Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franks RedHot Sauce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

A few months back - i think nov/dec. timeframe. They usually reduce it from the normal E2.99 to E1.99 every few months for 1-2 weeks. It will happen again - just a matter of time. That was in Dunnes I should say.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Franks for free!!! In stores now - Just post them back the promo collar and your receipt. One per household. Bargainomnomnomnom :pac:

FxCam_1297263716550.jpg?t=1297264081

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Franks sauce is horrible. Seen it pop up here so much I gave it a go, wish I hadn't bothered.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Franks for free!!! In stores now - Just post them back the promo collar and your receipt. One per household. Bargainomnomnomnom :pac:

Where did you get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭coffee to go

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Where did you get that?

Dunnes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Franks sauce is horrible. Seen it pop up here so much I gave it a go, wish I hadn't bothered.:cool:
    you're doing it wrong. :)

and i'm pretty sure you're using the wrong smiley too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

I am in franks heaven :-) Just picked up a bottle in Superquinn Rathgar, the buffalo one. Did the butter mix thing, amazing! Superquinn have the offer for the free bottle as well so even better :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I am in franks heaven :-) Just picked up a bottle in Superquinn Rathgar, the buffalo one. Did the butter mix thing, amazing! Superquinn have the offer for the free bottle as well so even better :-)

Get the Original, and "Do the butter mix thing." Much nicer!

What I've done is after frying the wings, and dunking in the sauce, whap them into the over to dry the sauce into them a bit.

Omfomfomf nomnomnom!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paddykelly6

Hey can anyone recommend where to find a good blue cheese dip?

Ive been making my own but it's too much hassle / wastage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

too much hassle?

The wings are the hassle part,the blue cheese is the easy part.

Bit of blue cheese(danish is good)
    One or two big spoons of sour cream(depending on how many ppl)
    Same again of Mayo,once again,depending on how much u want.
    Tiny bit of garlic, and i mean tiny!

Blend....DONE!!!!

Homemade is much much nicer than any pre-made ****e you'll pick up!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paddykelly6

Yeah I've been making mine with Blue Cheese, Sour Cream, Cream Cheese and Garlic.

Problem is I never have any of these ingredients (bar garlic) around the house, I've got to buy them each time and they're gona off by the time Im making the wings again!

I know I could try freeze the leftover dip but again hassle to defrost and prob only good for a month at best. Just wondering if there are any decent supermarket options out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Or just eat wings everyday for a week :pac:
    Yeah I've been making mine with Blue Cheese, Sour Cream, Cream Cheese and Garlic.

Problem is I never have any of these ingredients (bar garlic) around the house, I've got to buy them each time and they're gona off by the time Im making the wings again!

I know I could try freeze the leftover dip but again hassle to defrost and prob only good for a month at best. Just wondering if there are any decent supermarket options out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

Well worth the effort to make your own while wings are cooking! Yummee, not allowing myself a wingfest until I lose another 4 lbs in WW.

Ingredients:
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons finely minced onion
    1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
    1/4 cup finely minced fresh parsley
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 cup crumbled blue cheese

Directions:
    Mix ingredients together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Go for it and put into an airtight container, good for a dip with veggie crudites when you feel guilty after a wingfest.

if you just want something cheap, cheerful and ridiculously easy, you can make a blue cheese dip better than most shop bought ones with nothing more than a bit of crumbed blue cheese and some mayo, just watering it down slightly to make it a little runnier.

i've tried a heap of different homemade dips methods, but this is by far the easiest and definitely the only one i can be arsed to do at short notice with very little in the fridge. :D

it works equally well with roasted garlic (stick a few cloves in the oven, skin on till they start to brown, then squeeze out of the skin & mash into the dip), roasted chilli (same method as with garlic), fresh chives, dill, lemon, capers or anything else you fancy with a crack of pepper.

just gradually water down the mayo to dip consistency and use your imagination. :)

it really couldn't be any easier and it works surprisingly well. we've tried cream cheese, sour cream, greek yoghurt and allsorts, but watery mayo does the trick every time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

http://www.micschilli.ie/

This Irish company that makes chili sauce was on RTE this evening.
    "The story of Mic's Chilli and Mic's change from structural engineer to chilli entrepreneur, will be featured on Nationwide on RTE1 at 7pm on the 23rd of March."

Haven't tried, but gonna keep an eye out in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I grabbed a few bottle of there stuff a week ago.

The 2 pepper one is bout the hotness of franks but luckly their ones go all the way upto " With 12 Habanero Chillies" versions

GtpwM.jpg

INFERNO SAUCE EXTREME:

Judgement day for chilli lovers. Warning: Even the most hardcore chilli fans will find this scoundrel hot! With 12 Habanero Chillies, this really isn't for the uninitiated!
    http://www.micschilli.ie/

This Irish company that makes chili sauce was on RTE this evening.
    "The story of Mic's Chilli and Mic's change from structural engineer to chilli entrepreneur, will be featured on Nationwide on RTE1 at 7pm on the 23rd of March."

Haven't tried, but gonna keep an eye out in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

Tried the Extreme, yep it's the real deal. Still burning! ;)

They've got a link to the Nationwide piece on their Facebook page (it's at the beginning of the program) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mics-Chilli/129969363721463

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Franks Red Hot Sauce is going to be €2 in superquinn from wednesday.

also if anybody is interested, Frank makes an appearance in the latest Epic Meal Time episode:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you just want something cheap, cheerful and ridiculously easy, you can make a blue cheese dip better than most shop bought ones with nothing more than a bit of crumbed blue cheese and some mayo, just watering it down slightly to make it a little runnier.

i've tried a heap of different homemade dips methods, but this is by far the easiest and definitely the only one i can be arsed to do at short notice with very little in the fridge. :D

it works equally well with roasted garlic (stick a few cloves in the oven, skin on till they start to brown, then squeeze out of the skin & mash into the dip), roasted chilli (same method as with garlic), fresh chives, dill, lemon, capers or anything else you fancy with a crack of pepper.

just gradually water down the mayo to dip consistency and use your imagination. :)

it really couldn't be any easier and it works surprisingly well. we've tried cream cheese, sour cream, greek yoghurt and allsorts, but watery mayo does the trick every time now.

a mixture of mayo, sour cream (or creme fraiche) and a healthy squeeze of lemon juice with some (plenty) crumbed blue cheese does the job for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Got a bottle of regular and a bottle of the wings version in Supervalu, Blessington for 1.99 each last night. They have the promo tags too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Where do people buy their wings from? Anytime I see them in Tesco/Aldi/Lidl, they look grim quality wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Lidl ones are great defrost them and put in a bag with flour & pepper then fry them Super

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Any one interested in hot curries, give this a try....

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/chilli_powder.htm#Satans Ashes

Go on, I dare ya !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭RayCon

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Where do people buy their wings from? Anytime I see them in Tesco/Aldi/Lidl, they look grim quality wise.

My personal favs are Dunnes - approx 12 in a tray. I just bake the **** out of them until mega crispy , then cover in Franks ...

homer_mmmm_avatar_picture_82900.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

The-Rigger wrote: »

Ive used the ones from tesco several times & reckon their fine, butcher quality ones are better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thedeal

I think Butcher wings are always that bit better and seem to be a lot bigger than the supermarket pre-packed wings!

its the same as buying any other sort of meat, you get what you pay for.

that said, i usually just get either the wings or thighs packs from supervalu for €2.99 and they're normally grand, you just have to have a look through the packs on display to find the ones with fewer (but larger) pieces in so you have less chopping to do and get a higher meat to bone ratio.

personally, if i have the choice i go for thighs every time, just take the bone out & cut into 3 strips (trim the excess skin, but leave the rest on) and you are left with all the good wing type meat and crispy skin, but without the bones and you seem to get a bit more meat for your money compared to the packs of wings and it only takes a little longer to de-bone them than it does to cut up the wings.

coat in flour (3 parts plain to 1 part cornflour) with a teaspoon of smoked paprika and black pepper before deep frying on a high heat until golden brown and whilst that's on the go melt your butter (or ghee) and cook out with your franks original until it starts to separate and then toss your wings/thighs in it and you're done.

incidentally, using a wok and flat spatula for the melting & tossing makes life a lot easier, particularly if you're cooking for a large number of people and need to do your wings in several batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

My local butcher does me a kilo of wings for a fiver, they are always fresh and tasty.... I've been off chicken wings for lent, I'm practically salivating for franks and wings now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I normally get the pre-packed ones in Dunnes. Use half of them the night I buy them and then freeze the other half for another time.

Oh I feel like eating some chicken wings now............ :)

Advertisement