss-easy unlocking the secret characters of all the boarders.

It doesn't quite have an addictive trick system as its predecessor: I don't like the combo system and the grinds are tacky. It's a better racer, though. And you can't beat going down Wit's Thicket with Kemen on the rocket.

Nintendo do know how to create great racing games.

1080 Avalanche, a great game sadly lost to most as everyone else was playing the frankly brilliant Amped and Amped 2 on the Xbox...

But 1080 Snowboarding on the N64, now that was awesome!
    No one else had even tried to do the sport that way, and building on the controls of Waverace 64 they produced a masterpiece.

Wonder if the Wii will get a new version?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Driver was an awesome game! loved it! me and my friends used always go to a residential corner in the first map where there was this small bridge with a crazy incline, write off as many cop cars as possible, line them up neatly and then try to jump over or onto them or something, the trick was trying to not get them to disappear when you went to do your massive run up to the ramp, great times.

PLaying street fighter 2 turbo at the moment, guile is a terrible character in this while he's effective in street figther 4 with pretty much the same moves,odd, Dhalsiam will always be crap though :p

Why don't they have that mode in sf4 where you each select a character and play till one person loses all his players can't think now but i think it was elimination, love that.

Sorry about the long badly written post, im very tired

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

1080 on the N64 gave me hours of enjoyment, i remember a 1080 being an absolute pain to pull off. And racing against the ice man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hama33

playing Breath of Fire II on snes atm!

hama33 wrote: »

Excellent choice, I will be firing it up myself tomorrow evening I think, either that or mystic quest, anybody got any views on which one I should play, im not pushed either way............

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I do. Play Breath of Fire 2 because mystic quest is a big heap of arsehole that shouldn't be played by anyone with any taste in videogames because it's ****ing ****.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah I do. Play Breath of Fire 2 because mystic quest is a big heap of arsehole that shouldn't be played by anyone with any taste in videogames because it's ****ing ****.

Someones got an issue with mystic quest???? what happened? couldn't finish it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Final Doom: Plutonia Experiment

I regret not buying the huge rectangular Doom box set from years back, along with the cheesy Doom medallion.. £15 Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

Amalgam wrote: »
    ... cheesy Doom medallion.. £15 Bargain.

*want*

Snesfan wrote: »
    Someones got an issue with mystic quest???? what happened? couldn't finish it? :p

It's not that I couldn't finish it, it's that I couldn't be bothered. It's way too easy and it's just an overall crap game. Square completely got their market wrong their making a dumbed down RPG for the west.

Amped 2 for the Xbox.

Genius game. Anyone played this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Right, I'm gonna throw this out there, maybe it was mentioned before but it truely was one of the best Xbox games ever made.
    Psychonauts... F_cking love that game, one of the most trippy games ever made and a great story too.

I don't have it anymore but would really love to track it down.

Anyone ever play it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

hama33 wrote: »

wow, Im really liking this game :d

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

Tallon wrote: »
    Right, I'm gonna throw this out there, maybe it was mentioned before but it truely was one of the best Xbox games ever made.
    Psychonauts... F_cking love that game, one of the most trippy games ever made and a great story too.

I don't have it anymore but would really love to track it down.

Anyone ever play it?

I think it's on XBLM

/edit - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d4a07d2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Didn't Psychonauts drag a publishing house to its demise?

It never sold well at the time it came out on the various consoles. A huge ad campaign that never really turned into sales. Pity. The fickle public don't always buy the 'better' game.

Advertisement