Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franks RedHot Sauce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

Reading these posts I bought a bottle in dunnes the other day.
    I am disappointed with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Reading these posts I bought a bottle in dunnes the other day.
    I am disappointed with the results.
    how did you do the wings? assuming you used them to make buffalo wings obviously. :)

ew buffalo wings.
    The sauce isn't spicy.
    It just tastes like sugar and salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ew buffalo wings.
    The sauce isn't spicy.
    It just tastes like sugar and salt.
    not sure what the "ew" means, did you make wings or not? or did you even make the sauce properly -i.e. with butter as per instructions, seems a few in this thread just used it neat/raw on stuff and are unimpressed, which is not surprising -raw chicken wings wouldn't be great either ;)

The sauce is not that spicy which was already mentioned, it is very mild compared to a lot of chilli sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

For the record some of us like it neat. Culinery highlight of xmas was a drizzling of franks on cold turkey ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Speaking of hot sauces: I picked up two bottles of Lingham's for €1 in the Asia Market (Drury St.) this week. The catch? Expiry dates. The standard Chilli sauce I got expires at the end of January, while the Chilli Garlic* expired at the end of last November. Considering what's in the bottles, though, I think there's a decent margin of error on the expiry dates ... :cool:

* there's one more catch: the bottles are labeled in Malay, so while "Sos Chili" is easy enough, I didn't find out what "Dengan Halia" meant till I got home! You can pick up some real bargains in the Asia Market, if you don't treat expiry dates as hard cutoffs and are willing to try things you've never heard of before.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I tried that Linghams Chilli garlic sauce before,i got serious heartburn and found it very repetitive after eating,i only bought it once.

Might be better in stirfries,i only used it as dipper/splasher.

rubadub wrote: »
    not sure what the "ew" means, did you make wings or not? or did you even make the sauce properly -i.e. with butter as per instructions, seems a few in this thread just used it neat/raw on stuff and are unimpressed, which is not surprising -raw chicken wings wouldn't be great either ;)

The sauce is not that spicy which was already mentioned, it is very mild compared to a lot of chilli sauces.

i don't like chicken wings.

i don't like chicken wings.
    what did you put it on then and how did you cook them/it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Its nice on pizza if you dont like wings. I had both for dinner this week with franks :D

• Advertisement

it goes well with egg dishes too, omelettes and scramble and that kind of thing.

i found that out from watching man v food and other US TV shows where you occasionally spot a bottle of franks being used in the wild. :)

also, if you just don't like wings, but do like chicken in general (some people don't like the bones etc.) you can get de-boned chicken thighs cut into strips and coked the same way, which taste just as good (better imho), just with no bones.

your friendly neighbourhood butcher will de-bone them for you if you ask nicely. :)

So you're supposed to heat/cook the sauce?

Doesn't that make it more a marinade?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

YOu can, or you can use it from the bottle. Its all about personal taste. their website have a ton of recipes for it

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

why is this thread still in bargain alerts, the sauce is available everywhere now.
    soundnt this be in some food forum

Doesn't that make it more a marinade?
    no, because you don't put it on until after the wings are cooked.

it's primary use the world over is as the secret ingredient in the original buffalo wings, which is why it's so popular.

the other secret ingredient (and the only other thing in the basic recipe) is melted butter).

the 'official' elephant & castle chicken wings thread is the place to go for the full story. until page 5 tho, nobody even knew what was in it, so there's a few failed imitations on the first few pages.

i've linked to page 5 tho for convenience, where someone first mentions franks. :)

some people like the vinegary flavour and some don't, so that just dictates how you prepare it.

my wife doesn't like the bones and gristle in chicken wings, so i make it with strips of chicken thigh instead for boneless wings that still have the same good juicy dark meat as wings but without the bones.

so you just deep fry or bake your wings/thighs and whilst that's going on you cook out your butter and franks to the consistency you like and then toss the wings/thighs in your sauce and serve. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

I pass this in the shop the whole time and there are two different times, the wings one and the original.

Ive a question for those who may have eaten the wings in the Woolshed bar in Dublin, is this the same sauce they use? if it it im buying it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

cronin_j wrote: »
    I pass this in the shop the whole time and there are two different times, the wings one and the original.

Ive a question for those who may have eaten the wings in the Woolshed bar in Dublin, is this the same sauce they use? if it it im buying it..

It is indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the wings one and the original.
    Get the original and add butter as per instructions on the bottle. The wings one has some fake butter substitute added already -and gets poor reviews compared to the original.

rubadub wrote: »
    Get the original and add butter as per instructions on the bottle. The wings one has some fake butter substitute added already -and gets poor reviews compared to the original.
    ditto. the only reason to get the wings one is if you aren't able to melt butter in a pan yourself and if that's the case, you really shouldn't be making chicken wings. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It is indeed.

Aww I love this stuff then.. think you just made my week and its only 30 mins into Monday!!

• Advertisement

Aww I love this stuff then.. think you just made my week and its only 30 mins into Monday!!
    check my post from the top of the page with a link to a thread in the food & drink forum all about the best way to cook them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭coffee to go

This Irish blogger's recently put up a post for a buffalo chicken pizza, with Franks as the key ingredient:

http://glutenfreephotos.blogspot.com/

Pizza.jpg

Looks like a serious nom attack and a nice alternative to the aul wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

They've finally starting selling this in the Dunnes in Eyre Square in Galway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

They've finally starting selling this in the Dunnes in Eyre Square in Galway :D

They've always had Frank's in Dunnes on the Headford Road! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

They've always had Frank's in Dunnes on the Headford Road! :)

I know but I'm lazy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 popcorn1986

Most amazing sauce in the world lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I put that **** on everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

biko wrote: »
    I put that **** on everything :)

Even rice crispies?? :P

I have to work my diet around Franks. Spread it on toast, have it all over fish fingers for brekkie, but the real flavour comes out when mixed with melted butter and poured over wings.

I regularly open the bottle, from the fridge, and just take a lung-full, gets me giddy. It's magic, plain and simple.

Super Valu in Navan usually have t but are out atm, some order issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

I got 12 bottles last time it was E1.99 in Galway - good to know its now also available at Eyre Square - Used 1 bottle watching the Super Bowl yest - Wings was a must ofcourse. I think I still got 8 bottles left, so this should keep me alive until the next sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

rh5555 wrote: »
    I got 12 bottles last time it was E1.99 in Galway.
    Wow, that's cheap! Where and when was this?

Advertisement