Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times/directions for Friday night's passes of the ISS and Space Shuttle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Visibility is poor here atm, although it appears to be clearing up and sat images suggest there should be some visibility soon.

The shuttle has successfully connected to the ISS, so we're just watching the one folks. However, when you look at the ISS, there's now a record 13 astronauts on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The ISS and docked shuttle is/has passed over Ireland

Hah!I'll be super lucky tonight if i see it,check out the mass of cloud coming in at 22:15
    http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

It looks like it'll be clear for people in the East and Midlands tonight. It was clear here all day, but now it's starting to cloud up, and when I look at BBC Weather it shows a big dirty cloud right over Lough Derg; it's a cloud that won't clear before midnight either.

No, it hasn't made a visible pass yet anyway. The ISS and docked shuttle with pass at 10:53PM heading West to ESE

jumpguy wrote: »
    No, it hasn't made a visible pass yet anyway. The ISS and docked shuttle with pass at 10:53PM heading West to ESE

Aye,Didn't say it was visible either or I would of told everyone to get outside,Was just mentioning it for the record

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Guys why is the radio saying 10.32, also there sayin you wil see the ISS and the shuttle following. How hard to do research?:)

Ohhh I'm sorry, I thought you meant it had made the final pass of the night. :)

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Guys why is the radio saying 10.32, also there sayin you wil see the ISS and the shuttle following. How hard to do research?:)

The ISS and Shuttle are docked since just after 8:30 PM our time, so they will both pass as one "point". I'm not sure about the radio's prediction, but I'm pretty sure the above predictions are the correct ones. If you'd like to research yourself, use Heavens-Above.com and this NASA tracking site.

The ISS and Shuttle are docked since just after 8:30 PM our time, so they will both pass as one "point". I'm not sure about the radio's prediction, but I'm pretty sure the above predictions are the correct ones. If you'd like to research yourself, use Heavens-Above.com and this NASA tracking site.

The above predictions are 100% right,The ISS passed over here at ~9:17 adding 97 mins to that(ISS Orbit time) gives us ~10:54 so and as I wasn't keeping an eye on the time i'm sure it already passed when I checked.

I'll be outside at 10-53 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Nice blue skys and sunset here in Clonee tonight... looking forward to a nice pass... Might even try and take a picture with my 50 Euro digital camera. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭decies

Am on eircom broadband nasa site working for me,but heavens above now wont load for me,could ye check if it loads for ye thanks.

decies wrote: »
    Am on eircom broadband nasa site working for me,but heavens above now wont load for me,could ye check if it loads for ye thanks.

Nope, the site must be too busy.

The above posted times are correct, though. Look west at 22:53.

Eircom's DNS servers have been very unreliable the past few weeks, due to as Eircom say "an overload of traffic" but there are many a suspicion it's an attack. Looks like it's happening again tonight. Head over to this thread in the tech forum and find out how to switch to OpenDNS. Any questions just PM me.

EDIT: Never mind that! Looks like heavens-above isn't working for me either. Strange as I've never seen it go down before.

I'm on permanet(Goes through a uk level3 connection so nothing to do with eircom) and heavens-above is down for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

cloudy here in limerick border of tipp:( hope it clears a bit.. I only saw a tiny bit last night as the cloud cover was awful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

That sounded like i was being smart. I meant how hard for radio to do research! Sorry if it sounded different. Thanks for all help past few days. I have them all ready for it tonight at home:):)

Dusty87 wrote: »
    That sounded like i was being smart. I meant how hard for radio to do research! Sorry if it sounded different. Thanks for all help past few days. I have them all ready for it tonight at home:):)

Didn't sound like you were being smart at all.:)

You can never trust radio stations (or any media for that matter)!

Heavens-above is working took about 10 mins to load the home page though

Also,Cloud cover here in Kerry is bad,Slight patches but not the best :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭CR 7

anyone know what the direction/path is relative to wednesday night's path. Don't have any compass to check, and tis a bit cloudy so i don't wanna miss it. Just an approximate rel. angle, etc. would be perfect.

anyone know what the direction/path is relative to wednesday night's path. Don't have any compass to check, and tis a bit cloudy so i don't wanna miss it. Just an approximate rel. angle, etc. would be perfect.
    It's of a similiar pass as Wednesday. Heading West to ESE. West is where the sun sets, and for ESE just look East, where the sun rises, and turn your head south (right of east) a few degrees. Mentally draw a line from that point to West (or vice versa).
    That's how I do it anyway! :) Simplest is keep scanning Westerly and then you can just track it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭CR 7

jumpguy wrote: »
    It's of a similiar pass as Wednesday. Heading West to ESE. West is where the sun sets, and for ESE just look East, where the sun rises, and turn your head south (right of east) a few degrees. Mentally draw a line from that point to West (or vice versa).
    That's how I do it anyway! :) Simplest is keep scanning Westerly and then you can just track it.

Excellent. Thanks.

Its looking cloudy here in waterford,looks like i will be out for a few nights waiting for clear sky :(

Watching the ISS and SS coming in on NASA world wind(a great program free too)

A large cloudless patch has come in west where I am, directly in the path of where the ISS will pass. I'm hoping it'll last, or better yet, all the clouds just feck off. We've had enough of 'em in Winter.

EDIT: Is the ISS currently getting a reboost? Stellarium says it's altitude (off the ground) is rising. :confused:

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Watching the ISS and SS coming in on NASA world wind(a great program free too)

Link????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

100% clear skies over me in Bray. Woohoo!! :D

I have a feeling one of the worlds premier International Space Station watchers/photographers Ralf Vandebourg will be imaging tonight with the Shuttle docked at the station. He hand tracks a 12" dob and uses a 60FPS Imagesource planetary cam. Its unbelievable the detail he gets. I'll post a link to his pics later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Its looking cloudy here in waterford,looks like i will be out for a few nights waiting for clear sky :(

Seem to have fairly clear skys in Meath. Hopefully will get a good view. Still fairly bright to the South/West though

Link????

It's a download tracks it on a google earth type program http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

ISS plugin http://worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Add-on:Satellite_Tracker

Sitting outside with laptop camera and beer barrel,Didn't think i'd be doing this during my summer :)

Looks like it might be after 10:53 according to me

Nasa world wind:

3730745110_293429a7e5_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Wasn't it supposed to be at 22:39?

I had a look, but nothing, too cloudy again.

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    Wasn't it supposed to be at 22:39?

I had a look, but nothing, too cloudy again.

22:53.

Advertisement