Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

trout wrote: »

Don't have a 360... But ill track it down!
    Cheers for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Tallon wrote: »
    Right, I'm gonna throw this out there, maybe it was mentioned before but it truely was one of the best Xbox games ever made.
    Psychonauts... F_cking love that game, one of the most trippy games ever made and a great story too.

I don't have it anymore but would really love to track it down.

Anyone ever play it?

Picked it up a dozen times in places but just wasn't pushed to play it :/ not too cheap either on ebay, seems to be going for around 8-12 sterling, about 15 euros so :/

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Picked it up a dozen times in places but just wasn't pushed to play it :/ not too cheap either on ebay, seems to be going for around 8-12 sterling, about 15 euros so :/
    Yeah, thats the cheapest I could find it, ex P&P

If you can get a hold of it, play it.. You won't put it down :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ahhh, just got Halo ODST, no retro gaming for the next week or two I reckon!
    Although, a bit of Megadrive and Snes on the old PSP should do it!
    Also, got very nice 2600 and Colecovision emus plus the "other" requisites the other day, now I can play Looping and Defender II to my hearts content, also on the PSP!

The only thing this little wunder-console can't do is run a good stable Mame, the one I got kept crashing the PSP, feck! And I have an old but still good, lets call it "rum" set for it too, bugger!

Yeah, thats the cheapest I could find it, ex P&P

If you can get a hold of it, play it.. You won't put it down :)

I got it today in gamestop, was that or odinsphere but went with psychonauts instead and have played about 20 minutes of it so far and genuinely liked it for the odd humour and quirkyness. It might look tastier on an xbox id imagine.

• Advertisement

I got it today in gamestop, was that or odinsphere but went with psychonauts instead and have played about 20 minutes of it so far and genuinely liked it for the odd humour and quirkyness. It might look tastier on an xbox id imagine.

thats on the PS2, yeah?
    It's really addictive once you get into it, the first bit (ranch) can be annoying, but it gets very very creative

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Gamestop had a deal for Psychonauts (PS2) and other games of €3 plus a trade-in to buy a few months ago. Enter for Matrix, which I got for nothing anyway, was put to some use, at last.

Even if the trading idea is shot down, shouldn't this forum at least have a stickied thread where we can all post good deals for retro, rare or soon-to-be-rare games or another thread where members can post what games they're looking out for and would appreciate a heads-up?

Sure start a thread, if theres enough info and it takes off im sure it'll be stickied!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Sure start a thread, if theres enough info and it takes off im sure it'll be stickied!

It'd be best if a moderator starts it. Original post would have to be maintained. And I don't have any information that would justify making the thread. ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We just need to be more proactive in that trading thread over in the forums forum. It's a perfectly good idea.

Once they dissapear off the main page the chances of them being made go down and down. They just get forgotten about.

• Advertisement

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Even if the trading idea is shot down...

That's news to me, why did the shoot it down? ffs...
    Tallon wrote:
    thats on the PS2, yeah?
    It's really addictive once you get into it, the first bit (ranch) can be annoying, but it gets very very creative

Yeah for the PS2, it was like 20 euro, not cheap but it was new and I decided to buy it over Odinsphere which was used and the same price. I'm playing through Orleander's mind now, I like it so far, thanks for the recommendation :)

Master of the Universe

I'm fairly sure he meant 'Hypothetically, even if the trading forum was shot down..' and not 'seeing as the trading forum idea was shot down'

I can't see any reason why it would be. Other than it being forgotten about.

Yeah for the PS2, it was like 20 euro, not cheap but it was new and I decided to buy it over Odinsphere which was used and the same price. I'm playing through Orleander's mind now, I like it so far, thanks for the recommendation :)

Awe I really want it now, think Ill just order the ebay one

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Feck ya,I'm all intrigued about this game too (Psychonauts).Reviews on megacritic are excellent and some good video's on youtube are shoving me toward ebay too. Must resist urge to buy.

Feck ya,I'm all intrigued about this game too (Psychonauts).Reviews on megacritic are excellent and some good video's on youtube are shoving me toward ebay too. Must resist urge to buy.

Do it... do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I haven't been playing much. Some mega man 2 on psone and maybe some FFT.

Kinda hold off on getting into any game because I get my PSPGO and Persona PSP next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have Psychonauts for the PS2 and it's amazing, odd that I fall asleep everytime I play though! Perhaps hidden hypnotic suggestions, implanted by the wife, to ween me off games :o

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have Psychonauts for the PS2 and it's amazing, odd that I fall asleep everytime I play though! Perhaps hidden hypnotic suggestions, implanted by the wife, to ween me off games :o

Haha, no I used to do that, and I'd dream I was still playing it... Sad really

I'm back playing Chrono Trigger why i wait for Persona PSP.

Ayla no cry for crono!

Master of the Universe

Managed to pick up a complete copy of Castlevania Symphony of the Night from a German ebay seller for half the usual going price. (Yes, it's in English!)

Once that arrives everything else will be put on the back burner (Sorry Super Metroid). Original playstation will be fished out of the attic along with a D pad only controller.

I've only ever played it via emulation so to say I am excited about this is an understatement.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Managed to pick up a complete copy of Castlevania Symphony of the Night from a German ebay seller for half the usual going price. (Yes, it's in English!)

Once that arrives everything else will be put on the back burner (Sorry Super Metroid). Original playstation will be fished out of the attic along with a D pad only controller.

I've only ever played it via emulation so to say I am excited about this is an understatement.

Amazing game!!

The voice acting can be a little ropey but it adds to the charm. Maria saying Richter is funny as she seems to roll the r.

I bought Grandia 2 for ps2 today for £10. Going to be playing that soon. My PS2 RPG library is getting massive and PSP-2000 is getting hacked back to cfw (for arcade games) when my PSPGO is here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm having trouble keeping up with me PS2 RPGs as well. I blame Shin Megami Tensei. All the games are top notch but so bloody long :(

As for Grandia 2, it's a fantastic game but you are better off getting the Dreamcast version because the PS2 version is a very poor conversion with some awful graphical flaws, the worst of which is the texture flickering that is so bad it can actually give you headaches.

Master of the Universe

Amazing game!!

The voice acting can be a little ropey but it adds to the charm. Maria saying Richter is funny as she seems to roll the r.

I bought Grandia 2 for ps2 today for £10. Going to be playing that soon. My PS2 RPG library is getting massive and PSP-2000 is getting hacked back to cfw (for arcade games) when my PSPGO is here.

Ah yeah there's nothing I love more than hammy ps1 voice acting. The games wouldn't be the same without it.

The last time I played it was on my modded xbox and it started to freeze up a little over half way through. Original hardware is the only way to go! Unless of course the disc is scratched...but then it is coming from Germany. So I would imagine the original owner was very efficient when it comes to putting the disc back in its box :pac:

Have you played Grandia for the ps1? Still have to give it a go myself. Might try and pick it up once I get through SOTN.

Oh and yeah, it's almost as if the PSP was made for arcade game emulation. It really would be amazing if you could someone turn the screen sideways for vertical shooters!

tempted to buy a copy of vagrant story as well. Is this game amazing as people say?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have you played Grandia for the ps1? Still have to give it a go myself. Might try and pick it up once I get through SOTN.

Oh and yeah, it's almost as if the PSP was made for arcade game emulation. It really would be amazing if you could someone turn the screen sideways for vertical shooters!

Grandia on the PS1 is the best of the series. I absolutely love the game. One of the best RPG's on the system and well worth playing. It's a pity we never got an english language saturn version of grandia since it's a much better looking game but the PS1 game is still great even if the sprites are a little low res.

The PSP would be great for vertical shooters. They did that on the Wonderswan where it was designed to be played in either orientation.
    tempted to buy a copy of vagrant story as well. Is this game amazing as people say?

Vagrant Story is a funny game. It's much better than the sum of it's parts. The gameplay isn't really that good. The combat is hard to understand (a tip before you start, you can only do combos to a certain point after which your risk level shoots up and you should stop) and it it's not actually a good combat system really. Fusing good weapons takes ages and isn't really worth it.

However everything else about the game is amazing. The storyline is fantastic with the best translation squaresof thas done. The art and graphics are beautiful. The soundtrack is also Hitoshi Sakimotos best work, there's not one bad track on there.

So it's a game which doesn't play all that well but everything else adds up to make it one of the best games ever.

There is an amazing amount of RPGs from the 32-bit era that i missed. Anyone every play Lunar?

I heard its been re-released on PSP but fans aren't happy due to the original translation not being used.

This arrived in the post today

2wbrvxh.jpg

Its in great shape for such an old game.

Master of the Universe

Nice one!

I'm always amazed when I get a ps1 game with an unbroken case/scratch free disc. Scared too as I have an unatural ability to break those cases. They just seem to fall apart in my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

Trying to get total carnage to run on my snes at the moment, bloody snes cable is broken though!

• Advertisement

Nice one!

I'm always amazed when I get a ps1 game with an unbroken case/scratch free disc. Scared too as I have an unatural ability to break those cases. They just seem to fall apart in my hands.

For some reason the PSone cases really suck, always breaking, not as bad as the Dreamcast cases though, those things want to die!
    Only the Saturn cases seem to have stood the test of time, for two reasons, one, they were better built, both the older plastic and cardboard cases and the later tall, DVD style cases, and the other reason is that no one opened them much because no one played the thing, they were all too busy playing Wipeout and Ridgeracer on the PS, broken cases and all!

Advertisement