Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franks RedHot Sauce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Seems Dunnes are stocking it now. Picked up a couple of bottles in Tallaght yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

The new-ish Costcutter at the begining of North Strand Road as you're heading out of town stocks Franks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Korsam

Happy flucking days -

It was my birthday on the 4th - my beautiful wife went shopping in dunnes charlestown ,and haleleujah - Franks on the shelf :D

So she took the last three bottles that -Danielle_door- left behind :)

If you're making a blue cheese dip try this

Yoplait Creme Fraice
    Tesco finest gorgonzola (you could try danish blue but it tends to stiffen then separate)

Mash/mix/whizz the preferred amount of cheese to the cream

if its too stiff a teaspoon or two of milk just before serving will work

nando's :eek: good for chilli ,not wings

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

In Cornelscourt too...loads o the stuff.

:pac::pac::pac:

Seems Tesco missed a trick here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Did anyone check in the Dunnes in Galway ? I'll have a peak on my way home from work anyway just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Originally Posted by vibe666
    I'll give you a much better recipe for proper portuguese piri piri chicken (when i can find out where i put it) that blows everything away.

Go dig it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

vibe666 wrote: »
    were you using Brianna's blue cheese dressing/dip from tesco's? used to get that and loved it, but not everyone here liked it.

we've actually started randomly making our own, there's a heap of recipes online, just do some googling and experiment. we didn';t find a perfect recipe yet, but we're geting there. gorgonzola seems to be the right blue cheese for the dip, we're just having trouble getting it runny enough for it to work properly without ruining the flavour too much. :o

personally, i separate the wings at each joint and throw out the tips, coat the wings in cornflour (makes them extra crispy) and deep fry them until they're cooked through and crispy on the outside. find a fat one and cut into it down to the bone if you're not sure and make sure there's nothing pink or red inside and they're done. i always tend to slightly overdo them so they're not too moist, sometimes it can be a little off putting if they're too juicy (yes, i know it sounds weird). :)

then i heat up some butter in a wok or frying pan (a wok makes it easier to toss the wings in) with some franks and let it cook through to burn off some of the excess vinegar in the franks sauce and then toss in the wings until they are well coated all over and serve.

bon apetit! :)

I picked up a bottle in Musgraves and tried the wings in the oven and the fryer. The fryer wins hands down but I feel bad enough eating these wings with all that buttery sauce with the added sin of deepfrying. If you use cornflour on the wings before cooking in the fryer, has anyone put these floury wing in the oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

songbirds wrote: »
    I picked up a bottle in Musgraves and tried the wings in the oven and the fryer. The fryer wins hands down but I feel bad enough eating these wings with all that buttery sauce with the added sin of deepfrying. If you use cornflour on the wings before cooking in the fryer, has anyone put these floury wing in the oven?

Ya, they're quite nice from the oven, but the frier has them though.

Right I'm heading to the big smoke tonight ..where can I get some Franks in Dublin city ? it's been nearly 4 weeks since I ran out and the DT's are killing me lol.

• Advertisement

Dunnes seem to be stocking it everywhere

Not in Galway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

What's the big deal with this sause?
    134 posts must mean that this sause is the best sause in the world ever.

Can someone tell me if I can get this in Cork(Douglas) area?

Not in Galway :(
    Everywhere that matters! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

Ya, they're quite nice from the oven, but the frier has them though.

yeah, the problem with the oven is they have to lie on a baking tray, and that past stays soggy. Or else, maybe you can turn them every 10 minutes, but if you're cooking loads then that's a pain.
    But I don't have a frier, so I'm lumbered. :(

Get a wire rack to go in ur baking tray that way the grease drips onto the tray and ur wings stay crispy :D

I'll definately try that next time. I have one but often stuff sticks to it and the skin rips off after cooking. Hopefully Frank's will defy the sticky grill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

I always do them in the oven.

Prepare as stated previously, i.e. Cut, Dip in seasoned floor and put in the fridge for 40mins to an hour. (Tip. Add some paprika to the flour that way they have a nice colour when they come out of the oven) use a wire rack don’t overcrowd, leave some space between them for the air to circulate and put them skin side up on the rack. Put the oven up to full blast and cook them for 45mins to 1hour. Mix sauce with butter ( i usually do about 8 to 1 mix) and pour over wings.

If you are worried about them sticking get some kitchen paper and rub some oil along the bars of the rack or after 30mins take them out of the oven and move them slightly around on the rack then put back in to finish cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

dmck wrote: »
    I always do them in the oven.

Prepare as stated previously, i.e. Cut, Dip in seasoned floor and put in the fridge for 40mins to an hour. (Tip. Add some paprika to the flour that way they have a nice colour when they come out of the oven) use a wire rack don’t overcrowd, leave some space between them for the air to circulate and put them skin side up on the rack. Put the oven up to full blast and cook them for 45mins to 1hour. Mix sauce with butter ( i usually do about 8 to 1 mix) and pour over wings.

If you are worried about them sticking get some kitchen paper and rub some oil along the bars of the rack or after 30mins take them out of the oven and move them slightly around on the rack then put back in to finish cooking.

Thanks for that. Will try this at weekend and let you know results. Also decided to buy small drumsticks, which will be a bit meatier, obviously they will need more cooking time. Can't wait.

Good tips dmck.

On another note, last time I cooked them, I floured the wings and marinated tehm before cooking, but everyone here seems to be adding the sauce after they are cooked. Any reason for that? Is the flavour better that way?

• Advertisement

songbirds wrote: »
    Also decided to buy small drumsticks, which will be a bit meatier, obviously they will need more cooking time. Can't wait.
    Aren't smalll drumsticks just part of the wing?

dmaxontour wrote: »
    but everyone here seems to be adding the sauce after they are cooked. Any reason for that? Is the flavour better that way?
    If you're deep frying them you wouldn't marinade them first because the marinade would make a mess of the oil. And if you were baking them they wouldn't crisp up, plus the sauce would more than likely burn.

Ok just done my first batch of wings today... nothing to do with the good weather we are having :D, anyway have to say they were beautiful. Spur of the moment thing so just put the deep fat fryer on and cooked the wings for 12 minutes. Put a pan on and melted some butter and added Franks. Mixed it all about and let it simmer for a bit, then tossed in the wings and tossed them around till they were coated. 10 out of 10. Anyone that has gone to LaBucca in Ashbourne or Ratoath and tried their wings .... I think this is what they use :D. I could eat them all night :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

I'll make some tomorrow. I also bake them 35min 1 side and about 20min on the other side. I do not flour them beforehand but thats personal preference I guess. I just wanted them as close as I used to have them in the U.S. and they usually don't use flour.

The Franks sauce is normally added at the end but again thats up to each liking. If you want to get the sauce more spicy add Cayenne pepper and if you want it milder at more butter to Franks.

Once the wings are baked/fried coat in Franks and thats it. Very simple but sooo delicious. Also for typical Wings add celery and Blue cheese dip but ofcourse you can substitute with other things.

Franks sauce is the most important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

Dunnes in City Square waterford have the original sauce and the buffalo hot wings sauce. mmmm good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Oooohhh lads after reading this thread I had to go and find me some of this sauce.

Got some in Donnybrook Fair during the week and im just about to put some wings in the oven now. Im so excited!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Franks is back on sale in Tesco, I got the 354ml bottle in Clarehall today for €2.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Found some bottles of Franks in the Centra (At least I think its a centra) located in Ballycummin village, Limerick. They had the hot and buffalo varieties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

where does everyone get their chicken wings? i have looked in the supermarkets but they dont look good and they are all already flavoured

All the big supermarkets do packs of unflavoured wings. I've never had any problems getting them. Really cheap too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

They dont taste like the elephant & Castles what am i doing wrong

Advertisement