Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franks RedHot Sauce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

A tip for easy chopping, frozen wings are much, much easier to chop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thedeal

Superquinn Swords have a load out on shelve got myself 5 bottles, should get me through weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i just cooked some pork chops on the BBQ with a couple of layers of franks slapped on them for good measure and they were very tasty. :)
    Glenbhoy wrote: »
    A tip for easy chopping, frozen wings are much, much easier to chop!!
    someone needs a better freezer. :D

seriously tho, with a decent sharp knife carving knife and the right angle cutting at the joint from the inside, its not any harder to cut through a wing joint than it would be to cut through a carrot or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jessica Fletcher

Frank's Hot Sauce and Wings version were €2 in Dunnes this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Do you need to mix the butter and franks sauce in a pot, then simmer and add the chicken wings to the pot and simmer for another bit or just put the wings on a plate and cover with the sauce? Is deep frying or oven baking the best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Warper wrote: »
    Do you need to mix the butter and franks sauce in a pot, then simmer and add the chicken wings to the pot and simmer for another bit or just put the wings on a plate and cover with the sauce? Is deep frying or oven baking the best?
    Cook the wings, put in a bowl and toss in the sauce is the way I usually do it and it works out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Got the refund cheque and a stamp back from them this week from the 'try me free' offer, about two months after applying for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

This recipe was posted earlier in the thread, it's spot on imo.....

http://jamm222.blogspot.com/2010/03/hot-crispy-chicken-wings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Thanks

Went looking for the Franks sauce there in Tesco and Supervalu and they didnt have it. Anyone know for definite where in Dublin city centre i can but this infamous sauce?

for me, i coat the wings (usually actually strips of boneless thigh these days) in 1/4 cornflour, 3/4 plain flour & a teaspoon of smoked paprika and refrigerate for an hour, then deep fry till golden brown.

about 5 minutes before they're done, i melt butter & franks in a wok and cook out until it starts to separate and then toss in the wings (coating them properly is much easier in the wok) and then serve with garlic or blue cheese dip which is very simply made with some slightly watered down mayo & either blue cheese or roasted garlic etc. mixed in.

my wife LOVES buffalo wings but actually hasn't had wings if we're out for about 2 years as she says they are always a disappointment compared to the ones we have at home. :)

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    for me, i coat the wings (usually actually strips of boneless thigh these days) in 1/4 cornflour, 3/4 plain flour & a teaspoon of smoked paprika and refrigerate for an hour, then deep fry till golden brown.
    I'll have to try that. I usually just bake em up and toss them.

proper crispy on the outside and you get plenty of sauce sticking to the coating, but still nice and juicy inside.

the other thing is that thigh meat is pretty much the same as wing meat, so i just remove the bones, leave the skin on and cut each thigh into 3 strips, so it's still more or less the same size as a wing and the same meat, but all meat and no bone. :)

it was originally devised as a way to stop my 8 year old niece from eating the outside off her wings and leaving about 70% of the meat and moving onto the next one, but it was so popular i always do it now if i can get the thighs.

i also think you get significantly more meat in a pack and they're usually the same price as wings so it's better value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks

Went looking for the Franks sauce there in Tesco and Supervalu and they didnt have it. Anyone know for definite where in Dublin city centre i can but this infamous sauce?

Not sure about Dublin City centre specifically, but you can get Franks in any Superquinn or Dunnes.

proper crispy on the outside and you get plenty of sauce sticking to the coating, but still nice and juicy inside.

the other thing is that thigh meat is pretty much the same as wing meat, so i just remove the bones, leave the skin on and cut each thigh into 3 strips, so it's still more or less the same size as a wing and the same meat, but all meat and no bone. :)

it was originally devised as a way to stop my 8 year old niece from eating the outside off her wings and leaving about 70% of the meat and moving onto the next one, but it was so popular i always do it now if i can get the thighs.

i also think you get significantly more meat in a pack and they're usually the same price as wings so it's better value too.
    I'll be trying that next week. :) Cheers for the tip.

Nevore wrote: »
    I'll be trying that next week. :) Cheers for the tip.
    np.

the way i tackle the thigh bone is to score down either side of it with a knife and then use the holes to get my finger under the middle of the bone and you'll find one end comes out fairly easily, altho it might need a minor cut to get it totally free.

you'll find the other end of the bone is still stuck in the joint, so if you pivot it upwards it will start to work loose and you can use the end of the knife to pry it out, then just cut out the knobbly joint stuck to the meat and trip the extra skin etc. off the edges.

then just cut into 3 strips and you have bone free chunks of meat (still with skin to crisp up) about the size of the flat part of a wing and ready to be floured & fried. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,004 ✭✭✭✭unkel

my wife LOVES buffalo wings but actually hasn't had wings if we're out for about 2 years as she says they are always a disappointment compared to the ones we have at home. :)

That's the ultimate compliment for the home chef :)

If your food is better than what can be had in a restaurant, you are doing real well!

I'm getting there with pizzas, the stone (from Aldi, €9.99) is helping a lot in bringing in crispyness

unkel wrote: »

If your food is better than what can be had in a restaurant, you are doing real well!

I'm getting there with pizzas, the stone (from Aldi, €9.99) is helping a lot in bringing in crispyness
    i know, it's great. :D

we've actually pretty much stopped getting takeaway food altogether now and we've totally stopped buying any kind of sauce in a jar.

made lasagne last night and the only thing that wasn't made fresh was the pasta sheets and it was amazingly good.

i got the Aldi pizza stone too when it was last in and i got a bit of inspiration about the cooking temps, as the problem with making that kind of thing is that it's designed to be cooked at a much higher temp than your average oven will go up to, so i ended up putting the pizza stone on the top shelf of the bbq at full temp (315 degrees on the thermometer) and it worked a treat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

unkel wrote: »

Is the stone in Aldi this week??

Guill wrote: »
    Is the stone in Aldi this week??
    doesn't look like it going by the website. http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys.htm?WT.z_src=main

i got mine a couple of months back. i didn't even see it advertised, i just went in and they had one there so i grabbed it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

^^^^

I have been looking to get one of these for months now!

Did a Pizza cooking course in Italy a few weeks ago so i am all set except for that god damn stone. (also the clay oven i inteded to build 2 years ago should be started...)

• Advertisement

Guill wrote: »
    I have been looking to get one of these for months now!
    i happened to see one in the kitchen department of debenhams in blanch the other day.

didn't see the cost tho, but it might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

Chriscl1 wrote: »

I have used this catering size which I bought in Musgraves but it is almost €22 euro - made a lot of friends by sharing sauce as even I can't eat that many wings before the expiry date - although I don't really think such a chilli sauce could "go off" with such a fiery heat!

I did see another product "Louisanna" and wonder has anyone tried this one, it is much cheaper than €22.

Had a wingfest at the weekend with friends - yummeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

songbirds wrote: »
    I have used this catering size which I bought in Musgraves but it is almost €22 euro - made a lot of friends by sharing sauce as even I can't eat that many wings before the expiry date - although I don't really think such a chilli sauce could "go off" with such a fiery heat!

I did see another product "Louisanna" and wonder has anyone tried this one, it is much cheaper than €22.

Had a wingfest at the weekend with friends - yummeeeeee

I got some in Dunnes today. I haven't tried it yet so I'm off to get me some chicken wings nomnomnom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Has anyone seen any other varieties of Franks other than the normal. Im looking for the chilli and lime one or Xtra Hot. Cant seem to find any other variety anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Has anyone ordered from amazon. How well are they packed. Glass bottles dont tend to travel well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

All the time, my back kitchen is like a wholesalers at this stage. I've never had any broken glass issues and I order loads of sauces etc.

Advertisement