Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times/directions for Friday night's passes of the ISS and Space Shuttle

Options
  • 17-07-2009 12:47am

I can see lots more people coming into this forum over the course of tonight and tomorrow looking for the times and directions for Friday night, so here they are. By the way, it looks like the Space Shuttle and the ISS will be combined by 8:30 PM tomorrow night, so they'll both pass as one object.

International Space Station (ISS) and Space Shuttle (SS) combined:
    • Rises at 22:53 directly west; sets at 22:59 in the east; they'll reach a max. height of 49 degrees (5 stacked fists held at arms length).
    • Rises at 00:29 WSW; sets at 00:31 in the east; they'll reach a max. height of 16 degrees (~1.5 stacked fists held at arms length). This second pass will be very hard to see.
    For the many people coming into the thread to see the times/directions, you'll want to watch the first pass as the next pass will be extremely difficult to see and not spectacular at all.

Hope this helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

JammyDodger-

Thats excellent :D

Perfect , really handy and so neatly laid out , well done !

Im off to the cot , up at 7am , phew :(

Catch ya Tomorrow k

Tnx and goodnite

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Any predictions for shuttle trailing distances about? I dont see any mention of an expected timeframe on any of the nasa sites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

will we be able to see the shuttle when its returning to earth?

efla wrote: »
    Any predictions for shuttle trailing distances about? I dont see any mention of an expected timeframe on any of the nasa sites

I honestly don't know. The stats above, which are taken from Heavens Above, say that there's still an ~18 minute gap between the two. Surely that can't be right?

will we be able to see the shuttle when its returning to earth?

Yah, it'll be visible for a few nights once it leaves the ISS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Yah, it'll be visible for a few nights once it leaves the ISS.

will it be going in the opposite direction?

I honestly don't know. The stats above, which are taken from Heavens Above, say that there's still an ~18 minute gap between the two. Surely that can't be right?

I'm wondering if the earlier heat shield inspection may have affected predictions, I think it may have run beyond the expected time.

17:55 GMT is still the expected time of dock, so I would imagine any predictions are likely to be off at this point. Either way it will be docked before it becomes visible at the 22:53 pass

That's a good question, and I honestly don't know the answer!
    I'm wondering if the earlier heat shield inspection may have affected predictions, I think it may have run beyond the expected time.

17:55 GMT is still the expected time of dock, so I would imagine any predictions are likely to be off at this point

That's true. I'd imagine that the above may be wrong alright...

I'll leave them up, if Heavens Above changes its predictions tomorrow I'll change these. I'll put a warning in the post to say to check back tomorrow actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The heat shield inspections are routine since the Columbia accident and haven't affected a shuttle schedule yet. Unless they throw up some problem, I don't there'll be delays. Also, if there is a problem with the heat shield, it will have to connect with the ISS regardless (ISS acts like a safety "lifeboat"). It'd also be easier to carry out an EVA on the underside of shuttle from the ISS, or so I'd imagine anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭decies

Nasa site has 10-53pm for iss and shuttle.

• Advertisement

That's a good question, and I honestly don't know the answer!

That's true. I'd imagine that the above may be wrong alright...

I'll leave them up, if Heavens Above changes its predictions tomorrow I'll change these. I'll put a warning in the post to say to check back tomorrow actually.

Were the earlier predictions accurate? I couldn't see with the clouds

decies wrote: »
    Nasa site has 10-53pm for iss and shuttle.

They'll be docked at that stage, so. I'll fix the top post in a sec.
    Were the earlier predictions accurate? I couldn't see with the clouds

Yah, the earlier predictions were absolutely perfect. I suspect that there's something wrong with the above, though. They should be docked at that stage I'd imagine.

I know I asked this before...but will the shuttle not make the ISS brighter? Considering it has a fairly high mag itself, I'm finding it hard to believe it won't even increase it's mag to -4 in the best of conditions (as opposed to the -3.5). Anyone know for sure or will I have to wait and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭squonk

I read somewhere else that the mag increase is in the order of -0.1. To be honest the ISS is already quite bright with the solar panels. Looking at previous missions, I never saw a noticeable increase in ISS brightness when the Shuttle docked. Havign said that, there is some light pollution in my area which does have an impact on my views anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

No it always goes in the same direction west to east. It would take an enormous amount of energy to reverse direction. Dont forget it is travelling at 17500mph. After it undocks both will be visible again for a few days before the shuttle comes home. You will not see the return as it burns its "retro rockets" known as the Orbital Maneuvering system {OMS system} around the Indian ocean. The shuttle turns its rockets {rearend} into the direction of flight and fires them for about 5 min, this knocks off about 300 mph which is just enough to dip its orbit to reenter the atmosphere. It lands 1 hour later in Florida.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

jumpguy wrote: »
    I know I asked this before...but will the shuttle not make the ISS brighter? Considering it has a fairly high mag itself, I'm finding it hard to believe it won't even increase it's mag to -4 in the best of conditions (as opposed to the -3.5). Anyone know for sure or will I have to wait and see?

I have seen many passes of the ISS and the shuttle both together and on their own. I have to say when they are docked there is no noticable difference. I think it is because the ISS is so bright anyway that a docked shuttle has no effect to the naked eye.

I think they give the seperate times in case the docking does not go ahead. That is the time the shuttle would pass if not docked.

Beeker wrote: »
    I think they give the seperate times in case the docking does not go ahead. That is the time the shuttle would pass if not docked.

Ah right, that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Eamonn posted another Vid of The Shuttle and Fuel tanks flyover Ireland on Wednesday night. It was taken from a different angle to all of our vids :D

Heres the link to the thread over on the IFAS forums.

http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/forum?func=view&catid=11&id=79223&limit=15&start=105#79575

Calibos wrote: »
    Eamonn posted another Vid of The Shuttle and Fuel tanks flyover Ireland on Wednesday night. It was taken from a different angle to all of our vids :D

Heres the link to the thread over on the IFAS forums.

http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/forum?func=view&catid=11&id=79223&limit=15&start=105#79575
    Isn't that just the exact same vid we all saw on NASA TV? :confused:

Nice in HD though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just noticed the shuttle is now up to 340km and the ISS on 346km altitude,Moved up alot since this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

jumpguy wrote: »
    Isn't that just the exact same vid we all saw on NASA TV? :confused:

Nice in HD though...

Were they showing that on Nasa TV on Wednesday night? My Bad :o I was busy trying to catch up to the last page of the big thread which was hard when for every page one read another 4 or 5 had appeared in that time. I had NASATV minimised and was just listening to the audio while reading the thread. Didn't realise they were showing that footage.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Just noticed the shuttle is now up to 340km and the ISS on 346km altitude,Moved up alot since this morning

Hiya Ricky91t

you ready for tonight lol

Beer Barrel at the ready i hope haha :D

Regards
    Stargate

Stargate wrote: »
    Hiya Ricky91t

you ready for tonight lol

Beer Barrel at the ready i hope haha :D

Regards
    Stargate

Of course i am lol,Just watching it on Nasa tv!

How's cork looking?

Wondering why they move over to sequential images instead of live video?

Is it incase there's a problem the public won't see it?

Of course i am lol,Just watching it on Nasa tv!

How's cork looking?

Beautiful here ALL day Ricky , now its getting dark the cloud is thick enough , patches here and there ,

i use this weathercam in limerick to see what its like to the west

http://www.quinweather.com/wxwebcam.php

This one might be nearer you Ricky

http://www.aquaventures.ie/baltimoreweatherlive.html

What part Kerry you in Ricky?

Stargate

Between Listowel and abbeyfeale,a place Called Duagh :)

Totally overcast here though :(

Cheers for the cam links :)

Between Listowel and abbeyfeale,a place Called Duagh :)

Totally overcast here though :(

Cheers for the cam links :)

Whats the exact times for tonights passes?
    do you know?
    im not long in ..phew

Cheers
    Stargate

Keep it in kerry,still sunny here a few clouds in the sky

do you know?
    im not long in ..phew

Cheers
    Stargate

Sorry I don't know,I cannot understand the heaven-above site,I just track it on here http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/

• Advertisement

do you know?
    im not long in ..phew

Cheers
    Stargate

10-53pm

Advertisement