Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1950 Dodge Coronet hearse

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

G Luxel wrote: »

Doesnt it bear a style resemblance to a certain SSongyang Rodius:)

Jesus H christ! thats the worst looking abomination of a hearse I've EVER seen.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Jesus H christ! thats the worst looking abomination of a hearse I've EVER seen.:eek:

Not only that but the guy who builds it is some @rsehole, I was at a show last year looking at that particular model hearse and couldn't but notice that the build quality was, to say the least questionable, he was on me like a spider when he knew I was after spotting a few "problems" and proceeded to rant and rave that if I could build a better hearse then go ahead, I just replied to him that he was the one who was putting his shoddy workmanship out there for all to see and I know if it was me I wouldn't have put the hearse on show unless it was properly finished off, pretty poor show by all accounts, he could have just said something along the lines of it being a display model only or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

What was wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

What was wrong with it?

Lots of things, joints not finished properly, wrong type chrome/stainless trims used in the extension, rubber seals not fitting properly and general fit and finish all around in general.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Originally Posted by carchaeologist viewpost.gif

vaux4.jpg

vaux2.jpg
    Just noticed this, that's an awful lot of car for front wheel drive to be carrying around!

mb1725 wrote: »
    Just noticed this, that's an awful lot of car for front wheel drive to be carrying around!
    Tis,but you would need a mile long propshaft otherwise! Also the rear track is much wider too,so the car would look silly in RWD.

I often wonder how they get these cars designed,do they sit down with a computer,or just slice up an insignia hoping for the best? I cant decide if i like the look of it or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Another oddball..
    0713401001232978659.jpg

.....you'd certainly have the last laugh at your own funeral....brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 8464

I often wonder how they get these cars designed,do they sit down with a computer,or just slice up an insignia hoping for the best?

One factory I worked in did a full size drawing of the hearse before starting to build it. Then as it was being built small changes were made to the design. The limo was a different story, it was taken in, cut in half then pannels made for it. At the start they didnt know if they could actually finish the job. From what I can remember it took about 9 weeks from it was stripped until it was driving out the door to go to a show in England. These were all Mercedes E Class, and brand new.

• Advertisement

Only prob with a Limo is side impact protection isnt great...:eek:
    IMG_0007.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 8464

Thankfully we never had one come back with serious side damage but had one come back with a major frontal impact. The middle doors opened and closed perfectly but the front and back ones were a bit tight. The car was fixed and back on the road.

Anyone want to take a punt at naming this Hearse?
    Full?id=3742350
    Not entirely sure is it the car or just the trim bits for sale on DD.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1491589

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Could be a Vauxhall Wyvern? The bonnet flash looks familiar. B38703.jpghttp://www.mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B38703.jpg

Lokks very similar alright,not a car i even would consider as hearse materiel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Anyone want to take a punt at naming this Hearse?
    Full?id=3742350
    Not entirely sure is it the car or just the trim bits for sale on DD.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1491589

Looks like he wants you to make 'a hurse for a horse' from the bits.:D

From the Classic hearse register..
    history-british-hearse-213x300.jpg
    There have been many books written about hearses but these have all been primarily about models built in the USA. So we felt it was about time the British hearse had its own coverage.
    The pictorial history of the British hearse starts from wheeled biers & horse drawns right up to the present day. This is not just a ‘Mourning News Special’ but a proper book with over 200 pages and 500 pictures telling the story of how the styling of the hearse has changed.
    Originally we set out to produce just 100 copies in August last year, but these sold out within months. A further 150 were ordered & we now have NO copies left.
    We are now collecting material for a second edition & also on Irish built hearses if anyone has anything they would like to share with us please contact us.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Just seen this thread,My dad was!! an undertaker.I must have a look and see if I can find any old pic's of his hearse.All I can remember is the number plate began with IT..(scared me because of the film!!)lol

Just seen this thread,My dad was!! an undertaker.I must have a look and see if I can find any old pic's of his hearse.All I can remember is the number plate began with IT..(scared me because of the film!!)lol
    Car was from Leitrim so,and pre May 1972. Some scanned pics would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

OK IT WAS SOMETHNG CALLED ZAFFER..?? IM STIL TRYING TO GET MORE INFO!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

OK IT WAS SOMETHNG CALLED ZAFFER..?? IM STIL TRYING TO GET MORE INFO!;)

Probably a Ford Zephyr.

195498120_3d1ad139e5.jpg?v=0

3659938374_cd493fd9a6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭granadamad

Looks like he wants you to make 'a hurse for a horse' from the bits.:D

thats a vauxhall Wyvern

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭greendragon3

would this be what you are on about rachel ??

newbeast031.jpg
    newbeast032.jpg
    newbeast035.jpg
    newbeast036.jpg
    newbeast037.jpg

my dad bought this about two months ago in manorhamilton co.lietrim , its a 1949 dodge b2b hearse , petrol 6 cylinder flat head engine with a 3 speed manual gearbox !!!:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

would this be what you are on about rachel ??

newbeast031.jpg
    newbeast032.jpg
    newbeast035.jpg
    newbeast036.jpg
    newbeast037.jpg

my dad bought this about two months ago in manorhamilton co.lietrim , its a 1949 dodge b2b hearse , petrol 6 cylinder flat head engine with a 3 speed manual gearbox !!!:rolleyes::D

Is he going to restore it? It looks like it's based on a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Originally a pick up.

Great to see it.

Wow! Thats nice! Definatly a good canditate for resto.
    Wonder when it was converted into a hearse aand by who.

the history is a bit sketchy at the moment , from what we can gather it was imported as a pick up from the states in 1952 and hand built into a hearse , another pick up was subsequently brought from the states later on to act as a doner for a spare engine , this was then buried in the bog by a hymac !!!:mad::mad: "IT" has been lying in that shed for nearly twenty years till we dragged her out ! sadly the engine and spare engine are both siezed but we are trying to free them out at the minute !:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

very interesting , at the start of its life in america was it left hand drive ? best of luck with IT nice to see it saved

yeah sorry i should have mentioned that ! "IT" was converted to right hand drive when it got to these shores , a nephew of the man that owned it is trying to track down more old pictures of "IT" and maybe some history .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

a very interesting project , thats what i like about old irish cars the historic value , if i see IT at a car show when its finished i will say hello

Advertisement