Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franks RedHot Sauce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Canacourse wrote: »
    The number of threads on this sauce forced me to buy it when I happened across it in Superquinn last week. But I must say I did not like it at all and I normally love chile sauce. Methinks some employees of the Irish Distributor are talking it up on this forum to boost sales of these mediocre sauce...

what kind of flavour is this sauce exactly? is it a buffalo sauce like the one you get in tgi fridays for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

The number of threads on this sauce forced me to buy it when I happened across it in Superquinn last week. But I must say I did not like it at all and I normally love chile sauce. Methinks some employees of the Irish Distributor are talking it up on this forum to boost sales of these mediocre sauce...

Sorry to hear you did not like it, all i can tell you is i only heard of it on here and all the family love the wings with franks red hot sauce. Going to try the buffalo sauce now. Whats the best way to do these. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Ah, but did you buy the Frank's Original Sauce or the premade Buffalo Sauce? The latter isn't fit to lick the boots of the former.

Having followed the progression of this sauces availability in Ireland for the last 3 or so years, it's my opinion that all the posters on this thread and the Elephant and Castle one over on the Food and Drink forum are genuine.

This is a product that has picked up popularity by word of mouth and nothing else - These threads are part of that.

A real shame you didn't enjoy it - Did you actually use it to make wings or did you use it for something else? But if for example, you don't like E&C style wings in the first place (and I know folks who don't), then you're unlikely to experience the joy that Frank's has brought into many people's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I just discovered Franks sauce is good on popcorn especially the wing sauce that already has a butter flavour in it. Also tried it in a bloody Mary and it was good if a little salty.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

what kind of flavour is this sauce exactly? is it a buffalo sauce like the one you get in tgi fridays for example?

Yes, along those lines...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

kmick wrote: »
    I just discovered Franks sauce is good on popcorn especially the wing sauce that already has a butter flavour in it. Also tried it in a bloody Mary and it was good if a little salty.

Interesting, I must try it with popcorn! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Cant confirm that, but popcorn with vinegar is the nicest thing in the world !!! heard about it, bout 10 years ago....have never looked back !! :)

Giving up on Franks for a while, its getting to a stage where everything I eat is dripping with Franks... toast in morning, salad at lunch, biscuits in evening..cant even taste my dinner any more cos im so used to Franks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I wasn't too gone on it either but am willing to give the wings another try at some stage. I only made one batch of wings with the bottle I got and they weren't great. The rest of the sauce was used on burgers and in cooking.

Gaz wac, went through a phase of having to have chlli in everything in my younger days, even using pickled chilis in sandwiches! Still am a chili-holic but resist the urge to put in everything these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

I think the sauce is like great beer. Even when most people agree a particular beer is great there are always people who don't like it and it comes just down to individual taste.

As to the idea about importers promoting the sauce I so wished that would be true. As far as I know its still nowhere available in Sligo county and I still have to go to Leitrim just to get it and my usual supermkt. there didnt have it last time either. I only hope they don't get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

rh555 wrote: »
    I think the sauce is like great beer. Even when most people agree a particular beer is great there are always people who don't like it and it comes just down to individual taste.

As to the idea about importers promoting the sauce I so wished that would be true. As far as I know its still nowhere available in Sligo county and I still have to go to Leitrim just to get it and my usual supermkt. there didnt have it last time either. I only hope they don't get rid of it.

seems to be loads available in most dunnes. i too never heard about it before this thread and so picked up a bottle of the original sauce at the weekend. was really looking foward to it but cant say i was overly impressed eiher to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fender69

Guys,
    Franks has been listed by all but the smallest Dunnes Stores.
    It has also been taken on by Superquinn.
    Musgraves (Supervalue & Centra group) buy it into stores at local level (its not a head office agreed line, but if enough of us ask the question.!!!)
    Tesco dont carry it anymore since they moved a lot of their purchasing back to the UK :-(
    Spar and Londis also buy on a store by store basis.
    Finally Musgrave Cash and Carry outlets stock the 3.7L versions!
    Hope this helps other fans like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

all i can say is .... oh my god. FINALLY got my hands on a bottle (after travelling up to dublin for it as none in the local dunnes or shops)..... it was worth the wait they were exactly what i had hoped, iv been lookin for a sauce like this for so long!

i bought 4 bottles of the original and 1 of the buffalo. buffalo is good but original is AMAZING! made a chicken wrap today with it... yum lol

can anyone tell me if musgraves cash and carry let public people in to purchase or is it only businesses with accounts there??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Picked up a bottle of Frank's original sauce from Dunnes Bishopstown Court,looking forward to trying it with some wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pininfarina

Picked up a bottle of Frank's original sauce from Dunnes Bishopstown Court,looking forward to trying it with some wings.

Thanks for the heads up!

Wahey!

photoxu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

Gaz, you superstar. Was down to one last serving. So sweet when you make an unlikely connection, particularly such a tasty one. Go Gaz you ledge!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cailin Amhain

Hurrah! I love this stuff but haven't seen it in the local tesco for ages. To Superquinn! Thanks Gaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Might be stupid question but is it possible for anyone to send me 2x 354ml bottles of the Franks original?

Unfortunately there are still none available anywhere in Sligo county and believe me I checked and not having a car makes it tough to go to another county to get it.

A friend of mine used to get it from the next closest place in Carrik-on-Shannon but they dont have it anymore either.

If anyone is willing to get me 2 bottles for 4euro i can either pay by paypal or just do a bank transfer. I think its another 3euro to ship with AnPost if its in a large Envelope less than 1Kg (I assume 2bottles are less than 1KG) + 1Euro or so for the Envelope itself (the one with bubblewrap inside)

If anyone is willing please PM me. Thanks. Living in the Franks free zone of Sligo btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Theres a Sligo forum, you could ask people there if they know a place
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=950

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

You can get it in the centra shop in enniscrone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Lainabaina

rh555 wrote: »
    Might be stupid question but is it possible for anyone to send me 2x 354ml bottles of the Franks original?

PM me if you're stuck and the Enniscrone tip doesn't come off - planning a shop at the weekend so I could send them on. Desperate times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Finally found some in my local SuperValu over the weekend, this stuff is really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Check out www.americansweets.co.uk you can buy 1 gallon (3.7 litres)bottles of Franks for £24.99 with shippings costs of £12.99 for anything up to the weight of 30 kg to Ireland.

I've ordered 2.

1 gallon is the same as 25 small bottles

Just received 2 Gallons this morning.

Happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

^^^^

Holy sheet that's a lot of wings... your arteries are going to love you!

D1976 wrote: »
    Check out www.americansweets.co.uk you can buy 1 gallon (3.7 litres)bottles of Franks for £24.99 with shippings costs of £12.99 for anything up to the weight of 30 kg to Ireland.

I've ordered 2.

1 gallon is the same as 25 small bottles

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if my math is right, you spent €72.60 on 7.4L of Franks. That's about €3.50 per 12oz (355ml) bottle, making it dearer than the normal Irish stores. (Note that the gallon jugs go for about €20 in the various Irish wholesalers).

Handy though I suppose if you're in a bit of the country where you can't easily find it and want to stock the cupboard.

Never seen a 12oz bottle here unless you're talking about that gank Buffalo sauce with the substitute butter inside made for people who cant melt butter in a pot and add Franks and stir.

I've only seen the 5oz bottle here at €2 - €2.50 a bottle

So once again folks

1 5oz bottle = 148ml for €2

1 gallon = 3700ml

3700/148 = 25

you know how the rest goes, not all people have access to a Musgraves card.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I currently have 3 12oz bottles of Franks Original - one open at home, one the GFs place and an emergency backup :p
    Never heard of it before this thread and still haven't made the wings but it's great on nearly everything else :D
    Thanks to all who contributed to this thread

• Advertisement

D1976 wrote: »
    Never seen a 12oz bottle here unless you're talking about that gank Buffalo sauce with the substitute butter inside made for people who cant melt butter in a pot and add Franks and stir.

I've only seen the 5oz bottle here at €2 - €2.50 a bottle

So once again folks

1 5oz bottle = 148ml for €2

1 gallon = 3700ml

3700/148 = 25

you know how the rest goes, not all people have access to a Musgraves card.

Didn't want to be confrontational, so if I did, mucho apologies! Anyway, the 12oz bottles of both Franks Original and Buffalo are the ones you'll find in Dunnes anyway. Last time I checked the Original 12oz was going for 2.99. The 5oz bottles in Spars, Supervalu etc are pretty expensive by comparison.

I'm not a Musgraves card owner either, I've just sourced the gallon jug in the past through my local butcher who was happy to order me in one. And Cox's Cash n Carry in Newbridge were also happy to sell me one cash up front, no card required.

Like I said though, I didn't mean to ruin your buzz, the 'getting Franks in Ireland saga' is just something I've been following for a long time. And I hope you're not planning on using all that sauce at once :eek::D

Advertisement