Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franks RedHot Sauce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Add more butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I got the original sauce and thought it was way to hot.
    Tasted similar to the hottest wing's in the porterhouse. Eyes watering from eating it.
    I usually get the lakeshore hickory bbq, its nice thick and spicy enough.
    But wondering if the other frank's sauce is less spicy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

If you want it less spicy add more butter and if you want it more spicy buy the extra hot Franks if available or just add Cayenne pepper like I do. Very simple.

As for the wings itself I just get them from Tesco (non flowered) and they are very inexpensive too. Just checked and its exactly Euro1.08/pound which is not bad at all considering I always eat 2.5lbs myself everytime I make them

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Mask wrote: »
    Tasted similar to the hottest wing's in the porterhouse. Eyes watering from eating it.

That's odd, We find the hottest wings in Porterhouse much spicier than a regular bottle of franks...maybe we got a hot batch.

But in The Porterhouse, they're adding something, makes the wings sweet, not nice..!

A ratio of 2:1 Franks to butter I find is perfect for health/taste and gives the orangey colour this sauce is known for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Mask wrote: »

Yeah you need to get the "Buffalo Wings" hotsauce, the original stuff should'nt be used on wings it's wayy to hot for that imho.

Supervalue on the quays in Dublin have it in stock. Got 3 bottles today. :pac:
    Franks Buffalo Wings Supervalue

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Tesco in Wilton, Cork have the buffalo wing sauce in stock, €3.59 for anyone in this neck of the woods.

CombatCow wrote: »
    Yeah you need to get the "Buffalo Wings" hotsauce, the original stuff should'nt be used on wings it's wayy to hot for that imho.

Supervalue on the quays in Dublin have it in stock. Got 3 bottles today. :pac:
    Franks Buffalo Wings Supervalue

CC

Nope. He just needs to add butter to the original sauce to make it a bit milder and tastier. All that wings sauce is original plus clarified butter. Mixing original and good quality butter works much better than the premixed stuff

Totally agree. If you want the original recipes use the original sauce and add butter.
    Its always interesting to see how ppl handle the spiciness of of those sauces. For me its too mild and I have to use extra Cayenne pepper to spice it up while other ppl can barely take the sauce without adding tons of butter.

Btw. in terms of Pepper sauces Franks original is considered mild.

Anyways from reading some reviews about the Franks Buffallo Wings sauce most ppl prefer the original sauce + butter but its up to everyones taste.

If you wanna stay true to the original recipes however you should def. use the original sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

CombatCow wrote: »
    BLASPHEMER!!! :mad::mad::mad:

just kidding. :p

seriously though, steer clear of the buffalo sauce and stick with the original and use real butter.

there's something in the buffalo sauce that is unnatural. not sure what it is, some sort of preservative, but neither myself nor the missus can stomach the buffalo one now that we're used to the real deal.

there are only 2 reasons you should EVER use the buffalo sauce.

1. every bottle of original sauce on the planet is gone and it's either buffalo or nothing.

2. you suffer from a rare genetic disorder* that renders you incapable of melting butter in a pan and adding sauce to it.

* if such a thing exists, you should probably not be allowed near a hot pan anyway.

as several people have said, cook wings however you prefer, melt butter, add (original) sauce to desired strength to butter, simmer for a few minutes if you want to tone down the vinegar, add wings to sauce, toss, serve, eat and repeat until unconscious.

i've said it before and i'll say it again. if you like your wings moist AND crispy, toss them in some CORNflour (regular flour is too stodgy), rest in the fridge if you like, but not 100% necessary with cornflour and then deep fry them in a good light oil like flora or crisp n dry at 190 degrees C, or as hot as your fryer goes until golden brown and then toss them in sauce.

trust me, I've done them a minimum of 50 times now over the last couple of years and tried every which way to do it and this is hands down the best.

for the ultimate treat, use de boned chicken thighs trimmed and cut into wing sized strips (skin on) and get all of the flavour (and more) and none of the fiddly bits, plus more meat for your money and it doesn't take much more prep time than cutting wings once you've done it a couple of times and you may even be able to get your butcher to do the work for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Still none in Tesco Galway :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Bought 5 bottles today in Supervalu Togher (Cork). Checkout lady was judging me with her eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I was in Dunnes Stores this morning and they have 33% off Franks hot sauce, got 6 bottles at €1.99 each. Happy days... Its finally a bargain alert again.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ShamrockStamps

I'm gonna try the Corn flour way, I always used regular flour, but for an extra kick we add Chilli powder to the flour

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

Cocoon wrote: »
    I was in Dunnes Stores this morning and they have 33% off Franks hot sauce, got 6 bottles at €1.99 each. Happy days... Its finally a bargain alert again.... :D

Which Dunnes? Was there much left??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

the_pod wrote: »
    Which Dunnes? Was there much left??? :eek:

I got them in the Pavillions in Swords, but its probably all branches that stock Franks are doing 33% off..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm gonna try the Corn flour way, I always used regular flour, but for an extra kick we add Chilli powder to the flour
    you won't regret it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Jesus lads, is there still a panic about this 'not being imported to the country anymore'? Just because some idiot said he knows someone who heard it it's unreal the frenzy it's caused. I haven't seen it running out in any of the places I used to buy it. Dunnes in Cornelscourt has boxes of the stuff. This thread had been great for marketing it and causing panic and confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

But if it wasn't for this thread, I would never have met Frank.

Actually for me there are def. alot less places you can buy it now. I did some research and there seems to be no Franks anywhere in County Sligo. So I have to get them from limerick.

If you live somewhere around Dublin you have no problem to get them at all. So just because they sell them still at the place you used to get them doesnt mean other people have/had problems finding it.

Mmmm just made up a batch for lunch. Thank god for franks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Ok! I am dying for some of these wings, but I can't find the sauce.:mad:
    I have tried the tescos in Santry, spar and centra on the ballymun road. Going into the city centre later, can anybody tell me where exactly to get some?? Please want some wings so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Elephant & Castle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Raoul wrote: »
    Ok! I am dying for some of these wings, but I can't find the sauce.:mad:
    I have tried the tescos in Santry, spar and centra on the ballymun road. Going into the city centre later, can anybody tell me where exactly to get some?? Please want some wings so badly.

Supervalue on the quays have both types of Franks instock.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

trying to get my hands on some of this sauce here in Holland. Bought a deep fat frier today, found i can order the sauce for 3.75 but delivery is 6.50, maybe if i buy two or three the delivery will stay the same. You can't even buy nice wings in any restaurant here, it's ridiculous. The closest is Hard Rock cafe, and they're gak. I'd give my right ball for a trip to Elephant and Castle or Tribeca tonight, i really would :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I'd give my right ball for a trip to Elephant and Castle or Tribeca tonight, i really would :o

I'd give my right ball for a trip to Amsterdam tonight, i really would :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

gaz wac wrote: »
    I'd give my right ball for a trip to Amsterdam tonight, i really would :o
    maybe we could set up some kind of sauce for weed/prostitutes/windmills exchange? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Have wings in the oven at the moment! After reading all the posts, I bought a bottle of Franks and a pack of wings yesterday in Dunnes. They'd better be good!!

Think I must have done something wrong, because they are not very nice:(:(. Must have added too much butter or something, not what I was expecting at all

Best doing them in the fryer and make sure to coat them in cornflour and leave them in fridge for at least 30 mins before frying. Use half a cup of franks to half a cup of butter then when the wings are cooked simply toss them in the sauce before serving. This recipe is world famous and used in resteraunts all over the world but maybe you just dont like the sauce. Not everyone can like it. I love them though, made a second batch for dinner the other day. Buffalo wings twice in one day cant be good. haha :)

• Advertisement

I love all things of the chili variety so was suprised I didn't like these. There was just some sort of odd taste I didn't like, gonna try them again though, think I may have put too much butter in the sauce and the wings themselves weren't the best.

Advertisement