Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franks RedHot Sauce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i keep saying it, but nobody seems to be listening. don't use wings, get chicken thighs instead and take out the bone and cut them into 2-3 strips and use those instead.

same great meat you get on a wing but with no bones.

ask your butcher nicely and he'll do the filleting for you too, so no fuss at all.

I've been buying big 7kg boxes of thighs from my local meat wholesaler who has a small butchers on the side and they take out the bones for me for free and i just split them up into bags and freeze them and use them in whatever chicken recipes I need them for, from fajita's to stir fries and everything in between.

much nicer meat than breast too and dirt cheap and perfect as a boneless alternative to wings, either skin on for that crispiness or tossed in a little flour and cornflour (or both). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

vibe666 wrote: »
    same great meat you get on a wing but with no bones.

I dont know if I didnt have a dinner plate stacked 3 deep with bones I would feel cheated :D;)

Sagat06 wrote: »
    I dont know if I didnt have a dinner plate stacked 3 deep with bones I would feel cheated :D;)
    did i mention that you'll get more meat for less money? ;)

2 of the supermarket wing packs for €2.49-€2.99 will just about fill me and the missus at a push if we're having a wing feast, but we're both stuffed full to bursting and struggle to finish the contents of a single €5 supermarket boneless thigh pack (when you can find them) or 2 'bone in' thigh packs as there's a lot more meat in them.

the only downside to the boneless packs is that there's no skin, but you can't have everything. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

the only downside to the boneless packs is that there's no skin, but you can't have everything. :)

but the crispy skin is the best bit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

If you cook the wings right and know the trick it's easy to de-bone the wings.

NO CRISPY SKIN!!!!!!!!!
    What is the point in that!!!!!!!!
    Beano wrote: »
    but the crispy skin is the best bit!!

Sagat06 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Don't know if it's still considered a rare find, but Dunnes, in the Square Tallaght have the original and Buffalo in stock

If you cook the wings right and know the trick it's easy to de-bone the wings.

NO CRISPY SKIN!!!!!!!!!
    What is the point in that!!!!!!!!
    i've no problem with that, it's just nicer not to have to do it and you get more meat (and bigger chunks of it) with thighs.

if you're happy to de-bone the thighs before you cook them they're far superior to wings and you can leave the skin on for the extra crispy bit, but if you flour the skinless ones you still get heaps of franks sticking to them and they're still pretty good and crispy, just no skin. :(

well, it's official (sort of) "Franks Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce" is the best hot sauce (overall) in the world. :D

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/video-how-to/how-to-cook/supermarket-101-grocery-store-tips/taste-test-the-best-hot-sauces

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭oil painting

Hi Is there anywhere on line that i could get franks hot sauce, i have moved to Conemara and i only have one bottle left Eeeeek! I would love to get a big massive bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BrotMonster

Just bought a bottle of Franks Hot Sauce in Dunnes on Earl Street (near the spire). They had the original and chicken wing versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

2 bottles for €4.50 in Superquinn at the moment , original or hot wings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Super Value in Leixlip have both of them in stock., can't remember exact price, between €2 and €3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭StandardAngel

Seen loads of the original and the buffalo wings sauce in SuperValu in Clane today.

Never tried them before, which one is the nicest?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never tried them before, which one is the nicest?
    In every single thread people say original. I expect if you had the ready made one it would taste OK, until you had the proper stuff made with REAL butter, instead of some processed american muck they call butter. It would work out cheaper too to buy the butter separately. Also I use franks on plenty of stuff, like chinese food etc.

Some do not make it up properly at all, in which case it would be quite vinegary -i.e. they splash it on straight out of the bottle.

Homebase have two pack Nando's sauces. Hot peri peri and sundried tomato and basil peri peri marinade. Reduced to 1.19 atm. In the BBQ section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Hi Is there anywhere on line that i could get franks hot sauce, i have moved to Conemara and i only have one bottle left Eeeeek! I would love to get a big massive bottle!

Dunnes in Briarhill have them in the city (last time I checked)

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Homebase have two pack Nando's sauces. Hot peri peri and sundried tomato and basil peri peri marinade. Reduced to 1.19 atm. In the BBQ section.
    nando's is very overrated imho, you can make better piri piri in 15 minutes yourself for practically nothing.

i can post up the recipe if anyone is interested. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

nando's is very overrated imho, you can make better piri piri in 15 minutes yourself for practically nothing.

i can post up the recipe if anyone is interested. :)

yeah, throw it up pls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tdiman

hey

so I'd love to make the wings (or thighs) and have them taste the same as they do in Elephant and Castle, does someone have the full recipe for stepping though this (ie. how much butter, vinegar to add to sauce, etc) - and how to cook them (oven v's deep fry)? Would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Summary post here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66098570&postcount=328

You're best to read the whole thread that the above post is from through from start to finish though.

Quick recipe here:

http://jamm222.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I had looked out for this sauce every time I was in a supermarket for about 3 years and I can’t tell you how excited I was when my local tesco had it stocked about a year ago. They’ve stopped now but Dunnes (clondalkin) have it, Superquinn (Lucan) have it and bizarrely my local Spar now has it too!

If I saw it on offer for a euro I’d be buying cases of it.

Go to the franks website for some excellent recipes (for non buffalo wing fans). I use it to spice up a tomato sauce that ends up tasting a but like arrabiata sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Dunnes in Briarhill have them in the city (last time I checked)

dunnes westside have both also, €2.99

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

OK.. after seeing this thread being bumped again and again and again..

.. picked up a bottle of the Original sauce for €2.99 in Dunnes and some chicken wings.

Will give it a shot this week and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

basquille wrote: »
    OK.. after seeing this thread being bumped again and again and again..

.. picked up a bottle of the Original sauce for €2.99 in Dunnes and some chicken wings.

Will give it a shot this week and report back.

Was in a non franks area at the weekend and tried to make the sauce with nandos piri piri, not too bad, but nowehere near the quality of franks.

A good tip for the wings that I use is to coat them in olive oil and then dip in flour before throwing them into the oven, I find it gives them that deep fried look and taste (i know that i should just deep fry them if that's what i want, but this rests easier on the conscience!).

For the sauce, I use 1/3 Franks, 1/3 Butter (normal salted does me) and the final third is a mixture of creme freche and soft cheese (philadelphia like). The benefits of doing it this way was is that it toned down the heat of franks a little and makes it more appealing to a wider audience. I've made them several times now following the above and the eaters (mostly experienced tribeca and elephant and castle wings eaters) have not failed to be impressed.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    A good tip for the wings that I use is to coat them in olive oil and then dip in flour before throwing them into the oven, I find it gives them that deep fried look and taste (i know that i should just deep fry them if that's what i want, but this rests easier on the conscience!).
    No fryer in the house.. so the oven will have to do. Will try the trick with the oil and flour.
    Glenbhoy wrote: »
    For the sauce, I use 1/3 Franks, 1/3 Butter (normal salted does me) and the final third is a mixture of creme freche and soft cheese (philadelphia like). The benefits of doing it this way was is that it toned down the heat of franks a little and makes it more appealing to a wider audience. I've made them several times now following the above and the eaters (mostly experienced tribeca and elephant and castle wings eaters) have not failed to be impressed.
    That sounds great Glenbhoy as the girlfriend is not a fan of spicy food so gonna try the creme fraiché and soft cheese to tone it down. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,832 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No fryer in the house.. so the oven will have to do.

What? :eek:

I had no fryer in the house either but I bought a cheap one just to do the Franks Buffalo wings :D

If you can't spare a tenner to invest in a deep fat fryer, you could always deep fry in a deep pan or a wok. Be careful though!

unkel wrote: »
    What? :eek:

I had no fryer in the house either but I bought a cheap one just to do the Franks Buffalo wings :D

If you can't spare a tenner to invest in a deep fat fryer, you could always deep fry in a deep pan or a wok. Be careful though!
    There's two smells I can't abide - cigarettes and cooking oil!

Not gonna change anytime soon either. ;)

There's two smells I can't abide - cigarettes and cooking oil!

Not gonna change anytime soon either. ;)
    you could get an extension lead and cook them outside. ;)

While we're at it.. why don't I just immerse the extension lead in a puddle of water? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yep, I always cooked outside, kept it in the shed, I know others who put them in their "boiler house".

You can get mini one man friers.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=60-15-E813WH&brands=LLOYTRON

Handy since usually you have to put a lot of oil in to get to the minimum level. Wings have plenty of fat in them anyway so the oven should still be OK.

I have been chopping up fillets very finely, dousing them in cornflour and frying them in butter & coconut oil and then throwing in garlic & franks at the end.

Advertisement