Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times/directions for Friday night's passes of the ISS and Space Shuttle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Nope, still too cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

saw it. moved quite fast i have to say. Is the light coming form it, reflection from the sun or artificial? It was quite bright.
    PS I'm a noob

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Wow ! Clear spot at Cork. So bright :)

Yeah, that was cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Perfect viewing over Navan.

PS I'm a noob also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Perfect sighting in Kinnegad. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Very clear here in Monaghan. Seen it from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

newbie2 wrote: »
    saw it. moved quite fast i have to say. Is the light coming form it, reflection from the sun or artificial? It was quite bright.
    PS I'm a noob

I too thought it moved fast, very bright and so fast!! don't know anything about any of it, but was very cool!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Great to see it. Was too cloudy last night. Lovely clear night here in Tallaght. Thought it was very bright myself. The wife didn't believe me at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

That was faster than I expected across the sky to be honest... looked impressive. When I looked at it with binoculars I thought I saw two dots, one under the other - hardly the shuttle....? Most likely, I didnt focus right...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hadouken!!

Perfect view from west Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

I seen it tonight finally!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

perfect sighting in Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

That was a nice pass. Seemed to last longer than the 3 minutes that Heavens Above said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Just saw it - cool! Thanks for the times JD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Saw it bright and clear in Monaghan too....go boys and gals? !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Perfect sighting near Kells. No Cloud at all. Moved quite fast. The only light in the sky at that time so in fairness you couldnt miss it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Amazing, just saw it over Dublin, really clear, it was moving very fast, how is it so bright?

Big thanks to JammyDodger aswell for the times, spot on , thanks for the info , was brilliant to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Great pass alright. Made my girlfriend jump off the couch to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

The only light in the sky at that time so in fairness you couldnt miss it :)
    Yeah, went out to the back garden, looked up and couldn't miss it.
    Cheers for the times bro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

just saw it!! got a lucky break in the clouds ..was great to see it esp as very disappointing last night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭decies

Yep saw it in waterford city just made it through the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

So, when's the next pass? 90 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

seen it clearly in leixlip.very cool.it was really motoring! why now can we see it and not the rest of the year if it passes so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Cloud :( I did see it,But not for a while,It seems we see it more on the approach to Ireland?

When it's still above the atlantic more than south of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

PS I'm a noob
    Yeah I thought it went much faster than it normally does too! If I hadn't had a quick look East I would've missed it. Anyone else find this? I thought it was as bright as normal however. Stellarium says the ISS's altitude (off the ground) is rising, is it being reboosted, does anyone know? Could this explain the speed?

Also, to those who want to know why it's so bright, it's because the sun is still reflecting off it's solar panels. Although we're in darkness, the ISS is high enough to still get the rays of the sun. There's a good illustration in the final page of Wednesday night's shuttle sighting thread.

@df1985. It's visible in Winter also, but it may be more difficult due to poor weather leading to higher cloud cover. Also, the ISS is visible for about a week (correct me if I'm wrong on that) at the evening, isn't visible for another (roughly) week, and then is visible in the early hours of the morning for another week, repeating that cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Guys, just look here for the times:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Ireland

You can also see the actual path of the ISS (and many other satellites here:

http://www.n2yo.com/
    *This should default to viewing the ISS path first, but you can choose the satellite you wish to track by searching it's name (on the right) or choosing from the categories at the top.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

df1985 wrote: »
    seen it clearly in leixlip.very cool.it was really motoring! why now can we see it and not the rest of the year if it passes so much?

Because we're in Darkness yet the ISS is so far up it's catching the sunlight still as it's covered in solar panels they reflect the light...Atleast i think so anyway

For the rest of the year the sun isn't in the right position to reflect or we're either still in Daylight

Sleipnir wrote: »
    So, when's the next pass? 90 mins?

Next pass is at 00:28, it'll rise WSW. It won't be very high though (about 2 fists high held at arms length) and it'll only last about 1.5 minutes.
    df1985 wrote: »

You can see it probably 30% of the nights of the year. It has just become popular because of the whole Shuttle launch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

The one night i have them all out and the path its takin is covered with clouds! Typical! Everywhere clear apart from the path. Thats it is it? No tomo or anythin? When is it coming back to earth!

Advertisement